Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2005, 02:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

The New Mercedes GL Class-First Look

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Mercedes-Benz is poised to enter yet another market with the all-new GL-Class, a seven-seat luxury sport-utility vehicle that will be produced in the company’s Alabama plant along with the M-Class and R-Class. Already offering the broadest and most diverse product portfolio in the automotive industry, Mercedes-Benz is launching its first large sport-utility. The new GL-Class will make its world premiere at the upcoming North American International Auto Show in Detroit, open to the public January 14 – 22, 2006.

It’s no coincidence that the new GL model designation echoes already legendary Mercedes-Benz G-Class. While the GL-Class is built on an entirely new platform, the venerable G-Class sport-utility is entering its 26th year of production and will continue to be marketed beside the new GL.

Mercedes-Benz Safety in a Premium SUV

The graceful body of the new GL-Class will be 200 inches in length, 75.6 inches wide and 72.4 inches tall, boasting an aerodynamic drag coefficient of 0.37. Its steel unit body will provide outstanding passive safety with a high-strength occupant cell protected by technologically advanced front and rear crumple zones that include new provisions to help reduce potential injuries to pedestrians and cyclists. The GL will come with two-stage front air bags for the driver and front passenger, side air bags in the front and 2nd-row seats, and curtain air bags that span all three rows of seats.

The ultra-modern engine line-up in all GL-Class models provides superlative drive comfort and compelling performance coupled with superior fuel consumption figures compared with other vehicles in the class. Alongside the 165-kW/224-hp V6 engine in the GL 320 CDI, the range of diesel models includes the new-generation high-performance V8 diesel in the GL 420 CDI, which now has an output of 225 kW/ 306 hp and maximum torque of 700 Nm. Both diesel-powered versions undercut the EU 4 limits and feature a maintenance-free diesel particulate filter. In addition to the newly developed 5.5-litre, 285-kW/388-hp engine in the GL 500, launched earlier in the new S-Class, the second unit in this ultra-modern V8 family of engines is celebrating its world premiere in the GL-Class. In the GL 450 the 4.6-litre engine develops 250 kW/340 hp. Both engines also fulfil the stringent EU 4 limits (USA: LEV II standard).

All GL-Class engine variants come with the standard-fit 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT. Excellent performance and low fuel consumption result not just from the perfect combination of ultra-modern engines with 7G-TRONIC and the friction-optimised powertrain. Another important factor is the comparatively low gross vehicle weight thanks to the unitised body and the excellent aerodynamics (Cd 0.37) for such a large vehicle.

The GL will come with four-wheel independent suspension, speed-sensitive power steering and 18-inch 265 / 60 all-season tires. The vehicle has a 7,500- pound Class V towing capacity and is available with optional height-adjustable Airmatic springing with ADS adaptive damping.
Inside, the GL will be fitted with real burl walnut wood trim, power front seats and a glass sunroof with a fixed glass panel over the third-row seats. The two third-row seats can be stowed electrically at the push of a button, either separately or together, to provide a totally flat cargo floor. As a five-seater, the GL can carry 43.8 cubic feet of cargo, and with the second row seats stowed as well, there’s more than 83 cubic feet of cargo room.

In addition to the widely acclaimed Mercedes-Benz 4MATIC system, standard features such as DSR downhill speed regulation, hill-start assist, and a special off-road ABS algorithm will help drivers during off-road excursions. An optional Off-Road Pro package will include a two-speed transfer case and locks for the center and rear differentials. The package also includes modified air suspension that can increase ground clearance to 12 inches, which also raises its low-speed fording depth to more than 23 inches.

For more information and larger images visit:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2051208.005

Last edited by merve_extreme : 9th December 2005 at 02:41.
Old 9th December 2005, 02:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

looks neat....... i'm at a loss for words....
Old 9th December 2005, 03:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bloody hell! The cube like shape of the earlier G classes really put me off. But this one has sort of morphed into the M Class. But i hope it retains its off-road capabilities despite a more civilised look. And when do AMG start work on this?
Old 9th December 2005, 04:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is the all new GL class.This is not the G-class or G-wagon as we call it.The GL and G-Class will co exist.Mercedes has decided to increase the lifespan of the G-class because there is still demand for it and it has a large fan following,it will get a interior redesign next year with minor modifications to the exterior as well without changing any of its old classic shape.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 9th December 2005 at 04:13.
Old 9th December 2005, 06:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why is Daimler making such a big deal. Its just a stretched M class.
Old 9th December 2005, 06:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I can see these selling as hot cakes in the US by young mums alike.

I like the increased seating capacity, and the XC90/Grand Cherokee/Toyota design cues. Very americaney!

Nevertheless, a handsome machine.
Old 9th December 2005, 12:13   #7
M66
BHPian

WOW!!!! Could Mercedes have ruined this any other way! I'm so glad they decided to continue with the old G-Wagen. This is like a glorified peice of Hyundai Tucson and I don't like it at all (except for the interior which looks classy enough).
Old 9th December 2005, 13:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

The G-Wagen is a cult car. It's one of those machines that you can take anywhere - from fields to 7 star hotels. This GL just looks like another "run of the mill" SUV. Beautiful interiors, but then, that's to be expected from any luxury car manufacturer these days. At 200 inches long, it seems like a "me too" vehicle in the Escalade / Navigator segment. It may sell well, but seriously, this American influence IMO, is ruining Mercedes.
Old 9th December 2005, 19:43   #9
BHPian

I wonder which is spacious...my room or the car's interiors!! Great looking interiors....the brand name is going to take a battering , Merc shoud have done better than this IMO. This is more like a reply to all the American BIGGIES.
Old 9th December 2005, 20:06   #10
BHPian

Reminds me of this :

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/exorbitant.html
Old 9th December 2005, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

very similar to an M class.
Any way nice pics merve extreme.

rev
Old 9th December 2005, 21:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
The G-Wagen is a cult car. It's one of those machines that you can take anywhere - from fields to 7 star hotels. This GL just looks like another "run of the mill" SUV.
I have to agree with Aditya , the oroginal G-Wagen is an amazing looking vehicle. This looks too toned down to have any character and seems to be just a freshened up and lengthened M-Class.
Old 11th December 2005, 00:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Some new pictures.More to come later.

Dont tell me it dosen't look beautiful.

Just look at its presence while it is approaching head on.

Looks best in this image.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 11th December 2005 at 00:53.
Old 11th December 2005, 07:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

G - de-classed

why oh why have Mercedes ruined the G-wagon! they stopped production of the G-class and have introduced this?!
as Aditya mentioned, it was a cult favourite with a bunch of hardcore followers.
there is just too much resemblance to the R-class or the ML-class.
i'm having a bout of depression thanks to you Daimler-Chrysler!

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2005 at 07:42.
Old 11th December 2005, 10:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

The G wagon still lives on and is being built in Austria!!!! This is the GL - a stretched M to compete with the Surburbans, EScalades, Navigators

Last edited by ajmat : 11th December 2005 at 10:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks