Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 19:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: F1: Turkish Grand Prix 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
But with the DRS, Its getting too artificial!
+1 to that (and rest of your post as well, btw)
I liken the DRS system to using artificial sweetener in your tea, instead of normal sugar. You get the sweetness, but the taste is just not the same.

Also, good to see Vettel is not throwing away his pole positions this season.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:54   #17
BHPian

Yes, even I do not get the point of the DRS! It encourages overtaking by putting the driver ahead at a disadvantage!

When you do have a fast car and the ability to overtake, you don't really need the DRS system, as was proved by Lewis in China, and Kobayashi, Petrov in every race they drive!

And I read somewhere that the DRS system will not be available for the Monaco circuit. There are no real straights to justify the DRS system, I guess.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:06   #18
BHPian

DRS in Monaco would be dangerous, impractical and essentially useless as mentioned by esoticoreventon.

But just to gain more knowledge, DRS is not something that adds weight to a car, aka KERS and not using it does not, in effect, impact the cars' performance. Is my understanding correct? I mean, KERS, if you dont use it, or if it malfunctions, its just deadweight, adversely impacting your car's performance. DRS, as far as my knowledge is concerned, is not like that. True?
Old 10th May 2011, 13:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I was near the inside marshal post between turns 4,5,6 & 7 during the Sunday race at Istanbul.

Right from start we could see the clean lines being taken by Vettel not stressing the car really and he kept on piling the lead. The real interesting was the close race being run for number two spot between the RB & Ferrari car. However once Alonso lost position number two it was a bit of bore. The fun was to watch fight for next few position.

Turn 6 made interesting late braking and outside line overtaking spot that was used by two cars (More fun was watching spins and crashes during GP2 earlier in the day). However as every one says watching track side is very interesting but you are not able to keep track of positions and pits stops unless watching the thing on TV.

But sounds of glorious notes from engines was something you can not get on TV. Although it get hugely loud without ear plugs.

Loudest noise is at grandstands where I later positioned myself right at finish line opposite the pits to see last few laps. And finally to see Vettel taking chequered flag and the podium champagne showers.

All in all a lovely experience to be part of team from India looking at way things are run so that we can organise the Indian F1 properly. Already the induction camps have been held for marshal's and soon detailed training schedule would be announced.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

DRS was introduced as a desperate measure to increase overtaking.
It is not ideal and everyone is aware of that.

In the advanced world of aerodynamics, it is impossible to follow cars through corners. Hence a system was introduced to aid overtaking on straights.

What DRS does not do is allow a slower car to overtake a faster one.
A car has to be within 4-6 tenths at the corner before the straight, a slower car will not be able to do that consistently whereas a faster car will.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks