Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 23:36   #31
BHPian

re: 4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Heartiest congratulations on achieving the 400k milestone.

Regarding the scheduled maintenance you mentioned that post 200k kms, you change the oil every 5-8k kms but what was the service duration before 200k kms? Throughout the life of the car what grade of oil have you been using? And do you use synthetic or mineral oil?

Insights regarding scheduled maintenance will be helpful.
Hi, first 200K came in no time, before 5 years itself and the car was relatively new then, so I stick to 10K service, it's after 200K I started changing oil and filters between 5-8K. I did not even give any niggles till about 8 years. After 5 years, I check oil levels at times, check coolant, check steering oil, brake oil, check if there is any leak, all this you can do while you clean your engine bay. I always stick to mineral oil, since I change it very often, there was no need to go for the expensive synthetic oil. Showroom guys tried to push synthetic couple of times and I never vouched. It's is a long ownership, so if you could be more specific I can share my experience and what I did to take care about that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Hey jonesanto, I saw a well maintained gold colour Elantra pass by in Jakkur today at 3:30pm. I dont think there can be anybody else with the same colour Elantra in such a great condition.

If it was your car, then all kudos and respect to you sir. I just hope I could maintain my Cruze for next 6-7 years until I could buy my replacement EV (Hopefully a Tesla). With Chevrolet shut down, maintaining it more than a couple of years from now is going to be a big challenge.
Hi, Holyghost, thanks, my car is in Kerala now, it's so nice to hear there is another Gold color well maintained Elantra in Bangalore. And Cruze, whenever I hear Cruze, the term "Diesel Rocket" comes to my mind. I drove the earlier models and the push it gives once turbo opens was insane. Only D segment sold well for Chevrolet and gave a tough run for Corolla. No other car ever came close. You will soon be going down to my path, maintaining a discontinued car is never easy. Requires a lot of patience, and you should have it in your heart to maintain it. But good thing you're in Bangalore, I am 100% sure, if you can source parts for a really really long time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th May 2018 at 17:40. Reason: break > brake.
jonesanto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 01:09   #32
BHPian

4 lakh Kms in a country where a major chunk of people get jittery at 1 lakh Kms and replace their drives is pretty remarkable. Kudos to you. You have inspired me to hold on to my Getz CRDI(which I don't want to part with) as I was also jittery as the car is approaching the 1 lakh mark. Wishing you many more happy miles.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Hi, Holyghost, thanks, my car is in Kerala now, it's so nice to hear there is another Gold color well maintained Elantra in Bangalore. And Cruze, whenever I hear Cruze, the term "Diesel Rocket" comes to my mind. I drove the earlier models and the push it gives once turbo opens was insane. Only D segment sold well for Chevrolet and gave a tough run for Corolla. No other car ever came close. You will soon be going down to my path, maintaining a discontinued car is never easy. Requires a lot of patience, and you should have it in your heart to maintain it. But good thing you're in Bangalore, I am 100% sure, if you can source parts for a really really long time.
This is the car I spotted yesterday at Jakkur. Sorry for the poor image quality and the wrong dates; my Blaupunkt dashcam has reached its end of life. Also the sun was on the right side causing too much glare.
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-00022593.avi_snapshot_00.01_2018.02.15_11.57.15.jpg

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-00022593.avi_snapshot_00.01_2018.02.15_11.57.53.jpg

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-00022593.avi_snapshot_00.01_2018.02.15_11.58.08.jpg
Very surprised to hear that it was not your car. That means there is someone else in Bangalore who did a similar hard work and had the patience to manage this car. The car I saw was also well maintained and looked majestic in its gold colour.

Last edited by Holyghost : 15th February 2018 at 12:08. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 12:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on maintaining, retaining and driving a car for such a long duration.
I firmly believe that if a car is driven carefully, and routene maintenance done on time it should last a lifetime. You prove the point.
Till date I have used many cars, but I normally hand them over to my sales or service staff once I do 1 to 1.5 lakh km, they put the car for to a similar usage before we sell it. The max we have done with a single car before sale is 3.24 Lakh in the 2005 Indica and 1.9 Lakh in Innova. The Innova would have run much more, but one of our drivers wanted to buy it from us and re register as a cab, and offered a really good price.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 14:27   #35

Wow!! amazing!! You are an inspiration, Sir. I would like to maintain my cars in the same way as you did (don’t know if I will be able to manage). We also have one Hyundai Accent petrol that we purchased in March 2003, which has done around 1,50,000 Kms without any major issues till date. The maximum repairing bill that I got once was Rs. 40,000 which was getting my suspension issues sorted. Due to this reliability experience, we went ahead to book Hyundai Fluidic Verna in 2012. It is a November 2012 SX(O) diesel which is almost 1,25,000 kms now and we intend to have it for a long….long time. No major issues with Verna yet except for the steering (EPS) failed which costed me Rs. 8,500 which I got from a mechanic in Jogeshwari (W), Mumbai. One issue that I will have to sort out immediately is changing of suspensions. If someone could suggest me something better than the original fluidic set up wherein the bouncy nature of the car minimises, would be great. We also have 2015 purchased Wagon R which does smaller duties compared to the Verna.

My primary inspiration of having the cars for such longer period came from Team-Bhp’s thread on how it is cheaper to maintain a car than buy a new one. That article made me realise that it would be such a waste of money (my personal opinion) to keep changing cars frequently.
Old 15th February 2018, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Holyghost, by looking at the pic I can see that it is an earlier model. 04, 05 models came with black beading on the bumper. 06 and 07 without beading, if you look at my car bumper you will see that.

Rahul Rao, that is an awesome mileage for an Indica, was it a white board? T badge is master when it comes to reliability, 200K is nothing for an Innova

akshaysawant, thanks, I have never driven accent petrol, but heard nice things, Accent is cheap to maintain even now, it sold considerably in good numbers so availability of parts should not be an issue. Earlier model Fluidic Vernas are knows for bumpy ride, I am not sure if we can do anything about it. It's a beautiful car, will serve you for a long time.

Some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180212_163952.jpg  

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180215_090841.jpg  

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180215_090856.jpg  

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180215_070450.jpg  

jonesanto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 16:01   #37
BANNED

Hello there, after looking at the review, I am really surprised to see and am in real shock as i preowned the 2007 Elantra of NRI with just 23000 kms when i bought and sold it at arounf 79000 kms in fear that hyundai dont last much, I really think made a mistake. And hats off to you for using a premium sedan for 400k kms. Congrats once again. Drive safe.
patel8585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 17:00   #38
BHPian

4L on the odo is amazing. But more amazing is the fact that those 4L have been made on Indian roads and it's still going strong. Wish you more and more of happy and safe miles with this machine.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 17:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel8585 View Post
Hello there, after looking at the review, I am really surprised to see and am in real shock as i preowned the 2007 Elantra
Thank you, Patel, even I did not think the car would perform splendidly. Being it is a single owner car definitely helped in the longer run. I could maintain it well from day one. Yours was a CRDi? 79000 kms is not a huge mile for Elantra, I am sure it should have covered so much more if you were to keep it. Hope you enjoyed the time you had with the vehicle.
Old 16th February 2018, 18:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post

Rahul Rao, that is an awesome mileage for an Indica, was it a white board? T badge is master when it comes to reliability, 200K is nothing for an Innova
The Indica was just a work horse, our aim was something with 4 wheels and an effecient diesel engine to take our people from point A to B safely. Electronics were not required, every 60k to 70k km struts, bushes, tierods , tyres, break pads etc were replaced weather required or not. While selling it in 2012 the buyer commented that this cars with 3.24 Lakhs is better kept than most cars 80k km.
Innova is a different case, Reply 564 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4345855 in this thread proves it, but the excellent resale value due to the regular increase in price makes it tempting to replace. The car purchased just under 9 lakhs and odd was sold for 7.5 though new was above 14 by then.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 20:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
.. the excellent resale value due to the regular increase in price makes it tempting to replace. The car purchased just under 9 lakhs and odd was sold for 7.5 though new was above 14 by then.
I think Innova is the only vehicle in India which has that kind of resale value. I can't say the same about Innova Crysta, the price has gone sky-high, it is now a 25 lakh car. Let's say I used it for 4 years and covered 200K, I don't think I will get 20 lakh when I sell it, it will be much lower, because irrespective of the fact how good the vehicle is, 20 lakh is a lot of money and for that amount, I will have lot of other choices, especially to buy a new car. May be I am wrong, only time will tell.

Last edited by theMAG : 17th February 2018 at 05:07. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 16th February 2018, 20:57   #42
BHPian

WOW! Congrats on hitting the 4,00,000 mark and for maintaining it in such a pristine condition.

Driving 35,000kms a year is very impressive too compared to my average of 5,000-8000kms a year.

Well done! Please do not sell the car and please update the thread regularly.
Old 17th February 2018, 23:10   #43

Had seen these sort of kms in Elantra n sonatas in the usa.
Congratulations on 4L kms.
To these days the build quality of these older Hyundai's have been amazing.
I have a 2003 sonata gold ef 2.0 petrol,no diesel back then.. however iv just clocked 40000 kms only. 15 yrs now and the car is still a gem.

Wrt brakes i find it really surprising that you praised the brakes so much. Even with 4 discs on Elantra n sonata. Never felt that confident. Has always had a woody feel or sometimes spongy.

Santoosh
Old 20th February 2018, 15:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Wow, 4lakh kms is indeed some mileage.

An airport taxi that I took in Serbia many years ago was an Elantra having 3lakh odd kms on the odometer. But was so beautifully maintained that did not look/seem like it had been driven around so much.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 17:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
WOW! Congrats on hitting the 4,00,000 mark and for maintaining it in such a pristine condition.

Driving 35,000kms a year is very impressive too compared to my average of 5,000-8000kms a year.

Well done! Please do not sell the car and please update the thread regularly.
Thanks, Paradiddle, I've no plans to sell the car. I am planning to do some work on Elantra this year, front suspension is little weak, I can hear some sound while going through bad roads, clutch may need some work, I've to check with my mechanic. Sure, I will update the thread regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoosh View Post
Had seen these sort of kms in Elantra n sonatas in the usa.
Congratulations on 4L kms.
To these days the build quality of these older Hyundai's have been amazing.
I have a 2003 sonata gold ef 2.0 petrol,no diesel back then.. however iv just clocked 40000 kms only. 15 yrs now and the car is still a gem.

Wrt brakes i find it really surprising that you praised the brakes so much. Even with 4 discs on Elantra n sonata. Never felt that confident. Has always had a woody feel or sometimes spongy.

Santoosh
Hi, santoosh, I agree with you on the build quality, even now the car rattles only when it is stressed otherwise it's rattle free. About the brakes, spongy feeling is something you'll get used to, I was talking about the cars ability to stop. From 3 digit seeped it can come to a halt in no time, like I said, age has taken its toll, but I am satisfied with the brakes even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, 4lakh kms is indeed some mileage.

An airport taxi that I took in Serbia many years ago was an Elantra having 3lakh odd kms on the odometer. But was so beautifully maintained that did not look/seem like it had been driven around so much.
Thanks, supremeBaleno, conditions in Serbia would've been much better I think, in India, conditions are really harsh and very difficult to clock anything above 300K. If maintained properly, this car can hide its age really well

Most Viewed