Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2005, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
why oh why have Mercedes ruined the G-wagon! they stopped production of the G-class and have introduced this?!
as Aditya mentioned, it was a cult favourite with a bunch of hardcore followers.
there is just too much resemblance to the R-class or the ML-class.
i'm having a bout of depression thanks to you Daimler-Chrysler!
The GL is a new vehicle and not a replacement for the G-wagon.the G-wagon is still in production and will get a minor exterior revamp next year along with a major interior update.

It looks similar to the ML but has definatelt more rugged looks to go along with its claimed exceptional off-road capability.
Old 14th December 2005, 09:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

I like it...its very cool...

much better then the horrid looking ML even though this is based on ML it has what ML lacked, the length...

anyhow this would be a nice buy for India and if we are ever looking at SUVs this one would be my pick for the new one..instead of the cayenne or Range..
Old 14th December 2005, 11:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yawn.....another Mercedes in another segment......
Old 12th March 2007, 13:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes GL off-roading videos

Link:

Last edited by hanmust : 12th March 2007 at 13:20.
Old 15th March 2007, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Wow great videos...Didn't know that GL is a perfect off-roader. Its a real young brother for the ultimate G-wagon..thanx HanMust
Old 25th July 2010, 14:44   #21
BHPian

Hello guys!

Here are a few photos of my facelifted GL500. I ordered it in Feb 2010, and it was delivered in June.
Attached Thumbnails
The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1602-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1599-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1621-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1603-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1616-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1608-large.jpg  

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look-img_1607-large.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 23:10   #22
BHPian

Great looking GL, I like the lightning package and strongly believe it should be standard. Is it Jet Black or Metallic black?
Old 12th August 2010, 00:28   #23
BHPian

Thanks VIPER_SRT! The LED Package is not standard across the range. Its standard only for the GL500.
And it's Metallic black, or Obsidian black.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:16   #24
BHPian

Any idea if this is available in India? It isn't on their site.

@TheStig Congratulations on a gorgeous looking car. How the experience so far?
Old 19th August 2010, 23:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev.d View Post

Its available in India in 4 versions, 2 diesel and 2 petrol. I'm not sure if the Indian version is also manufactured in US.
Old 20th August 2010, 13:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been Available for the past 3 or 4 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Its available in India in 4 versions, 2 diesel and 2 petrol. I'm not sure if the Indian version is also manufactured in US.
As far as i know there are only two engine variants, one petrol GL350 CGI and the diesel GL350 CDI. In India you dont have the liberty to customise your car and hences all cars are standard. I have one and two of my friends are getting theirs this week
Old 20th August 2010, 18:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks sanjeev.d!!
It has been a great experience so far! I haven't had the chance to take her off road yet (and one part of me doesn't want to hurt those wheels!) but on the road this thing is a monster!
Almost S-Class like to drive, really comfortable, plenty of low end torque and bucketfuls of power!
The ideal vehicle for those loooong cruises with family and the whole house

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

As far as i know there are only two engine variants, one petrol GL350 CGI and the diesel GL350 CDI. In India you dont have the liberty to customise your car and hences all cars are standard. I have one and two of my friends are getting theirs this week
Yeah it's really sad that MB India doesn't offer any customization options with any of their cars! But the GL is pretty nicely speced in India, has got most of the bells and whistles I opted for.

And the 3 liter diesel on offer seems to be appropriate (even though its not quite a performer in this vehicle) for Indian conditions. Its the best option when you consider the fuel pricing and all.

And congrats to your friends! They have made a wise choice! Do ask them to post Their experiences with the GL.
Old 20th August 2010, 20:06   #28
BHPian

@VIPER_SRT Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going the GL way though. Still dithering over the E-class
@speedy 3 or 4 months? I really need to stay up-to-date. So, you've got a GL huh? Taken her off-road yet? Do post a review about it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd like to read that.
@TheStig Those wheels are great-looking. But if the car's been made for roughing it out, I'm sure it can handle the terrain. Let me know when you've done that...without your family in the back seat, of course. I'm not a family man yet, so I'll have to take your word on the family-style cruising. Happy driving, mate!
Old 21st August 2010, 12:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

I saw one GL420 CDI on this site, not sure if its an imported one. Here's the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-tested-3.html
A press release said that there are 4 variations on this site Mercedes launches GL-Class & S500L in India | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos
I guess MB India doesnt want to get into too many variations. It sucks if you cannot customize GL esp when spending so much on the car. There are 3 versions in US and the I feel the diesel is underpowered with 210 horses for such a beautiful body. I like the power 3rd row seats. It drives like a car, amazingly smooth and comfortable. I test drove all the diesels including Q7 TDI and found the X5 (265 horses) to be the fastest and most responsive. Since I've only one kid at this point, I'll think about GL when I have another one

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 21st August 2010 at 12:35.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Yeah it's really sad that MB India doesn't offer any customization options with any of their cars! But the GL is pretty nicely speced in India, has got most of the bells and whistles I opted for.

And the 3 liter diesel on offer seems to be appropriate (even though its not quite a performer in this vehicle) for Indian conditions. Its the best option when you consider the fuel pricing and all.

And congrats to your friends! They have made a wise choice! Do ask them to post Their experiences with the GL.
Yes i have to agree the car is neatly speced and the customers would not have any complains. Some of them dont even know the basic features of the car .

The 3 liter diesel engine is apt for our roads and for the FE obsessed people. Enthusiasts suffer because of this.

Will pass on the message, but since they are not members they wont be able to post even if they would want to. These are cars for them and its like the car is comfy,big,looks nice and not as common as a Range Rover so i want it, and not people who would see the true potential of the car. By the way a friend of mine has A GL 420 CDI that he had directly imported.

Quote:
@speedy 3 or 4 months? I really need to stay up-to-date. So, you've got a GL huh? Taken her off-road yet? Do post a review about it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd like to read that.
Thats not my personal car but does belong in the same Family. The person using the car is not adventurous like me, but more for the city and highway user. The other reason the car was bought is for the safety it provides. I prefer keeping some cars private as this is not a private forum. I am not good with reviews and dont do any of that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
I saw one GL420 CDI on this site, not sure if its an imported one. Here's the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-tested-3.html
A press release said that there are 4 variations on this site Mercedes launches GL-Class & S500L in India | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos
I guess MB India doesnt want to get into too many variations. It sucks if you cannot customize GL esp when spending so much on the car. There are 3 versions in US and the I feel the diesel is underpowered with 210 horses for such a beautiful body. I like the power 3rd row seats. It drives like a car, amazingly smooth and comfortable. I test drove all the diesels including Q7 TDI and found the X5 (265 horses) to be the fastest and most responsive. Since I've only one kid at this point, I'll think about GL when I have another one
That is a direct import and belongs to Hanmust's friend.

The Article does mention all the engine options available for the GL, but for India only the 350 and the 350 cdi are offered.

So much so that a friend of mine wanted the interiors black on a black car, but MB refused, so my friend went the Range Rover way. I fail to understand too, why we are not permitted to Customise our cars. I have raised this issue numerous times but no response. It just gives me a feeling of having to take what is thrown at me wether i like it or not.

Last edited by speedy : 21st August 2010 at 13:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks