Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 14:06   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
After all this, even the updated stock map feels lousy now .
At the end of the day, all we need is 1.6L MJD. But it looks like this will never happen. So, anyone looking for a upgrade from 1.3MJD will have to look elsewhere.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:08   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
At the end of the day, all we need is 1.6L MJD. But it looks like this will never happen. So, anyone looking for a upgrade from 1.3MJD will have to look elsewhere.
1.6 MJD on the Linea will come only if you transplant one yourself. Fiat has no transplanting ideas as such Lets see what they replace the Linea with. Hope the 1.6 finally lands with the replacement car.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:17   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I always thought that RPM:Speed ratio remains the same even after the remap and its the time taken to reach those RPM/Speed will be quicker after remap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The ratios dont change and the RPM/Speed ratio remains the same. But how the car behaves to the throttle inputs differ vastly.
RPM: is Speed at the motor.
Speed: The one on the wheels.

What remap does is I think changes the Power/RPM curve (characteristics). Many also refer this by throttle response. How that RPM translates to wheel speed, I dont think is effected.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:18   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now this statement brings some interest in me for a remap. I always thought that RPM:Speed ratio remains the same even after the remap and its the time taken to reach those RPM/Speed will be quicker after remap.
You are right. Let me explain my point in a better way -

I drive and test drive cars in my normal driving style. I drove KP's car (Map 3) from near the airport to near hebbal. The highlight for me was that with similar accelerator inputs and ease of driving as compared to my driving style on the Punto, his Linea was managing 100 kmph on the speedo. The difference was quite evident once i switched to my car and noticed I was maintaining around 80 kmph. Yes, Linea was doing 2500rpm only.

In other words - 2500 rpm feels so effortless in Map3 as compared to 2000 rpm in my stock car. Even the RD box does this. You can see the rpms rising rapidly as compared to the stock map till it hits the turbo zone, but somehow this map felt like it just took a heavy Linea and reduced it into a light Swift.

Quote:
Congratulations on achieving another milestone

Had it happened after two days, even the date would have been 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Nice to see 6 digits on the odo! Keep munching

PS. I've clocked a little over 35000 after the remap and I'm loving it every single time on the highway!
Thanks. You're running on Code6 map right?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th January 2016 at 14:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 09:42   #515
Team-BHP Support

Timing Chain Replacement - 113500 kms.

Issues faced + Service Experience #19 - Timing Chain Replacement @ 113500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Timing chain replacement was due for 120k kms service, but given the fact that the old timing chain was prone to failure and the new design chain has been released - decided to prepone the change and go in for the new design. Big thanks to BHP'ian nkrishnap for updating me that the new design chain has been released.

The new chain has a service schedule of 90k kms instead of the earlier 60k kms, has better lubrication and is supposed to run quieter. Last time after the timing chain replacement - the engine did seem a bit rough till the next service, but did not observe that this time around. Engine feels normal.

Costs -

New timing Chain replacement at 113k (v/s old timing chain replacement at 60k). A significant increase in the last two years IMO.

1. Timing Chain - Rs 2490/- (Rs 890/-)
2. Replacement Timing Chain Labor Costs - Rs 4063/- (Rs 3370/-)
3. Chain Stretcher - Rs 1628/- (Rs 1497/-)
4. Pad - Rs 218/- (Rs 208/-)
5. Pad - Rs 209/- (Rs 199/-)
6. Sealing Gasket - Rs 368/- (Rs 350/-) & Rs 1257/- (Rs 1197/-)
7. Sealer - Rs 760/- (Rs 458/-)

8. Water Pump (Replaced as the stock one seemed at the end of its life) - Rs 3350/-
9. Consumables - Rs 150/-

Auto Expo 2016

Felt like selling the car off and running away from FIAT after seeing the pathetic show from FIAT this year. Thankfully, sanity prevailed after a nice little drive on NICE road yesterday reminding me how the competition can't come close to the driving experience offered by this little FIAT. The S-Cross 1.6 or the Polo GT may be, but then - the incremental value offered by these cars would be too less compared to the huge premium I would need to pay.

Let's see how long the Punto continues to run without troubles. With the timing chain sorted till around the 200k mark - the next major replacement looks to be the clutch which seems going strong as of now.

PS - In a conversation with Mr. Channabasappa of Vecto Motors - he seemed genuinely surprised that the car is still running the stock clutch after 113k kms. Hope this run of good luck continues.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 10:05   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Timing Chain Replacement - 113500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Last time after the timing chain replacement - the engine did seem a bit rough till the next service, but did not observe that this time around. Engine feels normal.
Even I faced the same experience after my timing chain replacement. I felt the difference after the first Oil change only.

Quote:
Felt like selling the car off and running away from FIAT after seeing the pathetic show from FIAT this year.
Very true. No proper upgrade options within Fiat, for people who want to move on from Punto 90HP or Linea MJD.

Quote:
the next major replacement looks to be the clutch which seems going strong as of now.
Awesome!
Old 7th February 2016, 11:25   #517
Team-BHP Support

Service Costs excluding tyres, alignment, detailing etc. Not bad IMO, considering I do more services than the recommended schedule.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-sc.jpg

Quote:
Even I faced the same experience after my timing chain replacement. I felt the difference after the first Oil change only.
I don't feel this with the new chain though. Hopefully, it gets even quieter after the next service at 120k.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th February 2016 at 11:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 11:53   #518
BHPian

Hi Crazydriver, nicely documented ownership report there. I too own a Punto 1.3 mjd 75ps and like all fiatians I am thoroughly enjoying this great little car. I have clocked 112k with one timing chain replacement at around 80k. This new design in the timing chain common to both the versions i.e 75 and 90 hp? Next service at 120k, which includes alternator belt replacement.
My car too running on stock clutch and suspension. Touchwood

Last edited by CarMaster : 9th February 2016 at 11:55.
CarMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 14:54   #519
Team-BHP Support

Time to renew the insurance once again- Went with 0 depreciation policy only with Royal Sundaram.

The premium came to a little above 13k. Figured out it's too much for a car entering its 5th year, but the IDV value is around 4.85L which was way above what others offered for comprehensive. No one else seemed to offer 0 depreciation policies this year. Royal Sundaram has it till the 6th year for existing customers.

Took 0 dep because I figured I'm fully dependant on that in case something goes wrong. No savings to spend from the pocket in case something goes terribly wrong.

For comprehensive there were offers as low as with 3k premium. For those having backup money to cover them in case of issues, that makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
This new design in the timing chain common to both the versions i.e 75 and 90 hp?

My car too running on stock clutch and suspension. Touchwood
I believe the new chain is only for the 90hp. 75hp never had any reported issues with the timing chain anyways.

Glad to know someone else is also running the stock clutch post the 110k milestone. Hopefully, it does a lot more kms for both of us.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 22:15   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Need to check it in detail. The issue was with odometer flashing, which didn't disappear on its this time. Disconnecting battery terminals didn't help either.

Fiat service did not perform detailed check yet. Seemed like the usual replacement (instead of repair) advice that advisors are trained to give. Hence asked them to cancel that work till I confirm. Will check it next weekend.
Hi @CrAzY dRiVeR, I also had the blue & me unit not responding. I had gone for service to Vecto Motors today. Mine is a 1.4 Emotion Pk 2009 model. Morning I left the vehicle for service at 10 a.m and later 3 p.m the service guy calls up and says that the ODO is flashing and Blue & Me is not working. I go back assuming that its some niggle, usually we have the no media found issue often. Now when I checked at the service center they say they didnot do anything it all dead now. I am not entirely convinced thou, it worked nicely for last 6.3 years and now today how can it suddenly stop working. The service was done. And they told me the same story that only option is replacement and they dont have that part. And it would cost 13k or so.

Any advice on this please?
Old 7th March 2016, 11:28   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi @CrAzY dRiVeR, I also had the blue & me unit not responding. I had gone for service to Vecto Motors today. Mine is a 1.4 Emotion Pk 2009 model. Morning I left the vehicle for service at 10 a.m and later 3 p.m the service guy calls up and says that the ODO is flashing and Blue & Me is not working. I go back assuming that its some niggle, usually we have the no media found issue often. Now when I checked at the service center they say they didnot do anything it all dead now. I am not entirely convinced thou, it worked nicely for last 6.3 years and now today how can it suddenly stop working. The service was done. And they told me the same story that only option is replacement and they dont have that part. And it would cost 13k or so.

Any advice on this please?
Weird. I just went back to check my post. And the post on blue&me issue came just one day after taking the car for service at Vecto. However, I dont remember when and how the issue started now. My memory fails me!

Just a co-incidence? I didn't pursue it much since I was in half a mood to get it changed anyways. You could try the below pointers, as was suggested by other members earlier in this thread. If you had the cabin air filter replaced during service, usually they do it through the glove box area if i remember right. Might be some connecting issues with the blue&me set then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've read of one case where taking out the dysfunctional B&M unit and cleaning it made it start working.

If the circuitry on the board is damaged , taking it to a computer shop may help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi there,
I've had similar issues with Blue & Me, and could not get it to work, despite hooking it up to the scanner for a reset (that should be the first thing you try), as well as showing it to very skilled electricians here in Delhi. It's a very complicated piece of machinery.

What I did understand was that fiat issued a rather silent recall for a rubber strip to be added above the box so that it would not be affected by moisture from the air conditioner. My electrician had informed me that damage was linked to moisture.

I wrote an email to FIAT stating that this strip had not been added to my car, and they replaced the product FOC in a four year old car. Please see if your case is similar. Otherwise too, in earlier exchanges, they were willing to grant a 50% discount since I argued that the product witnessed no wear and tear.

Of course, the car was then under extended warranty.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 14:30   #522
BHPian

Thanks ! for the suggestions.
I already tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins and it didn't work, I will try next to check the connections again.

Is the B&M unit removable from glove compartment, I am hoping I should be able to do it myself. Mine is out of extended warranty already.

Worst case scenario, will have to rethink if at all will get it replaced at all or not. But does the blinking ODO stop if the unit is removed altogether?
Old 19th March 2016, 00:54   #523
Team-BHP Support

Happy Birthday (Belated)...

My Punto 90hp turned 4 years old on the 11th, but couldn't even take a pic as I was going through a low phase at that point. The odo reading crossed 1.15L kms on the day though.

First year 30k, second year 60k, third year 87k and fourth year 115k kms. The trend has been pretty consistent. Hoping to spend more time with the car next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
But does the blinking ODO stop if the unit is removed altogether?
It keeps blinking. Doesn't bother me at all though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 09:50   #524
Team-BHP Support

Had a good road trip over the extended weekend covering a good 1650 kms. Started off as a Bangalore <> Tiruchendur trip, ended up as a Bangalore- Tuticorin- Trivandrum- Bangalore drive.

The return leg was almost 750 kms non stop from Trivandrum to Bangalore with only one 10 mins stop at the Madurai BP CoCo outlet. Maintained 100 kmph throughout like I was on automated manual cruise control or something and was fresh enough to attend 9 hours regular office work after the drive!

Every time I got out on a long drive, I fall in love once again with the ride and handling and the high speed behaviour of the Punto. Absolutely love the lower back support too, which allows me to take long drives without any breaks. Got to love the ride quality because wife slept off at Tirunelveli and woke up in Bangalore near MG Road, as if she was traveling in a sleeper class Volvo or something. Needless to say, a quiet peaceful 12 hours drive for me.

I do miss cruise control (Have a sore right leg to remind me), good under thigh support (not a deal breaker but not sure how it would be as the body gets older) and an arm rest on either sides (The one on the right side door pad is useless!). I believe none of these improvements are present in the new Evo as well. FIAT!

Odo now stands close to 118.5k kms. With the service interval nearing, wondering if I should be getting the EGR cleaned as well since its never been done till date.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 10:07   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

I recommend you get the EGR, Intake Manifold, Inter-cooler and all turbo hoses cleaned. It makes a difference. But get it done at a place where they know the job. Newbies can screw up the heat exchanger while removing the EGR Valve.

Looking forward to see the amount of gunk in the Intake manifold.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks