Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 15:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Monaco Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Monaco is all about track position. Even the freshest tyres in the world won't help you if you need to overtake.
Im not suggesting Bottas give up track postion. Ocon was behind him was more than a pitstop away. Did you watch the race?

The top 4 cars were cruising their way around tire saving for 60+ laps. Ricciardo was setting a slow pace with 25% less power. The Hypersofts are the softest tires ever raced around the circuit and they were just focusing on making sure they got to the end. I havent seen this happen in my 23+ years of watching F1. Given they were in the same boat of high degradation, no one was in a position to make a move.

Historically a 3 second time difference between cars is enough to overtake. With the race leaders doing high 1.19s, a Bottas on fresh Ultras could easily have done mid 1m14s to 1m15s.

This year we had some overtaking.

Here are some more:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...overtakes.html

Last edited by Hatari : 28th May 2018 at 15:59.
Old 28th May 2018, 16:18   #32
Team-BHP Support

Monaco is not about F1. Monaco is about glamour. The biggest yachts, the sexiest women, the most expensive brands. It is the Champagne and Caviar of the F1 circuit and not just any Champagne and Caviar - it is about Cristal and Bollinger and Almas and Beluga. And that is why F1 has Monaco. As one of the most expensive and glamourous sports, Monaco embodies F1 even if the race itself is just a "300 kmph procession".

I don't think any other F1 venue would permit a car with 6 out of 8 gears and "losing 2.5 seconds a lap" to win, unless there was certain Brazilian behind the wheel.

Last edited by navin : 28th May 2018 at 16:20.
navin is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Honestly I found the race very boring. Even few drivers complained about race to be very boring.

2018 Monaco Grand Prix: Race Highlights.

Old 28th May 2018, 22:56   #34
BHPian

Yes it really was a yawn fest. The rule changes have gone in the wrong direction making the cars wider and faster.... So unless there is rain or a safety car in monaco, watching princess Charlene give away trophies and drink champagne is going to be the most pleasant thing at the race
Old 29th May 2018, 09:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Im not suggesting Bottas give up track postion. Ocon was behind him was more than a pitstop away. Did you watch the race?

Historically a 3 second time difference between cars is enough to overtake. With the race leaders doing high 1.19s, a Bottas on fresh Ultras could easily have done mid 1m14s to 1m15s.
It is not easy to overtake even with fresh rubber no matter how big a difference in laptimes. The only area where it is remotely possible is at the chicane after the tunnel exit and even there it is incredibly difficult irrespective and there is a chance of crashing. I doubt Bottas or merc would even think of such an aggressive move.

It wasn't a position like Max where there was nothing to lose and you can take as much risk as you'd want. Even Max got team orders after he landed up behind the Torro Rosso not to attempt a move and bring the car home.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not easy to overtake even with fresh rubber no matter how big a difference in laptimes. The only area where it is remotely possible is at the chicane after the tunnel exit and even there it is incredibly difficult irrespective and there is a chance of crashing. I doubt Bottas or merc would even think of such an aggressive move.

It wasn't a position like Max where there was nothing to lose and you can take as much risk as you'd want. Even Max got team orders after he landed up behind the Torro Rosso not to attempt a move and bring the car home.
Gasly in the Toro Rosso pitted on lap 40 for Super softs that were in much better shape towards the end than Kimi who pitted on Lap 17 for Ultras. No comparison there.

The tunnel exit is the safest place to attempt a pass when there is a large pace difference between cars because there is ample run off area on the outside.

It was worth a try in my book only because there was nothing to lose by pitting.

Ocon in a much slower car eventually made up 20 seconds in 15 laps (Lap 55-70) on Bottas in his Super softs. Thats how slow the leaders were going.

As I said this was probably the most tire saving the leaders were doing in the history of the Monaco GP.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
It was worth a try in my book only because there was nothing to lose by pitting.
Unfortunately you are not the one driving or creating the strategy . So this is as futile a discussion as crying over spilt milk. The teams had their reasons to not attempt a rash move. I rest my case!
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately you are not the one driving or creating the strategy . So this is as futile a discussion as crying over spilt milk. The teams had their reasons to not attempt a rash move. I rest my case!
Ofcourse, but I was hoping for better reasons to come through from your posts as well. Sadly not

How can you call it rash when it was introducing another option for a better result. He neednt have gone for the move if he thought it would have been rash/risky!

Last edited by Hatari : 29th May 2018 at 10:42.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, the race at Monaco is won at qualifying!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 12:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great drive by Ricciardo. Everyone spoke about his drive being reminiscent to Schumacher in Barcelona. If I remember correctly didn't Schumacher have only 5th gear in the race? Ricciardo had gears 1-6 last weekend in Monaco?

In any case though, it was a dominating performance from Ricciardo right from Thursday Practise. Brilliant drive and his market value will be sky rocketing as we discuss.

His team mate?

Its about time someone disciplined the kid. All that encouragement from the last two years of advising him not to change his driving style is coming back to kick him. There is being on the limit and then just over confident and brash. He takes the second if you ask me.

Anyone notice how much Hamilton kept complaining on the radio? Signs of him starting to crack if you ask me.

Overall not a great exciting race but its just fabulous to see on tv. Especially from the airbox cam or the helmet cam.
Old 29th May 2018, 15:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Great drive by Ricciardo. Everyone spoke about his drive being reminiscent to Schumacher in Barcelona. If I remember correctly didn't Schumacher have only 5th gear in the race? Ricciardo had gears 1-6 last weekend in Monaco?
The comparison is grossly unjust. Put Ricciardo in the same condition (2 out of 8 gears defunct and 250 HP down - the Honda powered McLaren of 2017 is an example of what it feel to be a little under-powered, even then Vandoorne would have scored points in Monaco had it not been that wall) in Barcelona 2018 and probably he would not have finished in the points. In 1994 Schumi had only the 5th gear and holding on to that 2nd place was a testament to his driving genius. It was one of the greatest demonstrations of energy management, the racing lines chosen were radical and a pit-stop in 5th gear. Monaco is different, there is only one racing line and a few 100 HPs less don't really make that much of a difference if you have track position.
Quote:
In any case though, it was a dominating performance from Ricciardo right from Thursday Practise. Brilliant drive and his market value will be sky rocketing as we discuss.
His team mate?
Its about time someone disciplined the kid. All that encouragement from the last two years of advising him not to change his driving style is coming back to kick him. There is being on the limit and then just over confident and brash. He takes the second if you ask me.
The honey badger is a true soldier, he would endure and make the best of what he is given, a stark contrast to his team mate.

Quote:
Anyone notice how much Hamilton kept complaining on the radio? Signs of him starting to crack if you ask me.
Had it been Hamilton, Seb, Max or Kimi with the mechanical issues similar to Ricciardo they probably would have found an excuse to park the car.
Quote:
Overall not a great exciting race but its just fabulous to see on tv. Especially from the airbox cam or the helmet cam.
Ricciardo's victory is in fact Monaco's failure as a racing track. Hamilton put it right when he said that if he was watching the race he would have slept off.
sun_king is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 14:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Bit surprised at the complaints of Monaco being a boring race. This has never been a track that gets more than a few overtakes or big strategy calls. I was quite ok with it honestly.

This year was different with the Hyper softs and what condition they would get to the end in. The drivers found it boring because the pace set by the leaders was just so slow as a result.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 12:25   #43
BHPian

Congratulations Ricciardo! Great win and redemption for him. But, IMO, nobody with power issues 50 laps out should be able to win a race. I am guessing in any other track, Ricciardo would not have even ended up on the podium.

Happy though, since he was in my fantasy team. :-)
Old 7th June 2018, 00:50   #44
BHPian

Hi folks,

So I'm not really active here on the F1 threads, but am pretty much a big motorsports fan. I visited the Monaco GP this year, and needless to say it was awesome.

I'll just leave this teaser pic here, Will write a detailed travelogue once my brother is done sorting all the photos.

Formula 1: The 2018 Monaco Grand Prix-img_20180527_103550016.jpg

Cheers
Senna4Ever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...co-grand-prix/

Looks like some bit of race fixing was done by the Mercedes boys, effectively stealing the last podium spot from Kimi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks