Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Hello from an engineer in the making !!

Hi guys So here goes my first post. Being in college, I am having to write this VERY carefully as I am used to the SMS or the IM lingo. Constant backspaces to correct the short forms and other forms of cruelty to the language are the order of the day

Something about me is in order I suppose. I am 20 years old and am pursuing B.E. Electronics and Instrumentation from BITS Pilani. But otherwise, I am based in Gurgaon. Owning or driving/riding 'Personal vehicles' are banned on the campus, so I am having to do with a cycle for now If you or your son/daughter/cousin/friend/nephew/niece/acquaintance etc are planning to come here, keep that in mind !! Obviously, like I said, I don't own any cars. But in my family we have an 800 (i think around 14 years old, which noone uses), an alto lxi (2005) and an esteem lxi (2004), which is going to be replaced very soon with a sunlight copper swift ldi. Turbo power, here I come !!

Presumably, most of you would have been car buffs since an early age, and I am no exception. Having grown up on a constant diet of car mags (Auto India at first, then moved to Overdrive and Top gear), there was a time in my life when I could rattle off the power, torque, 0-100 times, dimensions, price etc of pretty much every car in the country. Of course the explosion of car launches lately led to me abandoning this 'hobby' of mine.

I am also a huge top gear fan. In fact I have the whole top gear collection right from season 1 to 11 on my HDD. There is little else that gives me so much fun as watching those three banter among themselves. While discussing cars of course. So I guess this is it about me. Would love to contribute to the brilliantly maintained forum that team-bhp has. And yes, team-bhp.com has now become my homepage!

Last edited by Samurai : 14th November 2008 at 00:46. Reason: format fixed
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2008, 23:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry Demon, we also encourage the usage of cycles here. Hope you have a nice time here and Welcome
Old 13th November 2008, 23:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

you seem to have overcome your SMS lingo affliction quite well, and that in itself is an achievement

I hope you have the same enthusiasm at the end of your engineering course any specific auto related academic interests ?
Old 13th November 2008, 23:42   #4
BHPian

I am sorry for the formatting, it came all wrong.
Will try to be more careful from now on.

And thanks for the welcome here guys.
Old 14th November 2008, 00:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team-BHP d3mon, and welcome to our kind of writing. I use normal written English even while SMSing since I don't know any SMS lingo, I find it easier to read and even write in normal English.
Old 14th November 2008, 01:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you seem to have overcome your SMS lingo affliction quite well, and that in itself is an achievement

I hope you have the same enthusiasm at the end of your engineering course any specific auto related academic interests ?
We do have a course on Automobiles, and I will go for that next year.

Apart from that, crazy ideas are the norm in an engineering college.I am planning to do a project next semester to try and map the surface of the road to let the suspension settings be adjusted for better ride and handling.

Ofcourse this is a lifelong fixation for me. I wouldn't give up this enthusiasm for all the oil in iraq !! (or maybe i could give it a thought, given the price of petrol/diesel these days )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP d3mon, and welcome to our kind of writing. I use normal written English even while SMSing since I don't know any SMS lingo, I find it easier to read and even write in normal English.
Well it's easier to read, but it sure takes a lot longer to type. And BTW (I hope such short forms are fine) thanks for fixing the formatting samurai!cheers:
Old 14th November 2008, 16:39   #7
BHPian

Hey There, Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay.

Cheers!!!!
Old 17th November 2008, 20:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
...Apart from that, crazy ideas are the norm in an engineering college.I am planning to do a project next semester to try and map the surface of the road to let the suspension settings be adjusted for better ride and handling....
Hey! I have been thinking about this since quite a while!!

Would love to hear what you have planned.... maybe open a new thread to discuss this project?

Cheers,
R
Old 17th November 2008, 21:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP, d3mon. Good to see someone take the effort to make that first post count!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I use normal written English even while SMSing since I don't know any SMS lingo.
In our case, Samurai san, ignorance is not an achievement. Its called a generation gap.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey! I have been thinking about this since quite a while!!

Would love to hear what you have planned.... maybe open a new thread to discuss this project?

Cheers,
R
Ya. The basic idea is to have a sensor mounted in front of the front 2 wheels, maybe even the rear ones for more accuracy. The sensor would track the depth of the road in real time and knowing the speed of the vehicle, it can calculate the time after which that patch of road is going to be traversed. A graph of the same can be obtained easily.

Using technologies that have already been developed (like having an air suspension as in the S class OR a magnetic suspension as in Audi TT), the suspension can react to the road BEFORE the actual pothole/rut/obstruction is encountered. This is in contrast to current Active suspension systems which react AFTER the car has gone through an irregular patch of road. So the system is pro-active

I haven't yet decided on the exact sensor I will be using. Any ideas ?
Old 17th November 2008, 21:50   #11
BHPian

Welcome Demon,
Reading your TBhp id, I could visualize all those Demons fighting for a processor slice on my Linux kernel. One of them gave me a nightmare this weekend.

Nice to see that you are lucky to study in BITS which is a campus choice for millions in India. Make use of that opportunity to the fullest and you can have the best cars in the world.
Old 17th November 2008, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Welcome Demon,
Reading your TBhp id, I could visualize all those Demons fighting for a processor slice on my Linux kernel. One of them gave me a nightmare this weekend.

Nice to see that you are lucky to study in BITS which is a campus choice for millions in India. Make use of that opportunity to the fullest and you can have the best cars in the world.
Don't you mean a daemon, HCP ? (i know you are not exactly RHCP, but how's this for a nick ?)

And thanks for the best wishes, how did you know what i want ??
Old 24th November 2008, 03:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Using technologies that have already been developed (like having an air suspension as in the S class OR a magnetic suspension as in Audi TT),...
I guess you have seen this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-systems.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Quote:
...I haven't yet decided on the exact sensor I will be using. Any ideas ?
Ultrasonic, infrared etc etc...I dont know!!! And each one has its own advantages, so i think the ideal solution would be to mix and match, and also use two "vantage points" -- eg. one set mounted in front of the wheels, and one set on the top of the A-pillars.
Keeping the sensors clean at the low position is going to be hard as well.

Also, maybe start simple - just start tackling a standard speed-breaker first.

Also, link it up to the steering position sensor -- which can provide a few additional advantages if you think about it.

Keep us posted.
R
Old 12th December 2008, 14:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

D3mon,

Check this out!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1089280-post2.html

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2008 at 14:15.
Old 13th December 2008, 00:11   #15
BHPian

Damn, almost every idea that i come up with, it gets implemented before i can even start working on it.

Not fair.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks