Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 11:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: F1 2011 - Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I dont think no tyre changes along with no fuel stops would make for interesting racing.

If both are there together, everybody would be pretty much stuck to a limited number of strategies. And everybody's pace along the race will change in a similar way with decreasing fuel loads and worsening tyre grip.

Today, everybody's fuel load decreases and with tyre change ability many people opt for very varied strategies. And when you have varied strategies all over the field, this puts pressure on drivers who are on their fast stints to overtake lots of other drivers like we see today. Ability to manage tyre wear and pace on different kinds of tyres makes this very very interesting today.

But if you remove both tyre stops and fuel stops, strategies will get limited heavily, and thus overall overtaking will decrease.
Yes, strategies will get limited heavily and that will force drivers to try harder and harder to overtake on the track. Overtaking in pits is not overtaking as far as I am concerned. Couple of years ago (when fuel stops were legal), if you following someone (to overtake) you pit a lap or 2 later and you get ahead. Now it's you pit a lap or 2 earlier and you are ahead. That's not overtaking.

Managing tyres is also a skill. Some will manage it better than others. Some might want the glory to be upfront in the beginning thus losing in the end. Some will try and take the risk of going more aggressive just to overtake and hope it comes together in the end. I think it will be more fun.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Yes, strategies will get limited heavily and that will force drivers to try harder and harder to overtake on the track. Overtaking in pits is not overtaking as far as I am concerned. Couple of years ago (when fuel stops were legal), if you following someone (to overtake) you pit a lap or 2 later and you get ahead. Now it's you pit a lap or 2 earlier and you are ahead. That's not overtaking.

Managing tyres is also a skill. Some will manage it better than others. Some might want the glory to be upfront in the beginning thus losing in the end. Some will try and take the risk of going more aggressive just to overtake and hope it comes together in the end. I think it will be more fun.
Unfortunately, the top F1 teams and drivers today are too closely matched. So unless you put drivers on different strategies, you wont get much on track overtaking at all. Which is why this year has seen so much more on track overtaking than previous years.

Its all good wanting the driver's to really have to work much harder to overtake. But the thing is your situation may make it so hard, that it will be next to impossible. And most drivers will actually take it safe, and score points, rather than go for glory by taking extreme risks and making a mistake or may be even a crash.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, the top F1 teams and drivers today are too closely matched. So unless you put drivers on different strategies, you wont get much on track overtaking at all. Which is why this year has seen so much more on track overtaking than previous years.
Overtaking this year is not due to tyre stops but due to tyres being provided by Pirelli and DRS. Fall in pace in Pirellis is a lot more compared to the durable Bridgestone last year. Which actually means that if you were 2-3 seconds ahead but stayed out a lap more than the one behind you, you might be overtaken in the pits or just out of it.

Quote:
Its all good wanting the driver's to really have to work much harder to overtake. But the thing is your situation may make it so hard, that it will be next to impossible. And most drivers will actually take it safe, and score points, rather than go for glory by taking extreme risks and making a mistake or may be even a crash.
Partly agree, as it can go both ways. 6 laps from the end a driver might take it safe but 60 laps from the end (i.e. at the beginning of the race), he wont. You will see a lot more attempts irrespective of whether it succeeds or not. It used to happen this way 2-3 decades ago and F1 was a lot more fun. The fact that there was a lot less downforce also helped (making it easier to follow through fast corners). I think high downforce and Tilke designed tracks have spoiled racing.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well, you like the old F1 of the late 70's and 80's. Unfortunately today's F1 is very very different. If a driver start's taking a lot of risks and ends up with let's say 5 DNF's because of crashes, he would no longer be driving. I as a team principal would definitely not like that at all. I would'nt want my driver takings risks which could result in DNFs, not to mention the fact that none of the sponsors would either.

I loved the old times too, but one has to change with the times.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is for all Shumi Fans

What a start? Plug your ear phone too.

Last edited by myavu : 31st August 2011 at 13:06.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you like the old F1 of the late 70's and 80's. Unfortunately today's F1 is very very different. If a driver start's taking a lot of risks and ends up with let's say 5 DNF's because of crashes, he would no longer be driving. I as a team principal would definitely not like that at all. I would'nt want my driver takings risks which could result in DNFs, not to mention the fact that none of the sponsors would either.
I have seen a lot of races from 80s and early 90s (race edits to be precise). It appeared to me that they had more DNFs due to mechanical failure than driver error. Though I would love to see what Nelson Piquet did to Salvador (or someone like that name) after being punted out by him. I am sure he would have been banned had he done that today.

It's become too corporate these days but moving focus to mechanical grip from aerodynamics will improve racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
This is for all Shumi Fans

What a start? Plug your ear phone too.

[/left]
[/left]
[/center]
[/left]
That merc starts like hell! Rosberg too started like a rocket and was 2nd by 1 st corner and took the lead a little later (only to lose it soon after).
Old 31st August 2011, 18:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
How many are of the opinion that DRS overtakings yesterday spoiled the fun to an extent. It seemed way to easy!
Yes, but only in a place like Spa with those looong straights. If you can catch up withinn 1 sec of the car in front, then 1 spot is guaranteed. Monza will also be similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks