Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 10:14   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift VDi Sunlight Copper!

Note from Mod : Please refer to our rules. No more than 2 smilies per post please.

Hello All!

I've been a member here for more than an year, initially used to drop by to post Ads of gadgets while I read up on a thread every now and then about Cars...that is until I decided to 'upgrade' from a pertrol car to one that runs on Diesel.

Why a Diesel car?

My cost conscious mind and fuel prices soaring 25% (now 50% !)since the time I bought my first car - a beautiful Azure Grey Swift VXi

While the petrol Swift was perfect in many ways...
-Looks
-Price - bought used
-Value - at that point in time the only car that gave a luxury feel in that price range

...It was pinching my pocket with the kind of mileage it gave. Spiralling fuel prices added to it.

And then there was this itch to buy a Diesel car even before I bought my first car (explains the username!).

Phase 1

So...I put the VXi up for sale to see if I can get a decent price and then switch to a Diesel. Fortunately got a good offer and happily sold it.

Phase 2 of the project was to test drive all available diesel hatchbacks and make a decision while I already knew that I my mind was almost set on Swift cos of the fact that it was within my budget.

TD Experience: While its known that MSIL followed by Hyundai have the best service network and response, I wanted to test the response of the sales people. So went ahead and booked test drives for all the vehicles I was interested in on the web instead of calling.

Response from Maruti and Hyundai was lightning quick! Response in an hour and test drive arranged as per my convenience within a couple of hours.

Response from Fiat was fast too - got the car for TD the very next day.

Quick responses from VW and Nissan centralised customer care impressed me, but they flattered to deceive. After waiting for two days I gave a call to VW Hosur Road and VW Downtown - former said diesel TD car has gone for service and never got back and the latter did not show interest in getting the car to my house which is 4km away when I requested. Similar responses from Ford - Metro Ford guys called only to promise a TD in a day and again on follow up from me...then did not bother to respond(inspite of opting for a TD through Zigwheels who also said someone from Ford in Blr would get in touch with me), Nissan - someone woke up after 3 weeks and got the car for TD.

My personal views on TDs:

i20:
+s: build, engine performance, features and interiors.
-s: Price. Would've gone for this if I had the money.

Punto:
+s: Feels solid. Like the 'thunk' of the door closing.
-s: Linear acceleration, somehow did not like the driving experience, turning radius.

Micra:
+s: More spacious than I thought it was.
-s: Poor service network.

Swift:
+s: Famed MJD, driving comfort(or was it just familiarity with a SWIFT!), turbo-kick
-s: Flimsy build (simple test - fold the SRVM on a Swift and then on an i20!)

Decision:

So it all came down to what was best suited for my budget and whether the costlier cars were worth it at all from my POV. Swift VDi fitted the bill (unfortunately didn't get to TD a Polo and a Figo) considering I was taking a huge loan from parents to make a one shot payment in full.

Purchase and after:

Sales experience and delivery
Got mine delivered a month after booking with Pratham Motors Queen's Road (made another booking with Garuda Maruti as a backup ). I used to bug the sales people with frequent enquiries about when my vehicle will get delivered. While I wasn't given a specific date...I was always given a range. I feel I got mine soon because of people preferring to wait for the New Swift and may be because I was referred by a colleague, who between his brother and him had referred 15 people! Most of them having bought Swift or bigger models like SX4 and even a Grand Vitara!!!

Sales guys were sufficiently polite. I didn't go to the Stocking yard to check the car due to work. I'm hoping my baby was handled properly.

Had to pay up 13K more thanks to the increase in car prices and the hike in taxes in K'taka effective April 01, 2011
Was given the option of paying up for an Azure Grey VDi at 9PM on March 31st night...I did not take it since it would be the same colour and the feeling of having a NEW car might not be there! So decided to wait...got the Sunlight copper I wanted and paid up 6.53L instead of 6.37L

I was informed about the vehicle's transit and delivery date a week in advance. The registration process was inititated based on bank's mini-statement showing that the amount was debited from my account. I ensured that I had a good look at the car in daylight, then a snap with my car and I was ready to drive home with my father

Using the Swift D

Tried pooling but it did not work out so I leave early in the morning to avoid traffic on the Indiranagar-ECity route. 18km takes about 30-40 mins depending on how early I leave. So I end up doing atleast 36km a day.

+s and -s

+ Driving in city - The D engine obviously packs in torque and makes driving in Bangalore traffic much easier than the petrol one.
+ On the highway - I'm ok with the inherent sluggishness of a Diesel engine. But I've observed that the engine grunts a little or should I say sounds like its putting in effort when moving from 60kmph to 80 kmph...this I feel started when the odo read 3000km. Would love to get this clarified from a Swift D owner on the forum by meeting up and taking it for a spin.
I'm ok with the performance and NVH levels otherwise.
= Gear Transmission - I think I'm just about ok with the smoothness or lack of it. It can be much better. Response is pretty decent too.
+ Clutch - I love the clutch in this and prefer it over the ones in i20 and Punto. Felt the i20 clutch went a few feet below the ground before I could change the gear. Punto wasn't comfortable and felt my left foot cramped for space.
+ Fuel efficiency - Measuring over multiple fills I've got around 16.5 kmpl with AC on all the while in city. Have measured 21 kmpl on the only highway drive. Running cost per km is around Rs.3 and am I happy that its halved from the earlier Rs.6/km!
= Not much to say on the exterior design and look. I like the toad and like it better with Wider tyres
- The finish is not perfect. For eg. the bonnet lid had a larger gap on one side than the other side which looked liked perfect fit. Another eg: The left rear tail-lamp creaks when I press it a little - reason is bumper hasn't been fitted perfectly.
- Overall build quality - I will simply say its like a Maruti! So I do not expect much
= Spacing and comfort - Its a driver's car and it is still is. Feel the space for the driver is very good. Passengers at the back can still complain about lack of leg space...I would if I were seated there!
= Interior design and quality is what we've been seeing since I had no grey hair. Some people will hate it, some like me wont mind since I know the reason why I am going in for a Swift D.
-? Airconditioner - feels like this AC didn't keep me as cool as the VXi did on many a mid-days during the Bangalore summer that just got over. It's because I've no sunfilm installed I've been told. Is that right? The VXi had "Oh my God I can't see anything outside at night" kind of sunfilm.
+ Suspension - Better than the VXi. Doesn't hit the same road humps I used to with the VXi! Feels sufficiently stiff.
= Ride quaity - With the stock tyres, I can feel most of the potholes. Not sure if better tyres would help.
+ Braking - Braking has been pretty good. There have been instances when I had to stop at short distances thanks to the city traffic...its done very well. High speed braking...hmm...can't really comment as I've hit them only while driving safe. No tough situations encountered yet...thankfully.
?? High speed behaviour - I've always felt Swift is a safe car in the 90-110 kmph range, I usually do not drive more than this even when there is a clear road ahead.
The only time I made an exception was when a colleague of mine wanted to race with me in his Punto! I realised I'd hit 140kmph and was horrified cos I never could imagine doing it. See what wanting to win did to me! It behaved quite ok at 140kmph...but I am sure I will never go into that territory again.
= After Sales Service - Has been an ok experience. Car came back from the second service with it's beard still in place(grown during the highway drive to Kollegal over scores of grain stacks placed on the highway by farmers). Called the Service incharge to tell him the same and he offered to wash it immediately.
I also noticed a couple of points where the plastic has chipped on the holder(?) where the music system will be installed. I haven't used it roughly so it should have happened at the Service centre. The Service GM has promised to have a look at it when I take it for a wash.

What I still need to be in/on the SWIFT D - Suggestions
1. Music System - Can someone please suggest music system+speakers+tweeters in a budget of 15K?! Or am I asking too much for too little money?
2. Floor mats - mats provided by Maruti are BAD. Slip easily. Much worse than the ones that were provided with the old VXi I had!
3. Sunfilm - With kind of visibility that Swift has, what kind of sunfilm should I be looking at. Old swift left me feeling like a bat when it rained...that too at night...cos it had some junta sunfilm installed by the first owner.
4. Alloy wheels+broad tyres - this is reserved for when tyres will need to be changed, unless I get rich suddenly! Suggestions are welcome though. Have the feeling I'm being vague here...?
5. Seat covers - Looking at light colour Art Leather seat covers...something not too heavy on the pocket.
6. K&N Filter - Can anyone please tell me if installing this has ensured improved performance and mileage? Should I be going ahead with it? Will just installing it do or there is some other tweaking that needs to be done?

Most important:
7. Engine oil change - First and second service done. Stock Engine oil used during first service. Wanted to do another stock engine oil change during second service (5000 km), but Service guys said its not necessary. So did not. Should I still do it? Will it help in the long run? Current odo reading is 6200 km

Plan was to put in normal engine oil now and Synthetic for the 10000 km service.

Eagerly awaiting inputs

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2011 at 14:56. Reason: Please refer to our rules. No more than 2 smilies per post please.
DDIS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Swift VDi Sunlight Copper!

Welcome onboard Team BHP and congrats DDIS.

It is very good to laern that you have bought your dream machine.

Enjoy the great ownership experience and post you driving experience with loads of photos soon.

Best rgds,charthom
Old 1st August 2011, 11:50   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Swift VDi Sunlight Copper!

Thread moved from Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Reports forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st August 2011, 19:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
1. Music System - Can someone please suggest music system+speakers+tweeters in a budget of 15K?! Or am I asking too much for too little money?
15K is a decent cost. I would prefer you go for a good HU - 6K, a pair of components , a good pair of 6x9s at the back and good wiring. Ideally you need to do damping for your car if you need clear sound since Swift's build quality is not so great. You could add a 4 channel amp later - should cost you another 4-5K without bill.

Quote:
2. Floor mats - mats provided by Maruti are BAD. Slip easily. Much worse than the ones that were provided with the old VXi I had!
There are some 3D mats provided by Kagu. Its expensive, but you may want to take a note of it. I have an additional plastic coating below the mat which prevent the floor getting dirty. MASS charged 1800/- or so, it should be cheaper outside.

Quote:
3. Sunfilm - With kind of visibility that Swift has, what kind of sunfilm should I be looking at. Old swift left me feeling like a bat when it rained...that too at night...cos it had some junta sunfilm installed by the first owner.
I would prefer 3M for ~ 4K [side + rear] . Good one. And if you want to improve efficiency, go for the front windshield which would cost another ~6K

Quote:
4. Alloy wheels+broad tyres - this is reserved for when tyres will need to be changed, unless I get rich suddenly!
Alloy wheels is a personal preference. Try some good brands [Lenso, HR, Plati, League etc] than indian ones unless you are short of budget. The best upgrade is 195/60 R15.

Quote:
5. Seat covers - Looking at light colour Art Leather seat covers...something not too heavy on the pocket.
There is a shop in Bannerghatta road which do good stuff. Fro branded ones, you can try Ovion / Stanley, but will cost a bomb.

Quote:
6. K&N Filter - Can anyone please tell me if installing this has ensured improved performance and mileage? Should I be going ahead with it? Will just installing it do or there is some other tweaking that needs to be done?
People never have said anything bad about it. Sure it has its own advantages on performance & FE, but not by miles. Will set you back by 5K or so.

Quote:
7. Engine oil change - First and second service done. Stock Engine oil used during first service. Wanted to do another stock engine oil change during second service (5000 km), but Service guys said its not necessary. So did not. Should I still do it? Will it help in the long run? Current odo reading is 6200 km
Ideally you should have done it at 1000 kms. Now you could wait till 10K.

Quote:
Plan was to put in normal engine oil now and Synthetic for the 10000 km service.
Makes sense.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 21:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Swiftnfurious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
There is a shop in Bannerghatta road which do good stuff.
Would you know the name of the shop by any chance?

Quote:
People never have said anything bad about it. Sure it has its own advantages on performance & FE, but not by miles. Will set you back by 5K or so.
Certainly haven't heard bad things about it at all just wanted to know how good it is! 5K should be ok for something which lasts for 1L kms...probably when I have some dough.

Quote:
Ideally you should have done it at 1000 kms. Now you could wait till 10K.
MASS recommended oil change was done at 1K km for first service. My query was if it would help in anyway by doing another oil change during the Second (5k km) service since the engine is still in the initial period.

Thanks a lot again for the reply!
Old 1st August 2011, 21:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you know the name of the shop by any chance?
I was talking about the below one - Imeprial Inc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

While searching I came across some more listed below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...covers-34.html

Quote:
Certainly haven't heard bad things about it at all just wanted to know how good it is!
As I said, the difference is not "leagues" ahead. Noticeable though.

Quote:
My query was if it would help in anyway by doing another oil change during the Second (5k km) service since the engine is still in the initial period.
Not required. You should be OK with the 10K change ! By the way did Maruti recommend a change at 1K ? That's surprising as I never knew it. The usually change oil only at 10K and will persuade the customer not to do it at 1K even if they want to. My personal experience.

Edit:: One thing which I do regularly is a general check up [five point check or something in Maruti terms] every 3K kilometers which include the air filter cleaning & fluid check / top up which cost 120/- for any car in MASS. This would ensure your car's breathing is fine. It can take a lot of dust in Bangalore within 3000 kms.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st August 2011 at 21:49.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 23:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats DDIS on getting the DDiS. Any specific reasons why you didn't wait for the new swift considering its just around the corner?

Anyways, Swift D is a great car even in its present form. Wishing you a trouble free ownership. And please post some pictures of the car.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your Maruti Swift VDi.

Hope you had this thing in mind that the New Swift is around the corner and the current one is now discontinued. But still you got the right car and a Maruti will never disappoint you.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:37   #9
BHPian

Thanks SnF, will go through the links!

Quote:
By the way did Maruti recommend a change at 1K ? That's surprising as I never knew it. The usually change oil only at 10K and will persuade the customer not to do it at 1K even if they want to. My personal experience.

Edit:: One thing which I do regularly is a general check up [five point check or something in Maruti terms] every 3K kilometers which include the air filter cleaning & fluid check / top up which cost 120/- for any car in MASS. This would ensure your car's breathing is fine. It can take a lot of dust in Bangalore within 3000 kms.
Yup! The Maruti recommended Oil change schedule has probably been changed. It is for kms - 1K, 10K and then every 10K thereafter. Did not opt for synthetic oil for 1K since thinking I'd change it at 5K again and then do a synthetic fill at 10K.

Another thing to be noted is that I was told by the Pratham guys that Delvac M1 or MX is not approved by Maruti! He mentioned some other brand's Synthetic oil.

Thanks Bluevolt and DryIce!

The thought of changing over to a D car occurred sometime in Feb. Even as I put up the VXi for sale and started making enquiries about booking, I got to know that the New Swift was around the corner. I asked all the B'lore dealers about an approximate timeline but no one knew it.

When I sold off my car for a good price and my dad sold his M800 for a good price around the same time - totally unplanned!...we were left be-car

I requested my cousin to get in touch with the GM sales, Delhi region, who said the New Swift might be released in June. This meant atleast a 4 month wait without a car at a time when we had to do some serious house hunting!

So, sold VXi and M800 in the first week on March, made two bookings on March 13th for a VDi and got the vehicle on April 14th. I was tempted to wait but couldn't afford to. Feel the decision turned out ok since the New Swift will be released on Aug 17th and from articles on web I gather there is already a 3-4 month waiting period with old bookings transferred and 25,000 new bookings!!!
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:33   #10
BHPian

Update on problems with MASS

Quote:
= After Sales Service - Has been an ok experience. Car came back from the second service with it's beard still in place(grown during the highway drive to Kollegal over scores of grain stacks placed on the highway by farmers). Called the Service incharge to tell him the same and he offered to wash it immediately.
I also noticed a couple of points where the plastic has chipped on the holder(?) where the music system will be installed. I haven't used it roughly so it should have happened at the Service centre. The Service GM has promised to have a look at it when I take it for a wash.
Wanted to set one thing right and ended up with another wrong.

Left early from office yesterday and went to the MASS center to get the car washed again and to show the minor damage to the GM. People were polite and asked me to wait while the car is washed and a spare is found for the damaged part.

I was asked to take all valuables from the car and I picked up my laptop while leaving my Toolkit, medicine kit, car perfume, car deo and a Bangalore Photography Club Pullover of mine that I love! The service incharge comes back after a few mins to give me small change I'd left in the car.

After a wait of an hour and a half I'm told that my car is ready. On reaching the car and looking around, find that my pullover is gone! The car perfume is also missing. A quick look around and the car perfume is found beneath the mat near the driver's seat. Bad.

The service incharge is flustered, searches around and half hour later is unable to find the pullover. Service incharge says he never saw it. Not surprising considering that it was almost the color of the seat. After a lot of searching and no hopes of finding it, I'm told today morning that I will be compensated for the loss. :(

My mistake: Should've informed the service incharge that I'm leaving those things in the car or should've just taken it from the car.

Their mistake: Should've ensured that the car is searched in front of the customer and stuff handed over before they accept it for wash/service.

Went to that particular MASS centre thinking that they would have a feeling of ownership since the car was sold by their firm. Guess things do not work that way
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:40   #11
BHPian

congrats DDIS and welcome onboard.
I suppose it was very well thought decision to buy Old Swift while we are expecting new one.
You have a long list for upgrades.
I would really wait for ICE and alloy wheels upgrades.
I personally like HR alloys. Would you prefer going for touchscreen 2 DIN stereo?

regards;
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
congrats DDIS and welcome onboard.
I suppose it was very well thought decision to buy Old Swift while we are expecting new one.
You have a long list for upgrades.
I would really wait for ICE and alloy wheels upgrades.
I personally like HR alloys. Would you prefer going for touchscreen 2 DIN stereo?

regards;
Thanks Nicky!

Long list it sure is and it'll be a long time before I have all of them!

Touchscreen 2 DIN?...Hmmm haven't thought along those lines yet!

I think I'll go with sunfilm first, then a stereo and then seat covers. Probably a green filter or a K&N sometime in between.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:30   #13
BHPian

Finally managed to shrug off inertia to get myself to the nearest car accessories shop and get some quotes for ICE installation within 15K. Posted a thread in the ASK THE GURUS section, but don't see it out yet. Waiting!

??? Still have my doubts on the grunt of the car between 60-80 kmph. It is not abnormally high, but is kind of irritating since the car is otherwise smooth comparitively in other range. Not sure if this is normal behaviour. The MASS guys says it is. He did not check anything though.

Can someone advice please?

--- Rats have bitten of the windshield wiper fluid connecting pipe...poured water thinking its empty and found it draining near the driver side! Have to get that fixed now.
Old 21st September 2011, 19:06   #14
BHPian

5 months and 8500kms. 8000 of them in city...phew!

Haven't yet got down to getting ICE installed. Budget fixed at 15K. Plan to get the following:

HU: Kenwood 449 or Pioneer 4390 - Rs. 5800
Front component speakers: Hertz DSG 165 - Rs. 5000
Rear oval speakers: Hertz DCX 690 - Rs. 3100
MDF Plank - Rs. 750
Installation charges - Rs. 350
Total Rs. 15000

Good deal? Any advice?

About the vehicle:

+ Satisfactory FE in the with most of the driving in horrible EC-Madiwala-Kmgla-Indiranagar route in peak hours. Consistently delivers around 16.5kmpl when driven with AC on all the while.

No -s so far. Touchwood.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Got the above combination installed barring one change. The HU is a Kenwood U4549SD for 7K with bill/2 year warranty.

Kenwood - KDC-U4549SD

System meets what I expect from ICE

Also, got sunfilm done.

Brand: GLOBAL (Ruby CH35)
Cost: 4K for 4 windows+rear glass
Specs:
Visibile light transmitted: 35%
UV protection: 99%
Solar energy Rejection: 58%

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks