Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 12:53   #1
BHPian

SWIFT- 300KM report

Hi guyz,

Before buying swift I have gone through all the feedbacks on this site as well as on other sites (carindia.com, and swiftuser yahoogroups).
Though the reviews are quite mixed and mostly negetive I still pumped up myself to go for swift believing in Maruti. It is a silver VXI with no ABS. I test drew following cars
1) Indica XETA
2) Icon flair 1.3
3) PAlio 1.2
4) Santro xing
5) Swift
6) Esteem

Apart from Palio 1.2 and Santro xing I liked all the cars in terms of value for money, I think these two cars are very easily beaten by New Indica XETA in terms power/space and value for money. And dont forget that TATA is improving day by day and car by car.
I thought Swift is cutest of all of them and I bought it.

Performance:
Its is really fun to drive swift..smooth like silk, Though performance is not as good as any 1.6 car but I must say it is more than adequete. EPS is superb. Good security features.
Mileage? ... I dont know... not measured but according to auto magazines and dealer (Mandovi, Bangalore) it should be 10-12 in city with AC and 16-20 on highway. I'll post my figures later.

Build quality:
No ratteling heard as of now. May be Maruti has fixed it in later versions.One thing I am sure that build quality in not poor in swift ... It is neatly and strongly built. Just close the door and hear that sound carefully...boy..It is a solid car ...for 4.88Lakhs ..I am sure competition is left gasping.Bad suspensions ??? you must be joking.. It has got class suspensions.It is the feature of this car and not a bug.

Space:
Leg space and boot space problem is blown out of proportion it seems. Its not that bad at all. I drew the car accomodating 5 adults and 1 kid, with 5 Mid size bags and 2 big bags piled up in my boot comfortbly. Is that not enough ? I think it is. Yes Its not meant for loading and dont forget It is still a small car afterall.Small cars are like a 2BHK flat...you should know that you are moving into flat and not in bunglow.

Problems:-
1) Rear visibility is really poor, I need to Install revers sensors.
2) Powerless Third gear ... I dont know what happens to vehicle when I put it to third from second.
3) I felt a little roughness in the egine when I rev it, Is it normal ? Can anybody help me on this.

Though I am satisfied still ..I wish a little more :
1) Power
2) rear leg space (2 inches for a long drive comfort)
3) boot space
4) big rear window glass

My verdict is clear..... Simply a good car, OWN it and then comment.

AJAY J
Bangalore
Old 29th May 2006, 12:58   #2
BHPian

nice review there, swift is indeed a good car , no doubt.Have you taken her to any long trips yet?
Old 29th May 2006, 13:03   #3
BHPian

Hi

I am sorry to contridict i dont think the indica can beat a palio in anything apart from Price..........

the diffrence will be easily noticeable in a yr time when things in Indica starts faaling a part......................

Sorry to contridict once again ........

Thanks
Old 29th May 2006, 13:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J
Hi guyz,

Apart from Palio 1.2 and Santro xing I liked all the cars in terms of value for money, I think these two cars are very easily beaten by New Indica XETA in terms power/space and value for money.
I don't know why you are comparing Palio 1.2 and Indica Xeta! Its is like comparing bikes CT 100 and Pulsar 150.
Palio is miles ahead of Xeta in terms of Build Quality, Ride Comfort, Safety, Stability etc. Only space may be same in both the cars.
Please test drive a Palio 1.2 and then share your comments. You liked Swift, you bought it. So enjoy your Car rather than undermining other Cars!!!
Old 29th May 2006, 13:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
I don't know why you are comparing Palio 1.2 and Indica Xeta! Its is like comparing bikes CT 100 and Pulsar 150.
Palio is miles ahead of Xeta in terms of Build Quality, Ride Comfort, Safety, Stability etc. Only space may be same in both the cars.
Please test drive a Palio 1.2 and then share your comments. You liked Swift, you bought it. So enjoy your Car rather than undermining other Cars!!!
I am not trying to undermine any car though just sharing my experince. I'm afraid but you are undermining TATAs, they have done a better job with XETA. Check the space, interiors, mileage and performance of XETA with palio 1.2 compare the prices and let me know your views. Dont keep any reservation while comapring... That's what I do. No hard feeling
Old 29th May 2006, 14:20   #6
BHPian

wow!!! 5 adults & 1 kid??

hey ajay!

congrats on your new ride! i was wondering how on earth did you manage all that luggage with 5 adults and 1 kid into a swift???? look seriously i think it's a good car but these adults would have to be really tiny for everyone to have a comfortable ride...anything more than a couple of kms. also personally feel that the power steering is a little over-assisted.
Old 29th May 2006, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not trying to undermine any car though just sharing my experince. I'm afraid but you are undermining TATAs, they have done a better job with XETA. Check the space, interiors, mileage and performance of XETA with palio 1.2 compare the prices and let me know your views. Dont keep any reservation while comapring... That's what I do. No hard feeling
What experience are you talking about? You have driven only Swift and so u have experience only of Swift. Try driving all the Cars you have listed and then let us know your comments.
What do you know about the mileage and performance of Palio 1.2? Get the feedback from Palio owners & then you will come to know what is Palio!
If you like Xeta so much you should have bought a Xeta, instead of buying a Swift and now comparing Xeta it with other Cars.
Old 29th May 2006, 15:02   #8
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Hi guyz,
Before buying swift I have gone through all the feedbacks on this site as well as on other sites (carindia.com, and swiftuser yahoogroups).
Though the reviews are quite mixed and mostly negetive I still pumped up myself to go for swift believing in Maruti. It is a silver VXI with no ABS. I test drew following cars
1) Indica XETA
2) Icon flair 1.3
3) PAlio 1.2
4) Santro xing
5) Swift
6) Esteem

Apart from Palio 1.2 and Santro xing I liked all the cars in terms of value for money, I think these two cars are very easily beaten by New Indica XETA in terms power/space and value for money. And dont forget that TATA is improving day by day and car by car.
I thought Swift is cutest of all of them and I bought it. [...]
When comparing Indica Xeta and Santro Xing, remember that Santro is lighter and more agile, with superior handliing. Of course, the Santro's engine is way ahead of the Indica's, although, as you say, Tata is rapidly improving. So in the long term, Xing will provide greater value for money. While the Xeta has a marginally higher top speed and pick-up, the difference is nothing much to shout about. But the Xeta cannot match the Santro's agility in the city or in most of our traffic-filled narrow highways, e.g. while making rapid lane changes/overtakes. Even in my old Santro ZipDrive, I have found Indicas relatively easy to pass because their drivers seem very reluctant to make tight overtakes with rapid switching of lanes. Maybe Indica drivers can enlighten me on whether this is due to any limitation of the car's steering/handling. But the Xeta has greater space and is a safer car at high speeds than the Santro. I don't know much about Palio 1.2, but you can be certain that it has a superior engine to the Xeta.
Regards, rks
Old 29th May 2006, 15:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash7678
hey ajay!

congrats on your new ride! i was wondering how on earth did you manage all that luggage with 5 adults and 1 kid into a swift???? look seriously i think it's a good car but these adults would have to be really tiny for everyone to have a comfortable ride...anything more than a couple of kms. also personally feel that the power steering is a little over-assisted.
It is possible , It has got wide rear seat. 3+2 is quite possible. Kid was sitting on the front seat with another adult. Yes It is manageble.
Old 29th May 2006, 16:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is possible , It has got wide rear seat. 3+2 is quite possible. Kid was sitting on the front seat with another adult. Yes It is manageble.

If you have a Zxi, I hope you realise that the airbag might create more harm than good
Old 29th May 2006, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
If you have a Zxi, I hope you realise that the airbag might create more harm than good
Hey ajmat,

He did mention that it was a VXi WITHOUT airbags . But still, just as dangerous when you have kids sit in the front seat.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 29th May 2006, 17:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Ajay,

You have to look at a overall package rather than looking only at space, interiors etc... Currently, the Palio is a best looking hatch in india and as sportive it is (many mags accept this). XETA will never stand anywhere near to Palio 1.2 as Palio 1.2 is a mile ahead in any terms (may be except price). Even I too wonder, why you didn't go for XETA? overall it is a VFM car over SWIFT.

Happy Motoring,
Cheers,
Gudda
Old 29th May 2006, 19:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc
Congrats Ajay,

You have to look at a overall package rather than looking only at space, interiors etc... Currently, the Palio is a best looking hatch in india and as sportive it is (many mags accept this). XETA will never stand anywhere near to Palio 1.2 as Palio 1.2 is a mile ahead in any terms (may be except price). Even I too wonder, why you didn't go for XETA? overall it is a VFM car over SWIFT.

Happy Motoring,
Cheers,
Gudda
Hey Mahadev

Dont get emotional Man, again I'm just expressing my personal opinion and I stand by it. Why dint I buy XETA... I fell in love with swift's looks and its smooth drive. That's all.
Cheers,
Ajay
Old 29th May 2006, 19:35   #14
BHPian

I stand by you ......finney and mahadev .........xeta is nver close to palio in any criteria ..........xeta is only a substitue for a Alto...thas it ..

Palio.......its just that sale's and Fiat on the whole have screwed it up..but with the Help of Tata..service is no more an issue ......

At least palio are not been given away with Chaddi's ........(VIP's Chaddi dae Gaddi Offer)

Neither they have Dumd.dumb..........dumb .

We have Guys have a Status and we Maintain ...it

sorry to be rude ...............but cant help it .........

Thanks
Old 29th May 2006, 19:44   #15
BHPian

Ok i forgot 1 think

Congrats Ajay!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks