Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 22:16   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX EDIT: Sold!

No News is BAD news! I haven't had much to write for some time as the car spend a considerable 2-3 months in a garage and is still in another one for at least next 2-3 weeks (in Murugan's garage).

The overheating issue hasn't been solved and now has been diagnosed to issue with the head. Seems the age of the car / salt deposits have created issues of the coolant not being circulated leading to massive heat damaging the seals etc.

Am given an estimate of 20K for the repairs (using old / refurbished parts). The silver lining is that the car is with it's BEST mechanic who understands everything down to even it's nuts and bolts.

Edit:: Though these issues ruin my happiness and make me restless, one spin in the car makes you smile. This is the FIAT I should be seeing in India. Saying it again, with time, Fiat probably has travelled backwards.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th September 2018 at 22:35.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 22:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX EDIT: Sold!

This is one car I regret for skipping when I could buy one. I still remember the test drive I took on a dark grey colour car way back in 2002.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 12:02   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

The GTX is in a hibernation and sees very little drives now a days as the CBR does major duty (Link). Was completely grounded for 2 months or so with occasional cranking and leaving it on for few mins other than taking it to office for a couple of days, managing a 5 km round trip.

There is a weird idling vibration I get, which kind of makes me restless thinking whether it's going to shut down - though it hasn't happened.

Recently gave it a new cell wash and brought it back. Got a Jopasu duster for both car & bike (long one and a glove like one), dusting is way too easy and effective. Both the car & bike gathers dust in a day's time inspite of a covered parking. The Palio is such a timeless design.

The "Red"dy brothers!

From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX EDIT: Sold!-img_20190121_125114813.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th January 2019 at 12:09.
swiftnfurious is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:18   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Close to a year and an update. Since the parking slot was used to build a cabin, had to leave the car at Murugan's place for 3-4 months. This also happened when i had given the car for checking the vibration at idle. Turns out to be an issue with one of the injectors which was replaced with a used one.

This also meant I was scouting for a new place with a car parking and with too many criteria for the new place (which I put down), the search was almost endless. Finally, moved to a new place on Dec 01 and brought the Palio back. Its doing fine except for the need of AC recharge. For a 17 year old car, it still amazes me the way it revvs and shoots off the point.

Also covered this milestone today when someone who was interested in the car reached out for a TD. Since I was frustrated with the wait to find out a new place, the thought of selling the car became stronger and I might part with it for a reasonable offer.

From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX EDIT: Sold!-20191205_122522.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th December 2019 at 00:19.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:42   #80
BHPian

Everytime I see a Palio 1.6, the urge to own one gets rekindled. My current daily ride is also a 2002 Palio. If it was 5 years ago, I probably would have jumped at the opportunity, but now it has started making less sense to own one as each year passes. Our Palio hasn't given any major issue apart from the radiator fan motor giving up 3 times. But experiences of others and especially the 1.6 being a different animal makes me think twice these days.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 05:20   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Palio 1.6 GTX was probably the earliest “Hot Hatch” in India.
Sadly, I believe, it was years and years ahead of its time in this purely FE focussed market.

Perhaps manufacturers like Fiat, VW, Skoda, Renault, Suzuki and Toyota and others should bring in a small run of retro limited edition hatchback cars in a small batch of perhaps 100 cars each, all thoroughly updated of course, with the right safety and emission norms etc.

I think now the market is kind of mature and these vehicles will tend to get snapped up.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 19:11   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Clicked today morning.

From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX EDIT: Sold!-20191206_134903.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sadly, I believe, it was years and years ahead of its time in this purely FE focussed market...
This exactly isbwhat I told a friend yesterday. This car was way ahead of its time! We, in 2019 have very few cars which gives us a 100bhp under 10L budget. The space Palio has on offer, the ride & handling package everything is top class. Sad this started making an impression after it went off the market.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:21   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

SOLD :: Re: From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...someone who was interested in the car reached out for a TD. Since I was frustrated with the wait to find out a new place, the thought of selling the car became stronger and I might part with it for a reasonable offer...
The car has been SOLD. Hopefully the guy who has grabbed it will take care of the car. The car spent 5 years with me and never stranded me anywhere. The ownership experience has been a mixed baggage but I have immense respect for this machine. The specs, features, space, ride, handling, GC - everything has been above average even in 2020. Only few cars can match it in today's time.

The itch for another car has started already and I'll go for another pre-worshipped vehicle. The value of such deals cant be ignored. Am honestly surprised what I can get in 6L budget even in Tamil Nadu (inspite of the usual high resale value).

Please do provide suggestions. :: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post4721563 (Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd January 2020 at 09:23.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks