Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 17:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Moto GP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix (June 1st - June 3rd)

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-p1.png

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r0.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r1.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r2.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r3.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r4.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r5.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r7.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r9.jpg

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-r8.jpg

Track Layout

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-ti1.png

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-tl2.jpg

Track Data

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-td1.png

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-td2.png

Circuit Information:

The first time that Mugello hosted a Grand Prix event was in the year 1976, and the layout of the stunning Tuscan circuit, which undulates naturally within a beautiful tree lined valley, has remained practically the same ever since. The track was purchased by Ferrari in 1988 and renovated to their high standards shortly after - with excellent facilities and world class safety features. It became a permanent MotoGP™ venue from 1991 onwards.

Italy’s love affair with bike racing is long and enduring. Manufacturers such as Mondial, Moto Guzzi, Gilera, MV Agusta, Morbidelli, Garelli, Cagiva and now Aprilia and Ducati all playing a role, in addition to great riders such as Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi.

Located 30 km north-east of Florence in the beautiful countryside of Tuscany, Mugello is a modern circuit with excellent facilities. Bought by Ferrari back in 1988, the 5.245 km track has been renovated to a high standard and has a growing reputation as one of the world’s most up-to-date, scenic and safest race circuits.

A blend of slow and fast turns with sweeping curves, long straights and off-camber corners make Mugello one of the most challenging circuits for the riders and engineers. Having hosted its first MotoGP event back in 1976 the venue became a permanent fixture in 1991 after extensive refurbishment. Set within a beautiful tree lined Tuscan valley, Mugello also offers ample viewing areas for a particularly boisterous and partisan Italian crowd.

Read more at: http://www.motogp.com/en/event/Italy

Track Image: https://www.mugellocircuit.it/

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2018 at 17:44.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 17:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 1st June 2018, 11:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Although the current season is turning out to be more or less like 2014, where Marquez won the first 10 races in a row (boring), I still have hopes from Mugello. Considering the way Marc is riding, there's a fair chance that he will be the one to cross the line ahead of most riders. What I would really like to see this time around is someone battle it out with Mar like Lorenzo did in 2016 (victory by 0.019 secs)! Again, I hope it's either of the Andreas or maybe even both of them battling for the top spot on the podium since it's Mugello. There are a lot of expectations and hopes as the race weekend is here, but the primary one is to not see Mar take an easy win like the previous races. Not that I am a Marquez hater, I just like some good action on the track.

Here's a recap of the awesome 2016 race -

Last edited by Omkar : 1st June 2018 at 11:16.
Omkar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 12:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Precisely my feelings too. I do admire the riding skills and ability that Marquez possesses, but it becomes rather boring when one rider is so dominant and kills the competition, and ultimately the sport itself.

If one had watched the Rocky Balboa movie (2006) it would be easier to understand what is happening with a dominant Marquez now. In the movie, the reigning World champion is hated by a lot of the spectators, as he remains undefeated over 33 matches over many years, but does it so easily that the boxing sport itself gets killed!
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Here's a recap of the awesome 2016 race -
Lorenzo at his best. I hope he gets a good bike for next season and fights at the top of the chart again. With all the factory seats filling up fast and Ducati wanting him out of the team, he might not feature at all in the next season. Looks like only hope left for him is getting a new satellite team running on year old Yamaha machinery.

Ducati's are expected to be quicker in their home race but cannot discount rejuvenated Suzukis. Yamaha too were traditionally stronger here, especially with Lorenzo. All these holds good only if they can keep a check on Marquez

Schedule for the qualifier and race. Both Live on Sony ESPN

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-quali.jpg
MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-race.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2018 at 18:05.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 23:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Michele Pirro suffers a horror crash at Mugello. Is conscious and has been taken to a medical centre.

The Maniac, Iannone, tops both free practice sessions on Friday. FP2 ended with Iannone, Vinales and Marc in the top 3.

Lorenzo is struggling again - ending P9 and P10 in FP1 and FP2.

The medical report for Pirro is out.

Nothing too serious, luckily:

Quote:
After first checks at the Medical Center of Mugello, @PirroRider was diagnosed with concussion and dislocated right shoulder, which was put back into place. The Full Body Scan done at Careggi Hospital of Florence was positive and there are no further complications (1)

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd June 2018 at 00:16. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Top 6:

1) Rossi!
2) Lorenzo
3) Vinales
4) Iannone
5) Petrucci
6) Marquez
7) Dovi

All separated by only 0.292s. After all the speculation surrounding his future in MotoGP, good to see Jorge on the first row

4 Italians and 3 Spaniards in the top 7. Should be a cracker of a race tomorrow.
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

What a victory for Jorge Lorenzo! Comprehensive, clean and clinical from the Spaniard to take his first victory with the Italian outfit. Is this the pivotal moment in Lorenzo's career with Ducati? Only time will tell. But if today's performance was anything to go by, the signs are there. Looks like the new fuel tank he asked for and got has worked to help him retain his stamina and run a good pace throughout the race.

Marquez's no points finish opens up the championship a bit now. Still a 23-point lead for the reigning World Champion, but his rivals are coming - and now, there might be a new one in his Spanish compatriot. Maybe not for the championship, but at least for race wins.
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:13   #9
BHPian

As much as I loathed him in 2015/16, I'm really happy that Lorenzo secured his first win for Ducati! He deserves a factory ride, hopefully his performance improves during the rest of the season to coax Ducati to retain him. Also happy that Dovi is closing in on Marquez although only consistent performances will get him closer. Bit miffed that Rossi couldn't covert his pole to a win though.

I couldn't watch the race, hoping to catch up with the YouTube versions in a while.

Edit: Watching the highlights now, Marc's slide was hilarious! Almost like synchronized sliding.

Last edited by Porschefire : 3rd June 2018 at 19:32.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Jorge confirms he's leaving Ducati. Says "Its a casualty for Ducati that I won today".

Yamaha still believes in Vinales even after so many bad results. Honda has kept belief in Pedrosa for over a decade now. Surely they could've given him a couple more years. The bike only started winning in the latter part of last year and many of them were close finishes, nothing dominant like Jorge showed today.
Rossi said in post race press that Ducati is a radically different machine to a Yam and takes a lot of time getting used to.

With Jorge leaving, Ducati should lose any hope
of signing a top rider again for a long time to come.

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 3rd June 2018 at 22:15.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:10   #11
BHPian

What a great race! Lorenzo was incredible, right from the start.
Tremendous respect and a big salute to the Doctor for the fastest ever lap in Mugello and a hard-fought podium finish at the age of 39!
I wouldn't rule out Dovi, Rossi and Vinales from the championship contention, just yet. Catalunya, Assen and Austria aren't Marquez' success tracks. Gives everyone a chance to reduce his lead.
aamateen46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 10:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Points table after Mugello.

MotoGP : The 2018 Italian Grand Prix-motogpround6.jpg
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Great race on many levels!! Ducati won at home (wrong rider though), VR46 back-to-back podiums. If only Yamaha solves their ongoing issues, the fight for the title can hopefully become tighter.

Deafening silence here about another brain-dead move by our lord and savior MM93, on Petrucci, in the first lap, knocking him out of podium contention. He came back fighting even despite this setback, while karma was served a bit later, when the famous elbow tricks couldn't manage to prevent another slide.

Here's hoping the other riders - Dovi, Zarco etc come back hard, and Rossi keeps up the momentum to close the points gap.

Cheers.
Old 4th June 2018, 12:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Jorge confirms he's leaving Ducati. Says "Its a casualty for Ducati that I won today".

Yamaha still believes in Vinales even after so many bad results. Honda has kept belief in Pedrosa for over a decade now. Surely they could've given him a couple more years. The bike only started winning in the latter part of last year and many of them were close finishes, nothing dominant like Jorge showed today.
Rossi said in post race press that Ducati is a radically different machine to a Yam and takes a lot of time getting used to.

With Jorge leaving, Ducati should lose any hope
of signing a top rider again for a long time to come.
Jorge was untouchable yesterday (as confirmed by Marquez too). The last time Ducati ever won a race by a 6 second margin was probably in the Casey Stoner era.

Guess that makes Jorge the only rider to win a MotoGP race on a Yamaha and a Ducati.

Heard he might be on satellite Yamaha along with Franco Morbidelli bankrolled by Petronas.

Last edited by JayKis : 4th June 2018 at 12:16.
JayKis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 12:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Heard he might be on satellite Yamaha along with Franco Morbidelli bankrolled by Petronas.
Do you think the Yamaha deal/setup is advanced enough for Jorge to commit leaving Ducati? I'd think he'd only commit to leaving if every detail of the new deal was sorted - which I don't think there's been enough time for. It's all pointing to him going to HRC I tell ya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks