Team-BHP - The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/173454-love-my-life-2000-maruti-800-dx-5-speed-edit-gets-export-model-features-pg-27-a-63.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4399796)
The part numbers are 990J0M999H2-930 for Rain repellent, and they cost Rs. 450.

Since this part has been discontinued and whichever stock I could find has expired years ago. Does it have any replacement, or for is there any substitute for rain repellent coatings available here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by batish (Post 5555341)
is there any substitute for rain repellent coatings available here?

Yes , I have been using Turtle wax Cleavue rain repellant on my windshield for more than a year and have been happy with it. It's better to clay the windshield and then apply the repellant. One application easily lasts me at least 6 months. Absolutely love driving the Swift during rains after applying this.

It's available on boodmo https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-clea...lent-53990674/

Here's a video I took after the application of Cleavue
https://youtube.com/shorts/Q3srNfBQBoU?feature=share

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Quote:

Originally Posted by batish (Post 5555341)
Since this part has been discontinued and whichever stock I could find has expired years ago. Does it have any replacement, or for is there any substitute for rain repellent coatings available here?

There are many, even a simple wax if applied properly would do the job. :)

In MGA itself, there is a very good glass cleaner which has excellent repelling properties as well: 990J0M999H2-940.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino (Post 5555353)
It's better to clay the windshield and then apply the repellant.

Thank you for suggesting this. Have ordered, will try this soon. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 5555365)
even a simple wax if applied properly

Can simple rubbing compound like Meguiars be used on glass to remove all contaminants? Although I have ordered MGA Oil Film removal compound, but I’m not sure if it would be delivered since it has been discontinued too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by batish (Post 5555371)
Can simple rubbing compound like Meguiars be used on glass to remove all contaminants? Although I have ordered MGA Oil Film removal compound, but I’m not sure if it would be delivered since it has been discontinued too.

Wouldn't recommend any abrasive on windshield, can ruin visibility if not done properly. Use a mild clay with light hands and optimum lubrication if you have too many contaminants. Or a good glass cleaner like Meguiar's would do.

If you have ordered the MGA link I shared above, don't use anything else. It's an excellent cleaner, cuts through all dirt and grime. Sounds like acid when applied. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 5555378)
Wouldn't recommend any abrasive on windshield, can ruin visibility if not done properly. Use a mild clay with light hands and optimum lubrication if you have too many contaminants. Or a good glass cleaner like Meguiar's would do.

If you have ordered the MGA link I shared above, don't use anything else. It's an excellent cleaner, cuts through all dirt and grime. Sounds like acid when applied. :D

I had already ordered 990J0M999H2-950 before posting. :coldsweat Moving 940 to wishlist. Will order after 950 is exhausted. :)

Every time I need to find motivation on maintaining my steeds, a refresher via reading this thread is mandatory.

This thread is akin to Sreten's M539 restorations Youtube channel - How basic and preventative maintenance can prolong the life of one's vehicle.

Good Going!

Revisited this thread after a long time. Congratulations on still being able to maintain it in showroom condition.

The features you have added, just shows how much Maruti deprived Indian customers of.

I saw a Gold Colour 5 Speed for sale on OLX. Something that pops up once in a while. Considering the prices today, it's not bad picking up one. Though finding one in decent condition is a challenge.
I was just wondering it is is possible these days to restore an 800 5 Speed to Showroom condition. Of course with a few functional mods that you have done with having to get parts from Japan.

I noticed that you had changed the grill once and then reverted back to the original one. You never mentioned the reason (or did I miss the post?).

I also noticed the engine bay is painted white. When did that happen?

You had once asked if anyone had the MPFI Euro II sticker which you didn't have. I see you still don't have it on the rear hatch but you have one on the valve cover.

You also mentioned that this car came without the LHS vent and you got it from Japan. However I have seen many cars that actually have this vent. In fact never noticed any car without it

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 4530168)
Let me check my hard disk for photos of the wrapper. I'm sure I clicked some pics.

I had totally forgotten about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque18 (Post 4622719)
The LED brake lights make a mark as does the badge that reads '800i'. Rear wash and wipe together with perfectly integrated fog light on the left of the bumper and rear glass demister removes any doubt you would have that it's a car from a foreign country! 800 in this avatar was neither seen before nor even heard of in our country.

Shashi has mentioned somewhere that even the Indian bumper has a marking to cut out for the fog lamp. There should be a MGP lamp which will fit in that cut and give a similar look. Regarding the wiper, the pic of the KL registered 800 is quite close to OEM except for the modern wiper stalk.

Quote:

We all know that this car has unimaginably clean engine bay so I won't repeat that. But it left me awestruck. How has this guy managed to keep it in such spic n span condition belies all logic. Looks straight out of the oven!
I seriously need to know how the engine bay has been cleaned.

Quote:

Next time anyone sees a golden 800 with BR registration, beware. You might be left embarassed.
BR1N. I used to see a BR1K reg 800 in my town some years ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4829757)
I sincerely urge all BHPians to get this life saver.

I got dash cams installed on my Nexon EV and X1. It has a rear camera too. The Goa Tata EV group did a group purchase of these dash cams after a friend had an accident but the footage saved him. You might have seen the footage on Social media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrolourenco (Post 5588281)
I saw a Gold Colour 5 Speed for sale on OLX. Something that pops up once in a while. Considering the prices today, it's not bad picking up one. Though finding one in decent condition is a challenge.I was just wondering it is is possible these days to restore an 800 5 Speed to Showroom condition.

The M800 5-Speed is just a fantastic vehicle for someone who's looking for a beater/second or third car. Mechanicals of this car are simple, and usually don’t give any trouble. A lot of them were sent to scrapyards quite early due to the 15-year old car ban rule in NCR. Although prices in the second hand market for remaining ones are on the rise, these cars are not likely to go towards collectible status anytime soon. The California Gold shade you have mentioned in the post was sold only till mid-2001.

Quote:

You had once asked if anyone had the MPFI Euro II sticker which you didn't have. I see you still don't have it on the rear hatch but you have one on the valve cover.

The part number for green 'MPi EURO II' sticker was discontinued long ago. Only the early 5-Speeds (till early-2001) came with that particular decal on boot lid.

Quote:

You also mentioned that this car came without the LHS vent and you got it from Japan. However I have seen many cars that actually have this vent. In fact never noticed any car without it.

India-spec 800 never had LHS air-con vent in any variant, our cars had dummy holes instead. Japanese-spec Suzuki Alto had these vents as standard. Many 800 owners in India have tried to fit RHS vent (MGP part) to the LHS hole, but such jobs never looked fine on the 800.

Quote:

I saw a Gold Colour 5 Speed for sale on OLX.

https://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuk...iid-1736520668

Quoted price is 70K but when I spoke to him, he said the AC was not working and he was ready to give for 55K if I do the AC work or 60K if he does it. Car has been repainted and RC is valid till 2025.

Just wondering how much it is worth and how much to offer him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta (Post 5588339)
The M800 5-Speed is just a fantastic vehicle for someone who's looking for a beater/second or third car.

Really don't need another car as I already have 3. Just the thought of a cheap fun car to use occasionally got me interested.

Quote:

Although prices in the second hand market for remaining ones are on the rise,
That what I wanted to know. How much are the going for.

Quote:

these cars are not likely to go towards collectible status anytime soon.
That's what people used to say about RX100's, RD350's, Yezdi's, Rajdoots, Lambretta's etc. Now see the prices.

Quote:

The California Gold shade you have mentioned in the post was sold only till mid-2001.
The car is question is a 2000 model.

Quote:

The part number for green 'MPi EURO II' sticker was discontinued long ago. Only the early 5-Speeds (till early-2001) came with that particular decal on boot lid.
I know. But a nice clear photo is all that's needed to print a replica. In fact if I pick up the car, that's exactly what I'll do for all the stickers.

Quote:

India-spec 800 never had LHS air-con vent in any variant, our cars had dummy holes instead.
Yea. I just rechecked after seeing your post.

Quote:

Japanese-spec Suzuki Alto had these vents as standard. Many 800 owners in India have tried to fit RHS vent (MGP part) to the LHS hole, but such jobs never looked fine on the 800.
3D printing will work?

Greetings Shashi Sir!
Been following your thread from a long time.Are there any updates regarding Golden Goose.
P.S.- I couldn't help but notice that in your very first post you called GG, Golden Cruiser. Was that the first name you thought of calling it?

GG turns 24: GG turned 24 years old on 25th March, unfortunately I was unable to post updates then as I was travelling, but better late than never.

Birthday Girl with her cake:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20240324_190223.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20240324_190227.jpg

Her garage mates:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20240324_190206.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 5744723)
GG turns 24: GG turned 24 years old on 25th March, unfortunately I was unable to post updates then as I was travelling, but better late than never.

Happy 24th Birthday to GG ! Many more years and kms to follow ! :)

Congratulations Shashi :Cheering:

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Congratulations Shashi. GG is not just a well maintained 24 year old car. It’s an ode, an example of love between a man and machine. They say machines are lifeless but sure, cars like these do return the favour. Thanks for updating this thread even though more expensive and modern mates share the garage. This one remains special.

Regards.

Congratulations, dear LeoShashi!! :)

Wishing you and GG many more happy years of ownership.

The gesture of cutting cake over alloy wheel is very thoughtful.

P.S.- Our first car, Maruti 800 (carb model), was purchased around 22-Mar-2000. So its almost same age as yours. We had to let it go in late 2020 due to lack of parking space around our place.