Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Indian-born Monisha Kaltenborn to be the 1st Female Team Principal in F1

Indian-born Monisha Kaltenborn to be the 1st Female Team Principal in F1-petersauberandmonishakaltenborn_2747230.jpg

Monisha Kaltenborn is set to become the first female team principal in F1 , after Peter Sauber confirmed that she will succeed him. Peter Sauber, who returned as team principal of the Sauber F1 Team in 2009, had previously stated that he doesn't want an active role in running his team after the end of this year.

The Swiss national will turn 69 later this year and he reaffirmed those plans to Der Sonttag newspaper, saying: "I have always said that I will no longer be on the pit wall when I am 70." He added: "My successor is already confirmed. Monisha Kaltenborn is our new team principal. That is certain. She will be the first female team boss in Formula 1 history. She has been with us for 13 years, always in the prominent roles. I am confident that she will do a very good job."

Source and Picture Credit: Planet-F1.com

About the Sauber F1 Team:

Sauber F1 Team is a Swiss Formula One team. It was founded in the 1970s by Peter Sauber, who progressed through hillclimbing and the World Sportscar Championship to reach Formula One in 1993. Sauber is a prominent name in the world of Formula 1. It was one of the last remaining independent teams in F1 and has been a consistent mid-tier performer. The team was taken over by BMW in 2006 but was sold back to Peter Sauber in 2009. Sauber has been running with Ferrari engines since 1997 (except 2006-09 when it was owned and powered by BMW). Sauber is a strongly independent team and has a state-of-the-art development centre at Hinwil, Switzerland.

Peter Sauber has been known to experiment with his driver line-up. Notable drivers who have driven for Sauber include Kimi Raikonnen, Jacques Villeneuve, Johnny Herbert, Jean Alesi, Felipe Massa and Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Its current driver line-up includes Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Pérez.

Further Reading: Wikipedia, Official Website.

About Monisha Kaltenborn:

Monisha Kaltenborn (born Monisha Narang, May 10, 1971) is the current Chief Executive Officer of the Sauber Formula One team. She is one of the most prominent women in world motorsport. Kaltenborn was born in Dehradun, India. Yup, she's Indian . Her family emigrated to Vienna when she was a child. She studied for a Law degree at the University of Vienna, and then completed a Masters degree in International Business Law at the London School of Economics. Later, she was employed to take charge of the Sauber team's corporate and legal affairs. From 2001, she has been a member of its Management Board, and in early 2010, following the team's return to independent status, she was appointed CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG. She is also involved in the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile's Commission for Women and Motorsport, under Michèle Mouton.

Further Reading: Career Highlights - Sauber F1, Wikipedia.
jalsa777 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 11:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Indian-born Monisha Kaltenborn to be the 1st Female Team Principal in F1

Being appointed as a team principal in itself an achievement and that to in a sports which is dominated by Male. Well done Lady.
aditya@pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:08   #3
BHPian

Very good to hear this news.
Indian connection with F1 is growing slowly but steadily.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a short video interview of the over-achiever. As an Indian, I'm prouder of her than Force India, Narain or Karun.

GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 13:01   #5
BHPian

This is indeed excellent news.

On another note, there is a woman of Indian origin who has a very prominent role in motorsports area for General Motors

Chief of Product Design at GM is again a woman; and so is their program manager for NASCAR.

Ford Motors in India also has many women in top positions, including quality and on track test driving.
Sugeeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Great Achievement in attaining a prominent role in a male dominated sport! Thanks for Sharing.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:33   #7
BHPian

I take a bow to her achievement and what a woman of substance. Wish her all the best
Old 17th April 2012, 16:03   #8
BHPian

Super stuff this. The Indian connection with F1 just gets stronger with each passing year. All the best to this lady.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally there is a woman on top, when it comes to F1. Shame it took so long, I have always believed women are far more capable than men across all positions.

And she's of Indian origin too! Wonderful news this.

I wish for the day when we have women drivers in F1. Yes, I know what endurance it takes and how taxing it is. Don't flame me.
Generally speaking, women possess greater physical and mental endurance capabilities than men in any case. I don't think I'd be able to give birth for example. And thank goodness for that.

Cheers and all the best to the lady in charge!! A proud moment!
Sam Kapasi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 20:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I wish for the day when we have women drivers in F1. Yes, I know what endurance it takes and how taxing it is. Don't flame me.
Generally speaking, women possess greater physical and mental endurance capabilities than men in any case. I don't think I'd be able to give birth for example. And thank goodness for that.
Plus one to that and "AMEN"
We seem to be making our mark in the "F1" arent we?
regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 11:40   #11
BHPian

Awesome achievement Monisha Kaltenborn. I hope you are an inspiration for many of your kind. I know there are many women who are keenly interested in the sport. I hope you can lead the way and provide the much needs chance for these aspiring women.
And yes, I agree with Sam that they are the stronger sex (slightly OT)
Old 16th May 2012, 22:13   #12
BANNED

Indian origin Kalternborn handed stake in Sauber F1

"Team principal and president of the board of directors Peter Sauber has transferred a third of the stake in the Sauber Group to CEO Monisha Kaltenborn. Sauber himself will retain the remaining two thirds.

“When BMW pulled out of Formula One in 2009, Monisha Kaltenborn was instrumental in the team’s survival and since then she has been doing outstanding work in her capacity as CEO,” he explained. “Transferring one third of the stake to her represents an important step for me in providing continuity.

“My desire is to ensure that the company continues to be led as I would want over the long term. Monisha Kaltenborn and my son Alex, who joined the company as Marketing Director in 2010 and has since also been a member of the Board of Management, both embrace this aim. It means we can offer our employees a positive outlook for the future.”

Kaltenborn added: “For me this step is a mark of the greatest possible trust, which I will do everything in my power to justify.”

The Austrian has been the team’s head of legal affairs since 1998 and has been a member of the board of management since 2001. She completed a law degree at the University of Vienna before graduating as a Master of Laws from the London School of Economics. Kaltenborn became the first woman to head up the business operation of an F1 team when she was promoted to CEO in 2010."

Source: F1.Com

__________________________________________________ _____________

So besides Tony, Mallya and Roy, now a fourth person of Indian origin has a stake in an F1 team.

So there are more people of Indian origin involved in F1 than those from any North or South American nation(ownership wise).

Last edited by aah78 : 17th May 2012 at 07:22. Reason: Merged with existing.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The difference between Monisha & Mallya - Monisha worked her way up to a position where she is into the thick of things day-in and day-out.
Old 17th May 2012, 08:36   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The difference between Monisha & Mallya - Monisha worked her way up to a position where she is into the thick of things day-in and day-out.
Mallya is also a hard worker. Have you not seen him stressing and yelling orders at the photographers for his Kingfisher calendars?
Old 17th May 2012, 08:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Mallya is also a hard worker. Have you not seen him stressing and yelling orders at the photographers for his Kingfisher calendars?

Good one!

While others have bought their way through, she was worked her way up! Kudos to her!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks