Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Great to be Onboard

Hi Champions,

Warm greetings to all of you.

First, a BIG thanks to Team-BHP moderators for giving me an opportunity to be part of this legendary forum. I have been a habitual bookworm of this forum for more than a few years. Now, I am so self-righteous to be a member of the finest automotive forum in the country.

I was born and brought up in god's own country Kerala, and currently settled in the garden city of India, Bangalore. I am a software professional who loves computers, cars, bikes and traditional martial arts.

Bike Ownership Experience: 2003 Model Bajaj Pulsar 150 non-DTSI. Soon I am reaching the milestone of 50000KM ODO reading on this machine.

Car Ownership Experience: 1991 Model Maruti 800(second hand car), 1997 Model Maruti Esteem 1.3L Petrol (Second hand car - Sold), 2010 Model Hyundai i10 Sportz (Sold) and since four months, I own the torque emperor of the C segment Sedans, a 2012 Model Vento Highline TDI.

That’s it from a newbie and i am looking forward to read, contribute and become skilled further from this puddle of knowledge day after day from now on.

Regards,
LOTHAR
Old 7th December 2012, 05:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Great to be Onboard

Welcome aboard TBHP, lothar. Please make it a point to go through the rules so that you enjoy a pleasant stay on this forum.

Like the handle. Takes me back to my good old comic reading days. Not that I don't occasionally still read them.

Am sure your passion will be stoked more by being a member rather than merely an outsider looking in
Old 7th December 2012, 11:31   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot pganapathy. Yes, I completely revere each rule, which is defined by Team BHP. These rules make sure an overall decorum is maintained in every breed of posts across this forum.

Yes, now being a member, I am sure my keenness for cars will be far above the ground and looking forward to connect and share knowledge with enthusiasts like you.

LOTHAR
Old 7th December 2012, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, Mighty_Lothar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
...traditional martial arts...
That is interesting ...please do share more details about this , if possible. Traditional martial arts has always interested me, though I never got around to learning/practising it.
Old 7th December 2012, 14:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks BLUE THUNDER.

I have always had a passion for martial arts since from my childhood days. When I was a kid, I was fond of watching martial art movies. Our school had martial art training classes (Karate) when I was doing my fifth standard. I was then behind my parents for arranging the fee so that I can get into the classes. My first training season had ended within 5 months. We came to know from the school officials that after collecting 6th month fee (200Rs during those days); the trainer was absconded. Later, I landed up in learning the mother of all martial arts, Kalaripayattu. My uncles were trained inNorthern kalari payat style. Therefore, every school vacations, I was at my mother’s home with my uncles, learning the magic of coordinating mind and body. It makes you fit, it makes you strong. Though the training was not in regular intervals, I had been with them for couple of months.

Those days are gone now but I still have my passion towards this age-old martial art and whenever I get some opportunity, I visit them and spend some hours watching the training class.
The new generation kids are now behind the popular Chinese kung fu and muay thai. However, you know, I am happy that kalari payatu is still practiced at many places in Kerala and neighboring parts of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

And, coming back to the reality, this is Team-BHP and we should discuss much about Driving Arts, not about Martial Arts. I hope moderators will pardon me for my first two snippets.

Thanks again welcoming me to this astonishing crowd Blue Thunder. I am preparing a detailed ownership review of my VENTO and that should be ready after my impending trip to Kerala in this December.

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 11:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to TBHP, O Mighty Lothar...

Quote:
Later, I landed up in learning the mother of all martial arts, Kalaripayattu. My uncles were trained inNorthern kalari payat style. Therefore, every school vacations, I was at my mother’s home with my uncles, learning the magic of coordinating mind and body. It makes you fit, it makes you strong. Though the training was not in regular intervals, I had been with them for couple of months.
You are lucky to have elders who are handing their tradition down to the next generation. I am green with envy. About 200+ years back my ancestors had the same tradition, which was totally erased by the British.

Some info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1978338

Quote:
And, coming back to the reality, this is Team-BHP and we should discuss much about Driving Arts, not about Martial Arts. I hope moderators will pardon me for my first two snippets.
There is no need to pardon anything. We have a section for every kind of useful information.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 20:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was born and brought up in god's own country Kerala, and currently settled in the garden city of India, Bangalore. I am a software professional who loves computers, cars, bikes and traditional martial arts.
Namaskaaaram ! Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Later, I landed up in learning the mother of all martial arts, Kalaripayattu. My uncles were trained inNorthern kalari payat style.
Where are you based in Kerala (if you don't mind) Kozhikkode, Kannur? I am asking because you mentioned Northern Kalaripayattu.

And what does Lothar mean / signify ?

Spike
Old 9th December 2012, 23:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
And what does Lothar mean / signify ?
You never read Mandrake the Magician comics?
Old 10th December 2012, 00:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You never read Mandrake the Magician comics?
Un / fortunately not. I have heard of Mandrake though

And this too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Mandrake

I was more active with outdoor sports, in fact, I doubt if I have read any comic book fully.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 09:55   #10
BHPian

Thanks a ton for your wishes Samurai. Great to know from you and thanks for sharing a piece of martial history at your end.

Namaskaram SPIKE ARRESTOR. Thank you.

I am located in the border of Kannur but my residence comes under Kasargod District. It is a village named Palavayal.

Lothar is Mandrake's best friend and crime fighting companion. Lothar is often referred to as "the strongest man in the world"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_the_Magician
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks