Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 20:37   #901
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Happy 10th!

The sale

This has been discussed for years, and as per my friends - was way overdue! But I've been hesitant to spend huge money over and above the resale of the Punto - to get much lesser incremental value in return. This was one car that surely knew how to punch above its class, in terms of the mechanicals.
Thank you sir for this amazing ownership thread.
This was the thread which pushed me to buy pre-owned 90HP Punto 3 years ago. Wishing that the new owner munches miles with this beauty and you find that perfect upgrade from this machine !!
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 22:02   #902
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:

Happy 10th!

Our Punto completed 10 years of ownership earlier in March. Gave the car for a proper exterior and interior cleaning session, also in preparation for what was in store next.
Cars like these are emotions. It's really tough to part with them. I know you have been considering parting with Turbokat for over a year now CrAzY dRiVeR, but I guess it still would have been a difficult moment for you to let her go.

A brilliant ownership experience comes to an end. Wish you another splendid ownership experience of a new and effulgent car!
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:25   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Happy 10th!

Our Punto completed 10 years of ownership earlier in March. Gave the car for a proper exterior and interior cleaning session, also in preparation for what was in store next.

[/ATTACH]
That’s a big update.

One of the very detailed ownership thread in team-bhp and an impeccably maintained car. Even after 10 years and 2L Kms, it looks spanking new. After such a wonderful experience, it is always difficult to let it go. Thanks for sharing and documenting all your experiences here and wishing you good luck for your next companion.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:21   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Within a couple of days, after I managed to arrange the NOC, he drove down and picked up the car.

I hope the car brings the same cheer to his family as it did to mine.
The curtains are down for one of the best and most elaborate ownership threads on the forum , the one which I followed so closely. The ownership had been one of the influencing threads during my Punto purchase. Hats off to you sir for the passion of maintaining the Fiat, one of the under rated cars of its times. I remember you mentioning about booking your next car with heart, waiting for the announcement eagerly.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:13   #905
Senior - BHPian

Oh curtains down on one of the most well known Puntos in the forum.
Hope your next purchase will keep you as satisfied as this one.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:09   #906

OK, probably turning a new chapter of car ownership. But you must have had a heavy heart seeing it go.

Your car is one well maintained and hard to believe is 10 year old. Hope it delights the new owner too. This thread has been a good reference on the ownership of Punto.

Have a 3+ year Evo with same colour and just reaching 14K on Odo. They feel more than a car and give some sense of attachment. Better half sometimes envies the attention given to it . While the itch is there sometimes to upgrade, difficult to narrow down on a vehicle that gives a similar delight. Atleast till 20 Lakhs I guess. Eagerly waiting to check the car you upgrade to. My guess is towards the Compass.
mikeautherton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 11:41   #907
BHPian

Such an immaculate car. I loved your thread. My Punto Pure bought in 2016 has completed 30k kilometers and is currently being driven by my sister. I love it to bits. I bought it just as the 75 bhp engine was getting discontinued and only the 90 bhp engines were available in the more expensive variants. Having driven both, i still loved the original 75 engine and booked it in the el-cheapo Pure model which was the only one available with this engine.

2 lakh kilometers is just wow. The lack of airbags does bother me but when i look at the build quality, i think it is a manageable compromise. My Aspire Sport has 2 airbags but i would not rate the car's safety higher than the Punto because of its relatively flimsy build quality. The Punto has no airbags but has such a fantastic build quality that the two cars sort of even themselves out. I have no scientific reasoning behind my opinions
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20220123wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 24th March 2022 at 12:03.
rahul4321 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:03   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Happy 10th!

What an emotional moment. Sad to see this epic thread and ownership coming to an end and happy that the car is going to someone who will be taking care of the car as you did.

This thread is a gold standard in how to do an ownership review and how to keep detailed reports of expenses

I hope your upgrade will prove equally faithful and pleasure to own and will reward you with countless smiles and memories.

Here is raising a toast to one of the best ever hatchbacks sold in India

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:31   #909
BHPian

We have been "planning" to sell our beloved 2010 Punto MJD Emotion for the last four years, especially since we always sell cars around the 8-year mark. However, we still haven't sold it mainly due to how well it drives even after all these years.

I take the car out once a month for a 100km drive just to analyze the decision of letting it go, and I have always been a happy man every time I get behind the wheel. This is probably the biggest reason why it's still with us. The car is also very reliable and wanted no major part replacements other than the wear and tear items.

I am also emotionally attached to it (since I learned to drive in it).
Alfaholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:39   #910
BHPian

Your thread evoked nostalgia for me as I too sold my Punto (exactly like yours)just in Jan this year after 10 years of ownership. An amazing car which never got its due just because FIAT could never get its act correct in India.
One thing from your narrative about the mileage intrigued me. An average of around 13 to 14 is way too less for a Punto. Which city did you drive it the most? My punto consistently gave me 17+ even in bumper to bumper bangalore traffic.
If given a chance, would not hesitate to buy a FIAT again provided the company makes a dramatic comeback.
Happy Driving.
Cheers
Krish
emmenhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 15:13   #911

Nostalgia. I am also sailing in same boat, My Punto sport (90HP) has completed 09+ years & I am trying to sell it now. It is very much difficult to find an alternate for this machine. If fiat is listening, they should launch Argo in India
prash27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 16:48   #912
BHPian

Your car has been one of the most immaculately maintained cars on this forum, and just looking at her, one wouldnt believe she has 10 years and 200k kms on her. The Punto is such a brilliant machine mechanically, that letting go of mine is proving to be one of the toughest decisions of my life. My 2009 Punto 1.4 is now closing in on 13 years and the odo reading is ~161k kms. In the last 6 months, she has been driven across the country from Bangalore to Pune to Ahmedabad to Jaipur to Delhi to Dehradun and to Shimla. Not once is the last 13 years has she ever broken down on me and she still drives like a dream.

Haven't got to the stage of selling the car yet, but when I do (sometime in the next couple of years), I know its going to be a hard hard decision. I hope your next ride does live up to the Punto, very curious to know which car is going to replace your Italian beauty? (Could help me decide my next purchase as well )

Last edited by abhii176 : 24th March 2022 at 16:50.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 18:06   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prash27 View Post
Nostalgia. I am also sailing in same boat, My Punto sport (90HP) has completed 09+ years & I am trying to sell it now. It is very much difficult to find an alternate for this machine. If fiat is listening, they should launch Argo in India
Argo isn't even a patch on Punto/Linea twins. Was reviewed not very well by critics and was no where as good to drive as the earlier earlier Fiat twins.

Besides no business case for FCA (now Stellantis) - their laid back attitude still continues. Jeep has just one mass market product in the premium category and rest all are niche products which hardly sell. This after being a half a decade in India. By now they should have had at least 2 products above( 7 seater) and below (Renegade) in India.

Been a preface lift Punto 90 HP owner since 2014 - EVO was launched a little while after I bought mine. There recently isn't a like to like replacement for Punto nor an upgrade unless we consider Skoda/VW costing almost 3 times the cost we bought out cars for.

I am keeping mine till I can scrap it. Plan to pick up something in a couple of years and Punto will continue to be the beater. But to be frank there are no VFM upgrades that I can think of. Compass top end is almost 5 times Punto's cost and Jeep never launched one below Compass. No other manufacturer is providing a good 4*4 within 20 L (except Thar which is more of lifestyle or 2nd vehicle in the garage)
Old 24th March 2022, 18:43   #914
BHPian

I just sold my 6-year-old Punto Evo 5 months back simply because I got a good offer on it and the Future of its maintenance was always a question, the car easily had another decade of life left in it. at 90K kms the Wolf remapped 75 Mjd was fresh and smooth, the body taut and squeak-free. There is simply no car that can replace the Punto even with all its fault in the same price range today. Even the commonly compared Polos are only better with their more powerful engines, in terms of sheer heft of build, handling, braking the Punto was unmatched. I replaced it with a S-Cross, apart from the Space its a downgrade in every sense.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 19:25   #915
BHPian

Drool! I had a white one too! It was the Active version. No creature comforts. Crap of a music system. BUT! A big one at that! The pure mechanical bliss is unmatched! Still miss it 5 years after selling away due to a medical distress! Blowing a few kisses to the beauty!!
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks