Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 13:11   #61

Re: Life starts at 75,000 KM Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi

Nice write up Ice...
I got myself a Skoda Octavia recently with about the same figures as you did...84k on the clock...2005 Rider. It was company owned, company maintained with an impeccable service history. Having driven an 2010 Indica Vista all this time, man, this was a fantastic experience. But I hope you would answer some questions of mine:
  • You mentioned your clutch was light...I found it a bit stressful. Is it just me or does the clutch need a bit of work?
  • The car definitely needs a bit of cosmetic work specifically with plastics cause they've aged and appear a bit whitish. Would you recommend I get it changed at a Bosch service center or at an A.S.S.?
TIA
Old 18th February 2013, 11:30   #62
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekvivek2001 View Post
Nice write up Ice...
I got myself a Skoda Octavia recently with about the same figures as you did...84k on the clock...2005 Rider. It was company owned, company maintained with an impeccable service history. Having driven an 2010 Indica Vista all this time, man, this was a fantastic experience. But I hope you would answer some questions of mine:
  • You mentioned your clutch was light...I found it a bit stressful. Is it just me or does the clutch need a bit of work?
  • Is it on the first clutch? If yes, then it probably needs replacement. I'd get a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion if I were you. If it's on the second clutch @ 84k, you should try and bleed it once.

Quote:
  • The car definitely needs a bit of cosmetic work specifically with plastics cause they've aged and appear a bit whitish. Would you recommend I get it changed at a Bosch service center or at an A.S.S.?
Quote:
TIA
If you're in Chennai, then Veeraraghavan at Bosch Kwikkfitt motors is a good choice. Refer to TN Skoda 4377.
Old 18th February 2013, 21:26   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Is it on the first clutch? If yes, then it probably needs replacement. I'd get a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion if I were you. If it's on the second clutch @ 84k, you should try and bleed it once.
I'm really not sure since I have had this car for only a week now. I'm Bangalore based and the car has been routinely serviced at Vinayak motors. So when you say a 2nd opinion, would it be acceptable to get it inspected at Lotus motors on Mysore road in front of BHEL (they're an authorized Bosch service center).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
If you're in Chennai, then Veeraraghavan at Bosch Kwikkfitt motors is a good choice. Refer to TN Skoda 4377.
Like I mentioned, Bangalore based...so any suggestions here?

OT:
Took the car on the highway for the first time...Bangalore -> Bellur cross -> Bangalore. Good lord does it come alive! Max speed of 160kmph and a fuel economy of 14kmpl at that speed, this car literally defies physics!
Old 19th February 2013, 17:37   #64
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
I'm really not sure since I have had this car for only a week now. I'm Bangalore based and the car has been routinely serviced at Vinayak motors. So when you say a 2nd opinion, would it be acceptable to get it inspected at Lotus motors on Mysore road in front of BHEL (they're an authorized Bosch service center).

Like I mentioned, Bangalore based...so any suggestions here?
Shivdas - South Motors - Lingarajapuram, or you can get Ganesh to come to your place. I will PM you their contact details.

Quote:
OT:
Took the car on the highway for the first time...Bangalore -> Bellur cross -> Bangalore. Good lord does it come alive! Max speed of 160kmph and a fuel economy of 14kmpl at that speed, this car literally defies physics!
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:08   #65

About 5 years ago, I decided to buy a used car and it taught me many valuable lessons regarding a used car ownership. Me and fellow BHPian Ashis89, went to test drive a few vehicles from a used car dealer in Hyderabad. I did not have a specific car in mind. This was my first car buying experience and I did not have any particular car in mind. I was ready to shortlist any car that was available in the shop and would fit my budget.

Choices:
Our initial choice was the Tata Safari Dicor because we were both fans of the car since our childhood and considered it our dream car then. Fantasies are always different from reality. When we drove the Safari, we realized that the car was extremely long and difficult to handle in the packed traffic. The brake and accelerator pedals were at an uneven height and the interior panels from the A and C pillars were missing.

Just as we got down from the Safari and turned around, my eyes caught a black Skoda Octavia L&K 19.TDI 2005 model. I was fixated and awed by the beauty of the car and immediately requested for test drive. The car was 13 years old when I took it for a test drive. The interiors were clean. There were no missing panels or torn\scratched parts. The electronics were in place and the car was easier to drive in heavy traffic when compared to the Safari. I made up my mind and decided to buy this car.

Features: Auto-levelling Xenon headlights (Also available in the VRS variants), heated seats, 6 CD changer, headlight washers, original leather seats, lumbar support in seats, adjustable head for all the four seats, cruise control, large boot space and comfortable driving position.

As mentioned earlier, I was a novice buyer, and these features took a front seat while making the decision to buy this car. What I missed to notice was the age of the car, the expensive maintenance cost of a German car, pending challans, car health inspection before buying – and these misses took a toll on my wallet during the course of ownership of the car.

I can vouch that the engine was the best in class. I used to do long distance trips from Hyderabad to Odisha and the engine never gave any trouble. The engine was powerful, the gear shifting was smooth and the ride was comfortable. I used to complete 18+ hours of journey without feeling much fatigue.

The other body parts which were prone to wear and tear, started showing signs of failure. These included the door and window control modules, Window pulley system, suspension, gear lever bearing, EGR, suspension, door seals, brake master cylinder and rattling noise from all over the body. Other costs that came up were due to the pending challans by the previous owner and registration renewal post completion of 15 years.
In addition to the excessive cost of spares and service, most of the parts were not available in the market due to the age of the car. I had to spend a lot of time in outsourcing the parts from various parts and those were usually used parts and came with no warranty. In addition to spending hefty sum of money, my peace of mind was also spent and after 5 years of ownership, I decided to sell the car.

Lessons learnt:
1. Just because the used car costs less, doesn’t mean the spares and service will be cheap.
2. Always have the car checked at the service center before buying the car.
3. Checking for pending challans
4. Checking for the availability of spares in your area
5. Functionality over unnecessary features. (I ever used the Heated seats due to the overall hot temperature of Hyderabad)
Despite all these misses, it was my first car and I miss it. 1st generation Skoda Octavia is a tank in a true sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Life starts at 75,000 KM Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi-oct1.jpg  

Life starts at 75,000 KM Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi-img_20200808_093734.jpg  

Allwynstanley is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks