Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 10:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Honda engines had the power to race in F1. Now they wont even supply engines in F1. Force India is now on Mercedes power.
I appreciate that Honda openly admitted that its exit is because of global sales slowdown. But I believe it was graceful exit. They never comfortably won anything. Although this also had to do with drivers, but I think the performance overall was below par. I think that within an year or two even Toyota will be out as it is spending the maximum amount of money but not getting a good win.

About F1's one engine for all cars rule. This is stupidest thing to even happen in modern F1. I would rather love to see 3.6 ltr. V12 turbo charged F1 engines that can really help in improving the speed. As soon as the cars touched 1000 bhp from 3.0 V10, they came to 2.4 V8. I think that 3.6 with turbo is something that everybody can afford. It will again get more exciting.
Also I was dreaming that F1 would have 4.8 V16 with turbo. Would be real fun as now drivers would be more at focus that how they are able to handle and utilize the power as per car's chassis.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th December 2008 at 10:59.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:11   #32

Yes Honda the second largest car manufacturer of Japan quits F1.Its harsh and sorry but the official declaration has been made.Here it is,
Statement from Takeo Fukui:
“Honda must protect its core business activities and secure the long term as widespread uncertainties in the economies around the globe continue to mount. A recovery is expected to take some time.
Under these circumstances, Honda has taken swift and flexible measures to counter this sudden and expansive weakening of the marketplace in all business areas. However, in recognition of the need to optimize the allocation of management resources, including investment regarding the future, we have decided to withdraw from Formula One participation.
We will enter into consultation with the associates of Honda Racing F1 Team and its engine supplier Honda Racing Development regarding the future of the two companies. This will include offering the team for sale.
In its third era of Formula One activities, Honda has been participating in Formula One races from the 2000 season, initially with BAR, by adopting a new format of jointly developing racing machines. Subsequently, in a move to meet the changing environment surrounding Formula One, we switched to running a 100% Honda-owned team commencing with the 2006 season.
Surmounting many challenges, the Honda Team achieved a grand prix victory in 2006, enabling Honda to receive overwhelming support from Honda fans around the world that were looking forward to greater success. It, therefore, has been an extremely difficult decision for us to come to this conclusion without having been able to fully meet the expectations of our fans.
By making the best of what we have learned during these times of economic turmoil, coupled with the spirit of challenge gained through active participation in racing, we intend to continue with our commitment in meeting new challenges.
Finally, we would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank our fans and all those who have supported Honda’s Formula One efforts, including everyone in the world of Formula One.”

It is really a sorry decision as a legend team quits from the paddocks who are as old as the Ferrari and the Mclaren(since 1960).Honda did this before the launch of Acura NSX-its supercar.Atleast I never anticipated it.

God knows what Toyota would do after seeing its Japanese brother withdraw.I hope Toyota goes good and continues.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:43   #33
BHPian

Its sad to learn that Honda have quit F1. It will be a big set back for formula one fans as Ross Brawn had just joined Honda last year. Anyways it looks like F1 is headed for troubled times in the future. Hope some thing works out for all other teams.
Old 6th December 2008, 14:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Yes, standards rob the game of the surprise / competitive spirit. But as per supporters of standardisation, if you do not have standards then the game will go into hands of the large F1 houses like Ferrari/McLaren etc, because they have deep pockets to invest more and more.
If its all about mixing up the field, then there is A1 GP to watch! F1 has a different legacy and its about bringing innovations into Automobile engineering.

I understand the teams with low budget do suffer. But limited budget and relaxation on regulations in the development would put an end to this cries by the low budget teams.
Old 6th December 2008, 15:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
If its all about mixing up the field, then there is A1 GP to watch! F1 has a different legacy and its about bringing innovations into Automobile engineering.
The biggest problem with legacy is that it does not live forever. In this case the legacy has become so big that it is itself hurting the sport indirectly. If this goes on then we can say goodbye to all the small teams. That would mean we would only Ferrari, McLaren, BMW & Toyota cars on the grid. Also keeping in mind the global recession, something needs to done to keeps costs low and encourage teams to race. I would not be surprised if another team went up for during the 2009 season if the recession stays like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I understand the teams with low budget do suffer. But limited budget and relaxation on regulations in the development would put an end to this cries by the low budget teams.
Limit budget & relaxation on regulations. These two points are contradictory to each other. If you relax the regulations and give the teams a free hand to do whatever they feel like then the budget will only go upwards. This is what the small teams are crying about.

Last edited by vikram_d : 6th December 2008 at 15:06.
Old 6th December 2008, 15:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The biggest problem with legacy is that it does not live forever. In this case the legacy has become so big that it is itself hurting the sport indirectly. If this goes on then we can say goodbye to all the small teams. That would mean we would only Ferrari, McLaren, BMW & Toyota cars on the grid. Also keeping in mind the global recession, something needs to done to keeps costs low and encourage teams to race. I would not be surprised if another team went up for during the 2009 season if the recession stays like this.
Every sports has its own legacy and this legacy has stayed as long as the sports is around. That is one reason why its in the blood for most. Do people have same feelings about A1? Without legacy none of the sport can virtually exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Limit budget & relaxation on regulations. These two points are contradictory to each other. If you relax the regulations and give the teams a free hand to do whatever they feel like then the budget will only go upwards. This is what the small teams are crying about.
Limited budget means a standard budget (For e.g Budget limit of X Pounds or Dollars for a Season) for teams to spend. Not a standard engine which is not going to help any team for any cause and just make those people who made history in F1 and the fans of F1 a laughing stock! With the standard budget let the team develop anything new or good or bad or old? That will make meaning for the word "Formula" in F1.
Old 7th December 2008, 22:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am sure Honda has done a lot of brainstorming before arriving at this decision. and while motorsport community may be shattered, Honda may actually be able to gain more confidence in their customers who eventually end up paying for the sport; by protecting their "Core business"

good business move, bad for sports though. I am not a big sports fan, but I am afraid the effects may ripple down to other sports sponsored by corporates due to thinning margins.
Old 28th December 2008, 02:06   #38
BHPian

Honda seems to have received a lifeline. Good for the sport:

Formula One: Mexican billionaire rescues Honda- International Business-News-The Economic Times

ROME: Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's second richest man, has rescued the Honda Formula One team, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Saturday.

"The saviour has arrived: Carlos Slim, 67 years old, the second richest man in the world," said the newspaper.

"The news is not official as all the details have yet to be formalised. But two things are certain - the team has been saved and the drivers will be Jenson Button and rookie Bruno Senna in place of Rubens Barrichello."
Honda, believed to have an annual racing budget of around 400 million dollars, announced earlier this month that they were pulling out of Formula One as a result of the global financial meltdown.

La Stampa, which did not identify the source of its story, added that Bruno Senna, the nephew of former triple world champion Ayrton Senna, is sponsored by Embratel, part of Slim's Telmex group.
Old 28th December 2008, 03:43   #39
BANNED

Is it time we can take the above piece of news without any added salt?
Is it time we lay down the talks of our own Mr. Mallya buying the team?

If yes, then I think Honda should now improve their on track performance as soon as possible. Do something to their cars and getting some points is very essential now.
Huh in! with the medals system, there won't be no way ahead for rookie teams and middle runners.
Old 28th December 2008, 15:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Honda F1 saved by Me"H"ico

Honda 'saved' by Mexican billionaire - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Force Mexico latest team to join the grid after a buyout of Honda. Details yet to be worked out, but one thing is sure the team would definitely be on the grid in 2009.
Old 29th December 2008, 03:29   #41
BHPian

"Honda pulls out of F1" thread has already been updated with this information.

Mods: Please merge the 2 threads.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Honda seems to have received a lifeline. Good for the sport:

Formula One: Mexican billionaire rescues Honda- International Business-News-The Economic Times

ROME: Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's second richest man, has rescued the Honda Formula One team, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Saturday.

"The saviour has arrived: Carlos Slim, 67 years old, the second richest man in the world," said the newspaper.

"The news is not official as all the details have yet to be formalised. But two things are certain - the team has been saved and the drivers will be Jenson Button and rookie Bruno Senna in place of Rubens Barrichello."
Honda, believed to have an annual racing budget of around 400 million dollars, announced earlier this month that they were pulling out of Formula One as a result of the global financial meltdown.

La Stampa, which did not identify the source of its story, added that Bruno Senna, the nephew of former triple world champion Ayrton Senna, is sponsored by Embratel, part of Slim's Telmex group.
But, in hindu news paper it's given that mr.mallya who owns force india formula one team,was intrested in stepping but the move was seen through a prism of suspicion as his effort to acess honda's technical know how.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:33   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd say that Hondas decision to quit comes as much from their lousy performance as it does due to the economic recession. Arch rival Toyota beat them hollow this year. Heck, Honda was frequently at the end of the grid. Remember how Jaguars image actually dipped after their entry into F1? Hondas uppers possibly thought : Why should we pay toward a negative image exercise? Of course, they obviously don't have the commitment for F1 as they did a couple of years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks