Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!

Hello all,

I have been a silent spectator of the forum, enjoying helpful comments, and pinning in my 2 cents whenever possible. I have been thinking about putting up a long-term ownership report since a year now, so better not delay it anymore !

To start off, a small Intro –
Me – 29 Years old, driving since 11 years legally ( 12 years illegally )

About My Car –
Maruti Swift (ZXi)
How old: Sep 2006 Model
Mileage(or KM’s on ODO): 1,21,000 approx
Car Color: Silky Silver

I was on a look out for a small car/hatchback to cater to my daily driving of approx. 60kms or so – commuting from Gurgaon to Delhi - The car was delivered on 1st Sep.

Selection,Booking ,Buying and Dealership
Since this was not my first car, the initial car being an Alto. But this definitely would be burning a hole in my pocket with monthly EMI’s – so I had to be careful and make a calculated move.

Main Contenders – ( A budget of under 4.5L or lower) Indica V2, Swift, Hyundai Santro, Maruti Alto
The initial question I had in mind was – Petrol or Diesel ? I was very much inclined towards Diesel considering that I am driving 60kms/day … but to that I was asked a question – do you propose to keep on working at the same office/workspace for next 5 years ? What if your office relocates to 5 kms from your home …will it justify the cost ?

Maruti Alto
Never thought of taking a test drive since I already had an Alto – but still for the sake of it took a test drive. As compared to my year 2000 model Alto, the one I drove was a major difference – the biggest I noticed was presence of power steering ! The car was no nonsense car – easy to maintain, low running cost, MASS to back it up, and a kind of known territory. The only reason to pull me back was - “ will you drive the same damn car you already have for next 6/7 years ? “

Hyundai Santro
Again a small car – well within my budget. Apart from Maruti, I was at ease to rest my maintenance issues with Hyundai. Took a test drive, liked the car and the complete overall package. Infact gave the dealer a cheque of 10,000/- for initial booking – the car was to be delivered in 2 weeks time.

Tata Indica
This test drive was immediately after giving a cheque of 10,000 to Hyundai dealer in Gurgaon – on the same day. After driving a petrol for few years, and taking a test drive of almost new Hyundai Santro, the noise, vibration and harshness of Diesel immediately shook me to reality. I was ready to pay a bit more per month on running cost as compared to getting a diesel engine ! Moreover, none of my known friends, or family members were interested to go ahead with either Tata or Taxi like image of Indica.

Up to this time we were anxiously waiting for delivery of Hyundai Santro ! Till this time we had not even considered Swift – let alone driving one. On a hot Sunday, we went to Metropolitan Mall (Gurgaon) for a stroll in AC …and found the car on display on it’s ground floor entrance. Surprisingly we liked it! A car we had not even considered in race to be finalized ! On asking for a test drive, they said “Sir pls go ahead and reach home, test vehicle is on the way” …this really impressed me – excellent marketing I must say !

Maruti Swift
The test vehicle that came to house was a Zxi variant – the top end. Peppy engine, short gearstick, fun to drive ! Add to it loads of features in this particular variant – Alloy wheels, automatic climate control, height adjustable driver seat, all 4 power-windows etc etc
We liked the car so much, that the booking with Hyundai was cancelled, and a fresh round of negotiations with Maruti Dealers started for freebies, discounts etc.
Finally settled in with Apra Auto Gurgaon – the price breakup was as –
On Road – 5,31,000
Cash Discount – 25,000

A snap of rate list from Aug 2006 –
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-copy-20130108-19.47.59.jpg

Freebies Offered were –
3rd Year Extended Warranty
Bumber Moulding
Side Moulding
Mud Flap
Dashboard Shiner
Mats
Dashboard Clock

Paid Extra For –
Speaker Set – 4 No – 3022 rs.
Hardwire Kit – 600
Gear Lock – 1700 (Minda )

I had a new Sony Stereo with me, so purchased four door Sony Speakers from the dealer itself – no wire cutting was done, and warranty remained intact.
Except a stereo, reverse parking sensor, digital clock etc no other modification was done.

Following is the snap of car just before it went for PDI checks and paperwork –
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc00913.jpg

Following is the first snap of the car at my home after fitting the accessories etc –
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc00916.jpg

Installation of CNG Kit
The car ran absolutely fine for couple of years, or approx. 32,000kms, when the high fuel bill starting pinching my pocket. To fight that, I started looking for CNG kits in the market and their positives and negatives. Again went ahead with Apra Auto and got the following installed –
BRC Kit – 12KG cylinder
Advancer
NO lambda – not required, and since HR number its not compulsory
The above costed me approx. 42,000 including the RC changes.

Experience with Dealership –
I am almost 90% satisfied with the dealer – Apra Motors Gurgaon – have purchased 3 cars from them so far, have got 2 CNG kits installed, multiple servicing on all cars, and numerous trips – people are nice and problems were rectified.
For this particular instance, I gave the car to their showroom at 9AM and following was the timeline –
- By 10AM, initial paperwork was done
- Cylinder Bracket was installed, Wiring work started
- Cylinder installed, wiring work completed by 1PM.
- A break of an hour for Lunch
- 2PM went for CNG fillup for the first time. 18rs for a KG !! WOW – whole refill in under 150rs !!
- Went back to station for leak test and final tuning.
- Switched over the car to CNG and took a test drive – I was literally amazed, almost negligible power loss ! (though I was OK with power loss if it saves me 5000/month!! )
- By 4PM, I was back at home, having done a complimentary car wash from the dealer.

Driving Experience with CNG is without any hassles I must say. In the last approx. 90,000 odd kilometers on CNG, I have not yet faced any major issue. Following are the expenses incurred with respect to CNG Kit –
1. Filling valve was leaking – came to know at the time of filling of gas, happened in the initial 1 month of Kit, so it was very well under warranty and was replaced.

2. Mixture was cracked –this is the circular mixture that connects the air filter with the CNG pipes – following is the snap to make it more clear –
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-gasair.jpg

Replacing the above costed me 900/- from MASS (would be cheaper outside for sure)

3. Advancer conked out once – I could feel a drop in pickup. On checking it was the advancer that had short-circuited because of heavy engine washing a day before. Replacing it costed 1500/-

Apart from above, it was regular service at 10,000 kms, with an addition to –
1. Tapet Adjustment every 15000 – 20000 kms. You can sense this for adjustment on watching the RPM needle dance on a stationary car.
2. Air Filter Replacement – every 5000 kms
3. Throttle Body Clean – every 10,000 kms or earlier. A must have – I have been using 3M Throttle Spray for cleaning (cheap alternatives being Petrol/Brake Oil).
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-3m.jpg
4. Injector Cleaning – every 20,000 kms
5. CNG leak test – every 20,000kms or whenever I had a chance to go to the dealer.

Issues Encountered So Far –
1. Nut gone “free” on a wheel – happened on front right hand side wheel. On trying to replace a flat tire, came to know that a nut was completely free and was not coming out. This being an alloy wheel, couldn’t use hammer much. Went to local garage, and they suggested to get the nut cut from a welder using acetylene torch!
The welder very carefully and cautiously did his work, cutting away the nut bit by bit. Fortunately no damage to brake pad, or alloy wheel happened during the whole exercise. But this incident forced me to add one more itinerary before taking any highway trip – get the wheel balancing/alignment done just before the trip, and get all 4 tires rotated – at least you’ll face this when you don’t have a flat tire !

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-nut.jpg

2. Damaged RIM – This incident happened on 2nd free service – when the MASS technician tried to do tire rotation with the spare wheel, it was asking for more than 150Gms of weight – which definitely suggests that there is a major bend in alloy rim. MASS replaced the whole RIM and Tire with a brand new set free of cost – without any arguments or heated exchange of words. Fortunately this happened to my spare wheel and it was unused.

3. Oil Sump Replaced - this was on the way from Kufri to Fagu road, the condition of the road was just too bad. Luckily there was just a crack which was fixed temporarily by local mechanic at Shimla using M-Seal. Unfortunately I don’t have a snap as to what he did …got this replaced when I came back to Delhi.

4. Horn Stopped Working – stopped working all of a sudden – got it replaced with Hella Normal Sound (not the super loud ones ) – almost identical to the one OEM is.

5. Lights Replaced – This was another much-needed accessory required if you are fond of night driving – got the whole set of Relay + Philips 100/90 purchased and installed. I am not sure how much this costed, but was cheap, and was under 1500. Got this done from Karol Bagh, Delhi.

6. Clutch Replacement – Got this done from local mechanic at about 70,000km mark. Purchased the spare from MASS and got it done outside.
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-clutch.jpg
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-clutch_2.jpg

7. One Headlight was broken – I was fuming when I saw right hand side Front Headlight in pieces when the car was parked in Apollo Hospital Parking. The attendant wasn’t sure how it happened, and I knew nothing would come out by venting my anger at that poor soul. Anyways, instead of going to MASS, this time I went to Mayapuri, New Delhi – known for availability of “almost” all spare parts at dirt cheap rates. (it’s a known fact that whenever you visit, keep one of your friends or family member in car for safety of the vehicle – cars gets jacked up and broken down to pieces within 15 mins in this place ! ) Found a used RHS front headlight for 500rs (had just 2 scratches on it ) and 100 for headlight leveler. Got this then replaced from my local mechanic.

8. O2 Sensor Replaced - This was one such purchase which has gone down the drain. I was pissed off with the constant ECU light that was lit. Everyone I asked, said its normal when you are running the vehicle on CNG. I wasn’t able to digest the fact that after running 60,000kms on CNG, how come now ECU is faulty ? After many troubleshooting steps etc etc, someone suggested to go ahead and replace O2 sensor based on ECU error logs. This was purchased from MASS for I think 2500 or so – but in the end came to know that ECU light was all because of a faulty CNG advancer. 

9. Tires were replaced – OEM tires lasted for a good 75,000 kms. Still they had sufficient tread life left – but still went ahead and replaced them with Bridgestone. This costed me approx. 2800 per tire after deducting the cost of old tires. In addition got a free wrist watch from Bridgestone(they were running some sort of scheme) + set of keychain + set of Hand Towels with embossed Bridestone on it + free wheel balancing and alignment + Nitrogen on all 4 tires.

10. Headlight/Indicator Light lever stopped working – Happened during the initial 2 years of ownership - got it replaced in warranty. The lever was not going forward to enable high beam and was stuck. MASS replaced the complete block by opening the steering column. Unaware of the price !

11. Battery was replaced couple of years back – in 2010, which means the original lasted for 4 years approx. New one is an Amaron brand.

Misc Snaps I could dig out from Archives !
1. Car is approx 40K driven -
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-40000kms.jpg

2. Car has crossed 75K mark -
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-75k.jpg
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-at78000kms.jpg

3. Swiftie has now reached a milestone -
Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-1l.jpg

I am hoping to keep the vehicle for next 2 years or so, and lets see how it goes. Even though I can go ahead and sell it off now, but with the huge depreciation on vehicles when they cross 1L kms, it puts me off. In the end, why to sell it off when all it needs is a bit of expense every 10,000 kms ? !

Last edited by ptaneja : 16th January 2013 at 17:18. Reason: Adding More Details
ptaneja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 12:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Swift Petrol & CNG Kit - 160,000 kms of a committed relationship!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 17th January 2013, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

@ptaneja,

Congratulations on your trusted workhorse.

What is the FE you are getting with the CNG? What capacity of cylinder have you got installed? Is it the regular 14 kgs or 16 kgs? I guess your swift does not have something called as bootspace now.

Happy many more wonderful mile crunching. Drive safely.
Old 17th January 2013, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@ptaneja,

Congratulations on your trusted workhorse.

What is the FE you are getting with the CNG? What capacity of cylinder have you got installed? Is it the regular 14 kgs or 16 kgs? I guess your swift does not have something called as bootspace now.

Happy many more wonderful mile crunching. Drive safely.

180 to 200 kms on Delhi/NCR traffic on each refill of about 9Kgs. The cylinder is a 12Kg one - I haven't heard any cylinder with 16Kg capacity though . Moreover, I am satisfied with the bootspace - I can keep 3 bags in the boot space with rear parcel tray removed.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:45   #5
BHPian

A well detailed experience along with equally detailed snaps. 1Lakh kms plus and the car still looks as pristine as a new one! Well done, mate. Surely shows the pains you take, to keep her in top shape inside-out!

What's the mileage you get on a fill?

I am surprised to know, your OEM JK tyres lasted for a staggering 75000 kms !! Have only heard negative feedback for these (including myself as a contributor, when my Esteem developed cracks on it's tires' side walls) but, your experience with these comes as a welcome change

Last edited by MetalBuff : 17th January 2013 at 16:09.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
A well detailed experience along with equally detailed snaps. 1Lakh kms plus and the car still looks as pristine as a new one! Well done, mate. Surely shows the pains you take, to keep her in top shape inside-out!

What's the mileage you get on a fill?

I am surprised to know, your OEM JK tyres lasted for a staggering 75000 kms !! Have only heard negative feedback for these (including myself as a contributor, when my Esteem developed cracks on it's tires' side walls) but, your experience with these comes as a welcome change
Thanks for the feedback - I'll try posting more snaps this weekend - those would particularly cover the boot space, CNG kit engine snaps etc.

The fill as I said earlier is approx 200kms on 9Kg of gas ...as far as petrol mileage is concerned, 500rs worth of petrol lasts approx 6/7 months
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 16:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
...I am hoping to keep the vehicle for next 2 years or so, and lets see how it goes. Even though I can go ahead and sell it off now, but with the huge depreciation on vehicles when they cross 1L kms, it puts me off. In the end, why to sell it off when all it needs is a bit of expense every 10,000 kms ? !
Exactly the reason why our Wagon R has remained with us for 11 years (~120k KM) now. Nothing wrong with it except for a few dents and doubles up nicely as a luggage mule for visiting family from the airport.

Crisp summation there, now follow this up with the CNG SX4 experience too.

Cheers.
Old 19th December 2014, 07:47   #8
BHPian

A short update on my Swift -

- it will reach 1,50,000 mark very soon - just shy of few kms.
- last week got the following done -
- whole suspension overhaul
- Clutch changed (last change was at 70k mark)
- Brake pads changed
- steering work done - kit/kit noise and vibration on the steering column was fixed.
- major servicing done - all liquids replaced (engine/gear/brake) , spark plugs, filters(oil/air), throttle cleanup, injector cleanup etc

In 2015 mid I am thinking about getting the whole car repainted - multiple dents/scratches to be fixed. Being an optional expense, this always keeps on getting postponed ! What should be the cost involved in this ? any good places ?

MODS: Please edit the subject of this thread to read "1,50,000" kms

Last edited by ptaneja : 19th December 2014 at 07:55.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:34   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
- it will reach 1,50,000 mark very soon - just shy of few kms.
And just shy of 10 years too! Congrats on the milestones.

Quote:
Clutch changed (last change was at 70k mark)
You obviously drive well for the clutch to last 70 - 80k kms .

Quote:
In 2015 mid I am thinking about getting the whole car repainted - multiple dents/scratches to be fixed. Being an optional expense, this always keeps on getting postponed ! What should be the cost involved in this ? any good places ?
Great idea considering her age.

Hard to say without looking at the condition, but should be anywhere between Rs. 25,000 - 35,000 (depending on the garage).

Repaint her in the same colour. Don't change it, else it's a more major job.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And just shy of 10 years too! Congrats on the milestones.

You obviously drive well for the clutch to last 70 - 80k kms .

Great idea considering her age.

Hard to say without looking at the condition, but should be anywhere between Rs. 25,000 - 35,000 (depending on the garage).
Repaint her in the same colour. Don't change it, else it's a more major job.
As of now, the car has crossed 1,60,000 kms - got her serviced and did the following -

Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Coolent Changed
Spark plugs cleaned - no change needed.
Wiper Blade Changed
Disk Brake Changed
Rear Shocker Right Side changed

The above costed 6200/- including labor charged - not from MASS, but a friendly garage which I know since many years.

Additionally, got 4 tires changed - difference here being that all 4 are pre-worshiped (Bridgestone ) , about a year old (as per date on them), with sufficient tread available (just a puncture on couple of them ) - all 4 after exchange costed 4000/=

The car would remain with driver for about a year more - September 2016 to be precise - this would turn the car to a total of 10 years old. I am waiting for driver to lay off of his hands on the car before I spend money on it.

- New Tires
- External rear view mirror is broken (left side ) (driver kept it closed, let it be for a year more )
- Complete 3M care for interiors.
- Internal Rear View Mirror is almost non-functional (would take a snap and share)
- Rear gas struts for boot lid - the present one's are not capable of keeping the lid up, it goes shut after leaving it for few seconds.
- Body work under windshield/above engine compartment firewall needed - I have observed water seeping in through corrugated/corroded metal sheet to internal cabin - for now a metal plate/quickfix have worked - would be going for a lengthy permanent fix soon. ( will take a snap for this too )
Old 21st September 2016, 22:51   #11
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift Petrol & CNG Kit - 178, 000 kms of a committed relationship! EDIT: Now sold!

With a heavy heart, I am updating the thread. Circumstances change, earlier I was expecting to keep the car well after 10 years, but after getting a new car from company lease, I had to sell off this old trusted companion.

With the Odometer reading close to 1,80,000kms, I bid farewell to it.

Few parting shots. I'll surely miss her. Many sentiments linked to it which I can't even pen down.

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160920-17.20.32.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-09.55.20.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-11.33.26.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-17.02.58.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-17.03.04.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-17.03.13.jpg

Maruti Swift Petrol + CNG Kit: 180,000 km of a committed relationship. EDIT: Now sold!-20160917-17.03.29.jpg
ptaneja is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks