Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 21:31   #91
BHPian

re: 4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!

Congratulations on completing the magical figure on the beast.
As far as i remember this was the Detroit Diesel power plant which was also found on the Optra Magnum. One of my friend is just about to complete 3 lakh Km on his Optra Diesel
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for a very well maintained car that has served you for so many kilometers. The car is a motivation for me to hold on to my 13 year old Getz.

The old hyundai cars are well built, though not in the league of old Innova. My car was rear ended by a mini bus in a signal. To my surprise, there was not much damage.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 00:05   #93
BHPian

Hope everyone is safe and keeping the distance. I reached Kerala after one month’s stay in Bangalore. My company decided to opt work from home till June 2021 for my dept. Means I will be in Kerala for a long time. Lot of things to worry and manage in Bangalore, flat, properties, vehicles... Since we are here to talk about cars, I will get to that.

My primary drive is a 2014 Octavia manual, ownership experience is a mixed bag, lot of things replaced under warranty and goodwill. Right now, it runs trouble free and there is no guarantee tomorrow will be the same. The only reason I did not go for AT is because of the notorious mechatronics. One less thing to worry about. Since 2018 I was planning to sell the car, no distress sale, if I get a good deal, then sale. In 2019 two times I put ad on OLX and though lot of people were interested, nothing has been finalized. In the mean time I started looking for a new car, obviously, Octavia was the first choice, I mean, I am okay living with it as long as the car is in warranty. Then came BS6 and I thought I will wait and see what the market offers and I am extremely disappointed as a customer looking to buy a diesel car. No Octavia or Jetta. No proper 2.0 diesels, they are almost dead or already died and just waiting for confirmation. In 2019 took a test drive of Seltos AT, since my running has reduced considerably and things will only slow down in the future, I was okay with considering Seltos AT. Then came, brake issues and 3 star safety for a 20lakh vehicle was the final nail in the coffin.

With pandemic everything was put in hold. My brother almost finalized on Altroz diesel and I asked for Harrier AT test drive and I am keeping an open mind. Here is the kicker, all of a sudden out of nowhere; I have two buyers for Octavia. I have not put an ad anywhere, one is my uncle’s friend and other is from friends contact. Both parties have seen my car over the years and ready to pay me the price I am quoting. I was quoting 14lakhs and uncle’s friend is ready to send the money through online. Car is with my uncle now and his friend has driven the car, the car is in top-notch condition now, inside and out and mechanical wise. Other buyer is also okay with the price. I have never been this confused about a car purchase/sale. Let go off Octi, I am left with Elantra in Kerala and no car in Bangalore. Or sell the Octi and use brothers car till I get purchase a new one and I have to actively look and decide for one. To uncle’s friend, I should say yes or no, this month itself. Let’s see what happens, I think I will take a long drive alone and I will get some answer

Back to Elantra, last update was Elantra testing its strength on the wall and coming out with minimal scratches. Entire bumper was properly painted at my friend’s garage and he did a fine job and I am satisfied with the work. Elantra is running everywhere inside Kerala without any complaints… Well, ambient temperature sensor went kaput after 14 years. So after fiddling with the settings, found out that, if I keep it at 17degree, that’s the maximum for this car, it cools, in fact it is freezing everyone if I keep the blower at 3. Any other setting, it is not cooling at all. Outside temperature showing at -23 and varying. First I have ordered the part in boodmo, they sat on it for 30 days and I cancelled the order, next chance was Hyundai’s. They said, we have part in Chennai and it has to reach, okay. Ordered the part and they also sat on it for 45 days. Oh, wait, this part is sharing with i10 grand, Creta, Xcent, Verna , Elantra, Sonata and the list goes on and they can’t get a part from Chennai to Kerala in 45 days! Told them to buzz off. Told my brother to get the part from Malaysia. My brother has business courier coming from Malaysia every month and whatever we require outside business also they arrange, if required. Gave him the order number, here they were asking 1500 for the part and same original part available there for 700rs. Item is shipped and I will get it next week.

How come AC is cooling at 17degree even though the sensor is acting bad? As long as it cools, I am okay with it and will fix the part as soon as possible. Everything else is rock solid, I had been to Kottayam last week, car climbed the ghat section without a sweat in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time. Next year is the FC test and if I do the test, I will keep her for another 5 more years, no doubt about it. I will not sell the car, either scrap it or keep it, I will be the first and last owner of this car. End of story.

Brother got 4 TPMS from Malaysia, two internal and two external. He gave me the external as gift. Truth be told, I don’t need TPMS for a vehicle which has run 4.5lakh without one. The car will do just fine. Since it is external and I don’t have to fiddle with any wiring, I decided to try it. If I were to buy one, I will definitely buy internal one and I will tell you why soon.

First, I went through the manual properly, fixing it is really easy, I did it with in 5 mins for all wheels. Fixed it, tested it, I can’t tell if it is accurate now, I need time to test it and I will update it if I find it necessary. So far everything looks fine, it is showing the temperature, little on the higher side and when the vehicle runs, tire temperature and stuff keep changing, so, it is doing something for sure. It was raining heavily at my place in the evening and the TPMS went through waterproof testing and passed with flying colors, how long it is gonna last is the question.

Biggest con:

EXTERNAL SENSOR NOT PRACTICAL AT ALL

Do not buy external sensor TPMS if you don’t have air compressor at home.

Imagine you’re going to petrol bunk, and checking your tire pressure, you need a special wrench provided by manufacturer to unlock the sensor. Though it can be done within 5 mins for all wheels, it is absurd, you are getting out of the car with a small wrench and unlocking the sensor. Not happening.

On the other hand, if you are at home and got an air compressor like I do, it is a no brainer. All it takes is an extra 5 mins of yours. You can also fix the sensor without the lock, then it will be just like any other cap and anyone can remove it. With locking mechanism, no one can remove it without the wrench. And in India, you better keep it locked.

TPMS is solar powered, so wire free, again, the only reason I went ahead with it was for this. Second, the price, we got it for 700rs Indian money per piece and I checked the price on Amazon, it is a day light robbery of 3-5K. What’s the profit, 500%? I highly doubt they are made in India and even if they are, it is ridiculous. And most of them complain the pressure shows in BAR and there is an option to change to PSI, guess no one is reading the manual?

TPMS is automatically switches off once the car is stationary and as soon as I enter car it get on, how is it happening? Car is not moving, motion sensor?

Did annual service few months back, did that at my trusted FNG, he went with semi synthetic engine oil which got an offer as a dealer price and for me it was same as paying for regular oil price. Last week went for emissions test, before me, a swift diesel was testing and it could not pass the test, while revving it emitted smoke like hell and I think owner is not keeping the car in good condition. There was an argument with shop guy and the car owner and shop guy said if the test is a pass on my car, then other guys car is at fault. He agreed and my car passed the test without a fuss, while revving my car emitted no black smoke and as usual, when I say the mileage of the car, they look at me like, “Yeah, right!” That is till they personally see the ODO. I am used to it by now.

Time for some pictures…. Will update about ambient temperature sensor after the fix.

Paint job after the strength test
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20200913_074231back.jpg

Enjoying the breeze
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20200913_074420front.jpg

Oil color after 1.5K, means engine is still in good nick
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20200919_112909oil.jpg

Air Compressor, get external TPMS only if you have this at home!
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20200919_173601compressor.jpg

TPMS package
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201119_205129cover.jpg

TPMS items, keep that wrench in your car ALL THE TIME
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201119_205259items.jpg

TPMS display in PSI
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201120_174519display.jpg

TPMS external sensor, no, you can't just remove it without the wrench.
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201120_191706tyre.jpg

Ambient temperature sensor acting up... Taken the pic without starting the car
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201120_191757ac.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 08:12   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow that oil color after 1500km is unreal! Even in a new diesel engine the oil gets blackened within a few hundred km after oil change!! What's your secret?
anandpadhye is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 22:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow that oil color after 1500km is unreal! Even in a new diesel engine the oil gets blackened within a few hundred km after oil change!! What's your secret?
Hi, anandpadhye,

I wish I could give you an answer. I have no idea. This is the first time I have ever tried anything other than mineral oil. Due to the high mileage of the car, it used to go for service at least four times a year. So synthetic oil did not make any sense. My mechanic went for semi synthetic this time and it looked like coolant, the color I mean. After the oil change I had an immediate 1400km up and down trip. As you can see, the oil is turning black and yes, even I was thinking why it hasn’t turned to complete black, did not give much thought about it. All I knew is that the engine is still in good condition. Another thing to mention about this engine is, it does not drink oil at all, even at 8K, it will show slight drop at oil stick, this is not the case with my Octi, I have to keep checking and top it up if required.

Last edited by jonesanto : 27th November 2020 at 22:08.
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:17   #96
BHPian

Ambient temperature sensor arrived and installed the new one unsuccessfully… Temperature is still showing in minus this and that. Come to think of it, this started after the wiring work due to rat bite and work was done at Hyundai service in December 2019. It was not minus back then, but the temperature started varying after that. New sensor installed at Hyundai service and they are saying I have to manually reset the AC system and they don’t have the equipment to do it at my town, need to go to Trivandrum for that. I have never heard of an AC system reset before. Anyway, I keep visiting Trivandrum and will try to visit Hyundai service when I get time. Now as usual, temperature is set at 17 and AC is freezing everyone if I keep the blower at two, keeping it at blower speed one all the time. Keep it at 18, it will not cool at all, I need to fix this at some point. Luckily, windows are not fogging up at night, I would have been in some real trouble then.

Given an order from Chennai for this part, it's been more than 100 days, yet to get a call from dealer. No wonder Maruti is number one in India
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201221_185016-sensor.jpg

Tried with boodmo too, cancelled the order after 30 days
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201221_185035-sensor-two.jpg

Did a simple DIY last week, cleaning the windshield washer nozzle. This part was never touched before and it was not spraying water properly, first, I was little hesitant if I would break the plastic clip, but turns out it was the easiest DIY I have ever done. All you need is a cutting player and vinegar to clean the nozzles. Before cleaning, while spraying, the water used to fall on rear windshield, that’s when I thought I should do something about it. After cleaning, the spray range is much better and it is at 90% of its capacity I’d say. This is more than enough for now and it is not spraying to rear windshield anymore.

After removing the washer nozzle
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201227_174047-bonnet.jpg

Just remove the pipe with your hand, don't use any tools, it will easily come out
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201227_174123-inside.jpg

Tools you need
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201227_174133-tools.jpg

vinegar and cola, keep it for 5 mins and you are good to install it back
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201227_174219-cleaning.jpg

My son found some interest in the car now, if given a chance, he’s on top of the car, literally, he’s climbing from front and back.

Junior with Elantra...
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20201204_171723-cliff.jpg

One day I saw him sitting on windshield and playing with wipers. First, I am concerned about he’s slipping falling, second, I hope he doesn’t break anything. Telling him not to climb on the car every time. Elantra started doing duties, gone to lot of places inside Kerala, soon there will be another update. Till then, stay safe and drive safe.

Last edited by jonesanto : 6th January 2021 at 19:22.
jonesanto is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 15:59   #97
BHPian

It's always lovely to see older cars being taken care of this passionately. I wish I could've kept my 2005 Getz until now. Your elantra seems to be in a great state and here's wishing many more fruitful years of ownership. Hyundai truly doesn't build cars like these anymore.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 21:07   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Hyundai truly doesn't build cars like these anymore.
Thanks, createrkid,

How true, I don't think this generation Elantra was a CBU, but I can tell you, it has the build quality of a CBU. Even after all these years and kilometres, the car is still rock solid, of course, I maintain it well, still. I haven't fiddled with any of the electrical's in the car, even audio unit is replaced with plug and play method, each and everything works to this day, have not replaced any switches or anything. Even the floor mats are stock, it is not torned. Finding a replacement for Elantra was a no-brainer, Octavia was the obvious choice, now in 2021 I am still searching for a car that can replace these cars. I am a sedan guy, I know India is going crazy over SUV and crossovers and in our conditions, they do make more sense, but my car will spend 80% of it's time on highways and there is no SUV or crossover can give you the feel a D1 sedan gives at high-speed. Being that said, since there is almost zero options available in D1 segment, I will most likely pick up an SUV as my next car.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:12   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

The ambient temperature sensor is now in stock on Boodmo. LOL.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-sens...bient-6466914/

These parts are always out of stock when you need it
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:21   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The ambient temperature sensor is now in stock on Boodmo. LOL.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-sens...bient-6466914/

These parts are always out of stock when you need it
Are you kidding?

That too "stock offer?" Most likely this will be my cancelled order they are trying to sell on offer

And what is the offer? They are selling it at 70rs more now, when I booked it was some 1470 ish.

Yeah, always out of stock when you need them.
Old 25th January 2021, 18:29   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Are you kidding?

That too "stock offer?" Most likely this will be my cancelled order they are trying to sell on offer

And what is the offer? They are selling it at 70rs more now, when I booked it was some 1470 ish.

Yeah, always out of stock when you need them.
LOL, the "stock offer" means, the item is in stock and will be shipped in a day. Unlike other cases, where the item will need 10-20 days to ship after order placement
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:54   #102
BHPian

Jonesanto,

This is unbelievable. And this thread has my interest because I test drove the Hyundai Elantra CRDI in Bengaluru in 2006 and eventually bought a Toyota Corolla 1.8E that very year.

Still my primary drive but have done about 120K Km on my car since (of course not much in the last 1 year) and looking at this thread looks like I could have driven so much more. The Corolla has been good all through, so not planning to sell.

Amazing maintenance. Congratulations!!

Subbarp
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:23   #103
BHPian

Hi Jonesanto,

Nothing but respect and admiration for you and your machine and wishing you many more miles of togetherness!!

It is posts like these which make long term owners more passionate and gives confidence to maintain and keep their cars longer. Of course it takes a lot of effort and kudos to you for that.

Few days back I was thinking of replacing my 2008 honda city done 150k kms immaculately maintained to the T but reading stuff like this makes me think why not continue. If a Korean can then definitely a Japanese will be able to as well

Thank you and perhaps that is the way to go for me as well ( hopefully )
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your Elantra munching kms happily. I sold mine in Oct 2019 after 14 years. Wow, you got Rs. 14L for your 7 year old manual Octy, you must have maintained it well and must have super persuasive powers!! Your Elantra has usurped the name "Wall" from Rahul Dravid it's really taken the hit well or was the wall waiting to fall??
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
LOL, the "stock offer" means, the item is in stock and will be shipped in a day.
Oh, yeah, got it. Always "in stock" then you DON"T need them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Jonesanto,

This is unbelievable. And this thread has my interest because I test drove the Hyundai Elantra CRDI in Bengaluru in 2006 and eventually bought a Toyota Corolla 1.8E that very year.
Thank you, subbarp, I'd say you made the right decision going with Corolla. That car is still easy to maintain, you will get parts easily, I am not even talking about expense here. That will be another topic altogether. Corolla still has good resale value where in my case resale value is a joke Only reason to pick Elantra over Corolla would've been short term ownership and high mileage, everything else, I'd say, Corolla was the car to go for at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
It is posts like these which make long term owners more passionate and gives confidence to maintain and keep their cars longer. Of course it takes a lot of effort and kudos to you for that.
Thank you, glad to hear my ownership experience giving confidence to people who are planning to hold on to their trusted old machines. If your City is rock-solid there is no reason to part with that car. Relatively, Jap's have better reliability than Koreans and Indian cars, but if maintained well, pretty much any car will easily last 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Your Elantra has usurped the name "Wall" from Rahul Dravid it's really taken the hit well or was the wall waiting to fall??
The Wall, uh? Did I find a name for my Elantra finally? Yes, car took the hit well. Wall might have been weak too, but luckily, the damage was bear minimum.

Ready to get out

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1611990708413.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks