Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 20:06   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

• Replace Engine Oil (customer provided)
  • Replace Oil Filter (customer provided)
  • Replace Gear oil (customer provided)
Would like to hear about your experience post fluid change. Any difference felt??

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 1st September 2017 at 20:07.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 20:21   #92
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Would like to hear about your experience post fluid change. Any difference felt?
Well, I've covered ~2k kms since the engine oil changes and the difference is great. The engine revs to ~2,100 RPM on a cold start when earlier it used to rev to ~1850 RPM. The engine is definitely more silent and free revving and once the VTEC mode kicks in ~3,000 RPM, the car sures forward. Overtaking on the highway is easier and the engine doesn't feel strained one bit when cruising at 90-100 kmph.
While it is still early days, I do hope the performance of the oil continues until the 10k kms mark when I need to do the next change.

With the gearoil additive and gearoil change, the difference is remarkable! There was a slight notchiness in the shifts especially when cold but that has smoothened out completely. In stop-and-go traffic, there is no stickiness that creeps in and coming to a dead stop when crawling and then shifting again to first gear has become smooooth.

Thank you, Shashi for your reviews which reinforced my decision to go with products from the Liqui Moly brand.
gpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 21:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
2016 Updates

6th service update at 29914 kms
  • 30k paid service: INR 1437
  • Engine Oil (3.6 L): INR 1180 (Idemitsu, Mineral 5W30)
  • Oil sump drain plug: INR 21
  • Oil filter: INR 156
  • Windscreen washer fluid: INR 50
  • Air filter: INR 469
  • A/c blower motor cleaning: INR 172
  • Blade Fuses (10A, 15A & 20A): INR 137
  • Labor to replace air filter: INR 56
Total: INR 3678
Quote:
I hope you are not putting more than 3L of oil, check the user manual. Gear oil is ~1.5L.
Excess oil is bad for the engine/transmission.

I recommend you to buy this oil for Brio, use this once and you will not turn back. (do save 500ml as this pack is 3.5L)

Also please avoid 5w40 and stick to 5w30. 40 is simply not the right oil for this engine, even the user manual does not recommend it.

Last edited by aerohit : 26th October 2017 at 21:31.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 17:10   #94
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I hope you are not putting more than 3L of oil, check the user manual.
I checked the user manual and it mentions that the total capacity is 3.8L.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-eoil-capacity.jpg
With a filter change, the manual calls out 3.2L (excluding the oil remaining in the engine). Right from the first service 3.6L is the quantity used. When I got the Liqui Moly can back (4L) there is ~500ml left over.

I checked the level on the dipstick today and below is the level.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-eoil-dipstick-level.jpg
As indicated, the oil level is at the max level (+1mm) which shows that it okay.

Quote:
Gear oil is ~1.5L.
Gear oil is 1.6L as mentioned in the manual.
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-goil-capacity.jpg
I still have a little less half a bottle of the gear oil left from the change.

Quote:
Excess oil is bad for the engine/transmission.
here. As it has been discussed on this thread a few mm above the max line is not going to cause harm. The min-max levels are indicated for a reason so it is best we adhere to it.

Quote:
I recommend you to buy this oil for Brio, use this once and you will not turn back. (do save 500ml as this pack is 3.5L)
I am not sure of this brand since there are no reviews available as well. However, I did read about the company at this link and did browse through their product line. Have you been using this oil? Please do share if your experience, if you have used this oil.

Quote:
Also please avoid 5w40 and stick to 5w30. 40 is simply not the right oil for this engine, even the user manual does not recommend it.
Idemitsu 5W30 grade mineral oil is used by Honda. A shift to 5W30 or 5W40 is not a problem. The ‘5’ in both oils represents the same viscosity when the engine is cold (startup temperature), but in case of 5W30, '30’ represents a lower viscosity when the engine is operating at high temperatures as compared 5W40, which has a higher viscosity in harsh high ambient temperatures. It has been over 4000 kms of driving since my switch to Liqui Moly 5W40 and the engine performs just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio SMT (O) - Ownership Review, 5 years and 40,000 kms-eoil-grade.jpg  

Last edited by gpa : 29th October 2017 at 17:28.
gpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 13:21   #95
BHPian

Guys I just sold my 2013 SMT Brio. Surprisingly, the baby had an excellent resale value and was very popular amongst people who have daily commute in areas with huge traffic conditions. The Honda engine is clearly a winner amongst all the vehicles in its competition. Many people were very pleasantly surprised by the drive and the smoothness of the engine. Only the boot space was a point of bother, but with some serious buyers, it was a good trade off with the ease of drive.
abhisheknandan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:14   #96
BHPian

Hi Gpa,

Glad to see your Brio doing well.

Once you replaced the transmission fluid , was clutch bleeding done?

To be honest with you I have never like the gear shift pattern on the Honda Brio.
Of course it's another matter that I finished 1 lakh km on the car.

Kindly advise!
Old 12th October 2021, 12:07   #97
BHPian

I got my 2014 Brio AT's (50k kms) suspension overhauled. All the struts were replaced along with new lower arms and other related bushes using OEM parts.

I always found the rear struts inefficient and in my case they were replaced twice under a recall in 2015.

Unfortunately, even after replacing the rear dampers with new ones, its still the same. The front feel, however, has improved and feels better as against the worn out McPhersons

I did try searching for aftermarket struts and dampers but couldn't find anything. I also got the brake pads replaced and changed all fluids (AT fluid, brake hydraulic fluid and coolant). I avoid using the Idemitsu synth oil supplied by Honda Service and stick to the tried and trusted Mobil1 0w40

I still love the Brio and plan to use it for a couple of more years but honestly the poor quality suspension parts sold by Honda has put me off. Might search for better struts.
Old 21st November 2023, 16:21   #98
BHPian

Hey,

Does anyone have a copy of the manual? Took apart my fuse box today to find no cover or frankly, any guide on which fuse does what. My knees now regret the effort.

Thanks again.
P. S. Just the fuse box cover will do, which says what fuse does whatever? Specifically looking for the 12V accessory socket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks