Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 18:57   #76

re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Sir
Could someone suggest anyone in TAMILNADU to replace the OEM audio system with something like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/74...koda_Yeti.html

a touch screen one. I have the lower model 4x4 skoda yeti and i would really love to have the GPS and touchscreen video system in mine.

I dont see anyone fixing this kinda system advertised.

Kindly recommend.
Old 17th January 2014, 19:32   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulie7 View Post
Sir
Could someone suggest anyone in TAMILNADU to replace the OEM audio system with something like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/74...koda_Yeti.html

a touch screen one. I have the lower model 4x4 skoda yeti and i would really love to have the GPS and touchscreen video system in mine.

I dont see anyone fixing this kinda system advertised.

Kindly recommend.
Get the Blaupunkt Philadelphia which will be a perfect fit. Its made for VAG products and many people here are happy with it.
Old 28th June 2014, 19:30   #78
Team-BHP Support

Update-

The Yeti's odometer stands today at almost 34,000kms which is quite a leap from the 21,000kms it was at in December when it went for the second service. I don't like to wait for 15k kms, and I think 12-13k kms is about fine to send the cars for a service.

So the Yeti is due for its third service this coming Monday. I wanted to use VW507 approved engine oil which the owners manual recommends. Skoda did not want to/could not get me the oil hence I have got it from the open market. The good part is its cheaper than what Skoda would have sold it to me at.

Anyway, no real issues with the car till date, despite the increased running over the past 6 months *touchwood*. The brake pads are probably at the end of their life, and have lost a fair amount of bite. Besides that there is a noise from the right front suspension when a sharp bump is hit. Other than that no mechanical issues.

There is a tiny rattle from the rear left seat, which doesn't seem to get fixed. It goes when someone is sitting on it. I guess its due to the flexible seating, so the seats aren't attached as firmly as fixed seats. The drivers seat makes a tiny creaking noise when its at its highest height (for my driver). Besides those no rattles or squeeks either.

Also I got the compressor valve replaced, don't think the compressor itself was replaced. This was done under warranty, and I didn't pay a dime. The right front foglamp had got fused at the same time and that was replaced for around 600 rupees.

Well other than that nothing much else to report. The car has been working just fine, and what I continue to love is the versatility it gives, from going over crappy roads keeping the occupants comfortable to cruising on the expressway at high speeds. This car is certainly a gem, and I can't think of anything else I need to add to the car.

Thank you for reading.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 10:15   #79
Team-BHP Support

So here's the news on the service.

My driver dropped the car off around 1230 to Skoda, with the VW507 oil I had bought. Told the service advisor to do the normal 3rd service, and to replace whatever filters are necessary, and not just clean them. I'd rather pay a bit more and replace them now than have them cleaned and send the car back after a while just to replace filters.

So the air filter, oil filter, fuel filter were replaced. Asked him to change the pollen filter too since I felt the AC had become a bit less powerful. Also said he can do EGR cleaning if needed. Told him about the front suspension noise, and the seat rattle which he said he would check out.

The suspension noise turned out to be the front linkages, which were gone. Gave him the go ahead to replace, and the linkages along with labour cost about 6.2k. The seat noise seems to have become less, but lets see if it comes back.

The total bill came to about 16k from Skoda, and including the oil I bought separately its about 21k. Its a bit expensive mainly due to the suspension linkages.

But now that all this work has been done, the engine is much more silent and smooth with the VW507 oil. The acceleration is a tad bit better and apparently the FE will go up too. The suspension noises are totally gone, and the car just feels so silent from the inside now.

All in all, it was well worth the trouble for the VW507 oil, and the car is back to being totally perfect after this service.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:05   #80
Team-BHP Support

The Yeti is now at 42xxx odd kms. The usage has gone down a tiny bit, but there are some updates.

A few weeks ago my driver called me saying the coolant light is on, and sure enough it was. Topped up some water, but the light came on again after 10 mins.

Sent the car the next day to the service centre, and they thought it might be the water pump. This was supposed to have been done under extended warranty.

2 days later I am told there was a system error and there is no extended warranty on my car. Now since I bought the car pre owned I didn't have an extended warranty certificate, but I had seen on their system that extended warranty was there.

Took it up with Skoda, and someone explained the full situation to me. The bill amount was 8k, paid it off to get the car back.

Also got some scratches on the car free along with this work.

I created a bit of a noise with Skoda, and now the Deputy GM of Autobahn is posted at this service centre to oversee the work being done.

I'm also going to get them to repaint the panels where there were scratches.

Now besides that, the suspension feels like it has worn out, the shocks don't seem to be damping that well and bumps can be felt a lot more. Now the tyres have done about 22k, but I doubt they are the cause for this. The car has been used on some rough roads, and I think the shocks may be worn out. I am now going to get it thoroughly checked when I send it in for repainting, and going to evaluate whether it makes sense to get Koni FSDs for about 45k as compared to stock.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 12:36   #81
Team-BHP Support

Haven't updated this thread in a while.

The Yeti got back from its 4th service last week, and currently is at 49k kms. I got the VW507 oil again this time and got it put into the car. Some bushes were worn out at the rear and have been ordered, also the Haldex oil due for a change wasn't available so has been ordered. I'll have to send the car back one of these days to get those things done.

Besides that, the Yeti has been running perfectly. I sent the car to the service centre once in the middle after the last update, where they opened and lubricated the suspension and put it back. It now feels much better than before. The brake pads too were changed, and I think its great that they lasted 40k kms plus.

Due to a bad chauffeur in the middle, the Yeti has garnered quite a few dings and dents on the sides. I'm going to get some painting work done on the Yeti soon, and I'll then paint the B pillar black and the wheels anthracite.

Also thanks to Bhpian Abbey4U, the bulb fused light after installing xenons no longer needs to be there. He used a can bus kit from The Retrofit Source and that solved the issue. I too have ordered the same.

The Yeti is certainly a workhorse, and the interiors show no sign of any wear besides a bit of chrome on an AC vent adjuster. I don't think we will get rid of the Yeti anytime soon the way things are going.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:14   #82
BHPian

My Yeti will soon be up for its 90,000 km service. It goes to Autobahn for service. Where do you source the VW507 oil and the oil for Haldex clutch?

Yeti is indeed a workhorse. So far it has not given any surprises and runs nearly as well as it did on day one. Would you suggest anything special that needs attention during 90K service?
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 10:31   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

A few weeks ago my driver called me saying the coolant light is on, and sure enough it was. Topped up some water, but the light came on again after 10 mins.
Sent the car the next day to the service centre, and they thought it might be the water pump.
Took it up with Skoda, and someone explained the full situation to me. The bill amount was 8k, paid it off to get the car back.
Hi Akshay,

Am a fan of your garage. Period.

I know its a bit late coming to this, but my 4x2 Yeti has also been giving coolant problems. The coolant light kept coming on even after a couple top ups with water as well as coolant. This was over a period of time of course. And I have tried monitoring the coolant levels by marking the fill-up points with a marker on the expansion tank. What I have been able to analyse till now is that over a couple weeks, the coolant level goes down by around an inch & half.

Is it possible there is a leakage in the coolant reservoir? The JMD Skoda guys, to whom I go for regular servicing, say that in order to search for a leak it would take time to dismantle the underbody plate and check.

Or is the water pump the culprit? Would it show up in their error scan? If possible, could you help me with the details of the replacement along with price? Sorry for so many questions at once, but am looking for some expert advice as my car is also not under Extended Warranty & don't want to be taken for a ride. Also my father is the primary user of this car, so want it to be a perfect resolution.

Thanks in advance,
Siddharth.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 09:40   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
My Yeti will soon be up for its 90,000 km service. It goes to Autobahn for service. Where do you source the VW507 oil and the oil for Haldex clutch?

Yeti is indeed a workhorse. So far it has not given any surprises and runs nearly as well as it did on day one. Would you suggest anything special that needs attention during 90K service?
The VW507 I get from Shetty Motors in Opera house. It should be available in many more places though. Its called Castrol Edge Professional or something of that sort.

The Haldex oil too, I made the dealership order. Even though it took a long time. I can help you with the part number if you would like. If it hasn't been done on your car (which it probably wouldn't have, unless you have specified it, even though its part of the scheduled maintainence).

As for the service, just take a look at the manual and do the scheduled things. I can't really remember anything in particular to look at.

Also how is the suspension holding up at 90k? Any components replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post

Or is the water pump the culprit? Would it show up in their error scan? If possible, could you help me with the details of the replacement along with price? Sorry for so many questions at once, but am looking for some expert advice as my car is also not under Extended Warranty & don't want to be taken for a ride. Also my father is the primary user of this car, so want it to be a perfect resolution.
When my water pump was leaking, the coolant light would come on about 15 mins after topping up. In your car it may just be something different. But its worth getting checked the next time it goes in for service, or even sooner.

If it is the water pump the cost should be between 8-10k for the water pump.

I don't think it would show up in a scan.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 01:23   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The VW507 I get from Shetty Motors in Opera house. It should be available in many more places though. Its called Castrol Edge Professional or something of that sort.

The Haldex oil too, I made the dealership order. Even though it took a long time. I can help you with the part number if you would like. If it hasn't been done on your car (which it probably wouldn't have, unless you have specified it, even though its part of the scheduled maintainence).

As for the service, just take a look at the manual and do the scheduled things. I can't really remember anything in particular to look at.

Also how is the suspension holding up at 90k? Any components replaced?

Thank you akshay1234! Please let me know the part number for the Haldex Clutch oil.

The suspension is holding up pretty well. Couple of bushes were changed in the front part of suspension during the last service (around 80km).

I also follow the manual, but Autobahn did not have Haldex Clutch fluid last time. This time I'll call them beforehand to check whether they have it in stock or get it myself. If it's not available locally I'll try and import it.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:58   #86
Team-BHP Support

Update -

The Yeti is now at 63k kms, and was serviced recently as you may have seen in my thread about terrible VAG service in India.

Well after that, the haldex oil was changed about 2 weeks later. There was also an abs/esp light which used to light up in the mornings. Had told the service guys of this issue when it went for the oil. I was told an abs sensor would have to be changed in the rear left wheel. I was also told that the wheel hub may have to be changed.

After getting the car back, there was a grinding noise whenever we turned the car to any side at low speeds. Upon reading skoda forums, it seemed that something may have been rubbing the disk because of everything not being put back together properly.

Called the service manager and told him to open everything and put it back together properly. He was adamant that it was not the case, and the wheel hub would have to be changed as he had previously said.

Gave him the go ahead, and 3 days (yes 3 days later) he called me apologetic that I was right and the parts hadn't been put back together. But also that the wheel hub would have to be changed. I gave him the go ahead and finally got the vehicle back!

Its possible the hub may not have needed to be changed at all, but I didn't want to take a chance if it was going to lead to the esp or abs malfunctioning.

So besides these muck ups by the service centres, the Yeti has still been largely reliable. And owing to the bad resale value of the Yeti, I think this one will be a keeper (unlike the vRS which will go at the end of this year).

The leather especially on the drivers seat is showing some black marks and dirt, and I think I may have to get some treatment like colorgo done on it, during which I may choose a darker shade possibly the brown which comes on the L&K models abroad.

Besides that I have also noticed the engine has a lot of clatter now when its not warmed up, much more than earlier. Not sure what could be causing it. Its also a bit more noisy when fully warmed up at low rpms.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 20:58   #87
Team-BHP Support

Gave the Yeti for a full overcoat since I wasn't happy with the dings and dents which had developed over the years. My regular dealer (who's service seems to be on the rise again) insisted I give it to them, and I paid gave them a chance.

Doing a couple of things with the paint, which I think will make the Yeti look better. Stay tuned for pics tomorrow once I receive the vehicle.

Other than that, the Yeti is running strong at 66k kms. What a workhorse its turned out to be. I think this vehicle is going to be with us for a few more years at least.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 21:29   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Akshay
Did you buy your Yeti used?
And are you now getting the whole vehicle repainted by the dealer? If yes, then will it not detract from the "originality" and hence affect potential re sale? I do understand this one's a keeper but you seem to be spending quite a packet!
If not confidential can you share details of how much you've spent on maintenance and improvements etc since you bought it?
Are you using the same colour or going for a change?
When you do the leather, are you looking at Black or perhaps a Dark Cafe?

Let me know

My Yeti (as of now) is a keeper too. Its done 34K Kms in 4.5 years.
Im going to spend some money and get those wheel arch extenders in ABS plastic (Original Skoda) fitted, to help cut down damage from two wheelers etc...

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2016, 23:21   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Akshay
Did you buy your Yeti used?
And are you now getting the whole vehicle repainted by the dealer? If yes, then will it not detract from the "originality" and hence affect potential re sale? I do understand this one's a keeper but you seem to be spending quite a packet!
If not confidential can you share details of how much you've spent on maintenance and improvements etc since you bought it?
Are you using the same colour or going for a change?
When you do the leather, are you looking at Black or perhaps a Dark Cafe?

Let me know

My Yeti (as of now) is a keeper too. Its done 34K Kms in 4.5 years.
Im going to spend some money and get those wheel arch extenders in ABS plastic (Original Skoda) fitted, to help cut down damage from two wheelers etc...

Thanks!
Hi Shankar,

Yup got it when it was a year old and had done a shade under 6k kms.

I had a careless driver in the middle who just got too many dings and dents. Couldn't stand it anymore. So got a full overcoat done, in which they didn't have to remove any panels or any such thing.

I didn't get the full car opened up, nor have I changed the colour (have added some more colour though) so I don't think it will affect the originality.

Got part of the overcoat done in insurance, so it didn't really cost that much. The cost was 30k after insurance covered its bit.

In terms of improvements, I've gone through one set of Michelin Latitudes which were a shade over 10k per tyre. And now its on the Falkens which were mid 7s per tyre. Apart from that around 10k on the xenon kit (I found the stock lighting horrible), and another 3k on the can bus error cancellers. Besides that just sunfilm which cost around 10k.

Regular services have been in the range of 11k-16k. Brake pads were changed, and some bushes on the rear were changed along with the front tie rods.

The only real failure has been the waterpump, for which we paid around 12k. I wasn't in town otherwise would have gone to the service centre and made them do it under goodwill warranty.

I'm finding some wear in the leather on the front seats. On the drivers seat some stitching seems to be opening up and colour is going in a few places. This too I can blame on rough use by one or two careless drivers (luckily we've got a careful chap now). It's amazing how one bad driver can mess a vehicle up so badly. Am still wondering what to do about this -

Here are some pics of the vehicle now. It may not appeal to some who prefer rugged looks, but I wanted to make my Yeti look more like a city slicker
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6-img_2851.jpg  

4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6-img_2853.jpg  

4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6-img_2854.jpg  

Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 11:14   #90
BHPian

Re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
When my water pump was leaking, the coolant light would come on about 15 mins after topping up. In your car it may just be something different. But its worth getting checked the next time it goes in for service, or even sooner.

If it is the water pump the cost should be between 8-10k for the water pump.

I don't think it would show up in a scan.
Hi Akshay,

Bumping up an old query. I am actually having Coolant problems again. I keep losing coolant on a regular basis. Took it up with JMD Kandivali during my 3rd Year service in June. They did a visual inspection, didn't find anything. (I was there). They then did a pressure test. They basically mount a pressure piston along with a gauge on top of the coolant tank and kept a constant pressure of around 1.75 bar. No loss of pressure meaning they couldn't source the leak. Topped up and left it at that.

Now again, I started getting trouble with the coolant levels, with them dipping low every 80-100 kms before the warning light comes up and I have to top up. On reaching out to JMD, now they say there may be a problem with the EGR valve which costs ~50k to replace, they're charging 5k for inspection.

Now I tried my research on international forums with the following results:
1. Water Pump Failure - coolant does not circulate correctly
2. EGR Valve Failure - the coolant burns up in the EGR leaving behind a residue, also resulting in some smoke from the exhaust.(Happened once, but I thought it must be the DPF)
3. Small cracks in the Cylinder Head (Worst Case)

Request your advice. I thought of going to Autobahn for a second opinion. I'm really not confident taking the Yeti on upcoming long trips in this condition.

Thanks in advance,
Sid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks