Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2019, 20:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2019 Austrian Grand Prix

Ferrari can't catch a break! Three poles, yet no win. Anyways, it was a stonker of a race. Best race for sometime ! So many passes, different battles, and struggling Mercedes! We need more races like this. Now onto Silverstone, which I believe won't be as exciting.
Old 30th June 2019, 20:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

McLaren will be kicking themselves for shunning Honda.
If not for Alonso they may have been in Red Bull S position. They are doing well enough from being back of the pack last year and have pretty talented drivers. Norris managed 3rd for a few minutes .
Old 30th June 2019, 22:00   #18
BHPian

A fun race no doubt but am a bit sceptical that such a race followed a high level meeting by FIA with the teams to improve viewership. In the end it's just entertainment with lots of money involved. And if it's so bring more of this it's fun. But gut says the norm will resume with Mercedes dominating in the upcoming races.

Max is a champion love his attitude and that's what F1 is all about.

I hope I am wrong we need more competitive race but logic against hope 😬
Old 30th June 2019, 22:03   #19
BHPian

There are rumors that a 5 second time penalty has been awarded to Verstappen.

Meaning maiden race win for Charles.

Although a big fan of Ferrari in general and Charles in particular, I do not agree with the penalty just like the Canada GP penalty on Vettel.

This will be massively controversial.

Edit: Not sure if this is genuine. If fake, I sincerely apologize and request mods to remove post!

Last edited by nair : 30th June 2019 at 22:17. Reason: Removing attached document
Old 30th June 2019, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amazing race. After the last snoozer, I didn't even remember that it was a raceday. Turned on exactly before the warm up lap and what a stonker of a race it turned out to be.

Max and Charles are awesome. I'm an ardent Ferrari fan since Schumi days but the way Max drove was awesome. Think what that guy would do if he had a scarlet car.

Regd the move, just awesome. Don't think he needs a penalty, that would just ruin the race. Let them race, its fun.

Finally after ages, felt like F1 again.

Regards,
Raj

P.S. After reading what Nair posted, I think it is really BS from the stewards. This is not what F1 used to be. This penalty again is not good.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...rand-prix-live

The above link says that the penalty circular is fake.

Last edited by Desmosedici : 30th June 2019 at 22:19.
Old 30th June 2019, 22:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Two back to back races swinging from one end of the balance to the other in terms of action. Right from the start too - all triggered by Verstappen. Greate drive from him to grab the win after muddling the start.

Vettel lost a good chunk of time in the pit stop but ultimately i am not sure it would have been able to stop the charging Verstappen whose RB simply looked on rails. Did Leclerc have the pace to push harder in the earlier laps to extend the gap earlier? If yes, then I think that is what should have been done.

The racing on the penultimate lap to the pass by Verstappen was exquisite with Leclerc really defending quite well. However when Verstappen is ahead or alongside with an un-yielding opponent you are sure to see some wheel banging. To me after Canada, this should be given to Leclerc. Great drive by Verstappen but you cannot apply the rule-book in some places and not in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
McLaren will be kicking themselves for shunning Honda.
Not sure why they should seeing that Sainz and Norris are doing a great job. I am not sure Honda would have been able to deliver the same result had the relationship continued. They just were not able to work well together.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 30th June 2019 at 22:08.
Old 30th June 2019, 22:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Attachment 1889028

5 second time penalty for Verstappen.

Meaning maiden race win for Charles.

Although a big fan of Ferrari in general and Charles in particular, I do not agree with the penalty just like the Canada GP penalty on Vettel.

This will be massively controversial.

Edit: Not sure if this is genuine. If fake, I sincerely apologize and request mods to remove post!

This is fake, it's document no. 35 and F1 is already on doc 47 this year.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 23:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
There are rumors that a 5 second time penalty has been awarded to Verstappen.
Were just rumors. Max has been deservedly confirmed winner of Austrian GP. What a race after that disastrous start! He lapped his teammate as well. Gasly is surely on his way out.

Despite the fantastic race, it has to be said that Ferrari messes up the tire strategy. They should have started the race on the Mediums like the rest of the top grid. Would have been an easy victory. Also can't understand why Ferrari pitted Vettel again after a very short stint on the Hards. With both Mercedes lifting and coasting he could have easily overtaken both Mercedes cars. Vettel didn't even get the fastest lap point. All a bit pointless from Ferrari. If they are not able to win at circuits where they are the strongest at, I am not sure how this season will end up for them.

Mighty impressed with Charles and Max. They way Charles defended the lap before the eventual overtake was the highlight of the race for me. Looking forward to more such battles.

P.S: Somewhere Alonso is going crazy knowing that a Honda engine won a grand prix. Haha.

Last edited by nair : 30th June 2019 at 23:38.
Old 1st July 2019, 00:02   #24
BHPian

Thank God Max did not get a penalty, I was dearly hoping for the same. This was an incredible race for a change probably the best of the season. Red Bull and McLaren have shown tremendous improvements hopefully it will continue throughout the season.
Ferrari management once again let their drivers down, could have been a podium for Vettel if not for that awful pit stop he would have been in front of Bottas, and if it was Ferrari 1 and 2 when Max made that incredible run maybe LeClerc could have finished first. Lots of could've should've but it was a fantastic drive from Max, nothing can take that away from him.
This is F1, and that's how we love it.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 00:25   #25
BHPian

Fantastic race after a long time and what a champion drive by Max and to lap your teammate who is on a similar car

Leclerc too defended valiantly before getting overtaken, but finally he doesn't have pace to keep Max out. Disastrous 1st pit stop and a bizarre 2nd pit stop for Vettel robbed him off a potential podium. One more lap, he would have gone past Bottas.

The McLaren's are going from strength to strength and a what a drive by Sainz from back of the grid to get the 8th position. And first ever point for Giovinazzi and first double points finish for Alfa Romeo.

And was it a first victory for Honda after 2006?
Old 1st July 2019, 00:26   #26
BHPian

Here are the highlights

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 06:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

It would have been a disgrace if Max was given a penalty for that overtaking maneuver. Better sense prevailed!
Good to see a Honda guy on the podium.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 08:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

A close racing after ages. Max was in a different league altogether. And Lec didn't make things easier for him to overtake as well. Hope we get more such races instead of Merc dominating from the get go.

Also, a well deserved win for Honda.

Looks like bottas has lost his way. Time to give Ocon a chance and it will be interesting to see him fight Max and Lec.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:12   #29
BANNED

One more interesting fact. Three different teams with three different engines on the podium. Red Bull on Honda (once the kings of F1 in the previous Turbo age), Ferrari and Mercedes. The latter two on own engines. So this augers well for F1.

Yes, it was an exciting race. Also, Verstappen and LeClerc was a racing incident, no more.

imho three power plants and three makers is far more exciting.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st July 2019 at 10:14.
Old 1st July 2019, 10:26   #30
BHPian

What a race after a very long time!!! Disappointed that Charles didn't get his win even after not putting a foot wrong in the whole race or the whole weekend.

But Redemption for Honda, they had this coming for years now. The bad marriage that they were in with Mclaren didn't help. Redbull and their partnership has really changed the dimensions on that engine. It shows Honda is not some laggard company who doesn't know how to make race winning engines.

Was it cheeky of Verstappen to open his steering that little bit to make Charles run wide? - Yes it was. But then that is what racing is all about. When i saw the incident, My heart said "penalty" but my mind said "racing incident". If FIA goes on penalizing every single incident then what is racing for. But then they need to be consistent about it which at the moment they are not. Because there was no Merc involved in the incident stewards could make a decision which was pro sport rather than like the one they made for Canada and then went on to lamely substantiate it in France.

Very surprised to see Mercs lifting and coasting for 400-600m to manage temperature. They surely don't like this track. But this is going to be one off. You cannot win all 21 races in the season.

In the end, the strategy of running medium - hard was faster than the strategy of running soft - hard or soft - hard - soft

Off to British GP next, the circuit is going to suit to Ferrari again as it is very power predominant with long sweeping corners and we cannot count Redbull out as well. Their race pace with Max on wheel is Brilliant. It goes to show how well Max is driving. He qualified third, he had an woeful start and still he won the race and Gasly was just "7th" in the same car.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks