Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 12:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Petrol tank capacity is 38L only, how is it you got 42L, verify next time while filling petrol. Try filling at Shell station and check the mileage.
Yes Im aware that the official capacity is 38L but it is possible to fill in extra fuel if the tank is almost empty with hardly 1-2L in the reserve left.
Here is a related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-autocut.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
1. I've faced the exact problem,i.e water leaking from the cabin light. Antenna as you said is the culprit here, next time you get it done make sure you make some proper gasketing.

In my case, I've fitted an aftermarket antenna so there is no fault of GM in this. Previously the car used to have a cap on the antenna hole with a gasket which never leaked water.

2. I CAN understand your problem. I've experienced it in my matiz. Let me help you, it is kind of noise coming from radiator with kind of "friction" sound added? It irritates me and makes the car "feel" sluggish. May be it's the thermostat which makes the radiator switch on unnecessarily or thick dust /bent fins of radiator and condenser preventing smooth air flow. Give them a check. I believe it's the thermostat though.

Regarding your mileage it's really really low. Do you get your car serviced as per correct intervals? Please take advice from your service adviser at Chevy Service.

The bonnet paint wouldn't suit the car IMO. Instead I'd recommend you this
Yes my car has always been serviced at the authorized service centres at the recommended intervals. But I travel 90% in city traffic and I do some really short trips too , so I guess that might be the reason for the low mileage. But i'll still get it checked at the next service

Yeah those eyelines look pretty cool on the car! I hope the visibility from the headlight bulbs won't get affected by that.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:12   #17
BHPian

Dear StrangeWizard, with ac 8-9kmpl is really low. I suppose you should get around 13kmpl minimum with AC. I used to get 8-9kmpl when the car had less than 300km in ODO. Now I get around 13 kmpl with AC 100% and 15 kmpl with AC~50%. On highway it gives between 18-19+kmpl.

Regarding fuel consumption during AC usage, I've noticed one thing that if you keep your RPM below ~1500 in any gear with AC on, the strain on the engine can be felt & it consumes more fuel. Above that car just flies and the feel of strain on engine almost vanishes.
Lucas_2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 21:41   #18
BHPian

Taking the car on its first real long drive! Mumbai-Shirdi tomorrow and Shirdi-Mumbai on Sunday. Im really excited!

Checked all the fluids, air pressure in all 5 tires, lights, wipers and filled her tank up!

Im still 19 and my friends think Im gone nuts
They told me to take a driver along!

Now Im going through a couple of mumbai-shirdi threads.
Will post pics on monday.

Cheers.
Old 12th August 2012, 00:33   #19
BHPian

Did Mumbai-Shirdi-Mumbai today!
Total distance covered 550 kms.

I filled in 43 litres and set off for the trip. Reached Shirdi at 280 kms and the fuel needle was at the 3/4th mark.
After reaching Mumbai the trip metre said 550 kms and the fuel needle is now at the 1/4th mark. I think this is pretty good considering I've never got more than 450kms on a tankful.
Throughout most of the journey I drove with a light foot and mostly cruising at 80km/hr in 5th gear.

Tomorrow I'll calculate the exact FE after filling up the tank again.
I'll also post a proper travelogue tomorrow.

Till then enjoy some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3622-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3623-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3624-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3625-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3626-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3629-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3630-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3631-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3633-medium.jpg  

Got my *pre-worshipped* Chevy Spark LS from Maruti True Value!-dscf3639-medium.jpg  

StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 21:46   #20
BHPian

Your car looks brilliant with those number plates. Do you have a K&N? Why are the rubber marks in the hatch area still visible? Please find some time and wipe it off using diesel. Looking forward for the FE figures.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 22:09   #21
BHPian

I have a Spark LT purchased in August 2011, the nvh volume goes terribly high at speeds over 80kph!
Is anyone else facing the same or a similar issue?
Old 25th August 2012, 22:23   #22
BHPian

Lol no I don't have k&n. And that sticker is also gone now
I debadged the car a few days back. It was quite easy as I just pulled off the badges with my hand. Those marks were visible even after I got a pressure wash done with diesel and then soap. But now I got them removed when I went to a sticker shop to get a "07" decal stuck on the side behind the rear doors. (Near the rear quarter on the space between the doors and the hatch)

Btw the Spark is highly INCOMPATIBLE with so many after market accessories.
The universal armrest which is available in the market didn't fit even after so much trying. I couldn't even fit an aftermarket exhaust tip because of the awkward placement on the stock silencer.

Now I want to get some nice but not too loud external modifications done to make it look good. Any suggestions?
Old 26th August 2012, 07:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
Lol no I don't have k&n. And that sticker is also gone now
I debadged the car a few days back. It was quite easy as I just pulled off the badges with my hand. Those marks were visible even after I got a pressure wash done with diesel and then soap. But now I got them removed when I went to a sticker shop to get a "07" decal stuck on the side behind the rear doors. (Near the rear quarter on the space between the doors and the hatch)

Btw the Spark is highly INCOMPATIBLE with so many after market accessories.
The universal armrest which is available in the market didn't fit even after so much trying. I couldn't even fit an aftermarket exhaust tip because of the awkward placement on the stock silencer.

Now I want to get some nice but not too loud external modifications done to make it look good. Any suggestions?
The Sparks looks good the way it is (stock). I believe that any external mods will ruin the look of the car, as the overall design may not take any mods well!
I suggest you get a nice pair of hid headlamps + led lights below the car (blue or white would look awsum since you have a black car!)
Old 26th August 2012, 08:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
The Sparks looks good the way it is (stock). I believe that any external mods will ruin the look of the car, as the overall design may not take any mods well!
I suggest you get a nice pair of hid headlamps + led lights below the car (blue or white would look awsum since you have a black car!)
No HIDs man. They are no good without projectors.
I recently upgraded the headlights because I felt they are really inadequate for highway drives after my recent 550 km drive.

Got Philips Rally 100/90 along with relay and I also put led bulbs for the front parking light. They are white in colour but don't offer much brightness.
I'll post some pics soon.

Maybe I might get eyelids done over the headlights.

Cheers.
Old 29th August 2012, 23:37   #25
BHPian

Got my car's alternator belt replaced to get rid of the irritating noise it made everytime.

Got the belt from an independent spare parts store for Rs. 120 and got it fitted from a mechanic for 200 bucks.

Now the sound is gone mostly and comes only occasionally when I start the car during rains with AC on and goes away after half a second or so.

Also, I want to add a bassy exhaust muffler! Any nice suggestions? I don't want anything too expensive.

Cheers.

EDIT: The original alternator belt was branded GM-Daewoo and the part/size number was 665. The one which I got is of japanese make mostly and the size number is 675. But it fitted properly without any issues.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 29th August 2012 at 23:38.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:50   #26
BHPian

My mom took the car and went to a relative's place. Now when they were returning, the car just wouldn't start.
I guess fuel was a bit low but still it would have lasted atleast 30 kms.
The car is still parked there and I'll go in the morning. I hope nothing major has happened.

*fingers crossed* The last time my car broke down in November 2011 at 11pm I had a terrible experience with the Chevy road-side assistance.

Here's the story :
I got the roadside assistance number from the service booklet and called it up.
I had to hear the "jab chale chevrolet sang chale rishte" song first for 2 mins and then the operator answered.
He: how may I help you ?
Me: well my car broke down right now and now its not starting.
He: okay, where exactly are you ?
Me: I'm here .... (Gave him the location)
He: okay so you're from Mumbai. I'll give you the nearest service centre's number. (And he gave me the workshop's number).

Then I called up the workshop. Someone answered after 2-3 calls.
Same conversation as above goes on.
Then the guy says he'll give me an SA's number and he'll assist me.

I called up the SA and he said he's attending to some other car at Bandra. I was at Borivali.
So now I call up the roadside helpline again.

Again the irritating song for 2 mins that somehow tries to assure the listeners that your Chevy won't give you any problems

Again the same operator answered. Again I explained him the whole thing.
He gave me some service manager's number and told me to call him.

I called him up and he answered my call. He was a very courteous guy but he said he left Chevrolet long ago and now works for Ford.

It is 11:30 pm now.

Called the helpline again.
"Jab chale Chevrolet, sang rishte chale" again for 2 minutes.
Again same operator answers. He gave me another guy's number. I called the guy but he didn't answer.

Now I lost my cool completely.

Called up my friendly independent mechanic who knows me very well because he always repaired my old M800.

He came in 10 minutes flat along with 1 more mechanic, diagnosed the problem(defective fuel pump), went to his garage again and came back by 11:50pm.
Fitted a new temporary fuel pump and tried to start my car. Nothing. Replaced it back with the old one. Sorted the problem after 5 mins.
Car started and I was home by 12:15am.

And the cause for all this hoolabaloo was a defective fuel indicator needle .

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 1st September 2012 at 22:56.
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:37   #27

Hello. When you go to check up the car, take a bottle of petrol with you as well & fill it before you try to crank it. If the car starts, it's possible that apart from the defective fuel gauge indication, the fuel system could be choked up, hence the problem of non-starting when less on fuel.

The fuel system cleaning would involve a through injector service with a machine, petrol tank & lines cleaning as well as replacement of the fuel filter.

I recently did this for my Chevy Optra & it purrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My mom took the car and went to a relative's place. Now when they were returning, the car just wouldn't start.
I guess fuel was a bit low but still it would have lasted atleast 30 kms.
The car is still parked there and I'll go in the morning. I hope nothing major has happened.

*fingers crossed* The last time my car broke down in November 2011 at 11pm I had a terrible experience with the Chevy road-side assistance.

Here's the story :
I got the roadside assistance number from the service booklet and called it up.
I had to hear the "jab chale chevrolet sang chale rishte" song first for 2 mins and then the operator answered.
He: how may I help you ?
Me: well my car broke down right now and now its not starting.
He: okay, where exactly are you ?
Me: I'm here .... (Gave him the location)
He: okay so you're from Mumbai. I'll give you the nearest service centre's number. (And he gave me the workshop's number).

Then I called up the workshop. Someone answered after 2-3 calls.
Same conversation as above goes on.
Then the guy says he'll give me an SA's number and he'll assist me.

I called up the SA and he said he's attending to some other car at Bandra. I was at Borivali.
So now I call up the roadside helpline again.

Again the irritating song for 2 mins that somehow tries to assure the listeners that your Chevy won't give you any problems

Again the same operator answered. Again I explained him the whole thing.
He gave me some service manager's number and told me to call him.

I called him up and he answered my call. He was a very courteous guy but he said he left Chevrolet long ago and now works for Ford.

It is 11:30 pm now.

Called the helpline again.
"Jab chale Chevrolet, sang rishte chale" again for 2 minutes.
Again same operator answers. He gave me another guy's number. I called the guy but he didn't answer.

Now I lost my cool completely.

Called up my friendly independent mechanic who knows me very well because he always repaired my old M800.

He came in 10 minutes flat along with 1 more mechanic, diagnosed the problem(defective fuel pump), went to his garage again and came back by 11:50pm.
Fitted a new temporary fuel pump and tried to start my car. Nothing. Replaced it back with the old one. Sorted the problem after 5 mins.
Car started and I was home by 12:15am.

And the cause for all this hoolabaloo was a defective fuel indicator needle .
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohannr View Post
Hello. When you go to check up the car, take a bottle of petrol with you as well & fill it before you try to crank it. If the car starts, it's possible that apart from the defective fuel gauge indication, the fuel system could be choked up, hence the problem of non-starting when less on fuel.

The fuel system cleaning would involve a through injector service with a machine, petrol tank & lines cleaning as well as replacement of the fuel filter.

I recently did this for my Chevy Optra & it purrs.
Hi thanks for your suggestion.
This is the first time my car is facing such a problem.

My mechanic checked the car properly. The crank sensor has gone kaput.
He'll give me a quote by tomorrow morning and I'll call up the Chevy A.S.S also to get a quote from them. I'll get it done tomorrow itself.

Any idea how much it costs?

Cheers.
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:43   #29

Absolutely no idea about it's cost. Please do let me know when you get the quote.

Also want to know if the starter was turning over or was there only a click sound?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hi thanks for your suggestion.
This is the first time my car is facing such a problem.

My mechanic checked the car properly. The crank sensor has gone kaput.
He'll give me a quote by tomorrow morning and I'll call up the Chevy A.S.S also to get a quote from them. I'll get it done tomorrow itself.

Any idea how much it costs?

Cheers.
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohannr View Post
Absolutely no idea about it's cost. Please do let me know when you get the quote.

Also want to know if the starter was turning over or was there only a click sound?

Cheers!
Yes the starter was turning properly and the crank sound was also coming. But nothing beyond that.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks