Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 18:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

F1: Turkish Grand Prix 2011

Vettel on pole again at the Turkish GP. Will Weber ever beat him to pole this season? We will have to wait on that. Mercedes have looked strong in Istanbul, with Nico starting on the second row. They were solid in final free practice as well and if Nico can keep the charging McLarens at bay, Mercedes will have their first podium.

Alonso got the best out of his car, which is not saying much about the Ferrari at the moment. Ferrari need to work on their car at a feverish pace before the european races start, if they are to keep within sight of the title.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Re: F1: Turkish Grand Prix 2011

A pretty routine Qualifying session for Redbull! Well, Mercedes GP seems have done something special this weekend! Bad day for Mclaren! :( would have loved to See Lewis a li'l bit higher. Well, If it rains tomo, then....

What the hell was wrong with Massa? How could he have so screwed up the Qualifying session? Even if it rains tomo, his strategy still doesn't make sense!

Was really really sad to see Kobayaschi going out with not even a lap completed. But i guess tomorrow we will see some awesome racing from him...

Looking forward to tomorrow, and me being an eternal optimist, Lewis for Victory!!!
Old 7th May 2011, 22:09   #3
mgh
BHPian

this year the top five teams, Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, and Mercedes, look like they will pick up all the points. other teams will not have much chance to pick up points even for ninth and tenth places. Kobayashi with his wild streak might get lucky sometimes, but others not from the top five teams would not get even a chance to get lucky.
Old 7th May 2011, 22:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
A pretty routine Qualifying session for Redbull! Well, Mercedes GP seems have done something special this weekend! Bad day for Mclaren! :( would have loved to See Lewis a li'l bit higher. Well, If it rains tomo, then....
I can see Merc even taking a win if they pan out their strategy right, starting firstly with putting enough gas in the car

Quote:
What the hell was wrong with Massa? How could he have so screwed up the Qualifying session? Even if it rains tomo, his strategy still doesn't make sense!
People who made their second runs weren't improving and hence he decided not to run his hot lap. I am liking this line of thought from Ferrari. They ought to put the cars on different strategies and not be afraid to experiment.

Quote:
Was really really sad to see Kobayaschi going out with not even a lap completed. But i guess tomorrow we will see some awesome racing from him...
Looking forward to tomorrow, and me being an eternal optimist, Lewis for Victory!!!
Am not sad at all. It will be nervous for the drivers to have Kobe on their back I am looking at some great overtakes from him since Sauber has the highest top speed measured at the speed trap.

Hoping for a Alonso podium! Also expecting a strong race from Schumi!
Old 8th May 2011, 00:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
People who made their second runs weren't improving and hence he decided not to run his hot lap. I am liking this line of thought from Ferrari. They ought to put the cars on different strategies and not be afraid to experiment.
I am not sure what kind of gamble it was, but didn't look too smart to me. He ran in Q1 with soft tyres and set P1 when all he had to to do was to be in top 17. So in Q3 probably he didn't have a new set to do his hot lap. We will know tomorrow if Massa is going to be a hero or a zero.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a sunny morning in Istanbul today. So what are chances of wet track? The change from day before overcast and freezing rain to sunny yesterday was magical.

Vettel did wonderful job even after crashing out during practise.

Slightly OT : Awesome feeling watching the cars roar by at multiple apex turn #8 yesterday from marshal points and service road. And then seeing most of the drivers up close in paddock.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

I read in the papers today that RBR rebuilt the same car that Vettel had crashed in the practice session! And he got pole position from that car. Two things that are extraordinary here:
1. The car was put back together so well in such a short time! The engineers must be sheer geniuses!
2. Vettel put the crash behind him and drove that car impeccably! He pitted his car in the final qualifying when there was still some time left for the session to close! So confident they were in the time they had set.

I have nothing but respect for that team!
Old 8th May 2011, 13:11   #8
BHPian

@Schumifan... Ha ha ha!!! Yeah enough fuel!!!
Yes, there was no improvement from people who went for a second run, But Massa didn't even go for a single run! He didn't have enough fresh tyres to go for a run, and they HAD to preserve the tyres. But if he had been out, he could have gotten up higher, Jenson and Lewis, both made mistakes on the final laps, he could have even been up there! I agree with SilentEngine.

And yes bro, Its gonna be awesome to see Kobayashi race today! I'm so enjoying watching Kobe, Petrov, And Sutil to race tomorrow.

@sudev... You are at the Turkish GP?

@amitoj..... they could have even prepared the car before FP2, But they decided to take their time to make sure vettel's car was perfect!

And yes, I agree with you! Adrian Newey is just epic!

And, looks like theres NO RAIN! Which is actually a good thing but I love wet races!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by v12 : 8th May 2011 at 20:39.
Old 8th May 2011, 20:06   #9
BHPian

Vettel wins turkish grand prix without any difficulty
Old 9th May 2011, 08:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whats the matter with Mercedes??
What's with Mercedes? They seem to get to good positions on qualifying only to fall behind in the race. Schumacher was bumping into quite a few guys in the Turkish GP and lost quite a few places that he built up during the first few laps.

Ferrari on the podium
Ferrari would heave a collective sigh of relief at a podium at last. Great drive by Alonso. But Red Bull have clearly set the bar this season - they look like a tough team to beat - once they get the KERS working too they are going to be even faster!!

Exciting young Turks
Kobiashi, Di Resta, Petrov - there are quite a few good young drivers out there. If they can make it work, I think we are set to see a great set of drivers in the future at F1. Peter Sauber has an great eye for new talent!!

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:42   #11
BHPian

There is no stopping Vettel this year in my opinion, just brilliant race he drove. I am a die hard Schumi fan but have to admit that he is not the old Schumi anymore and the way he was hassled by all and sundry looks very difficult that he might be on tops very soon, but would love to eat my words. Nico shows pace but cannot sustain once the tyres have worn out and what was with the mclaren pit crew they were very ordinary yesterday. Ferrari are back to pace and alonso could challenge the red bulls.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the ban on refueling has made pitstops even more critical. With expectation of sub 3-second stops for tyre changes, the crew cannot afford to make any fumbles. Hamilton was lucky to get away yesterday with a 15 second stop, but Massa lost few places.

Also, DRS system is getting a bit too artificial. Overtake-on-demand looks a bit too easy.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:24   #13
BHPian

This GP edition, though interesting enough, looked too easy for Vettel!! The more interesting fights looked like they were not covered by the cameras. I am deeply impressed with RedBull Racing, super impressed. This is the year for them. Michael, ideally, should not have come back. He is barely able to fight off Force India!
And as for Force India, nice work by Sutil. However Paul di Resta seems to be the faster driver, just unlucky perhaps.
@SilentEngine, I agree with you. DRS system makes it look like my NFS games on PS2/3 where you have the cheatcodes. Not fun. KERS makes it interesting but if I were F1, I would remove all these and have just aerodynamics and engine power, coupled with race strategy and drivers' skills fighting. THAT would be racing!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Vettel is really showing good maturity this season. The way he controlled the race was awesome & completely deserved the win. If he is going to show this form this season then he will be champion by the time F1 goes to Belgium

Finally, Ferrari gets into the mix for the first podium this season. Tough luck for Massa in the pits though!

The Mclaren boys fighting each other was good fun to watch.

Mercedes team has this big question mark in their face, they did good in qualifying but they slowly faded away through the race. I am sure Michael was getting restless when he did all those stupid defending.

Petrov's move on his team mate looked stupid. He was trying to put him to the wall and in a way he could have got both the Renaults out of the race!

The Turkish GP for a change was really exciting to watch this time with the awful number of overtakes. But with the DRS, Its getting too artificial!
Old 9th May 2011, 19:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

The DRS system has definitely spiced things up. Would be interesting to see how it is used in Monaco. Vettel looked untouchable on sunday. The other teams seemed to have closed the gap a bit especially Ferrari and with more updates coming for the next race, you cannot count Alonso out just yet.

Mercedes looked good over 1 lap but their race pace was way off. Renault must be hoping that Kubica can return to racing in the latter part of the season as their car is looking really good this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks