Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:04   #16
BHPian

Re: 2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October

It was a exciting race. I guess it is boring when your favourite driver doesn't win

Surprise winner, Safety cars, crashes , non-drs overtakes and penalty drama.

Perez' RE "Let's Disappear".
attinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:23   #17
AZT
BHPian

Re: 2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October

The FIA will need to start standardizing the meaning of a 'Reprimand' and 'Warning'. If every driver knows they will get a free pass before the penalty is applied, it defeats the purpose of the rule. That being said, I'm happy Perez won. He's been under a lot of scrutiny by the media recently.

Russel said Schumacher is defending like his life depended on it but I'd say so was Checo. Special shout out to LeClerc, the difference between his pace and Sainz was staggering. Onward to Suzuka now.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:31   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It was a painful watch. Lost count of number of yellow flags and safety cars.
Perez defended like a lion, for the full race. It deserves special mention, since LeClerc in a 2022 Ferrari in the mirrors is not at all easy.

I am glad that Mercedes looked like a typical midfielder team - at some point they have to accept that their starting concept itself is flawed, there is only so much that bad-aid jobs can do to enhance a fundamentally flawed design.

After this race, if Ferrari is still under the impression that they don't need a #1 driver, I don't know what to say. The skill gap between Leclerc and Sainz was on full display.

The only driver who "did" something on the track, was Max, always pushing 100%, sliding, recovering, dropping places, then recovering. Probably he is the only driver who actually overtook cars 'on track'. The qualifying fiasco (he was nearly 1s ahead when asked to pit during his last quali run) , plus the terrible start, plus the lockup on a wet line, trying to pass Norris -- had any one of them not occured, he would have finished on the podium.

The McLaren's simply got lucky, and made places during safety car period. They drove 'safely' and consistently. Didn't do anything special ; however the British media is marketing it as if they have won the Olympic Gold.

Last edited by venkyhere : 3rd October 2022 at 19:34.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:25   #19
BHPian

Have been actively following since 2020 only but this was the worst street circuit weekend I have seen. Whatever little opportunities there were for overtaking were made impossible by the damp conditions. A full wet race would have been better. The safety cars were also mainly caused by condition-induced errors which wasn’t that great.

Checo and Leclerc were the only ones actually having a proper race with minimum mistakes. Checo using all his experience to push exactly how much he could in those conditions and deservedly won it. Sainz got that podium only because overtaking was virtually impossible otherwise Hamilton was on fire this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
It was a exciting race. I guess it is boring when your favourite driver doesn't win

Surprise winner, Safety cars, crashes , non-drs overtakes and penalty drama.

Perez' RE "Let's Disappear".
I don’t think people are saying this race was boring because their favourite driver didn’t win, it was genuinely boring.

1. Too many safety cars actually kill the flow of the race rather than spicing it up.
2. I would hardly say that Checo was a surprise winner. Unlikely, yes. Anyone apart from RB and Ferrari drivers winning would be a surprise
3. Overtakes? I hardly saw any. All I saw was drivers getting frustrated by not being able to overtake because the overtaking line was damp everywhere
4. Penalty drama is interesting when it is announced within the race and then teams work on permutations and combinations, not when you have to wait a couple of hours after the race to really know who the winner was
AutoConsultant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 11:16   #20
BHPian

Actually this was a good race in the middle of the pack. It was an unforgiving track for minor mistakes. We need these kind of races to shake up the P2/P3/P4 and P5 of the constructors.
Alonso was really frustrating Max and asking him to take a chance of overtaking by taking a risk of going outside the dry race line. Unfortunate for him to retire.
And then Lando was frustrating Max, which he risked and faced the brunt by locking. But masterclass from him not to have a DNF at that incident. A quick pirouet and back in the race was exciting.
Even in the last 3 laps how Max came up from 11 to 7 was exciting. The way he overtook Lewis and Seb due to unforced and forced errors were pretty decent i felt.

Yes, if it hadnt rained we would have had more risks and overtake attempts, but nonetheless a good one as it did not have Red flags.
FuelInjector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 22:11   #21
BHPian

The race was quite eventful at the venue, what with the rains, ever changing track conditions, non drs overtakes, surprising mistakes, and safety cars.

A special mention to Daniel Ricciardo, who seemed to be enjoying his own sweet spot at P5 in the final laps with a huge gap before and after him! I personally feel he’d be in a better position today if he would’ve continued with RB.
We were seated between turn 17-18. It’s a small straight stretch right opposite Marina Bay Sands, ending with a sharp left turn, which a few couldn’t clear during FP1/2/3.

Singapore is a weird track for a GP! Even we were wet when it wasn’t raining, and I simply can’t imagine the plight of the drivers in their suits in all the humidity.
The best seats probably are at turn 1, where one can see the cars coming in at the turn and vanishing off after entering turn 2. Those cost a bomb!
The sheer sound of it all though, is simply exhilarating!

Parting with a few shots from the venue, which could’ve been much better if I’d looked carefully into one of those “how to use the camera on your phone” reels!

2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October-4f5c9776009441219b002ae3a2a1ff6f.jpeg

2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October-86f2fd2dc42b42df99cee8d13de78b01.jpeg

2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October-950862076d6449868b65bf764e0527de.jpeg

2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix | Marina Bay Street Circuit | 30 September - 02 October-329c684282e84383b16f7a5b0759c328.jpeg
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks