Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 22:33   #181
BHPian

re: My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 5 years, 5 months & 50,000 km

Thank you friends (noopster, Rajeevraj & landcuriser123) for your valuable feedback. I too also have my eyes on VENTO TSI more than CIAZ its just that at home I am just trying to convenience my wife, as the price of VENTO TSI is Rs. 14.41 lac Highline (today evening received the quote from VW Palace Road - Bangalore. The Whitefield Showroom did not respond till now, even though I had contacted them yesterday) which is more than 1.2 lakh than CIAZ. But its not that every day I would buy a car. The new car will be with us for a minimum 7 years. My Indigo has been with me from December 2005. My TATA experience has been good. In Kerala my native is a village in Thrissur district and wife's place is in Pathanamthitta Town. So Kerala visit means travel from one end to other. Now keeping all this in mind I need to decide soon.
Old 28th June 2016, 07:49   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A quick update after 21 months of usage. Odo is coincidently at 21,000KM after 21 months.
No real change in opinion about the positives. So, overall, glad I went for this car and still brings a smile when ever I take it for a long drive.
Hello Rajeev! Nice to see the thread as fine and pristine as your car itself, after long. It is indeed a look-no-further solution for the TSI owners, current and prospective alike! Needless to say, I was one myself when I bought mine 19 months ago; a classic "Polo-pushing-to-Vento" case for the very reasons you mentioned.
With the ownership experience so crisply brought out, all I'm left to do is stand testament.
Quote:
Coming to the less positive items.
[list][*]AC cooling has gone down over the last month or 2. Now it is at a point that the co passengers are feeling uncomfortable unless I put it in max all the time (In this case the blower noise is an irritant). The blower speed is not as strong as it should be. Assume it is something to do with the filters.
Affirmative! Filters it is. Quite a popular issue. Faced and got it rectified in my first service.
Quote:
[*]There is a vibration to the steering coming through under instances of hard braking. I read in the Vento thread that this could be a sign that the brake pads/discs needs to be replaced. Being an AT I assume wear and tear of the brake pads is higher.
I faced the infamous juddering issue a couple of times early on at ~10k mark. This is NOT (R) NOT on the steering, but very prominent heart-stopping vibrations felt on the brake pedal during terminal stages of hard braking, steering being rock steady. Experienced this even more during a recent long trip while braking in slush. Suspect it's due to skidding since the vehicle seems to slide without the influence of the brake. But that sounds unacceptable with the ABS+ESP under the hood. Seems to be a major issue though rare. Have you ever experienced this? Would be grateful if anyone can throw some light on this.
Quote:
Mileage has been steady. 10-12 in City, 13-14 in heavy traffic 2 lane highways and 15-17 in 4/6 lane highways.
15-17? Magical figures those. I remember you milking close to 19 on one of your airport trips. Speaks volumes about your patience
srikanth.hv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:53   #183

Hi Guys. Wanted ask a couple of questions based on my experience so far. I have been driving the Vento Tsi since November 2015 in Bangalore (with horrible bumper to bumper traffic) and am getting mileage of around 8 kmpl on a regular basis. This goes up to around 14-15 on highways where mostly D7 is engaged. I had raised this point with VW Whitefield and they said its common in Bangalore traffic. To give you some idea of my daily drive, the 12 km one way commute to my office takes around 1 hr 10 mins. I was wondering whether the mileage in my particular car is way lower than standard as I read here? Also, have started feeling vibrations (dont recall feeling this earlier when the car was newer) when the car is standing still with the engine running (gearbox in P). The car also shudders when I let it start crawling with no accelerator input. Are these normal? I had also given my car a month ago to VW whitefield for fixing jerks in the gear shift - more specifically, when the I apply the brake to slow down the car (due to traffic ahead and the gear drops) and accelerate again post that as traffic has opened up : this is when the jerk is felt while gears change after a moment's hesitation. This was sorted mostly by them after keeping the car for about a week and shifts became smoother but the issue seems to have cropped up again. Anyone has had similar experience and any solutions? Thx.
Old 24th August 2016, 22:26   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariusmaximus View Post
Hi Guys. Wanted ask a couple of questions based on my experience so far. I have been driving the Vento Tsi since November 2015 in Bangalore (with horrible bumper to bumper traffic) and am getting mileage of around 8 kmpl on a regular basis. This goes up to around 14-15 on highways where mostly D7 is engaged. I had raised this point with VW Whitefield and they said its common in Bangalore traffic. To give you some idea of my daily drive, the 12 km one way commute to my office takes around 1 hr 10 mins. I was wondering whether the mileage in my particular car is way lower than standard as I read here? Also, have started feeling vibrations (dont recall feeling this earlier when the car was newer) when the car is standing still with the engine running (gearbox in P). The car also shudders when I let it start crawling with no accelerator input. Are these normal? I had also given my car a month ago to VW whitefield for fixing jerks in the gear shift - more specifically, when the I apply the brake to slow down the car (due to traffic ahead and the gear drops) and accelerate again post that as traffic has opened up : this is when the jerk is felt while gears change after a moment's hesitation. This was sorted mostly by them after keeping the car for about a week and shifts became smoother but the issue seems to have cropped up again. Anyone has had similar experience and any solutions? Thx.
On the mileage, considering it is bad bumper to bumper traffic, an average of 8-9 seems to be normal. Even if you are able to drive at a constant 30-40 kmph, it will go up to 10-11. But in your case 12km taking more than an hour means some bad traffic. On the plus side, I dont think any other automatic and maybe even some manual sedans will fare significantly better in such conditions. (Knowing Bangalore traffic conditions)

Which is your route by the way?

Not really observed the shudder, Occasionally notice a small shudder when accelerating with a heavy foot. Have read about others here experiencing it (mostly Octavia owners) in varying degrees of intensity.

Additional update: Crossed 30K km during my last trip. Planning to summarize the experience so far soon.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 13:06   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Brake judder is an irritation. In fact, as I have been monitoring it closely, it's not limited to 3->2 downshifts, it happens in 2nd gear as well. I think it's because the DSG is programmed not to shift into 1st unless the world comes to an end. Poor programming.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 23:21   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

30,000 Km Update

Last month the ODO crossed 30,000 KM after ~31 months of usage. So thought to provide a small update. Thankfully it has pretty much been an uneventful ownership experience so far and nothing major has happened since the last update. So have just summarized the whole experience into this post.
  • Took delivery on 30th November 2013. OTR Price at that time was ~12.58L. This included the expensive dealer insurance.

• The car is stock except for the HU which I replaced with the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 on Day 1 and a reverse camera. Details of this is in the opening post itself (Link). A nice post by Moderator Gannu which also has the manual for the Philadelphia 835. Link

• Been pretty happy with this unit. A big plus is the fact that the Reverse Sensor data Display on the HU works. VW removed the potential support for this from the 2014 and onwards refreshes.

• The 1000KM Update detailed in this post. Good News is that my opinion has not changed much from this initial update.

• The 2500Km Update detailed in this post. Fuel Efficiency Summary at this point detailed here

• The 4000km update detailed in this post. Also has the first bad news about slightly bumping into an Alto which resulted in the number plate cracking. Fuel Efficiency summary also included here.

• An attempt to create a mileage record. 18.5KMPL over a ~100 km round trip detailed in this post

• The 6 months general check up updated detailed in this post. A mess up with the brake lights was the only issue (Guess due to my reverse cam). Was done at VW Whitefield.

• At the time of launch the TSI's did not have extended warranty. It was launched around 6 months after my purchase. Did not hesitate to buy it. Cost was ~15K. Detailed in this post

• The 1 year-11,000KM experience along with the first service update detailed in this post. Bill was Rs 11500 and the first expense with the car. Detailed mileage statistics in the subsequent post.

• A small 15000 KM update in this post. Around this time i switched to exclusively running in S mode during all highway drives. Much more fun with minimal drop in mileage.

• Well it is a Black Car and I would rate my maintenance as above average. So 18 months on, gave it a full detailing treatment from 3M car care. Brought the car back to its original glory. Detailed in this post. Initially wanted to do the Pete's SmartWax treatment, but they treated me badly by first giving me an appointment and then cancelling it without informing me. I came to know when I went to drop the car and it messed up a lot of my plans.

• 21 month, 24,000 KM update in this post. Reduced AC cooling and a surprising number of punctures were the negatives that I had reported.

• 2nd Service Update detailed in this post. Was done at 21500km and 2 months short of 2 years. Also had the first non standard expense in the form of a cracked lock carrier. Good job done by the SA in lifting the car and noticing it while taking the vehicle in. The cost was ~14,000 including the broken lock carrier replacement. Experience was pretty good.

• 2 year, 23500km Update in this post.

• The next non standard expense. Had been facing vibrations during braking from high speeds. A problem reported by many Skoda and VW owners. replacing pads, skimming discs, or replacing both pads and discs were potential options. Did not want to do a trial and error and VW Whitefield were not ready to skim discs. So went ahead with the replacement. Detailed in this post. Damage was Rs 7600.

• Sometimes in June 2016, went to 3M Car Care for a wash and ended up doing another detailing treatment. Details in this post (Exterior & Interior Detailing - 3M Car Care (Sarjapur road, Bangalore)) (Note: It is in a different thread)

Some common themes/comments from me running across the thread
  • TSI DSG combination is superb. S mode does not drop mileage too much, Hill Hold is a boon.

• Jerks between D3 and D2 that occasionally happen. Several discussions about updating software. Not really done it as I have not felt the need (At this time, I don't feel any jerks)

• Missing stuff like Cruise Control and some other things that came out since the 2014 refresh.

• I keep telling I want to change bulbs and mats, have not done it.

• Keep talking about being interested in remaps and other mods, have not done anything so far.

So that's about it. 30,000 KM Update. I owned 3 pre owned cars before this one and this is my first new car. None of my previous cars I drove for 30K km since i changed pretty rapidly. This is meant to be long termer (Provided VW and DSG are kind to me). Couple of latest pics below. Not clean and shiny, but dirty and in a place where it has spent a lot of its time- An open highway.

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-ventoatest.jpeg

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-img_20160815_104600.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 19:57   #187
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The next non standard expense. Had been facing vibrations during braking from high speeds. A problem reported by many Skoda and VW owners. replacing pads, skimming discs, or replacing both pads and discs were potential options. Did not want to do a trial and error and VW Whitefield were not ready to skim discs. So went ahead with the replacement. Detailed in this post. Damage was Rs 7600.
Honestly this problem doesn't stop with replacing rotors and brake pads. Surely it won't crop up for the initial few thousand KMs, but it will return once you have to brake from higher speeds. I have faced the problem in both our Polo GT TDI (currently 90k on the ODO) as well as in the Vento TSI (25k on the ODO currently). How quickly the brakes develop this behaviours is directly influenced by how early into its service life, you have to brake from higher speeds. Once it starts, it remains throughout the rest of pad/rotor service life.

I suspected everything from debri being stuck between the pads to upsized wheels to be a cause of problem (Polo is running 205/50 16, Vento is stock). But after going through mutiple disk rotors / skimming exercises and brake pad replacement, I can attribute it only to the inferior quality of materials, either the pad or the rotor itself, used in Vento/Rapid/Polo. They aren't able to withstand braking from higher speeds. When our Vento was primarily driven around Calicut and in Kerala, never faced the problem. But one fast trip to Chennai, it also started behaving like the ones on our Polo (which regularly sees this route and higher average speeds).

Unlike their bigger cousins, the rotors/pads for these cars are supplied by Brakes India and quite frankly they are simply not upto the mark with respect to the performance/speeds these cars are capable of. Similar driving conditions, routes and higher average speeds, never faced such a problem in our Laura. Currently we have switched to OE replacement pads and rotors from Brembo on the Polo and after multiple fast highway drives, the brake juddering problem hasn't resurfaced yet (7k KMs into its life, the shuddering used to start by this time itself earlier). Slightly better bite also, as per my brother, who uses the car regularly.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:48   #188

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know its not an aberration. My route is Marathahalli to MG Road and the worst traffic is on the bridge, Marathahalli market and then on the long stretch post the HAL main gate to Manipal signal.
What I referred to was kind of a shudder and more akin to the gearbox taking a split second to think before actually engaging the lower gear and then moving ahead. Happens, like I mentioned, when you gotta decelerate (resulting in gear drop) and then need to accelerate very soon thereafter. Had read on the forum that this was not uncommon for the DSG on Vento and Polo, but just wanted to be sure before raising it with the SA.
Your experience over the 30000km was a very enriching read as well!
Old 13th August 2017, 12:03   #189
BHPian

VW Customer Service & After Sales?

I am very impressed with this thread and 99% certain that I want to replace my Fiato Punto diesel with a VW Vento TSi. Just waiting for the new Verna Petrol 6 speed Auto to be launched, so I can TD both.

I requested for a TD on VW India website and received an email confirmation but nobody called me for over a week. So, I called VW Whitfield yesterday and the response I received was "no customer place TD on Saturday & Sunday". I was a little taken aback as it could have been articulated politely, like a Fiat or Maruti would probably do. I told them I could come to the showroom for a TD so let me know once the vehicle is ready/available. Again, no call back from them.

Is this typical of VW India & would be a cause for stress when customer support/servicing/maintenance is required?
Old 13th August 2017, 12:20   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Honestly this problem doesn't stop with replacing rotors and brake pads. Surely it won't crop up for the initial few thousand KMs, but it will return once you have to brake from higher speeds. I have faced the problem in both our Polo GT TDI (currently 90k on the ODO) as well as in the Vento TSI (25k on the ODO currently). How quickly the brakes develop this behaviours is directly influenced by how early into its service life, you have to brake from higher speeds. Once it starts, it remains throughout the rest of pad/rotor service life.

I suspected everything from debri being stuck between the pads to upsized wheels to be a cause of problem (Polo is running 205/50 16, Vento is stock). But after going through mutiple disk rotors / skimming exercises and brake pad replacement, I can attribute it only to the inferior quality of materials, either the pad or the rotor itself, used in Vento/Rapid/Polo. They aren't able to withstand braking from higher speeds. When our Vento was primarily driven around Calicut and in Kerala, never faced the problem. But one fast trip to Chennai, it also started behaving like the ones on our Polo (which regularly sees this route and higher average speeds).

Unlike their bigger cousins, the rotors/pads for these cars are supplied by Brakes India and quite frankly they are simply not upto the mark with respect to the performance/speeds these cars are capable of. Similar driving conditions, routes and higher average speeds, never faced such a problem in our Laura. Currently we have switched to OE replacement pads and rotors from Brembo on the Polo and after multiple fast highway drives, the brake juddering problem hasn't resurfaced yet (7k KMs into its life, the shuddering used to start by this time itself earlier). Slightly better bite also, as per my brother, who uses the car regularly.
More than anything, your problems have the perfect symptoms of running the car on out of balance wheels leading to the rotors ultimately wearing out unevenly and juddering.

Have you tried dynamically balancing the wheels at a very reputed balancing shop which probably has a hunter road force balancing machine?

Also, can you please check in your current wheels if balancing weights are present on both sides? They will be sticker ones since yours has alloy wheels but stickers should be on both sides or the inner side could have clip on ones too.
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 14:03   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Customer Service & After Sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am very impressed with this thread and 99% certain that I want to replace my Fiato Punto diesel with a VW Vento TSi. Just waiting for the new Verna Petrol 6 speed Auto to be launched, so I can TD both.

I requested for a TD on VW India website and received an email confirmation but nobody called me for over a week. So, I called VW Whitfield yesterday and the response I received was "no customer place TD on Saturday & Sunday". I was a little taken aback as it could have been articulated politely, like a Fiat or Maruti would probably do. I told them I could come to the showroom for a TD so let me know once the vehicle is ready/available. Again, no call back from them.

Is this typical of VW India & would be a cause for stress when customer support/servicing/maintenance is required?
VW Whitefield has that 'take it or leave it' attitude. I think I have mentioned it somewhere in this thread, dealing with them is ok, but don't expect too much of politeness or customer friendliness. From that perspective VW Palace Cross is better. If you have read my initial posts, you would have read about how I moved from VW Whitefield to VW Palace Cross.

I would suggest you try with Palace Cross for both the TD and purchase- Should be better.

Overall, to be honest, don't expect VW to be extremely customer friendly in any manner. The car-especially in its current avatar is brilliant. If you don't face any issues and end up having to visit the service center only once a year for the regular maintenance, you can adjust with the levels of service and customer friendliness. If you have out of cycle issues then it can be a hit or a miss.

Just realized I have not updated the thread in almost a year. Been a quiet year both in terms of running and also issues faced. So it is kind of a no news is good news scenario.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 15:33   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
More than anything, your problems have the perfect symptoms of running the car on out of balance wheels leading to the rotors ultimately wearing out unevenly and juddering.

Have you tried dynamically balancing the wheels at a very reputed balancing shop which probably has a hunter road force balancing machine?

Also, can you please check in your current wheels if balancing weights are present on both sides? They will be sticker ones since yours has alloy wheels but stickers should be on both sides or the inner side could have clip on ones too.
Road force balancing machines came to Calicut (our hometown) only odd 1 to 1.5 years ago. And the staff there believes they are only for wider / tyres above 16" .

Either way I am quite sure that the problems we faced in our Vento and Polo are not due to wheel balancing issues. It (normal balancing) was performed regularly (3000 - 5000kms depending on convenience) at reputed locations across Calicut / Coimbatore / Chennai, where the cars spent most of their time. As already mentioned, the problems would start only after a high speed brake application.

As on date, the particular Polo GT TDI has done around 1.22lakh KMs, roughly 40k KM after switching to brembo rotors and pads. No shuddering issues with the brakes yet. Driving conditions, driver, routes and speeds are all pretty much the same, as is periodic alignment/balancing/rotation. So after going through 3 sets of tyres, three sets of wheels and properly maintaining them, the problem can't be attributed to anything but the quality of the pads/rotors supplied to vehicles back then.
Old 27th July 2018, 17:25   #193
BHPian

Rajeev, I was going through one of the bills posted by you of service. I see items such as brake pad removal, front as well as rear, mentioned there. Does VW owners manual recommend it? Or it is recommended by SC?

Once I had this done for my car but could not find any different so next time onwards when Ford tried to push these brake pad cleanings, I refused.
Old 30th July 2018, 13:18   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Rajeev, I was going through one of the bills posted by you of service. I see items such as brake pad removal, front as well as rear, mentioned there. Does VW owners manual recommend it? Or it is recommended by SC?

Once I had this done for my car but could not find any different so next time onwards when Ford tried to push these brake pad cleanings, I refused.
Need to go back and check the exact recommendation in the manual. I assume it was a SC recommendation. I have also had shuddering issues a couple of times due to the front rotors. It could have been as a result of this complaint also. (Does not explain the rear ones, May have thrown it in to make some additional money).
Old 10th November 2018, 02:33   #195
BHPian

Quote:
30,000 Km Update

Last month the ODO crossed 30,000 KM after ~31 months of usage. So thought to provide a small update. Thankfully it has pretty much been an uneventful ownership experience so far and nothing major has happened since the last update. So have just summarized the whole experience into this post.

It's two years since your last update. I hope you have already crossed 50000 KMs mark. How is the car doing now?

I need to buy a new car, and Vento TSI is one of the top contenders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks