Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 11:29   #1
BHPian

Why don't they plonk Splendor engine in Zen ???

Yes, Why don't they plonk a Splendor engine in the Zen.

It was 1995 and I was 10 years old when I asked that. My dad was working with a Maruti Dealer as Works manager in Kerala then.

My reasoning was straight HH Splendor gives a mileage of 65+ and MS Zen give 16kmpl. Dad did not laugh at me(surprising because I would have. Anybody would have.)

He asked me if I could carry a full gas cylinder on my own. I replied NO and then he went on to explain how car is like the cylinder (load) and engine is like the human that lugs it on. So larger the load larger the engine needs to be etc etc etc.. Anyways that was my initiation to the world of cars.

From then on dad used to take me to his workshop full of Marutis (mostly 800 Omni and zen then) and I used to sit there looking the under the hood and underbelly of those cars. Watching all of it in utter amazement. There I started my tryst with machines.

Now I am a business consultant in an IT firm. Automotive ECU designs, Avionics, defense systems. Machines are my specialty.

I love long drives. Driven my Ford Figo to 25000kms in just 8months and Fiat Linea (partly by dad) to 16000kms in the same 8 months.

Apart from cars I like history and love to read.

I have learned a lot from the industry and from my hand on experience in life. I think it is time to give back to the pool from where I have learned.
So here I am...
Old 25th May 2011, 12:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why don't they plonk Splendor engine in Zen ???

Welcome, Figo_MBA ! That was a nice, simple & honest introduction. Stuff that I am sure many of us have asked when we were young .. but the miles have gone by and we are relatively wiser.

What's the relationship between being a business consultant in an IT firm and Automotive ECU designs, Avionics & Defense systems ? And the speciality part ?

Hope you enjoy your journey here. Drive Safe !
Old 25th May 2011, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Welcome, Figo_MBA !

What's the relationship between being a business consultant in an IT firm and Automotive ECU designs, Avionics & Defense systems ? And the specialty part ?
I am business consultant in aviation business now.
I was into designing Automotive ECUs, Avionics and others components for aeronautical and Defense systems.
Requires understanding of many systems(mainly mechanical/automotive/aeronautical) to understand how to control them.

Mechatronics ->mechanical muscle and electronic brain.
My speciality ? Understanding of machines and an electronics degree
Old 25th May 2011, 13:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
That matches dot on dot with my specialization & background !!
Happy to see a fellow mechatronics brain here, Welcome mate
Old 25th May 2011, 14:27   #5
BHPian

Welcome aboard Figo_mba, now that you and Kri$hna here, we will have loads of knowledge on Mechatronics!

Cheers!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome buddy. Good to see another bhpian from Cochin. Hope to meet you during our Cochin tbhp meets. Keep a close watch here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...cochin-44.html

We are planning a meet after June 7th. Enjoy your stay here.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
That's a heady combination indeed

Welcome aboard and looking forward to some interesting threads from you.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Welcome buddy. Good to see another bhpian from Cochin. Hope to meet you during our Cochin tbhp meets. Keep a close watch here:

will be there. Now the meet in Kochi is on my radar. Glad. really glad. Wait to meet fellow t-bhp-ians. Have another friend also who is a bhp-ian but shies away from these meets. will get him to attend as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

I will be there. Now the meet in Kochi is on my radar. Glad. really glad.
Waiting to meet fellow t-bhp-ians and boy its exciting.
Have another friend also who is a long time bhp-ian but shies away from these meets. Will try get him to attend as well . i guess more the merrier.
What say you ?

Note from Support: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2011 at 15:39. Reason: Note Inline
Old 25th May 2011, 15:06   #9
BANNED

Welcome to TBhp.

Now hows Figo related to mba? Do you mean cos of MBA, you could buy a Figo?
Old 25th May 2011, 15:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP MR FIGO MBA. you are one of the few from down south who spell MARUTI with the "H". Good to know that you own a FIGO and i know there is something up with the FIGO's they just run too much. i have ended up driving my FIGO 7700 KM's Till date and its 2 and half months now.
Old 25th May 2011, 16:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now I am a business consultant in an IT firm. Automotive ECU designs, Avionics, defense systems. Machines are my specialty.

I have learned a lot from the industry and from my hand on experience in life. I think it is time to give back to the pool from where I have learned.
So here I am..
Mods, don't know if I'm allowed to ask technical queries in an introduction thread. Please move post if necessary.

@figomba - barring aside the basic differences between a SI and CI engine, why essentially must be the ECU's different? Consider both engines to be NA and having similar capacities, power / torque can vary.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 25th May 2011 at 16:32.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Welcome to TBhp.

Now hows Figo related to mba? Do you mean cos of MBA, you could buy a Figo?
figo related to mba? cant find any reason why i chose the name. Was more of an impulse. I own a figo and i have an mba as well.

Have to say this. I had thought of figoMBA as the intial name but then it sounded a lot like "Pashoomba" a colloquial reference to Cow in Malayalam language and with this i promptly changed my name to figo_mba.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...es/biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Welcome to TBHP MR FIGO MBA. you are one of the few from down south who spell MARUTI with the "H". Good to know that you own a FIGO and i know there is something up with the FIGO's they just run too much. i have ended up driving my FIGO 7700 KM's Till date and its 2 and half months now.
i spell maruti without the 'H'. you must have missed the 'out'

Even i feel there is something with this car, Everytime i finish a long drive I ask myself "Where next ?"

You are garnering pretty huge miles on your odo yourself. Enjoy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Mods, don't know if I'm allowed to ask technical queries in an introduction thread. Please move post if necessary.

@figomba - barring aside the basic differences between a SI and CI engine, why essentially must be the ECU's different? Consider both engines to be NA and having similar capacities, power / torque can vary.

Spike
Since SI and CI engines are different from the first word, the differences in ECU must be so as well.
Now I have worked on a Diesel Engine ECU with a turbo and I can tell you there is a lot of stress on delivering fuel. Here, Diesel fuel is very tricky and the direct injection would mean the fuel needs to be held at correct pressure and injected in correct amount (pump characteristics). Petrol vapor however is lot easier in this area.
There is a lot complexity in handling the valve train also. The valve leading and lagging based on the power requirements (load factor + throttle input) are also quite simpler in gasoline engines (compared to diesel only, otherwise code is really complex)
Throttle input processing is another area of difference. I do not fully know the details though
Then cranking is different. Of course we all know that, but the amount of fuel injected etc is varied from initially when engine starts to when the engine has warmed up and there is a lot of conditions of the air intake temperature, Exhaust temperature etc.
I mean to say there is differences in code involved in all these and many more.
Another thing i want to mention here is, ECU although used in the context as Engine control Unit.
ECU is also a short form for Electronic Control Unit that are used for controlling many other functions in the car. Some cars have 20 or more ECU doing variety of functions like Telematics control or say safety control only or Infotainment unit only or most important of all Engine control and management only.

Note from Support: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th May 2011 at 01:45.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 01:30   #13
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Figo_Mba.
Surprisingly even i'm doing MBA & will going to buy the figo soon.
But as everyone here is asking about the relation between the long drives & figo, I can clarify that its someting really lying in the figo's driving seat which urges its driver to clock more & more miles with Smiles. Haven't got this feeling in any other car yet.
Please do post your Ownership threads(of both Figo & Linea seprately) in dedicated sections with detailed pics of your cars.
Old 26th May 2011, 08:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Welcome to the forum Figo_Mba.
Surprisingly even i'm doing MBA & will going to buy the figo soon.
But as everyone here is asking about the relation between the long drives & figo, I can clarify that its someting really lying in the figo's driving seat which urges its driver to clock more & more miles with Smiles. Haven't got this feeling in any other car yet.
Please do post your Ownership threads(of both Figo & Linea separately) in dedicated sections with detailed pics of your cars.
Good to know that, CRtorquefan. And truly said something about this car that makes you clock more and more miles.

My guess is that it is a combination of driving dynamics,Engine, power and mileage, AC, seating ergonomics, music system which makes driving fun.

I checked the ownership thread and found 2 figo threads and few linea threads.

Mods Am I allowed to post a separate ownership thread ?
Old 26th May 2011, 08:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since SI and CI engines are different from the first word, the differences in ECU must be so as well.
------
Ok, my question was slightly different. As these things are different, what essentially is changed in the ECU? Programs / codes anyway will be different, which can be fed as required.

Spike
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks