Team-BHP - The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/173454-love-my-life-2000-maruti-800-dx-5-speed-edit-gets-export-model-features-pg-27-a-56.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntPaul (Post 4901492)
Little sad to see GG getting a jammed brake given how impeccably maintained the car is. If the brake fluid is flushed as per schedule, any idea what more can be done to prevent this, other than frequent usage?

The rust deposits on the caliper piston is the result of a legacy that goes back to the time when the car was relatively new and not directly under the care of Shashi :) Unfortunately the MASS didn't perform a fluid flush as requested then. Also, damage to the fluid occurs with or without use because the fluid is hygroscopic. It is the moisture in the fluid that caused the damage. Usage only accelerates the deterioration. Maximum deterioration is in the caliper where the fluid experiences very high temperatures and moisture accumalates. Hence it is very important to perform a brake fluid flush every 2-3 years.

Quote:

Also curious why all 4 flexible hose got replaced. I am trying to understand if brake line is also wearing part (with age) since its a safety critical part. I do not find any mention in user manuals. Also, is there any noticeable improvement in braking after changing them? Newer ones should flex lesser than old ones under braking.
Hoses are made of synthetic rubber and like all things rubber they deteriorate with age and use. Bad hoses can bulge or at worst spring leaks and let in air into the system. In this case however it is the heat generated by the stuck piston that could have caused damage to the part. Hence all were changed as a pre-emptive measure.

Most brake system parts, except ABS assemblies, are moderately priced. Keeping the brakes (and tyres!) in top shape is an absolute must. Don't compromise here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4548679)
TVS Apache branded brakes are the best I have used till date clap:

I was using TVS Girling brake pads from MGP, while they were good, better brakes never hurt. A friend was mighty impressed by the TVS Apache branded brakes on his Swift, and I wanted to check if the material used was the same. It indeed appeared same.

Thanks for the detailed review of the "TVS Apache Brake Pads". I recently changed by brake pads of Swift Dxire Vxi from Rane to TVS Apache. The result is astonishing. No more squeaking sounds on applying brakes even on the hard brakes.

Previously I had ordered Brembo which does cost a fortune but they were out of stock at the time of delivery and could not get them anywhere in Pune. I had to again search good alternate option online. The TVS Apache is worth it.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by askrahul (Post 4923119)
Thanks for the detailed review of the "TVS Apache Brake Pads". I recently changed by brake pads of Swift Dxire Vxi from Rane to TVS Apache. The result is astonishing. No more squeaking sounds on applying brakes even on the hard brakes.

Previously I had ordered Brembo which does cost a fortune but they were out of stock at the time of delivery and could not get them anywhere in Pune. I had to again search good alternate option online. The TVS Apache is worth it.

Glad you liked them. In Apache Range they have many series like Dura, Super and Hyper. Hyper is the best of them all while Dura is economy spec. However all are better than your usual pads. Do try to find Hyper once this pad wears out. You'll love it even more.

Regards,
Shashi

I could get Super one through online seller.

Next time I will try the Hyper series.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20201108_013528.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4923133)
Glad you liked them. In Apache Range they have many series like Dura, Super and Hyper. Hyper is the best of them all while Dura is economy spec. However all are better than your usual pads. Do try to find Hyper once this pad wears out. You'll love it even more.

Regards,
Shashi

Do the TVS apache brake have a website where we can see the vehicles on which these pads are available for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4927056)
Do the TVS apache brake have a website where we can see the vehicles on which these pads are available for?

No, unfortunately I'm yet to come across one.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4936607)
No, unfortunately I'm yet to come across one.

Regards,
Shashi

Did some digging around.

The top end brake pads are Hi-Per and not hyper. They are ceramic brake pads but not available for all car models.

Apart from boodmo, the below website sells the TVS Apache brake pads

https://mark1india.com/

The 'Super' variant is available for many cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4545571)
All export models, and some sold in India during 2003 or 2004, got mirrors which said "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" and they are a bit expensive than the standard mirror. Costs around Rs. 300 IIRC. I have it on my car, but never posted about it as the project is still incomplete. Reason being, the LHS ORVM supply by MSIL has stopped for the export market. Hence my car is now on convex mirror on the RHS side, and stock simple mirror on the LHS side. lol:

Sorry to dig up an old post but did you manage to find the LHS mirror? I found the RHS one but am having difficulty finding the other. Could you share the part number with me if you know what it is? Thank you so much for all the valuable information.

Hi Shashi,

I am intrigued by Apache "Super" brake pad. I have never been entirely satisfied with the braking performance of my 06' Esteem. The pad were replaced recently at MASS. Its must be an MGP one I assume. I was amazed when driving by brother's Celerio and Alto 800 current gen(that was a surprise). The Alto's brakes were effortless to use compared to Esteem even though the grip from the tire was hopeless. That got me thinking of my poor old Esteem's brakes, both bite and effort.

These are the upgrade options I am exploring:
  1. Pads (like Apache Super):
    In Mark1india, I see one listing for esteem, its grade is mentioned as 'Apache 576'. In a tvs girling catalogue that google found, I see another grade 'Apache 522/12 TR'. Any idea if any of these two are "Super"?
    https://mark1india.com/products/tvsg...a0ab9a83&_ss=r
  2. Better brake lines (braided lines/new one, MGP):
    Not sure how much improvement to be expected, and I am scared about impact on reliability
  3. Vacuum booster (if direct fit MGP is available with larger diaphragm):
    The brake pedal effort feel much lesser when I rev harder through the gears shifting 1->2->3 at 4k rpm and then settling down to ~2k rpm in 5th. Reduced effort last only for 1 brake application.
    I get the feeling that brake booster is not giving enough boost below 3k rpm. I spend most of the time in 1.5k to 2K rpm range when driving in city.

Your comments will be appreciated.

PS: Sorry about misusing to ownership thread stupid:

Thanks,
Antony

It has been quite a while since we have heard of GG. Any updates on it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi9044 (Post 5017039)
It has been quite a while since we have heard of GG. Any updates on it?

GG is enjoying it's much deserved retired life, but I often take it out to stretch her legs, at least once every 2 weeks.

Some pics, please ignore the wrinkles as it was taken on the day it came to me. Now it fits beautifully:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20201102_145753.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20201102_145806.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20201102_145824.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210113_172233.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210113_172246.jpg

Also when GG was parked for extended periods, I couldn't see her all covered in dust, so invested in TPH's Aqua King. Only reason of going with their slightly premium cover was cotton lined inner surface which is gentle on paintwork, compared to cheaper covers. Also got it customised with old Maruti winged logo. :)

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210211_163002.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210211_163016.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210211_163613.jpg

XL6 remains deprived of this love :D

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20210211_163028.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 5017896)
GG is enjoying it's much deserved retired life, but I often take it out to stretch her legs, at least once every 2 weeks.

Off topic but how sad that such a nice spot is polluted with plastic bottles, cutlery, paper plates etc. :Frustrati

Hi LeoShashi, wanted some help with the brakes of my car.

It's a Sept 2003 Mfd. 4 Speed Carb. 800 . I would like to thank you for the help On PM several times when the car broke down, etc.

I drove the car a few days ago and the brakes have become ROCK HARD. The pedal just doesn't move.
I want to see what I can do about this issue, and then go ahead with the Brake Booster From the later Maruti 800 upgrade / retrofit whenever time permits. Could you please shed some light on how I can diagnose the Hard Brake pedal and then how I should go about the retrofit.

My cousin who drives this car more regularly has accustomed to this and has his foot completely in the air to stand on the pedal when required, this doesn't let him drive with his heel on the floor of the car since it's a habit now.rl: that doesn't let him finely apple brakes in the other cars he drives. Which have much more sensitive brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 5018208)
Off topic but how sad that such a nice spot is polluted with plastic bottles, cutlery, paper plates etc. :Frustrati

Indeed. It's a lovely place, but is littered with all sort of ugly things. Broken glass of beer bottles is equally dangerous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viXit (Post 5021093)
I drove the car a few days ago and the brakes have become ROCK HARD. The pedal just doesn't move.
I want to see what I can do about this issue, and then go ahead with the Brake Booster From the later Maruti 800 upgrade / retrofit whenever time permits. Could you please shed some light on how I can diagnose the Hard Brake pedal and then how I should go about the retrofit.

Most likely issue is with your Master Cylinder. If it is faulty, better upgrade to Brake Booster rather than investing 800-900 rupees in normal master cylinder. Kindly get the brakes diagnosed first, if you need to upgrade to Boosters, please let me know, I'll make a detailed post on the same.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 5021464)

Most likely issue is with your Master Cylinder. If it is faulty, better upgrade to Brake Booster rather than investing 800-900 rupees in normal master cylinder. Kindly get the brakes diagnosed first, if you need to upgrade to Boosters, please let me know, I'll make a detailed post on the same.

Regards,
Shashi

Could you tell me what I could do to troubleshoot.

I would like to pick a weekend and do all the things you tell me to.

I aim to do a proper servicing for the brakes to see how much of a difference it makes. I go not expect to spend anything on this except maybe for some grease or brake fluid. If I can bring the brakes to factory condition by some servicing, I can ask my grandfather to see how he likes it, and then will try to take a call on the upgraded brake booster.

A detailed guide with pictures would be tremendously helpful. Please post if you can. I'm sure it will help hundreds of people.

Thank you for your help