Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 23:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
From your and many other reviews, I thought BMW LEDs are excellent.
Its because 330i GT has reflector based headlights.

On my F48 X1, its Projector based LED setup. Lights up road very well and for a long distance. Plus high beam is instant and a few flickers on the stalk make people start giving way.

Projector based light setup will always be superior. Projector+LED is best.

Surprising higher models/variants using reflector based lighting setup.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:31   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
But what I do find (and I might be totally wrong), above 100 when you keep the high beam on, the beam is quite good and more than sufficient.
By 100 you mean 100kmph? Or 100 meters? I have been only driving in the city, need to take her to highway and ghats in the night to see how the high beam performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
In the non adaptive LEDs (like on the f30 lci), there is a single reflector, which apart from having a separate led for the high beam, the reflector itself changes angle about a quarter of a second after high beam is engaged. This is unlike the adaptive LEDs which have a different reflector itself, and a much more powerful high beam.
Interesting info. So apart from reflector design, the high beam LED spec is also different? Is the LED on the GT of higher wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

On my F48 X1, its Projector based LED setup. Lights up road very well and for a long distance. Plus high beam is instant and a few flickers on the stalk make people start giving way.

Projector based light setup will always be superior. Projector+LED is best.

Surprising higher models/variants using reflector based lighting setup.
I saw projector + LED setup on the Passat and the sale guy was telling me it's super effective. Good you have got the same. Sad that BMW has given that on X1 but not on the 3.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 17th January 2019 at 11:32.
Old 21st January 2019, 13:05   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From your and many other reviews, I thought BMW LEDs are excellent. Is there a way to adjust the beam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The headlights on the GT are adaptive lights and are based on reflectors. But they are very powerful. I can see a totally dark object like a lorry with no reflectors or lights whatsoever a very far distance away easily. These lights make my night driving so much comfortable and safe. Also, I don't think there is anyway to adjust these beams.

Anand, like Dr.AD mentioned in his ownership thread, usually when there are no objects to reflect the lights on the roads you will not even feel that the high beam is on. But when the beam hits objects, that is when you will see the beam. However, if the light is designed such that the high beam overlaps with the low beam and also lights up the road extending the low beam (maybe the projectors do this), that will be much better as well.

And congratulations on your Mumbai marathon

Insurance Renewal:

On another note, the insurance renewal for the GT is coming up in 3 weeks. The BMW dealer has sent me the below quote.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-bmw-insurance.jpg

Following are some observations / questions that come to my mind.

1. BMW secure seems to primarily cover alloys and tire damage, and road side assistance. Do regular zero dep policies have these options as addon? If yes, are the road side assistance programs of insurance providers as good as manufacturers?
2. How much depreciation should there be on the IDV compared to the purchase price?
3. An advantage of getting the policy renewed from the dealer is for the cashless cover benefit. But how much premium do they charge for this convenience?

As I have read in SanthoshBhat's ownership thread about his experience getting insurance from outside, I am going to get quotes from other insurance providers as well and see how much savings can be made compared to the dealer's quote and how much value is cashless worth.

Also, what are the add-on's should I be looking for while getting quotes from other insurance providers?

Last edited by graaja : 21st January 2019 at 13:07.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 14:36   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Insurance Renewal:

On another note, the insurance renewal for the GT is coming up in 3 weeks. The BMW dealer has sent me the below quote.
Attachment 1839349

Following are some observations / questions that come to my mind.

1. BMW secure seems to primarily cover alloys and tire damage, and road side assistance. Do regular zero dep policies have these options as addon? If yes, are the road side assistance programs of insurance providers as good as manufacturers?
2. How much depreciation should there be on the IDV compared to the purchase price?
3. An advantage of getting the policy renewed from the dealer is for the cashless cover benefit. But how much premium do they charge for this convenience?

As I have read in SanthoshBhat's ownership thread about his experience getting insurance from outside, I am going to get quotes from other insurance providers as well and see how much savings can be made compared to the dealer's quote and how much value is cashless worth.

Also, what are the add-on's should I be looking for while getting quotes from other insurance providers?
I have found dealer's insurance quotes to be always higher. I recently renewed my X3's 4th year insurance with HDFC ergo and for ref the amount paid is about 89k with IDV of about 37.40L. This is with zero dep + consumables + engine cover. And do note my NCB is zero since I made a small claim last year.

Coming to your queries
  1. I don't know whether outside of secure you can get coverage for alloys and tyres. You will need to check that. Road side assistance from insurance companies is limited in scope. They usually limit it to within 50 to 100 kms of assistance site and workshop. More details Here
  2. IDV for first year is 95% of Ex Showroon. Thereafter there is a depreciation chart for IDV calculation. It is something like 10 to 15% year on year.
  3. I have found that BMW dealers have cashless facility with most major insurance companies. It has nothing to do with who is the agent on the policy. If BMW has a cashless tie up with ICICI Lombard, it does not matter whether you bought the insurance through the dealer or on your own. The wording in the quote is just to scare you! Insurance companies pay commissions and the dealer loads his commission in the premium. Take a quote from ICICI website. The difference is dealer commission

I suggest avoid secure (too expensive for what it offers) and go for a standard policy with zero dep, consumables and engine cover. Take online quotes from individual insurance co websites and go with the one which is giving you the best coverage / price.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 16:37   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
...Take a quote from ICICI website. The difference is dealer commission

I suggest avoid secure (too expensive for what it offers) and go for a standard policy with zero dep, consumables and engine cover. Take online quotes from individual insurance co websites and go with the one which is giving you the best coverage / price.
I tried to get a quote online from ICICI, but the website would not recognize my policy number. I initiated a support chat and provided my policy number. The support person said that this is a dealer issued offline policy and cannot be renewed online. So, I guess online renewal of ICICI is ruled out. Either I will have to go with what the dealer has quoted (I have asked them to come back with the best offer they can give), or get from another insurer.

Talked to HDFC Ergo. They quoted 71K for Zero dep + engine cover + consumables, but the drawback is that they do not have cashless tie up with the dealer at Coimbatore.

Will check with Bajaj Allianz now.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:26   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to get a quote online from ICICI, but the website would not recognize my policy number. I initiated a support chat and provided my policy number. The support person said that this is a dealer issued offline policy and cannot be renewed online. So, I guess online renewal of ICICI is ruled out. Either I will have to go with what the dealer has quoted (I have asked them to come back with the best offer they can give), or get from another insurer.

Talked to HDFC Ergo. They quoted 71K for Zero dep + engine cover + consumables, but the drawback is that they do not have cashless tie up with the dealer at Coimbatore.

I entered details in ICICI Lombard site (Fresh policy)
BMW 330i GT M sport - Coimbatore - Date of purchase 21.1.18 - Zero claims in 1st year.

It shows a final premium of Rs. 90,105/- after 20% NCB with IDV of about 37.50 lakhs. This includes RSA, Zero Dep, Consumables and Engine Cover. This gives you an idea of the loading.
Attached Thumbnails
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-icici.jpg  

Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
That's what I have. Their quotes are by far the best ones. Cashless is available pan India.

Once you get a quote online they will call you. Do negotiate for a better price than what they quote. I guess for your car it should be around 80-85k for zero dep + engine protector + consumables.

I faced the same issue with ICICI. BWM's attempt to keep insurance renewal in their hands.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:47   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I entered details in ICICI Lombard site (Fresh policy)
BMW 330i GT M sport - Coimbatore - Date of purchase 21.1.18 - Zero claims in 1st year.

It shows a final premium of Rs. 90,105/- after 20% NCB with IDV of about 37.50 lakhs. This includes RSA, Zero Dep, Consumables and Engine Cover. This gives you an idea of the loading.
Thanks a lot for checking Santhosh. So, there is a difference of about 10K between online generated policy and dealer provided policy. With 5% more NCB, there difference could go up by another 2K or so.

The only issue is the round about procedure of getting a new policy and then transfering the NCB to the new policy, that too within the same company. Looks like too much complication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's what I have. Their quotes are by far the best ones. Cashless is available pan India.

Once you get a quote online they will call you. Do negotiate for a better price than what they quote. I guess for your car it should be around 80-85k for zero dep + engine protector + consumables.

I faced the same issue with ICICI. BWM's attempt to keep insurance renewal in their hands.
Just got off phone with the Bajaj Allianz guys. He quoted 1.12L for the zero dep + consumables + engine protector. Surprisingly, this is 10K more than what my dealer quoted. I asked him to work on the premium and get back with the best offer. Will update what I hear back from them.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:51   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only issue is the round about procedure of getting a new policy and then transfering the NCB to the new policy, that too within the same company. Looks like too much complication.
Too much premium I will say, Try New India Insurance. It should be cheaper. Or PM me your existing policy, I will get you a quote from here

As long as you are getting new one before the expiry of first, there is normally no inspection. Even if they do, someone will come to your place and click the pictures.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st January 2019 at 17:52.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:54   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Just got off phone with the Bajaj Allianz guys. He quoted 1.12L for the zero dep + consumables + engine protector. Surprisingly, this is 10K more than what my dealer quoted. I asked him to work on the premium and get back with the best offer. Will update what I hear back from them.
That's insane. Have PMed you contact details of the person who got me a good deal.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with Bajaj Allianz.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 18:13   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for checking Santhosh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Too much premium I will say, Try New India Insurance. It should be cheaper. Or PM me your existing policy, I will get you a quote from here

As long as you are getting new one before the expiry of first, there is normally no inspection. Even if they do, someone will come to your place and click the pictures.
Exactly! And there is no need to transfer NCB either. I have switched insurance companies seamlessly in the past. If your previous policy had no claims, you can straightaway take the NCB. If you declare you had no claims that is good enough. If someone declares falsely, then also the policy gets issued with the NCB. But at the time of claim they will find out that you made a false declaration and will deny the claim.

Insurance is a big recurring cost for these cars. So I suggest you do your research and take the best decision. Don't give in to these greedy dealers. It may be a good idea to go as a walk in customer and inquire at New India, Oriental, ICICI Lombard local offices and negotiate a good deal.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 18:19   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's insane. Have PMed you contact details of the person who got me a good deal.
Thanks a ton. I will contact him and get the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Thanks a lot. I will PM you the existing policy details.

Quote:
Insurance is a big recurring cost for these cars. So I suggest you do your research and take the best decision. Don't give in to these greedy dealers. It may be a good idea to go as a walk in customer and inquire at New India, Oriental, ICICI Lombard local offices and negotiate a good deal.
Thanks a ton, Santhosh. Yes. I am going to work on getting the best quote. Definitely not going to pay for the dealers' greed

The only option I am looking for is cashless claim, as the repair costs with BMW can run into lakhs.

Thank you all once again for the overwhelming support
Old 24th January 2019, 14:10   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anand, like Dr.AD mentioned in his ownership thread, usually when there are no objects to reflect the lights on the roads you will not even feel that the high beam is on. But when the beam hits objects, that is when you will see the beam. However, if the light is designed such that the high beam overlaps with the low beam and also lights up the road extending the low beam (maybe the projectors do this), that will be much better as well.

And congratulations on your Mumbai marathon
Ok, let me drive in the night on varied roads over next 2 weeks or so, I will share what I find.

Thank you, enjoyed the Mumbai marathon as usual. You skipped?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:18   #119
Senior - BHPian

graaja, try and negotiate with your dealership , I initially received a quote for my X1 for 90k for Variant 4 but finally they closed at 72k for 25 lac IDV. They will try to take you for a ride as far as they can.
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 18:28   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you, enjoyed the Mumbai marathon as usual. You skipped?
Yep. I skipped. Still in recovery phase from the Goa 70.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
graaja, try and negotiate with your dealership , I initially received a quote for my X1 for 90k for Variant 4 but finally they closed at 72k for 25 lac IDV. They will try to take you for a ride as far as they can.
Thank you. Yes. The dealer had sent me a mail asking for an appointment to discuss the premium. Will discuss over the weekend. However, I have a doubt they will be able to bring it down much. I got a quote of 70K from Royal Sundaram for an IDV of 39L includeing Zero Dep, consumables, engine cover, and return to invoice. Will know the details this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks