Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 11:42   #1

Hello from Chennai

Hello Guys

I am Balaji, living in Chennai. I am glad that I got admitted as a member after 10 long years (after 4 tries). I am a software Engineer by profession. My current drive is a VW Ameo and current ride is TVS Star City.

I learnt to ride in our family Bajaj Chetak during my class 6. During the initial days of learning to ride, whenever I engage the gear the scooter stalled. Our home is in a slope. So, I would start the scooter, sit on it and when the scooter rolls down the slop, I engage the gear. As days passed, I master the art of engaging the gear without stalling it.

I learnt to drive in a driving school in Chennai. The instructor wanted every new student to come to the class early in the morning. The reason behind it was
1. He would turn on the headlights before starting the session
2. He will ask us to understand the boundaries of the car by the light and shadow

After completing my driving class, my friend loaned me his Zen for a week for me to hone my skills. It was an old model Zen with only Hydraulic steering. I used to panic during the U-Turns, as I had to make multiple forward and reverse movements with this HS to achieve.

I got my first car in 2009. It was Maruti Alto LXi. After 2 years and 39000+ mileage on it, I felt an upgrade to diesel was mandatory.
My second car was a Ritz VDi (Alto was exchanged) and it did its duty for 6 years and 88000+ Kms.

VW Ameo came into family in 2017 and has completed 48K kms so far. Off late the highway runs are lesser because of kids getting into higher classes.

This is pretty much about me. I have been a silent viewer all these years and would like to contribute more to this forum moving forward.

Cheers & Stay safe !
mailbalaji is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Hello from Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbalaji View Post
Hello Guys

I am Balaji, living in Chennai. I am glad that I got admitted as a member after 10 long years (after 4 tries). I am a software Engineer by profession. My current drive is a VW Ameo and current ride is TVS Star City.
Welcome Balaji, wish you a pleasant stay here.

Quote:
I learnt to drive in a driving school in Chennai. The instructor wanted every new student to come to the class early in the morning. The reason behind it was
1. He would turn on the headlights before starting the session
2. He will ask us to understand the boundaries of the car by the light and shadow
Now that's a driving school went the extra mile to teach driving. May I know from which school did you learn?

Quote:

I got my first car in 2009. It was Maruti Alto LXi. After 2 years and 39000+ mileage on it, I felt an upgrade to diesel was mandatory.
My second car was a Ritz VDi (Alto was exchanged) and it did its duty for 6 years and 88000+ Kms.
Nice mileage you've piled up on those Marutis.

Quote:
VW Ameo came into family in 2017 and has completed 48K kms so far. Off late the highway runs are lesser because of kids getting into higher classes.
Is the Ameo a DSG? How has the ownership experience so far?

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:52   #3
BHPian

Welcome onboard @mailbalaji. A big hello from another Chennaite.

I too had a similar trainer in Triplicane asking me to come early in the morning. His reason is to train ourselves with headlights on, simulating night traffic.
Old 15th February 2021, 14:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum!

I also learnt driving (rather say riding) on a Bajaj Chetak when I was in 7th standard in 1997.

Learnt driving a car in 2001 on our 4 speed 2000 model M800 Ex.
Old 15th February 2021, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Balaji.

Nice to see that mileage on a Ritz, personally I always preferred the Ritz over the Swift.
Have travelled quite a bit on the Star City. Astonishing motorcycle, never let us down regardless of the maintenance and everytime we checked the FE, we couldn't believe the numbers which came back, it was that good.

Ameo would be a worthy successor to the Ritz, good choice.

Happy Motoring
Old 15th February 2021, 16:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Welcome Balaji.

Nice to see that mileage on a Ritz, personally I always preferred the Ritz over the Swift.
Have travelled quite a bit on the Star City. Astonishing motorcycle, never let us down regardless of the maintenance and everytime we checked the FE, we couldn't believe the numbers which came back, it was that good.

Ameo would be a worthy successor to the Ritz, good choice.

Happy Motoring
Ritz was such a pleasure to drive around (but for the looks). Nothing beats a Star City for a commuter bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I also learnt driving (rather say riding) on a Bajaj Chetak when I was in 7th standard in 1997.

Learnt driving a car in 2001 on our 4 speed 2000 model M800 Ex.
You will never fall down of a scooter while you learn to ride
Also, as a kid, I would ride the Chetak in flooded roads with water splashing all around and I don't get wet. Where as my friends in their TVS 50, M80 would have their pants wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Welcome onboard @mailbalaji. A big hello from another Chennaite.

I too had a similar trainer in Triplicane asking me to come early in the morning. His reason is to train ourselves with headlights on, simulating night traffic.
It indeed helped me understand the car's dimensions better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Welcome Balaji, wish you a pleasant stay here.

Now that's a driving school went the extra mile to teach driving. May I know from which school did you learn?

Nice mileage you've piled up on those Marutis.

Is the Ameo a DSG? How has the ownership experience so far?

Cheers!
It was a local driving school in Chitlapakkam area. We used to drive a lot when my boys where young. We never had to worry about the school holidays or apply for leaves. As they grew, highway drives have been limited.

I own a Ameo TDi MT. Ownership has been smooth so far except for the costly service and spares (Which I was already aware of)
mailbalaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Welcome aboard! Thanks for joining us!
Old 19th February 2021, 05:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Forum Balaji. Looking forward to seeing your contributions. Would love to see a picture of your current and ex-rides.

Your driving instructor sure has some interesting methods to teach you about the road. Please so share some more anecdotes here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...s-road-59.html (Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks