Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2023, 07:28   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Please let me know about the peak value.
It was 105 g/s at full throttle in 4th gear.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:34   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It was 105 g/s at full throttle in 4th gear.
That's really nice.
Should be making about 130hp.

Why don't you go for an air intake?
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 07:55   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's really nice.
Should be making about 130hp.

Why don't you go for an air intake?
I may, if a stock size performance filter is available for this car. I don't think I will go for a open conical type because of the noise and this being a diesel
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:30   #274
BHPian

Quote:
I may, if a stock size performance filter is available for this car. I don't think I will go for a open conical type because of the noise and this being a diesel
My full throttle MAF is about 113.xx g/s.

I'm running a stock size BMF box type filter. Really makes the car breath freely and its pretty evident.
Like decreasing the regenerative powers on EV cars, after letting go of the throttle, engine rpm decreases very freely, gradually as well.
As for the sound, it has none.

Since you are already connected to Wolf, Engineering Exponent can help you sourcing the filter.

Last edited by bhphog : 26th March 2023 at 13:32.
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:37   #275
BHPian

Quote:
My full throttle MAF is about 113.xx g/s.
Your MAF may be higher due to thearian being in Bangalore, which has a lower air density, or differenes in the tune. Air filters are pretty much a scam - a clean OEM one is all you need. You can try a new filter yourself and I guarantee that you'll see similar figures, within the tolerance range.
d3mon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:49   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Your MAF may be higher due to thearian being in Bangalore, which has a lower air density, or differenes in the tune. Air filters are pretty much a scam - a clean OEM one is all you need. You can try a new filter yourself and I guarantee that you'll see similar figures, within the tolerance range.
Agreed.
Probably difference in tune between our cars is the reason.

Absolutely agree that performance air filters in a stock car is useless.
However, in a tuned car wherein the intensity of air suction is increased, performance filters reduce the stress on the engine significantly.

Figures do vary, I have checked this multiple times but yes only in the range of ~5% of the value.

Since I'm tracking my car quite often, it makes sense for me atleast.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 09:01   #277
Senior - BHPian

Sadly the car has been gathering dust most of the time. Work from home and lack of interest to drive in traffic ends up in me taking the car on early morning drives on weekends.
Last Sunday saw me taking the car for a drive on the Kolar highway for around a 90 kms round drive.
It was a fast drive and at times scares me as well mainly because how fast the car picks up speed and maintain it. The mid range has become a riot now with hardly a need to down shift from top gear. The only concern now are the brakes. It definitely needs an upgrade and I have to check my options along with a new set of rubbers.
Once I start braking from high speeds, be it hard or normal braking, leads to brake judder and I end up modulating the brake pedal to reduce that. The braking effect is there, but is not confidence inspiring because of the judder.

Exhaust smoke has slightly increased, not on full throttle, but when the turbo is spooling up which was there earlier too, but less. The exhaust note has increased a bit too after the remap which is obvious on my car becuase it doesn't have the muffler.

Since the car was recently Serviced with fresh oil and with the LM Supertec diesel additive, the NVH was perfect too at all rpms. Unfortunately, the NVH reduces over time mainly because of the semi synth oil, which still works best for me because of the less running.

After a wash last weekend from being covered with dust otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_2837.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 30th April 2023 at 09:03.
tharian is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 14:47   #278
Senior - BHPian

A breakfast drive this morning with two other re-mapped Ford Figo /Aspire.
Had an enjoyable 150 kms round drive on the Old Madras road. Drove the other cars that have upgraded to better brake pads which are non-Ford and realized it is high time I replaced mine. Those felt very confidence inspiring compared to the stock ones on my car which starts juddering after few high speed braking.

Both the cars had the same maps as mine and so it felt similar apart from the floaty feeling at high speeds because of the softer suspension compared to the Sports variant. The roll-on in the fifth gear felt stronger and that is probably because of the smaller wheels.
One thing I realized was that my car smokes quite a bit when the turbo is spooling every time. This began after the last remap. I'll probably have to get this map fine tuned to reduce the smoke.

Car has run 43,300 kms and last fuel efficiency was 15 kmpl which was mainly airport runs and this drive which mainly high speeds. Apart from these drives, the car remains idle.

The other two cars belonged to fellow members Aston Martyr and Evil Messiah.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_3183.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_3185.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 10th June 2023 at 14:50.
tharian is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 19:11   #279
BHPian

Always a good time when meeting with friends and fellow enthusiasts! May I ask what brand of upgraded brake pads are being used.
Old 15th June 2023, 19:42   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
May I ask what brand of upgraded brake pads are being used.
These are Ferodo S brake pads. Costs 2.5k
Will be getting it fitted on my car this weekend and will post a review down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-eba2440263244b23b91447ce3d686c8b.jpeg  

Old 16th June 2023, 10:38   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing I realized was that my car smokes quite a bit when the turbo is spooling every time. This began after the last remap. I'll probably have to get this map fine tuned to reduce the smoke.

I got my Ecosport remapped with the Wolf Stage 1+ a few months back and have noticed this as well. In 2nd and 3rd especially during WOT, there is quite a bit of black smoke which seems to be due to excess fueling.

Have spoken to the Wolf team and they will be making some adjustments on their next visit to Pune. Please report your experience with a fix for this as it should be faster for you being based in Kerala.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 10:47   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I got my Ecosport remapped with the Wolf Stage 1+ a few months back and have noticed this as well. In 2nd and 3rd especially during WOT, there is quite a bit of black smoke which seems to be due to excess fueling.

Have spoken to the Wolf team and they will be making some adjustments on their next visit to Pune. Please report your experience with a fix for this as it should be faster for you being based in Kerala.
Do you see it when the turbo is spooling? Or when in WOT after the turbo is in its max? On my car, there is almost nil smoke when in WOT when the turbo is in it max, it is only after I change gears, or I am rolling on in a gear and accelerate hard, that it smokes. This is a characteristic of this engine and was there even in stock condition but with lesser smoke.
The smoking can also be reduced with lesser accelerator input, but that depends on the driving conditions as well.

I am based in Bangalore and got the last map update from Engineering Exponent and weirdly two other cars that have the same maps don't have this smoking.

Last edited by tharian : 16th June 2023 at 10:58.
Old 16th June 2023, 11:49   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you see it when the turbo is spooling? Or when in WOT after the turbo is in its max? On my car, there is almost nil smoke when in WOT when the turbo is in it max, it is only after I change gears, or I am rolling on in a gear and accelerate hard, that it smokes. This is a characteristic of this engine and was there even in stock condition but with lesser smoke.
The smoking can also be reduced with lesser accelerator input, but that depends on the driving conditions as well.

I am based in Bangalore and got the last map update from Engineering Exponent and weirdly two other cars that have the same maps don't have this smoking.
Yes, when the turbo is spooling - the 2k - 3.5k rpm band during hard acceleration. During normal acceleration I don't see anything (atleast in my mirrors!). My car is running bhp-ian Jithin's map which I think many cars are running but he does not have this issue.
Old 16th June 2023, 12:29   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Yes, when the turbo is spooling - the 2k - 3.5k rpm band during hard acceleration. During normal acceleration I don't see anything (atleast in my mirrors!). My car is running bhp-ian Jithin's map which I think many cars are running but he does not have this issue.
If it is 2k-3.5k rpms that is in the torque band where the turbo is fully spooled up and is mostly due to excess fueling. It is just a matter of getting it fixed by WM and tuning the map.
I guess it also depends on the kms run and engine condition in terms of air filter and oil , which is why it differs from car to car although the map is the same.
Old 4th September 2023, 10:13   #285
Senior - BHPian

Brake pads replaced to Ferodo make for better bite and confidence at speeds.

The stock ones had around 50% or more life left, but they were not great when it came to braking at high speeds. The judder on the pedal and brake fade made braking scary at some unmentionable speeds. Once I drove a remapped Aspire with these pads on the highway few months ago, I decided I required these.
I got the pads couple of months back, thanks to a fellow member who picked them up for me from Engineering Exponents. Since time and distance were an issue for me, the plan was to get them fitted at a close by garage since it is a 15 minutes job. I visited a workshop who recommended disc skimming before replacing the pads and since it was my first visit to this workshop and had to leave my car there, I gave it a skip.
Last weekend I visited EE to get them fitted. Disc rotors were in good condition and didn't require skimming. In city speeds, they feel the same as the stock pads.

I checked with the contact at EE for WolfMoto about the smoke during spooling on the updated map they flashed couple of months ago. I needed the map to be linear as well like the previous one I had. This one has a bit of a lag at low revs and the turbo kicking in a bit too strong for my liking. They said they will work with WM and get a map to address these. For the smoke, they checked the MAP sensor since they tend to cause excess smoking on the TDCi engines, but mine was not dirty since my EGR had been blocked since the car was almost new. The MAF sensor was cleaned and the air filter replaced as well few weeks back since I felt the lag was pronounced at low revs. This helped a bit, but after a Blore-Chennai-Blore trip, I realized it was the map.

The map is otherwise good in terms of power which is more than the previous one and can be felt clearly while driving.
On trip to Chennai, I was doing a constant 2-2.2k and at one point I floored it in 5th gear and with a fully loaded car, it picked up speeds quite well. I got a fuel efficiency of 22 kmpl for the whole trip of around 670 kms.

The car has run 44400 kms.

Reseating the instrument console fuse on the trip which has become a frequent activity because of some interference when using the 12v socket.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-6b320a663f754c00a18722a3c70e7cad.jpeg

The Ferodo S brake pads.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_4043.jpeg

Last edited by tharian : 4th September 2023 at 10:21.
tharian is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks