Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 07:06   #91
BHPian

Re: The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post

Post this drive, I am truly glad that on all the many occasions that we have considered selling this car off , we never ended up doing it and the way it served us during this trip only further strengthens my want to hold onto it for good.

I'm not sure if I'd trust any 18 year old car the way I trust this one and its ability to serve without any hiccups. Here's hoping you enjoyed reading.
Signing off,
BeemerBug
Toyota brand has a reputation for reliability, durability world-wide. However, its through its products and associated service offered by its network that solidifies that claim. I mean, there was a time when it was the number one in the world car sales. It had the audacity to get to number one in an American market and trounced the likes of GM, Ford. etc.

If there is one product offered by Toyota which is timeless, its the 'Toyota Corolla 1.8 E'. Its something that should be kept for lifetime. I clearly remember, during 2006-2010 , my sister after her marriage used to drive the same Toyota Corolla 1.8 E which you have and I used to get my hands on it. Short gear throws, crispy engine albeit abhorrent to being revved high, incredible AC, well apportioned, long lasting engine, niggle-free. She along with her children and her husband along with my brother , 6 people went for a drive to Shimla , HP and the car performed well without any qualms! Her family wouldn't keep any car for more than 5 years. Yet she held on to it for an excessive amount and when her family persisted for change. She relented, only when her new ride would be the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8L. Its been more than 10 years and she still continues to drive Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8L AT.
ritedhawan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:13   #92

We had driven from Chennai to Goa around the same time . Reading your wonderful travelogue and many others here, need to sit down and pen down my experience, but it has to wait for the moment.

It was worth it though, what with picturesque Karnataka highways and the scenic beauty of the Konkan coastline we were treated to some awesome views all through our drive. No travelogue is complete without GMaps throwing a googly and the hodophile in us being treated to some jittery moments and having second thoughts on what if we hadn't come by road for what it's worth. 😁
razor_crest is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 03:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving an 18 year old car from Mumbai to Goa and back is something most people wouldn't dare to. With a Corolla, however, age is just a number. Kudos to you and all at home for keeping the car this long. The only issues I have had with a Corolla are the driver seat height being inadequate, the long hood making driving in tight traffic a little difficult, small ORVMs, and a feeling of being bullied by high beam welding trucks and buses at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post
eventually, there was no road! It was plane gravel and was going into a forest. We kept on going and finally there was road
Yet another of the spine-chilling adventures courtesy GMaps. When one finally realizes that the suggested route was indeed short, the associated tension makes the overall experience worth forgetting.

Quote:
- quick FE calculation post the fuel up stated that the car had returned an overall average of 15.5 km/litre. Very impressive for a nearly 18-year-old car that was loaded , driven with the AC on most of the time, and occasionally floored

- On the return, once again, the car returned an average of about 15 km/litre. Same driving style. Super proud
Very impressive number, which is great for a car of its times with such a big motor. One of your pics showed the tachometer at 2500rpm at 90kmph. This combo would initially make the driver think of a below average FE, but final stats will make one eat one's own words - that is what the Corolla does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
A striking difference was the engine rpm at 70kmph - the blue automatic used to be at 1600 rpm or so while this manual was a tad more at 2000-2100 rpm in the fifth gear
Quoting from an old post, a similar experience on my AT and MT Corollas - when I'd just thought that the MT Corolla wouldn't return good FE, the car kept surprising me with consistently high FE even in semi - city driving.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 13:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Driving an 18 year old car from Mumbai to Goa and back is something most people wouldn't dare to. With a Corolla, however, age is just a number. Kudos to you and all at home for keeping the car this long. The only issues I have had with a Corolla are the driver seat height being inadequate, the long hood making driving in tight traffic a little difficult, small ORVMs, and a feeling of being bullied by high beam welding trucks and buses at night.
Thank you Vigsom, especially for all your valuable input and information regarding the car which acted as an extra positive reinforcement for me to take it to Goa in the first place. As I've mentioned, driving the car was an absolute breeze. Despite being behind the wheel for nearly 11.5 hours I didn't feel an ounce of fatigue
Old 18th April 2023, 14:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team,

My trusted corolla for the first time in its entire life of 17 years, something has gone wrong. Ive been told this time by toyota service that i have a leaky steering column assemenly and the cost for replacement is 80K.

Is there a second hand market whereby I could get this part ?

Any help or suggestion here is deeply appreciated.

Regards,
Arjun Rudra

Last edited by arjunrudra : 18th April 2023 at 14:41.
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:46   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi Team,
Is there a second hand market whereby I could get this part ?

Any help or suggestion here is deeply appreciated.

Hey,

Good news, Yess!!

My corolla too had this same issue. Gave it to Akash’s shop at Matunga.

They will either rebuilt your existing rack with new seals if the damage is low or can help you get a second hand rack for about 15k or less near Opera House.

Hope it helped and wishing you many more happy miles with your corolla.

Best regards
Cefil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks