Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 17:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012

I have a strong feeling that it's gonna be like Schumacher's return. Kimi's been driving wrc cars for the past two years and he's most probably lost his F1 skills.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I have a strong feeling that it's gonna be like Schumacher's return. Kimi's been driving wrc cars for the past two years and he's most probably lost his F1 skills.
Schumacher did show some 'flashes' of what he can still do this season.
Hopefully next season won't just be about flashes!
Old 30th November 2011, 18:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

So it is confirmed. Raikkonen will be back! Of course, the reality is that he might not win races or challenge the big guns but I would still have him race in F1 for the sheer entertainment. On his day he is as good as any. I would pay to watch one spectacular drive from Raikkonen than seeing a whole season dominated by Vettel, any day.

Further, he will have less promotional work at Lotus Renault than he had at McLaren or Ferrari. Something he always loathed. That will allow him to do what he does best, drive flat out.
Old 30th November 2011, 19:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
He had the least credits on his name to score a F1 Super License back in 2001. Its the raw talent that got him into F1 and I am sure he has still got it.

I am not betting on a year of glory for Raikkonen, but I am sure he will take far less time than Michael to get back into the rhythm. It was a bigger challenge for Michael as he spent quite a lot of time away from motorsports and also his age.
Old 30th November 2011, 23:41   #65
mgh
BHPian

Drivers' list for 2012 has been released with 9 slots still open
Formula 1
Raikkonen is the only one listed for Lotus Renault (Renault in 2011)
Sahara Force India, Williams, Torro Rosso, and HRT are yet to declare their drivers.
Hoping that SFI retains Sutil, especially after he finished ahead of the Renault drivers, while SFI fell short of Renault, by just 4 points, he was ahead of Petrov by 5 points.
It looked possible for Sutil to overhaul Massa. However, even if Sutil overtook Massa and di Resta overtook Rosberg, SFI would have got 4 points more, not enough to overtake Renault (SFI needed one point more than Renault to overtake them.) If Renault and SFI had tied on oints, Renault with their podium finishes in the first two races, would stiil be ranked fifth and SFI sixth.
Sutil was going all out to tackle Massa, and must have been told to take it easy, as the maximum that the team could get, would not take them into fifth position, nor would he get any position higher than ninth in drivers' standing. Sutil let Massa get away after that,though at that particular point of the race, his lap times were better than Massa.
Towards the end of the season, SFI have shown themselves capable of fighting the big boys. If they go with di Resta and Hulkenberg, their goal of finishing in top five, with some podium finishes, would be difficult to attain.
Sutil has been very good, especially in the second half of 2011, and has fought Mercedes a few times. He should be retained, unless he wants to leave for a better funded team (read which can offer him more money). He himself has said that he would be happy to stay with SFI.

Last edited by mgh : 30th November 2011 at 23:44.
Old 1st December 2011, 04:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Next get Lauda and Stewart. We can then have a dad's and granddad's army.

Maybe I am being too harsh. Normally a driver quits because there is a perception that he may not have it in him. Very seldom it is boredom.

Technology moves very fast so he has a lot of learning to do.
This is funny. If it's alright for 40 year old schumi, barrichello or pdlr to be in F1, what's the harm in 32 year old kimi returning to F1? Just because he comes back from a break doesn't make him a daddy.

Kimi was away from f1 not because he was bored or he lost it. Ferrari paid him to stay out of F1.
Old 1st December 2011, 12:03   #67
BHPian

Just dont understand Kimi, he had a chance to stay in F1 at Mclaren because he wanted to rally and his managers tried to squeeze a lot of money. He then tried rallying, realises he has had enough. He comes back to Renault. God help him. I dont want to see two world champs with a season full of excuses.
Old 1st December 2011, 12:08   #68
BHPian

Well with the whole hype and disappointment with Mr M.Schumacher. i guess Kimi will have a lot less pressure and expectations riding on his shoulders. This could work in his favor. He has always loved the under dog tag. And with Team Lotus, I guess there is no pressure of delivering wins straight out. Things seem to be in the Iceman's favor. And I am quietly confident he will be a strong mid-field contender.
Old 1st December 2011, 12:09   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
This is funny. If it's alright for 40 year old schumi, barrichello or pdlr to be in F1, what's the harm in 32 year old kimi returning to F1? Just because he comes back from a break doesn't make him a daddy.

Kimi was away from f1 not because he was bored or he lost it. Ferrari paid him to stay out of F1.
Wassat?
I tried to search for this, but sites which mentions something like this are ad-blocked in office.
Would love some details on this.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Wassat?
I tried to search for this, but sites which mentions something like this are ad-blocked in office.
Kimi had a contract with Ferrari for 2010, but Ferrari decided to release him before his contract ended giving him a significant payout. Exact amount though is a speculation. Once he was released by Ferrari, he negotiated with McLaren, but that deal didn't happen and McLaren signed Button. Kimi went to rallying to keep himself busy.
Also it was reported that if he had continued in F1, he would be getting a lesser payout from Ferrari.
Old 1st December 2011, 17:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Wassat?
It was from one of the tweets sent from the media people that Kimi signed a deal with Luca that would keep him out of F1 for 18 Months from 2009 Monza. There is no links that I could refer to, so this stays as another rumor in the paddock

Kimi trying to make a comeback earlier in 2010 had all been rumors and nothing else!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 18:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
It was from one of the tweets sent from the media people that Kimi signed a deal with Luca that would keep him out of F1 for 18 Months from 2009 Monza. There is no links that I could refer to, so this stays as another rumor in the paddock

Kimi trying to make a comeback earlier in 2010 had all been rumors and nothing else!
what for?
to not go and win anywhere/with anyone else?
Old 1st December 2011, 18:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Kimi's comeback in 2010 wasn't entirely rumors, may be Toyota and Renault stuff were, but comeback with McLaren was very much possible.

The man himself admitted in this interview to f1.com on Nov 2009
Formula 1

Also this earlier interview gives some insight if you are willing to read between lines
Formula 1
Quote:
Q: But how did Ferrari convince you to end the relationship. You had a contract for 2010 with them?
KR: There are many reasons. You should ask them. But in Formula One, even if you have a contract, there is always a lot of money involved, so there can always be different options in life. That’s obviously what happened. Sure, there is not only one reason for what has happened, that’s why everybody decided to end up in this position.
We can all speculate about the details of his lay off, but it's a fact that he had a contract and he didn't go out on his own. Ferrari wanted him out because they had 3 drivers and 2 cars. They couldn't drop Massa after his accident, so Kimi was the chosen one. It may also explain why Ferrari wanted to run 3 cars in races.

Anyway, i think we are going away from actual topic which is Kimi's return to next year's grid. I am sure that he wouldn't find it too difficult to get up to speed. I am looking forward to his battles with Schumi again if both Mercedes and LRGP are fighting for similar positions next year. Last time both were in same grid was back in 2006. We have seen 4 new champions since then. Let's see how they fight it out

Last edited by SilentEngine : 1st December 2011 at 18:30.
Old 1st December 2011, 19:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

I was kinda hoping (dreaming!) that Kimi would join Force India.

Just shows that even though ForceIndia finished ahead of Lotus, Sauber and Williams, people still feel that its a flash in the pan and the results are not sustainable in the long run
Old 11th December 2011, 13:27   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Is bad luck chasing Renault drivers?

Source: Kimi Raikkonen escapes injury after snowmobile accident | Renault | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Kimi Raikkonen has escaped with just a sore wrist after crashing out of a snowmobile race in Austria on Saturday.
Raikkonen was taking part in the Swatch Snow Mobile race in Saalbach Hinterglemm when he came off his Red Bull Mobile Team snowmobile and had to be treated by paramedics. He was soon cleared of any serious injury and his Renault team tweeted: "We just spoke to Kimi. There's nothing to worry about, he only has a sore wrist. He might have it checked again on Monday, but that's all."
The chief organiser of the race, Andy Wernig told Sport10.at: "Our doctor has examined Kimi's left hand and he is wearing a small bandage."
The accident comes just two weeks after Raikkonen signed a contract to race for Renault in 2012.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks