Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 11:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2019 Austrian Grand Prix

What a fantastic race! Just what the doctor ordered after France. I hope the FIA and Hermann Tilke take note while designing circuits in the future, near 90 degree corners are ideal for allowing cars to follow close behind on exit and allow for some late braking on entry.

Superb racing throughout the pack. Shame for Leclerc, but he must admit it was his error of leaving the inside line free for Max that led to the overtake.
Max and Red Bull came alive in the 2nd stint, am very pleased for Honda. Red Bull had apparently given Max a small upgrade from France, Gasly didnt get it. Im sure more on this will come out in due time. Proved extremely effective! Though Gasly's seat looks increasingly under threat.

Great drive by Sainz from the back of the grid and Lando to bring home 12 points for the team. Renault now 20 points behind.

Last edited by Hatari : 1st July 2019 at 11:07.
Old 1st July 2019, 13:27   #32
BANNED

I must say my appetite for F1 is back. I do not like the Silverstone circuit, I very much prefer the Old Brands hatch. Silverstone looks like what is, an Airfield circuit. But beggars cannot be choosers. I am waiting for the three engine clash.
Old 1st July 2019, 15:53   #33
BHPian

Since mptogp was there just before F1 and for the unexpected grid, I decided to watch the race. And it was worth the time spent.

Ferrari were concentrating on Bottas pace and got into a false security that they did only necessary delta to Bottas. LEC had the pace to pull away, but was not allowed. Also ferrari made him stop when there was still life in the starting soft tyre. All this points to the fact that they wanted to cover only Merc of Bottas.

Thankfully stewards spared us from further controversy by deeming Max's pass as a racing incident which it was !!

Last edited by motor_breathing : 1st July 2019 at 15:54. Reason: typo
Old 1st July 2019, 19:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Not surprised, since it's no longer Formula 1. But it's Formula Yawn
Ok, I take back my words! What a race! Brilliant is an understatement!

I only hope that's it's not a one off, and although Hamilton most likely will win the WDC, this kind of racing is really required.
Old 1st July 2019, 20:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

If weather continues to be hot, it will provide some interesting results. The circuit temperature was unusually hot, which hampered the race pace of Mercedes. F1 needs more such races, but I think it's a one off.
Ferrari made a very crucial mistake, which not only hampered Vettel's race, but cost Leclerc a win. Had it been a clean stop, we could have seen a Ferrari 1-3.
Brilliant race by McLarens, more so by Sainz. Norris finished more or less where expected, but Sainz drove brilliantly.
Even Alfa had a good day, with Antonio getting his first points.
I hope Silverstone, with its newly laid track provide a interesting race, than switching back to Mercedes domination.
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I
Ferrari made a very crucial mistake, which not only hampered Vettel's race, but cost Leclerc a win.
How was it so that Ferrari's pit mistake with Vettel caused Lelerc to lose the race?
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
How was it so that Ferrari's pit mistake with Vettel caused Lelerc to lose the race?
Vettel could have easily held Verstappen longer. Before Max did pit, he was behind Lewis. As soon as he pitted he slotted himself between Lewis and Vettel , a lot closer to Ferrari and much fresher Tyre. It was a knee jerk reaction to cover Bottas, which cost Vettel and to some extent ( theoretically) Leclerc.
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Seems the emergence of the Honda power unit as a force to be reckoned with is going to be short lived:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/07...y-turned-down/

Quote:
Apparently, cooling has always been an issue on the mighty W10 and after an extremely hot day in the Spielberg hills Wolff explained, “We knew that it was our Achilles heel and we were carrying the problems since the beginning of the season.

“We tried to work on mitigating the performance loss, but at the end it was really painful to watch us cruising, not being able to defend or attack.

“We were running the engine way turned down, lifting and coasting for up to 400 metres — it’s almost having no throttle rolling downwards — and still able to pull in some decent lap times. But we were limited by the cooling problems.”

“The next step would have been to remove all the bodywork. So that was not really an option because the sponsors wouldn’t have liked it! Right on the limit. We couldn’t do anything anymore, and it was already very damaging for performance what we did. There was no step left anymore.”

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks