Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 16:43   #16
BHPian

re: Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms

Many congratulations on a beautiful car!!

On a different note, I was recently in the market for a new civic - I had a similar show-room experience with the sales team - they were not being courteous, making it seem like giving a TD would be a favor, not returning calls etc.

This blew my mind - for a car which sells 50 units per month now, if ANYONE wants to come in and buy one, I would have thought that the sales team would go head-over-heels to try and make that sale. I guess not.

My experience was a month-ish ago in NCR. Maybe it was also a one-off case, but it seems like theres some motivation training that Honda needs to do!!!
torquing_points is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 10:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Congratulations on your Brio, from one Proud owner to another. PM me the Yoko pricing too.. You got a damn decent deal from 3m for the under body coating and protective films. I was charged 5k by HASS for the underbody coating only.

Regarding the dealership, I believe it may be a one off case, as HASS generally treats their customers mighty well. Still a call to Honda one-on-one can put some pressure on 'em.
I think so too. I got a Jazz from Magnum Honda as well. They got me a TD car to my place within 30 mins of me placing a call to them asking for price and they were very courteous as well when i visited the showroom.

and i got underbody coating from HASS for 3.5K its a good deal you got there!!
Old 17th July 2012, 10:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dealt with 2 honda dealerships while finalizing the new City - South End at Saket and Ace at Noida. Coming fresh out after my experience with the Skoda guys i was stunned with the treatment i got from Honda , especially Ace Honda. I eventually bought the car from Southend owing to delivery times but the next time i am in the market these 2 guys would be my top choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post

My experience was a month-ish ago in NCR. Maybe it was also a one-off case, but it seems like theres some motivation training that Honda needs to do!!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 11:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I dealt with 2 honda dealerships while finalizing the new City - South End at Saket and Ace at Noida. Coming fresh out after my experience with the Skoda guys i was stunned with the treatment i got from Honda , especially Ace Honda. I eventually bought the car from Southend owing to delivery times but the next time i am in the market these 2 guys would be my top choice!

Having experience with dealers of Toyota, Skoda, VW, Honda, Chevy, MB and Mitsubishi, I can say Honda ranks among the top few, even after my last experience. Skoda ranks dead last with no competition (Silvertone for the Octy and Giriraj for the Superb - both were horrible). When I bought my Superb, I couldnt help the feeling of hard-sell. I felt almost guilty that I wasnt agreeing to buy it right away - finally was pressurized to sign. The experience with Honda was nothing like this.

Not fair to compare Honda to Skoda! I'm comparing Honda today to Honda 2 years ago.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Total fair and in agreement , i was comparing , gerically , the difference between the people working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Having experience with dealers of Toyota, Skoda, VW, Honda, Chevy, MB and Mitsubishi, I can say Honda ranks among the top few, even after my last experience. Skoda ranks dead last with no competition (Silvertone for the Octy and Giriraj for the Superb - both were horrible). When I bought my Superb, I couldnt help the feeling of hard-sell. I felt almost guilty that I wasnt agreeing to buy it right away - finally was pressurized to sign. The experience with Honda was nothing like this.

Not fair to compare Honda to Skoda! I'm comparing Honda today to Honda 2 years ago.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:03   #21
BANNED

Congratulations on a lovely car. I always say that the service ultimately boils down to the monkey on the ground.

One small query - is there a parcel shelf or is it there as an option. I am in the market for the Brio AT expected in the festive season to replace my Santro.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One small query - is there a parcel shelf or is it there as an option.
The parcel tray is available in S / S (O) and V trims as standard accessory. Not too sure if its standard in the E trim.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 16:32   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase GPA. I have a Brio SMT and your mileage figures are quite comparable to what I am getting. And yes, even I expect the mileage to go up after 2nd service/oil change. However, initially I was getting a very low mileage (9.5-10) and on sending the car to Honda service, they did something called "Idle run procedure" which was recommended by Honda to sort out mileage issues. So if you get concerned with mileage then it might be worth checking if its done on your car as well.
rony180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 22:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
In terms of the dealer experience at the time of delivery of the car, the Hyundai experience was top-notch. The car was shining and squeaky clean at the time of delivery.

In terms of acknowledging a customer's presence, H.A.S.S were far ahead of what I experienced at H.A.S.S. One of the reasons I switched brand loyalties was because of the increasing costs of Periodic Maintenance Services at H.A.S.S
An excellent account of your ownership experience, which, unfortunately, was marred by "the monkeys on the ground", as mentioned in an earlier post.

I would have imagined that people at H.A.S.S would have gone that extra mile to lure loyal customers from Maruti/Hyundai. In your case, they did go that extra distance -- and rammed your car in the workshop!

Instead of polishing your bruised car, they should have first polished your bruised ego and should have ensured that the bitter memories were erased when you left the showroom. Of course, they can't really undo the damage over the shoddy incident, but H.A.S.S could, at least, have offered you some freebies or some discount perhaps, as a way of expressing its regret.

Thankfully, they restored your car to its original glory and it is good that the Brio is delivering to your expectations.

As an owner of a Hyundai car, it's always sad to see a member leave the family. But when a member enters into another highly reputed and capable family, I can only wish you every success and pleasant experiences of the Brio.

In any case, it is high time that Hyundai (and other manufacturers as well) learns the value of its customers and takes proactive steps to prevent the exodus.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony180 View Post
Congrats on your purchase GPA. I have a Brio SMT and your mileage figures are quite comparable to what I am getting. And yes, even I expect the mileage to go up after 2nd service/oil change. However, initially I was getting a very low mileage (9.5-10) and on sending the car to Honda service, they did something called "Idle run procedure" which was recommended by Honda to sort out mileage issues. So if you get concerned with mileage then it might be worth checking if its done on your car as well.
Rony I got an average of 8 today, point being it was choc-o-bloc traffic with 100% AC usage, and hard acceleration and braking. Heck, i was just trying the worst i would get. All the brio needs it to be kept in that ECO zone. Try upshifting early and feather the throttle, you should be able get 14+ easily
Old 17th July 2012, 23:34   #26
BHPian

Thanks GPA for this thread.

I have been planning for a Car for quite some time. Being a car freak from the days I could draw some straight lines and curves in my crayon it’s been a Car on the paper.
Car became more of a need than a desire since we moved to a place serene and isolated.

My criteria were much similar to many of the middle class family needs could list out with a very strict budget constraint.
The budget I had set was 5.5 lakhs (OTR). I decided against considering a diesel car for the meager number of miles it is going to add month over month.
Choices were many and pampering - i10, Swift, Ritz, Beat, Figo, Micra and off course the Brio.
One of the main acceptance criteria I had in mind are safety features which I did not find in any of the above cars for the budget I had set (Beat might be an exception).

So I took a friend mine with me for a test drive and there I fell in love and it loved me back.
I did some research on internet on the specs of the car, advantages/disadvantages the car comes with. I consulted few of the Brio owners (some to-be) on it and feedback was mostly positive. So I sealed my decision on it.

I took my father to Peninsular Honda Showroom in Mangalore and he had a ride in it and he liked what it offered for the bucks. I ensured that he experiences Maruti and Hyundai products in this segment on the same day. He liked Brio, we all in the family too.
So I went ahead and made a booking for Brio SMT (o) -Red at Peninsular Honda, Mangalore.

As I was planning to register the car in Kasargod, Kerala (Mangalore, Karnataka is the nearest town where Honda showroom is located) as most of my driving would happen on Kerala roads. After I paid the booking amount, I was really surprised by the callous response and shift in the tone of sales executive who was handling the case. He was talking with me as if he is doing favor by selling a car and lousy responses really turned me off so I decided to cancel the booking. I called him up and told him my decision and asked for refund, he was reluctant about cancellation; gave me an hour long lecture on world economy, fuel policy and what not. I was firm on my decision.

I went ahead and called up Signature Honda, Kannur (remember it’s around 160 Kms from my home against Mangalore which is 40 km away). I spoke with Sales manager, who was very professional in his all interactions I had with him. He was always available whenever I needed him for a query or a request. I interacted with various people who work in various aspects of car purchase (finance, accessory etc.) and all were very really professional, cordial and took really good care of my needs as a customer.

I approached SBI branch in Kasargod and to my surprise the manager there was very helpful and she did everything possible to make sure the sanction process goes without hurdles.

We decided to take the delivery on June 22. A week prior to that i did a PDI and things seemed alright, the staff there were really taken back when a customer made PDI request but they arranged one with all courtesy ( they sent a Civic to pick me up and drove me all the way to their stockyard!). Sales executive was so glad when I explained him the way to decode VIN numbers!

On 22nd morning, when i arrived at showroom with my father and brother, Car was ready with all gleam and shine. I did another round of inspection and found all is well.
They had arranged a driver just in case we need as it rained very heavily that day and we had almost 160 km drive ahead.

That day eve did puja for the car and been driving it since then. Car is a real head turner being rare on road and enjoying all the attention it is grabbing!

Now odo has around 450 clocked in it, I have been able to extract 15~16 kmpl so far. I have driven on some of the really bad roads and ride has not given any jolts as such. On good roads it really puts up a good show.

I really wish car gets auto locked while it rolls on (how hard could that be?) and rear seat had proper head rests. Sometimes I had discontent with Horn as well.
While driving on loose gravel road due to lack of cladding around wheel area it makes un easy sounds as they hit metal surface.
A/c works well and chills the cabin in few minutes. Music system is decent (for the kind of music I listen to) with its balanced performance on low and high frequency sounds.

Large glass hatch has given a way better rear view when compared with many other hatches in its class. Quality of plastics used is way above than some of the cars i have seen. (As Hammond puts it in TopGear, The last time I saw plastic like this it contained Tic-Tacs).

The accessories i got along were mats, seat covers and a plastic protector for boot area. On road, it cost me nearly 5.4 lakhs (with discount + offers) and I met all the needs with which I went out hunting.

Few pics below, I will be happy to answer any query about it. I will keep you posted with updates.

Last but not least, I would like to thank each and every one on this forum who helped me to make an educated decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000183.jpg  

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000181.jpg  

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000182.jpg  

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000198.jpg  

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000195.jpg  

Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-wp_000189.jpg  

Thilak29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 11:20   #27
BHPian

On the issue of dealerships

guess i have said this in some other thread as well, I myself wanted to buy a Brio back in March, even when he sales had not picked up, and went to honda showroom for a first look.
The sales agent did not even give me a test drive!!!!! Flatly said that they do not have test drive options for Brio!!!
That was the end of my Brio aspirations.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 12:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Rony I got an average of 8 today, point being it was choc-o-bloc traffic with 100% AC usage, and hard acceleration and braking. Heck, i was just trying the worst i would get. All the brio needs it to be kept in that ECO zone. Try upshifting early and feather the throttle, you should be able get 14+ easily
Even I try keeping it in the Eco mode and shift appropriately. But I have not been able to get 14 in city. The maximum I have got is 12.5. I drive with 75% AC and switch off the ignition and a/c whenever in a traffic signal to save fuel. Also its 50% congested traffic with the the rest being semi-open roads where i drive at 60+ in 5th gear. What type pressure do you maintain? 26/26 as recommended by Honda or something higher?

Also I have seen a marked difference between the electronic mileage indicator and the full tank-full tank mileage. When the display showed 13.1 for the entire trip of 400+ kms in city, full tank calculation gave me 12.3. Do you get such differences?
Old 18th July 2012, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Thanks GPA for this thread.

I have been planning for a Car for quite some time. Being a car freak from the days I could draw some straight lines and curves in my crayon it’s been a Car on the paper.
Congratulations and welcome to the Family bro.

Even my neighbour got a Urban Titanium Brio a few days back, so My Brio has company in the parking lot

GPA - If you dont mind, can we merge My brio thread with yours, creating a single Ownership thread for the Brio?

Off topic: do checkout this Documentary about UKDM hondas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony180 View Post
Even I try keeping it in the Eco mode and shift appropriately. But I have not been able to get 14 in city. The maximum I have got is 12.5. I drive with 75% AC and switch off the ignition and a/c whenever in a traffic signal to save fuel. Also its 50% congested traffic with the the rest being semi-open roads where i drive at 60+ in 5th gear. What type pressure do you maintain? 26/26 as recommended by Honda or something higher?

Also I have seen a marked difference between the electronic mileage indicator and the full tank-full tank mileage. When the display showed 13.1 for the entire trip of 400+ kms in city, full tank calculation gave me 12.3. Do you get such differences?
Rony, I forgot to tell you one more thing, I tend to Coast in between downshifts, whenever i am slowing down, and I switch to 5th as low as 40+.

The difference between the electronic and tankfull-tankfull method has been about .2 km/l( the electronic one giving me a lower average.)

Honda recomends 29/26 and I fill Nitrogen in my tyres.

Last edited by adityasiera : 18th July 2012 at 17:01.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 20:00   #30
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPA - If you dont mind, can we merge My brio thread with yours, creating a single Ownership thread for the Brio?
Thanks, for the wishes mate. I think each ownership thread is unique to a user and will have to be kept separate.

Quote:
Rony, I forgot to tell you one more thing, I tend to Coast in between downshifts, whenever i am slowing down, and I switch to 5th as low as 40+.The difference between the electronic and tankfull-tankfull method has been about .2 km/l( the electronic one giving me a lower average.)
When you say coasting between downshift, do you mean shifting to neutral or coast till the lowest recommended speed for that gear and then downshift?

I use the tankful-tankful method as well but in my case the mileage indicator readout is higher than the actual figure by 1 km. E.g. If the tankful-tankful method indicates I got an overall FE of 14.2 kmpl, the mileage indicator in the instrument cluster indicates 15.2 kmpl.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks