Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are F1 commentators biased towards Ferrari and MS ?
Yes 12 50.00%
No 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are F1 commentators biased towards Ferrari and MS ?

I have often felt that F1 commentators (on Star Sports) are biased towards Ferrari .. more so the one who is not the McLaren test driver ..

The feeling is purely borne out of the tone of commentary .. and loads of phrases like ..
'Ferrari are masters of strategy', 'Michael Magic', 'MS stamping his authority', 'MS in a league of his own, as only he can be', 'Ferrari reliability' etc etc ..

The above may not be exact quotes, but I hope you get the drift ?

Comparatively how many times did we get to hear such emphatic adjectives for the winning teams and drivers this year ?

I throw the Question in the ring
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont particularly agree. They seem to be heaping the praise on whoever is leading the race, and for some exceptional skills shown by a driver.
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:16   #3
BHPian

Yes they are. Listening to their comments is like attending "Schumacher Aarti" (singing paens in His praise). Its so cloyingly sweet.

I feel that is because MS has had such stupendous successes in the past few years. He has eclipsed all other drivers in the ring.

While it is true that Schumacher Sr. is a few cuts above the rest, the commentators should give up their shameless adoration. There are plenty of good drivers around capable of leaving their mark on the circuit. They can try and bring out the positive aspects of these drivers as well.

Last edited by camry93 : 3rd August 2005 at 14:17.
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Steve Slater has admiration for MS but i find that Chris Godwins tone is more like its against MS and Ferrari.In general they both neutralize each other.

But it is natural for people to go on praising their favourites.Also doesn't MS deserve the praise he gets?
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:43   #5
BHPian

Chris Goodwin has always been a bit in favour of McLaren on the other hand Steve Slater has always been in Michael's favour. Both have been like that right from the beginning and have somehow managed to keep themselves down.
Anyway each one has their opinion..so no stopping them.
Old 3rd August 2005, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Chris Goodwin IMO is more restrained and neutral .. and he is always correcting steve's goof ups
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Chris Goodwin is the more composed of the two while Steve gets hyper all the time and often goofs up. I've seen that so many times . Steve is pro Schumi while Chris does have soft corner for Mclaren

About Steve he does go ballistic during a Schumi lap and "Michael magic" and authority stamping" are his favourite words but he has used the stamping lingo for the other drivers as well.

Dippy
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:56   #8
BHPian

they are pro schumi only this year.
When MS was winning they had an extremely heavy anti schumi bias
which goodwin still has as he always uses Barichello as en excuse for everything. Oh Boobens must me carrying more fuel, Oh boobens in ms's track sweeper.

Goodwin is a low rung been sportscar driver with avg commentary

Both of them are condesending little tools
Old 3rd August 2005, 17:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the commentators are biased towards any team or driver, I agree Steve uses those phrases for Ferrari, Michael and Chris has soft corner for Mclaren, but they do use praising words for the other drivers who win.
Old 3rd August 2005, 18:42   #10
BANNED

I have one thing to say
BRING BACK Murray Walker and let the good times roll

Last edited by 2L8uLoose : 3rd August 2005 at 18:44.
Old 3rd August 2005, 18:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Chris Goodwin is the more composed of the two while Steve gets hyper all the time and often goofs up. I've seen that so many times . Steve is pro Schumi while Chris does have soft corner for Mclaren
Chris Goodwin is the more technical of the two IMO. He's a race car driver and understands the bits and pieces much better than Steve.

And yes, I have found Steve to be heavily pro-Ferrari, especially Michael

Harish
Old 3rd August 2005, 19:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Steve Slator is a MS fan, he himself has said that number of times.
while Chris Goodwin does Road Car testing for Mercedes, he as a soft corner for McLaren

but they are fair enough, everyone will have someone as his favorite driver but both of them they somehow manage to be fair to others too.

They are good enough, but if only they stop to be PRO-Narain then it would be good.
Old 3rd August 2005, 20:09   #13
F50
Senior - BHPian

Instead of Steve Slater, I feel Chris Goodwin is more towards Mclaren.
Instance : Hungarian Qual.
Michael's 1st Sector timing much faster then the rest but he was not ready to accept that this Ferrari is going that fast. He said that its the middle sector which reflects the best car ... Still Michael was way ahead so obvs. Steve had to come in.
And same thing during Montoyo's lap 1st sector he is .080 from Michaels' time and he was hoping and stressing that Juan will pullback time but 2nd sector timings .570 slower to Michael then he closed his mouth.

Inorder to enjoy commentary ... both the person should have different tastes then it will be fun, similar interests ... cant imagine, only one team under the spotlight.

And about Michael Magic ... he sure is capable to producing some great magic, isnt he?
Old 3rd August 2005, 20:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
I have one thing to say
BRING BACK Murray Walker and let the good times roll
I'm with you on this one. The combo of Murray Walker and Martin Brundle has got to be the best one ever. Keith Huewen and Julian Ryder come second.
Old 3rd August 2005, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Michael's 1st Sector timing much faster then the rest but he was not ready to accept that this Ferrari is going that fast. He said that its the middle sector which reflects the best car ... Still Michael was way ahead so obvs. Steve had to come in.
And same thing during Montoyo's lap 1st sector he is .080 from Michaels' time and he was hoping and stressing that Juan will pullback time but 2nd sector timings .570 slower to Michael then he closed his mouth.
to be fair here no one expected Ferrari to be so strong at Hungry
& about JPM it is pretty clear that McLaren is the best car on grid this season so there was nothing wrong with expecting that McLaren will bounce back, unless you are Ferrari fan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks