Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2018, 14:33   #736
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

1,70,000 kms photoshoot -

Last weekend, I took the scooter out for an early morning ride and got some nice clicks at sunrise time. Was looking forward to another session, either with the Versys or the Punto - and since the Punto crossed the 1.7L milestone and was just back from service, picked up the keys for the car instead.

Presenting some pics of the good old Italian, whom I still love for the way she looks -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5881b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5886b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5880b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5892b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5897b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_5895b_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181110_084648_599.jpg

Edit: Noticed the post also brought up Page# 50 of the ownership report.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th November 2018 at 14:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 09:35   #737
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Some images of the beautiful sunrise i got to watch, while taking the above photos -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181110_163421_448.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-instimage1.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181111_180556_086.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181110_075310_094.jpg

The place is so close to home that I had taken the good old scooter the previous week to explore local roads! The scoot has completed 6 years as well, but the odo stands at 35k kms.


A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181103_154315_524.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181102_075632_566.jpg


Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th November 2018 at 09:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:34   #738
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 315
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

An impeccably maintained steed in excellent condition. Is there a benefit to changing the fuel filter more frequently than recommended? What was the condition like of a fuel filter used 15k vs 7.5k km? My car is 3.5 years old with 14k done. I asked the service station to check the condition of the fuel filter in the last 2 visits and they say nothing is to be done (petrol model fuel filter schedule is officially 80k/5 years I guess). Also, I don't remember seeing any schedule for changing power steering fluid- I guess I should get that done next time. What frequency do you get the wheel balancing and alignment done at and which all tyres have you used?
mxh is offline  
Old 13th November 2018, 22:51   #739
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
An impeccably maintained steed in excellent condition.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Is there a benefit to changing the fuel filter more frequently than recommended? What was the condition like of a fuel filter used 15k vs 7.5k km? My car is 3.5 years old with 14k done. I asked the service station to check the condition of the fuel filter in the last 2 visits and they say nothing is to be done (petrol model fuel filter schedule is officially 80k/5 years I guess).
Fuel filter replacement is included in every 15k service, for both petrol and diesel versions. I have been just getting it done whenever the service is performed, to avoid another visit by sticking to the 15k interval.

I cross checked the owners book and it mentions fuel filter replacement interval as 15k kms for the petrol too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Also, I don't remember seeing any schedule for changing power steering fluid- I guess I should get that done next time.
I would have changed every 60k kms, along with other fluid replacements like transmission oil, brake fluid etc - but Vecto Motors did a cheat by doing all these items at the 90k also. So, currently its been replaced at 60k, 90k and 150k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
What frequency do you get the wheel balancing and alignment done at and which all tyres have you used?
No regular intervals followed for balancing and alignment. Towards the intial life of the tyre, I've tried to follow 5k intervals slowly reducing it to 7.5k and finally 10k towards the end of the tyre.

This is my third set of tyres.
Goodyear GT3s - 50k kms.
Yokohama AVS DB - 48k kms.
Continental MC5 - 72k kms.

MC5 has definitely been the best of the lot when it comes to both tyre life as well as quality. Yokos were the worst, since they were excellent for the first 25k kms, and horrible towards the end of its life.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 00:10   #740
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 2,046 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

No regular intervals followed for balancing and alignment. Towards the intial life of the tyre, I've tried to follow 5k intervals slowly reducing it to 7.5k and finally 10k towards the end of the tyre.

This is my third set of tyres.
Goodyear GT3s - 50k kms.
Yokohama AVS DB - 48k kms.
Continental MC5 - 72k kms.

MC5 has definitely been the best of the lot when it comes to both tyre life as well as quality. Yokos were the worst, since they were excellent for the first 25k kms, and horrible towards the end of its life.
My experience with fiat siblings is that they hold alignment for a very long time. My linea's alignment never went off for long durations > 30k

I run Yoko AVS DB now, they are great tyres. MC5 are the best in terms of comfort and low road noise.

170 k and running strong
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 14th November 2018, 10:48   #741
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
My experience with fiat siblings is that they hold alignment for a very long time. My linea's alignment never went off for long durations > 30k
True that! Towards the second half of tyre life, I take things very casually when it comes to balancing and alignment - and never had issues except once! That too, just after balancing was done at a popular store in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I run Yoko AVS DB now, they are great tyres. MC5 are the best in terms of comfort and low road noise.
How many kms on these tyres?

Even I was very much impressed with the AVS DB initially. They felt just as good as the Michelin PLCs on KarthikK's Punto - but without the dreaded sidewall issues and at a much lesser price.

My issues with the tyre started once it crossed about 25 to 30k kms - Drastic change in character and started feeling very wooden and hard. Not just my mind playing tricks - because a few BHPians who used to come in the car at times confirmed the same feeling as well.

MC5 is doing much better even though it has clocked a lot more mileage. I wouldn't hesitate picking the Continental again - just that I want to try the Michelins up next.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 14th November 2018, 11:35   #742
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,746
Thanked: 1,661 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Congrats on the 170k milestone.

You would never go wrong with Michelin Primacy 3/4 ST. No sidewall issues. I am on my second set and have done 50k already.

Another great option would be MRF Perfinza. Recently got them on bro's Punto and they are as good Michelin on all counts but at a lesser budget.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 22:39   #743
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,873
Thanked: 5,949 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
MC5 is doing much better even though it has clocked a lot more mileage. I wouldn't hesitate picking the Continental again - just that I want to try the Michelins up next.
MC5 on my Linea is around 57K kms and still a life of around 6 to 8k kms. I have already finalized on Michelin Primacy 4ST for the next round. If Michelin's weren't around, I would have picked up the MC5 without blinking an eye.

Happy that 205/55 R16 is now available in 4ST. Damn 16 inchers burns a big hole in the wallet.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:25   #744
BHPian
 
gopikb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 506
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Congrats on your 170K milestone Crazy driver. I remember you had purchased the Punto around the same time as mine and going very strong after 9 years. My running is not as high as yours and have just completed 90K kms on my 1.3MJD.

With the confidence of people like you who have clocked more than lakh plus kms and going strong with a FIAT, I recently bought a preworshipped 2011 Linea Tjet from a fellow BHPian which has run 70K kms. Loving every moment of it and the T-jet is a different machine altogether. People have openly commented to my wife that your husband has gone mad investing on a 2nd FIAT. But the driving pleasure that the FIAT cars give is equaled only by a 20 lakh Skoda Octavia. I have driven the City, Ciaz, Duster, Innova etc over long drives. But none has come close to the satisfaction that the Fiat gives
gopikb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 00:22   #745
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

With the winter setting in properly this time around - taking the bike or scooter out for early morning explorations have become rather painful. So took the car out once again for a peaceful sunrise watch stroll, and here are some pics captured -


Not the most colourful twilight hues - but just the small hint of the impending sunrise.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181120_180017_063.jpg

Once twilight started clearing the fog cover over the lake, silhouettes of fisherman emerged from the darkness.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181118_105645_904.jpg

Mirror mirror!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181118_080826_843.jpg

Just a 30 mins drive away from home, but life here seems to follow its own slow pace.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181119_000715_525.jpg

Old, but still can strike a pose!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img_20181119_221736_860.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Another great option would be MRF Perfinza.
Next time around if god permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If Michelin's weren't around, I would have picked up the MC5 without blinking an eye.
Have to try out the Michelins no? We've avoided it for long - first with the Primary LC, then with the P3ST and now its finally the turn for P4ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I remember you had purchased the Punto around the same time as mine and going very strong after 9 years. My running is not as high as yours and have just completed 90K kms on my 1.3MJD.
Mine is a bit younger - 2012 make.

Congrats in advance for the 1L kms milestone. Should come up soon without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
But the driving pleasure that the FIAT cars give is equaled only by a 20 lakh Skoda Octavia.
But even 20L doesn't get us an Octavia these days! . Cars prices are going north so fast, that pre-worshipped decisions make all the more sense. Congrats on the Jet!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th November 2018 at 00:33.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 19:45   #746
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Ran into an issue.

Battery warning lamp came on today evening while I was out and barely managed to make it back home before the electricals died on me. By the time i got back home, horn was barely audible, lights were dim and ABS warning lamp had come on.

Should be the alternator? A weak battery shouldn't drain so fast if the alternator was working fine.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!-img20181209wa0061.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2018 at 19:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 9th December 2018, 20:30   #747
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,873
Thanked: 5,949 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ran into an issue.

Battery warning lamp came on today evening while I was out and barely managed to make it back home before the electricals died on me. By the time i got back home, horn was barely audible, lights were dim and ABS warning lamp had come on.

Should be the alternator? A weak battery shouldn't drain so fast if the alternator was working fine.
Check the Alternator and the Cable connecting the battery. Could be both or either of these.

Alternator costs 14,909 and Cables (postivie and negative) around 2000 bucks.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:42   #748
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,106
Thanked: 20,250 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Should be the alternator? A weak battery shouldn't drain so fast if the alternator was working fine.
These videos can be of help in finding the fault:



a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:44   #749
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,720
Thanked: 50,900 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Check the Alternator and the Cable connecting the battery. Could be both or either of these.

Alternator costs 14,909 and Cables (postivie and negative) around 2000 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
These videos can be of help in finding the fault:
Thanks guys. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the battery for charging overnight.

Another thing i noticed - rpm was slightly and noticeably higher than usual at around 1100rpm. Wondering if its the ECU trying to compensate for the detected battery drain, or if the alternator belt snapped or something reducing normal expected load.

Currently out of home again. Will go back and check these in the morning.

Thanks again.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:56   #750
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,873
Thanked: 5,949 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks guys. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the battery for charging overnight.

Another thing i noticed - rpm was slightly and noticeably higher than usual at around 1100rpm. Wondering if its the ECU trying to compensate for the detected battery drain, or if the alternator belt snapped or something reducing normal expected load.

Currently out of home again. Will go back and check these in the morning.

Thanks again.
Idling wont be stable and at the prescribed range if the Alternator is not feeding the required current. Diagnosis is key. Let me know if you need any help.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks