Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 12:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015

I thought Ross Brawn had rubbished any claims that he is leaving Mercedes. That would be a disaster for Mercedes if you ask me. Ross Brawn is the pivotal figure in that team.

I think Mclaren are more inclined to being a sportscar manufacturer than a pedigree racing team at the moment. Whitmarsh, even though he is such an old employee at Mclaren, just hasnt been able to fill Ron's shoes.
Old 21st May 2013, 19:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Why Mercedes has allowed them (McLaren) to use their brand new 1.6 engine for one full season? If McLaren is associating with Honda then Mercedes should pull the plug at the end of this season when current engine ends at shelf and museum.
Mclaren has what we should assume is an iron-clad contract with Mercedes for engines in 2014. It's not a question of whether Mercedes can 'allow' them to use their engines, it's contractual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Big risk for McLaren.

Given that they are a bit rusty, I would've expected Honda to start off with one of the lower tier teams in the first year while they get up-to-date & up-to-speed with the comptetion
Perhaps, but then it's a more level playing field than it would usually be because at the end of the day the other manufacturers (Merc, Renault, Ferrari) would only have a one-year headstart.
And we should expect Honda to have been developing this engine to the full extent of their capabilities for a while now. The disadvantage you're alluding to may not be as big as you imagine.
Time will tell.
Old 21st May 2013, 19:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblethrottle View Post
Vodafone has confirmed that their association with the sport as Vodafone McLaren will end at the end of this season. Likely new team name to be Telmex McLaren Honda. (Telmex is a Mexican telecommunications company owned founded by the world richest man - Carlos Slim who also backs Sergio Perez). Expect the Livery to be Red, Blue and Silver.
Not necessarily. Mclaren's traditional colors are actually bright orange - its the same color their MP4-12C in the GT3 series. In fact, Whitmarsh even recently went on record saying that he'd like for them to return to that livery.

http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/05/13/mc...orange-livery/
Attached Thumbnails
Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015-c32872972.jpg  

Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015-mclarenmp412cgt3inmacau2011carpicture.jpg  

Honda returns to F1 with McLaren, as Engine supplier in 2015-mclarenm14a04.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2013, 10:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Whitmarsh has gone on to say that the Honda 2015 engine supply deal is 'exclusive' and he doesnt expect Honda to supply any other teams atleast for a year.

This was a given to me. Mclaren are splitting with Mercedes as they must be getting second preference over the factory team.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

I would have thought Mclaren would want another team (maybe in the 2nd half of the grid) on Honda engines to get enough testing miles on those engines, especially since rest of the grid would have already have engine data for the entire year of 2014.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I would have thought Mclaren would want another team (maybe in the 2nd half of the grid) on Honda engines to get enough testing miles on those engines, especially since rest of the grid would have already have engine data for the entire year of 2014.
I'd be inclined to wait and watch on this. The FIA will obviously make some testing allowances for Honda. They may be forced to use older spec cars, but will be allowed a lot of testing, I reckon. Also, given the simulator and given McLaren's race data (I am sure they will have access to the telemetry), they probably feel they have enough information to go with for a start.

The other aspect is, who would they go with? RBR, Lotus, Williams and Caterham are with Renault (a proven winner) and therefore unlikely to change. Mercedes, Force India have Mercedes engines (great power delivery and they're tied up long term) and Toro Rosso has been with Ferrari a while (which probably gives RBR an opportunity to keep tabs on Ferrari as well). Mercedes and Ferrari are factory teams of course and so wouldn't change.

That really leaves only Marussia as a potential target, barring any fall-outs further up the grid. And of what use would Marussia data be to Honda?

Hence, am not certain that the lack of miles and time will be concerning Honda too much.

Cheers!
M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks