Team-BHP - My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/160950-my-2014-grey-fiat-linea-1-3l-mjd.html)

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-fiat-linea.jpg

My sincere thanks to Vequar M and all the folks who helped me in various stages of the decision-making and stood by me in all phases till I got the possession of the vehicle. A special thank you to fellow forum members nkrishnap, arun_josie & finneyp for attending numerous calls from me and answering all my questions in detail.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-live-drive.jpg

The opening picture :-)

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-opening.jpg

Before we start off with a detailed review, I would like to put forward a few ground rules on expenditure that I have set for myself in life and thankfully have managed to strictly abide by them till date.

1 : Spend on what is needed.

2 : Have separate line of saving for important aspects in life.

3 : Strictly a basic credit card (till date I have a CC with a max limit of Rs. 20 K and I only use it for online reservations and to clear bills)

From the above three points, you all would have got a basic idea on how I manage my finances . Now comes the interesting & the tough part.

4 : No car loan - In my opinion, a car is a luxury and I would buy or change one only when I have sufficient money to dispose at hand and will not borrow money for luxury.

I have owned 2 cars in the past - a Honda City 2002 & Hyundai Verna 2007. Both were pre-owned and you know the reason by now for going this way. Both cars kept me very happy and I definitely had a trouble-free ownership experiences. The Honda made me grin every time I drove it and its low maintenance bills were a bliss. With my running increasing day-by-day and petrol prices sky-rocketing I had to rethink my priorities. Overpowered by my practical mind, I had to take the decision against my heart I let go of my dear Honda.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-honda-1-2.jpg

I plonked in some savings on top of the amount I received in the trade off and that is how my journey started with the diesel beast. Boy oh boy, the turbo kick was additive like weed and this machine used to shoot like an arrow during overtaking maneuvers and every time "ye dil mange more". Well the Verna was not so light on maintenance like my petrol Honda, and I had to get a new clutch, complete suspension overhaul and a set of new tires as well which I was fine with as the ride got better and I was definitely smiling.
The car was serving the purpose of my daily commute to work and occasional highway dashes (damn I still miss that turbo and will for a long time).

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-verna1-1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-verna1-2.jpg

Days and years passed by and all was well. Slowly the maintenance bills started crawling up, but it was not a very huge concern at that point. It was mid-2013 and then came a day when I had saved enough for a new car by not compromising on any of my preset priorities & something in store for emergencies. So the game began in my mind and it was altogether a one sided argument :-) and I already made up my mind that this time around I will get a new car and its time to say adios to by dear Verna. My wife always played an important role in choosing cars (please don't say tell us something new), but what I can tell you is she knows more than a thing or two about cars and has some good skills in financial planning which always come handy in all aspects. We started looking for a new car with the following things in mind as requirement.

- Has to be a sedan.
- Should definitely have 2 airbags, ABS, EBD. More safety features are welcome.
- The car should drive well.
- Decent fuel efficiency.
- Need a diesel to justify my regular run.
- Should have good boot space as we have multiple runs to the airport.
- Should be liked by my father as we always share rides (his regular ride is a Santro).
- Last but most important & a definite must (included on strict demand by my wife) should have rear AC vents.
- No specific need of good alloys / audio & additional frills.
- No SUV's as they are way beyond my acceptable budget.

And we finally found the match we were looking for.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-view-2-rock-back.jpg

Here goes my test drive experience.

Disclaimer: All the views are strictly my personal opinion and I do not intend to debate and cause inconvenience to anyone ;-).

Hyundai Verna
- Very good package.
- Had all the needed bells and whistles.
- Excellent interior.
I was only looking for the 1.4 CRDI (my strict budget you see, this raises its dirty head everywhere). The test drive was pretty good, I loved the turbo (old habits die hard). I had the ride quality issues at the back of my mind from the past experience and also the possible high bills from maintenance on the long run. My wife however, was not too happy with the back seat comfort, no rear AC vents and probably a Verna again was something she did not like much. Hence, eventually this option was ruled out.

Toyota Etios
After reading reviews and ownership threads I was very exited about this car.
- Good car, nice space.
- Bald interiors and exteriors.
- Center console was a total turn off.
- No rear AC vent was a drawback (for obvious reasons).
However, I was still inclined towards this car due to the merits that the strong T inherited and low maintenance kept knocking on my head. On a third visit to Harsha Toyota my dad tagged along with me and then at the end of the visit he pulled the trigger and the option was ruled out.

Toyota Altis 1.4 D
- Altis always exited me and I loved the sheer size of the car.
- The small engine was no major concern for me.
Although I was inclined towards a new car, the Altis definitely made me rethink and I did check out some used cars.
I found some good ones just a few years old (Post 2010 / 2011) in the range of Rs. 9 Lakhs, and I parked this option as plan B.

Maruti Ertiga
- I liked the car and the space.
- Interior was pretty decent as well.
- The utility was good.
- Most importantly, the test drive showed that the car handles just like any other vehicle and its size is manageable in the city.
- Strong after sales support
I liked the ZDI and it could have been accommodated as per my financial constraints with the ongoing discounts at that time.
Then again, a question from my dad which was practical - why do we need a car for 6? Also, the thought that car might not give the same comfort as a sedan eventually pushed us away from this option.

VW Vento
- Loved the build.
- Interiors were fine and looked long-lasting.
- The test drive was pretty good with the TDi showcasing its capabilities.
- The huge rear hump was something not too pleasing for me.
Unfortunately, VW does not come with safety features which match my requirement with the money in my pocket.

Nissan Sunny
- Acres of space and truly a CAAAR.
- Reliable and proven Dci.
- The shape did not excite me much and the maximum height of people in my family is 5.8", so the extra space was good to have, but not mandatory.

Fiat Linea
- Adorable looks.
- The interiors looked very good.
- The price was excellent.
- 5 years / 1,50,000 km warranty.
- Excellent ground clearance.
- NVH levels are negligible and external sound insulation is pretty good.
The test drive was definitely good with the Linea handling like a pro on the deserted Banjara Hills roads on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

The turbo lag was evident in the lower rpms, but it was definitely manageable for my sedate style of driving. Post the test drive, I pushed the SA for offers and he did come up with some good discounts. We collected the sheets and retired for the day. I had a long night thinking about the price point and what the Linea had to offer. The ride quality was hard to forget and post the 2.5 rpm mark, the car behaved differently - the weight helps it to stay planted on the ground.

Next day, I sat lost in my thoughts about the Linea and started browsing the internet for ownership reviews and experiences. The deal was excellent but the only thing that was slightly pushing me back was the company reputation itself which killed the brand. After going through many threads I understood the pros & cons and I was able to make a decision to step towards the deal.

My wife was happy with the car as well. So the next day and I went back to the dealer along with my parents and this time my dad too did not have anything to complain about - he gave his nod. With this, I and my trusted friend sat down at the table and further pushed the SA for deals and were able to squeeze the max. The booking amount was not paid as we said we will come back in a few days after some more thinking.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-view-1.jpg

The rest of the options from Renault, Ford, Mahindra, Tata were given quick looks and were not considered for more or less the same reasons captured for the cars above.

Then came the twist in the tale - the news about the launch of the new Honda City diesel was catching up and the stage was all set.
I grueling was stuck to the pre-launch discussion thread of the City and with every post I read it became more exiting. Somewhere at the back of my mind the fond memories of the trouble-free and less expensive ownership kept my interest mounting. With this I informed the SA (poor soul has been chasing me for a week for booking amount) from Fiat that my decision is on hold, with the anticipated pictures and discussions the thread was on fire and it kept me glued all the while. In the meanwhile my Verna continued to be my ride and I was determined to wait for the City. After some discussions at home it was agreed in harmony that we shall wait for the launch of the most awaited diesel car.

The car was launched in November and after looking at the initial pictures and reviews I paid the booking amount to Pride Honda (Rs. 51 K) with a fully refundable clause written on the booking receipt. The model and colour choice was left blank as there was no clarity at that point of time.

In the meanwhile I bid adieu to my Verna in the middle of December, started taking hops with my colleagues to work and used my cousin's Honda City automatic for about 2 months as stop gap arrangement.

The wait continued, time moved briskly and the physical launch of the car happened in December and after looking at it in person I was pretty happy with my decision. I was one of the limited customers who was invited for a special preview of the car at the dealer's stockyard before the actual launch across India. I felt special, and thanks to the detailed review by GTO I managed to give a walk through to the SA on all the features rather than the other way around. The wait for the price started eventually when the details were out I saw that "S" fitted my budget the best. However, all that I needed started from the SV trim level. So with an uneasy feeling financially I set my mind on the SV.

The test drive was pretty good, the rear seat comfort was fabulous. The diesel clatter was chosen to be ignored and was agreed that it can be lived with. I asked the SA to postpone the delivery to March 2014 instead of January as I had to rework on my finances to accommodate the Rs. 11.5 Lakh OTR Hyderabad price figure. The choice of colour was initially Urban Titanium, but later changed to white. Days passed by and we waited for the calender to turn.

One day I was called in by senior management and informed that I would have to travel to Latin America for a year on a business requirement. Oops! Honda has to be parked for now was my first thought. The options given to me were a fly back home every quarter or I can be accompanied by my family. After a few discussions at home I opted for the later as my wife and kid never traveled out of India. I still did not cancel my booking. While I filed my documentation for the visa, I initiated parallel discussions at home if we can still get the car in March and my dad could use it while I was away. After a couple of discussions my father ruled out the option and said he would not be justifying the diesel machine with his run and he was pretty happy with the Santro for his daily commute. Also, he wanted me to enjoy the new ride. Parents!!! Sigh they think so much about us. I tried convincing him until April and kept postponing the delivery date and finally cancelled the booking in the 1st week of April 2014. The Rs. 51 K was promptly refunded after 10-12 days as a cheque which was collected by my father after I left.

Months passed by and in November 2014 the discussion started again and Ciaz was added as an option. However, after a few discussions and reading the forum, we were firmly stuck with the Honda City and towards the end of November taking advantage of the Thanksgiving holidays, went for a week-long vacation to the US of A and my wife returned to Hyderabad. From there as she was bored already with the life in LATAM. In December the news on excise duty started picking steam and then it was evident that the government was in no mood to extend the soaps. This was finally dropped as a boulder by my wife via a call in early January 2015 that prices of the City have shot up and she called Pride Honda to find the new price and SV was costing Rs. 12.3 Lakh OTR. This practically meant I was looking at Rs. 12.5 Lakh at least if I include basic accessories like floor mats, under body coating, etc.

Now most of you would be thinking that additional Rs. 1 Lakh is not much of a deal as I am already on an international assignment. Honestly yes you are right but then the question raised its voice loud was what the had car got to offer worth the spend of Rs. 12.5 Lakh. Honestly, I was not able to find a justifying answer. Suddenly the car started looking too heavy on my pocket and my practical mind started playing its role again. I strongly felt that I should not be spending this huge an amount on a car and I should put the money at hand for a better use.

A short discussion took place with my wife who was on a instant agreement (remember I already told you all how good she is in financial planning) we dropped the plans to buy the City and mutually agreed to look for a used car when I was back home and invest the remaining money in a much better prospect for the future. The decision taken gave me immense relief and we started looking for used cars and as answer to the question which one. Both of us agreed to find a Linea as we loved it for the reasons mentioned already.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-side-profile.jpg

On a casual Friday night around 10 pm after work I started browsing and bumped across the deals for 2014 models. I found killer deals on the Linea which was already lingering on the mind anyways as a used car option. Immediately, I called a dealer Butta Auto and spoke to the SA. He gave me a figure over the phone. However, he said that the deal is only on the Dynamic variant as Emotion was not available. I was fine with it and since there was no major difference anyways, I said one of my friends will meet him in person. Another call was made to my close friend and he swung into action immediately. Saturday morning when I woke up there was a heap of messages on Whatsapp about the discussions he had with the dealer and asked me to call asap. I called him and could sense his excitement immediately. The number he told me along with the freebies was irresistible, we agreed that I would need sometime to talk to home and revert. Couple of calls and guess what I was the last one to know this news as my buddy had already spoken to my wife and she was waiting for my call to let me know that she is in to grab the deal. She had spoken to my dad already and he was absolutely fine.

So the stage was set, we all liked the interiors of the 2014 model much better than the 2013 model which we saw earlier. Next day a thorough test drive from my dad and my dear friend to get the impressions and a thumbs up was sent to me. The subsequent Wednesday the deal was finalized and the booking amount was paid and we we started waiting for the VIN and the wait lasted for more than a month.

I had a terrible dealership experience with Butta which almost pushed me away from Fiat. For obvious reasons I put in some effort and a big thank you to fellow forum member nkrishnap who used his contacts, guided me in changing the dealership and we moved to AV Motors. The experience at AV was excellent, the updates and communication from them are highly appreciated.

Now for many of you who are thinking how did my practical mind allowed me to decide on the Linea which is not known to command good resale, this is what I had in mind when the decision was made. I am saving a straight Rs. 3 Lakh (if I opted out of the Honda City - Rs. 12.5 Lakh for SV) as I would pay Rs. 9.5 Lakh OTR for the Linea and with some additional savings in my kitty, I planned to invest on land. I am sure that I will make more money in the coming years than what I would be loosing as resale value in the Linea. Moreover Linea appealed to the heart, hence we have decided to go with it as it suited all our requirement. We also strongly felt that we should not be thinking everything in a practical perspective and went ahead with the voice of the heart towards the Linea. By now you all would have understood that I am hard to get carried away & can resist temptation when it relates to finances so the deal on the plot is already materialized and I closed that deal as well recently :-).

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-linea2.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-sunrise-1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-view-grass.jpg

This is my first Fiat and I don't want to sound a fan boy so early and it would not be apt to draw conclusions on the car without an ownership experience. Having said this, I would now capture some likes and dislikes about the car.

Amazing Looks - Nobody can deny the fact that Fiat knows more than a thing or two about design. You can easily identify a Linea in the crowd because of the striking visual appeal and for sure, it is a head-turner.

Build quality - The massive thud is hard to miss every time one shuts any of the doors. The thick metal not only keeps the occupants safe but insulates most of the external noises. The stalks are of good build and the hydraulic steering is a champion in the segment.

Stability - The car is pretty heavy, which helps it stay planted at high speed and gives you great confidence to push it.

Ride quality - Most of us agree that the ride quality is known to be one of the best in the segment. Bad patches and pot hole-filled roads are no more concerning.

Braking - Amazing braking ability and the car holds to the tarmac in the best possible way when the middle peddle is pushed hard.

Clutch - I am not boasting, but the clutch on this diesel can put clutches from some petrol engines to shame.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-long-view.jpg

Dislikes

Turgo Lag - Very evident in lower rpms and for sure is painful in heavy traffic.

Sound quality - from the speakers could be better.

Rear leg room - Thankfully we don't have any 6-footers in the family and we can manage with the available space. Headroom could have been better.

Driver arm rest - god alone knows what was going through the designer's mind when they were cutting this so short and making it almost useless.

High boot loading lip - it would take some effort to load those heavy bags.

Orange Dial light - I loved the blue in Honda very much and I am still to get adjusted to this.

Interior space - The car is the longest in the segment. However, the Italians should attend some special classes about space management from the Japs (Honda, Nissan & Toyota).

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-early-morning-2.jpg

Details on the interiors.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-interior1.jpg

Perfectly laid out center console.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-interior-2.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-interior-3.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-interior-4.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-interior-5.jpg

Nicely designed AC vents.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-ac-vents-1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-ac-vents-2.jpg

Rear AC vent.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-rear-ac.jpg

Aux & USB place holder.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-aux-usb.jpg

Leather-wrapped gear knob, 12 V point, everything looks perfectly in place.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-center.jpg

Nicely designed dials - we all love to have the thermostat on the console, don't we?

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-dials.jpg

Rear center arm rest with proper cup holders.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-rear-arm-rest.jpg

Rear view mirror.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-rear-view-mirror.jpg

Driver & passenger sun visors.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-driver-sun-visor.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-passenger-sun-visor.jpg

Rear seat roof lamp.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-rear-seat-light.jpg

Height adjustment leavers feel nice and durable.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-seat-adjustment.jpg

Seat belt height adjustment.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-seat-belt-height-adj.jpg

Rear head rests showing max & min travel range.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-seat-head-rest.jpg

Excellent bolstering on the seats makes the drive very comfortable.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-seats.jpg

Control stalks are built to last.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-stalk1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-stalk2.jpg

Steering wheel and both air bags.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-steering.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-airbag-2.jpg

Recommended tyre pressures.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-tyre-preassures.jpg

Missing sun glass holder on dynamic version.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-missing-sun-glass-holder.jpg

We shall move to the exterior again & the car is no doubt the heaviest in the segment for all the obvious reasons.

15-inch alloys wheels - I admit the 16-inchers looks a lot better.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-alloys.jpg

Antenna not too much to my liking, a smaller stub-type would have looked better.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-antenna.jpg

Panel gaps - what are they? Look at the properly aligned chrome beading which enhances the looks.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-beading.jpg

LED blinkers on the OVRM's look awesome. However, the chances of damage to them is more probable due to the unforgiving 2-wheelers on our roads.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-blinker.jpg

Simple fog lamp design with the nicely tucked in tow hook.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-fog-lamp.jpg

Elegant head lamps and tail lamps.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-head-lamps.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-multijet-tail-lamp.jpg

Humongous 500L boot.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-1.jpg

Tool kit strapped - I agree some competitors have the tool kits placed in a much better way.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-2.jpg

Two hydraulic leavers supporting the heavy boot door. Also note the hydraulic leavers are an advantage as they don't eat up boot space unlike the metal hinges.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-3-hydralic.jpg

Proper boot door cladding which is missing even 12 lakh+ rupee cars.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-clading.jpg

The heart which also powers the cars from the most selling brands in India.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-multijet-badge.jpg

Spacious engine bay.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-engine-bay1.jpg

Notice the heavy metal bar which will safeguard the vital parts on unavoidable front collision.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-engine-bay-metal-bar.jpg

Check the space between the radiator and the engine assembly.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-engine-bay-space.jpg

Proper bonnet door cladding.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-engine-cladding.jpg

Rear hard plastic cladding.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-rear-cladding.jpg

All the options available on the MID.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-2.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-3.jpg

Average fuel efficiency trip A.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-4.jpg

Instant fuel consumption - I am liking this option and this is helping me practice economical driving. I know, you guys would be thinking I cannot sprint anyways with the 1.3L and the bulk which is true anyways ;-).

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-5.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-6.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-7.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-8.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-10.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-mid-11.jpg

Smaller yet significant things (copy right infringement from GTO :-)).

All the arm rests on the doors are cushioned and would be comfortable on long drives, unlike the plastic arm rests on almost all the cars now-a-days.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-arm-rest-cushion.jpg

The levers for boot release, fuel lid and bonnet are all in separate locations and unless someone is out of his mind, there is no way he will ever open the wrong door (a common concern on most of the cars).

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-release.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-boot-open-foot-well.jpg

Sensors for monitoring.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-sensor-2.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-sensor.jpg

Full metal engine guard.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-full-metal-engine-guard.jpg

The Linea is a long car and it needs decent parking space. Thankfully, we have a parking yard (pushing the limit ;-)) at home, sharing space with the Santro.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-parking.jpg

At home.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-house-front.jpg

Pictures showing the view from the top.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-top-view-1.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-top-view-2.jpg

My four year old wanted a picture of his bicycle with the big grey.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-cycle.jpg

A random picture.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-view-3-into-sun.jpg

Thank you all for reading :).

Let me be the first to congratulate you and wish you a great ownership experience. An extensively detailed thread which i loved going through and you initial elaboration on the process of going through all the options and then getting back to the car was interesting to go through and very familiar as i was tossing and turning myself similarly prior to buying my jet. Congratulations again!

It's been close to a month and the car now has a little more than 2000 km on the odo. I also had an opportunity to take the car on the highway a few weeks back. The drive covered over 900 km and my observations over the past 1 month are captured below.

Observations
Issues identified
No major issues surfaced so far except the below minor things.

- The right rear passenger seat belt was not locking in a proper fashion. Thankfully, everyone at home is used to seat belts even in the rear and hence, this for me, was a priority. On advice from Krishna I tried the alternate lock and it worked, on a quick visit to the FASS i got the actual clip fixed as well.

- Leak in the wiper washer fluid compartment. It was observed that all the water being poured into this compartment was draining out. I took the car to Ankitha Motors and as suspected, it was the drain pipe which was not properly connected. They reconnected the pipe and refilled the water and its all good now.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-pic.jpg

As mentioned in the earlier post, the car did a 900 km marathon run on the highway recently and below are some pictures from the drive.

Important note : All the pictures posted below are either taken when I am not driving or when the car is standing still.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road-3.jpg

During the drive the car completed the 1000 km & 1500 km marks. A customary picture was taken. Please note the instant consumption showing the max 50 kmpl.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-1000km.jpg

The 1500 km mark & ACA.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-1500-km.jpg

Average fuel consumption 23.9 kmpl as per the MID after the first 230 km of the highway run.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-230-km.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-230-km-aca-23.9.jpg

The car getting some rest when we took a break for lunch.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road-sideprofile.jpg

Some pictures from the drive.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road2.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road1.jpg

Excellent roads continued all through the journey.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road-5.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road6.jpg

@ the 99 km milestone from Hyderabad.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-road-99-long.jpg

We maintained pace with peace and most of the time cruised at 90 kmph a shade under the 2500 rpm mark. Check the IC which hovered constantly above 20 kmpl due to the sedate driving style.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-pp2.jpg

Average FE for the trip as per MID.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-trip-avg.jpg

The car crossed the 2000 km mark over the last weekend during a 100+ km (two way) drive to Shamirpet. A couple of pictures taken to mark the occasion.

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-2000km-mid.jpg

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-2000km-car.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your new Linea pdma !
It looks good and is a very good package overall. A great buy for 9.5L OTR clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdma (Post 3649515)

Now for many of you who are thinking how did my practical mind allowed me to decide on the Linea which is not known to command good resale, this is what I had in mind when the decision was made. Iam saving a straight 3 L ( if I opted out of the Honda City - 12.5 L for SV) as I would pay 9.5L OTR for the Linea. Moreover Linea appealed to the heart, hence we have decided to go with it as it suited all our requirement. By now you all would have understood that Iam hard to get carried away & can resist temptation when it relates to finances

I think we both share the same mentality regarding cars ! We love our vehicles but yet want to get the most of what we have bought. I have a certain 'soft corner' for the cars that are unable to sell in huge numbers (due to various reasons) but are excellant VFM and meet the requirements well. I decided to look above this 'resale' clause and went ahead to buy the chevy spark in 2010 due to the sheer value of the product (in terms of my requirements) and the fact that i was offered a good deal. Inspite of the dismal numbers that the spark manages today, i would still recommend it to someone who wishes to own a product, that makes him happy and doesn't go according to the market trend. :OT

Congratulations on your new ride, pdma!
I tested the Linea way back in 2011 and I have to say; despite me being a 6 footer and my legs digging into the front seat, I found the backseat of the Linea more comfortable than the 3rd Gen Honda City (which was at the time, benchmark for its comfortable rear seat).

Build quality has always been Linea's strength, and I believe that at this price point, it is the best built car available in the market.

The new Linea was in to my office for display recently, and the only sore points I found were the lack of headroom while being seated in the front seat (Wait, I can't grow tall at this age! Did Fiat jack the seats up? stupid: ) and the interior quality that needs a bit more improvement (PS: I'm a big time VW fan).

Appreciate that you do enjoy driving sedately and put emphasis on safety features of the car. When someone asks for my opinion on a particular car they are going to buy, I always shout "get the variant with ABS and Airbags" :)

Enjoy your new ride and keep the odometer clicking ! Please do update this thread with your experience.

Very nice review. Thank you for sharing. I too did all my test drives on the Banjara Hills roads before deciding on the Avventura. The Linea is a superb car in its segment and is real value for money. I have driven a friend's Linea and absolutely loved it.

Congratulations on the purchase. May you have many miles of trouble free and enjoyable driving.

36/33 psi? Has it changed in the 2014 model? I have the 2009 model which says 30/28 psi. I cannot imagine the ride quality at 36 psi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdma (Post 3649543)
Details on interiors.

Recommended tyre pressures.

Attachment 1341999

Congrats pdma! :D

This is just the car I was negotiating on.

Sadly- In my case, the Linea's length is the only bane. It is too huge to fit into my parking slot. Ouch.

Enjoy her- It ain't a car, for goodness sake. 'Tis a masterpiece, the rarest of rare car that is stable, handles exceptionally, looks awesome, feels even better, and yeah- The mileage. Ruddy excellent.

A rare car- A true fusion of an awesome piece-of-art- by Rodolfo Benetto, and our famed Giorgetto Giugiaro.

If this were the official FinMobile- I'd install this badge:

My 2014 Grey Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD-220pxlotus_esprit_06.jpg

It ain't a car- 'Tis a piece of art!