Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2007, 11:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

first 600 KMS in my Baleno

Dont know if 500 KMS qualifies for a "long term" report, but here goes.

My Baleno LXI had clocked 110 KMS when my in laws landed in Bangy from Delhi. Beind a long weekend, we decided to go to Mysore since my Mom in law had never been there.

So come Saturday morning, got the tank topped up, loaded the boot to the gills(I have a 1.5 year old baby and she needs to carry some SERIOUS stuff!) and we were off.

Brookefields to KR Market was dispatched in 30 minutes-ah the joys of a 6AM drive in bangalore! then on the Mysore road is a brilliant drive.

Drove at speeds varying between 80-95 KPH since the car was new and my baby was travelling in the car.

Because the car was under full load(5 adults, 1 kid and luggage) the car bottomed out on a couple of speed breakers but apart from that, no issues.

The Bridgestone potenzas were amazing with the car riding brilliantly and with hardly any tyre noise. in fact the cabin of the baleno is REALLY silent- I guess the 13 noise reduction features really do work.

reached mysore, did a bit of sightseeing (the zoo is brilliant- highly recommended for a visit) and decided to check into a hotel, only to find that there is some conference delegation in town (900 members) and no rooms were available- not even in Sandesh and Lalit Mahal.

So at 8 PM, we decided to head back to bangalore. Drove back in one strach non-stop.

next morning, went to my usual Shell bunk at mahadevpura and I couldn't believe my eyes- we had covered a total of 330 KMS and the car consumed 17.8 L of Shell Premium (measured from auto cut to auto cut)- thats a mileage of 18.5KPL! this from a brand new 1.6L engine with full load and AC on 90% of the time (OK, the speed never crossed 100, but still....). Man! who needs a hatchback?

One very hand feature in teh baleno is the compartment over the handbrake which doubles up as the hand rest for the driver- this really takes the fatigue out of driving- Safari owners would know what I am talking about.

All in all a pleasant drive. As of this morning, my odo read 610 KMS( We drove to Nandi hills as well on Sunday so thats another 150 Ks)
Old 29th January 2007, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
a mileage of 18.5KPL! this from a brand new 1.6L engine with full load and AC on 90% of the time (OK, the speed never crossed 100, but still....).
thats quite impressive.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:02   #3
BHPian

Himanshu....Glad to know you are happy with your car. I too switched from the Palio (S10) to the Baleno and am extremely happy with my decision. That highway mileage is awsome. I have'nt had the chance to take my car on a good highway run so far in the 8100kms it has covered but I.m more than happy with the city mileage....consistently 11 kmpl with AC (compared to 7.5 kmpl in the S10). According to me, the Baleno was highly underrated and that was probably because it had the Suzuki badge.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I have a 1.5 year old baby and she needs to carry some SERIOUS stuff!
I understand .. my kid is nearing 2

Quote:
The Bridgestone potenzas were amazing with the car riding brilliantly and with hardly any tyre noise.
What size are you running ?

Quote:
in fact the cabin of the baleno is REALLY silent- I guess the 13 noise reduction features really do work.
Yes, noise levels are quite acceptable at those speeds. Cross 120 and it does get noisy/buzzy which is actually pretty nice to hear since it comes from the engine

Quote:
thats a mileage of 18.5KPL!this from a brand new 1.6L engine with full load and AC on 90% of the time (OK, the speed never crossed 100, but still....).
Shell must have contributed to an extent. It's amazing what disciplined driving can do. I just about manage to match my city mileage, on highways. I guess hovering between 120-140 and creeping up to 160 at times do guzzle up gas. Maybe the 195 F1s too help drink a bit more.

Quote:
One very hand feature in teh baleno is the compartment over the handbrake which doubles up as the hand rest for the driver- this really takes the fatigue out of driving- Safari owners would know what I am talking about.
True .. the dead pedal beside the clutch also helps a lot.

Enjoy the experience !!
Old 29th January 2007, 12:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

17.8kmpl is an astounding figure. hope you got adjusted to the gears now.
Quote:
the OHC too has this

Last edited by esteem_lover : 29th January 2007 at 12:09.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Shuvc: I am running 185/70/R13 tubeless

Esteem lover: Dude: teh mileage was 18.5- I used up 17.8L of fuel
Old 29th January 2007, 12:19   #7
BHPian

18 KMPL is excellent FE for a Baleno. If it improves after first couple of services then will it be 20 KMPL. I think its partly due to the speeds and probably your smoother driving style.

Mysore zoo is a very good one. We visited it in 2001, My son loved it.
Old 29th January 2007, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

himanshu, good to know that you are having fun with the Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Because the car was under full load(5 adults, 1 kid and luggage) the car bottomed out on a couple of speed breakers but apart from that, no issues.
Yes, used to happen with me too during the initial period. Now, I either take the speedbreaker at an angle (if traffic permits) or come to a complete stop just where the hump starts, release the brakes and then slowly take the breaker. Works most of the time unless the car is fully loaded and the hump is too high.

Quote:
the cabin of the baleno is REALLY silent- I guess the 13 noise reduction features really do work.
Yes, those features do work. The cabin is real silent & a boon in noisy traffic conditions in the city.
Quote:
thats a mileage of 18.5KPL! this from a brand new 1.6L engine with full load and AC on 90% of the time (OK, the speed never crossed 100, but still....).
Nice FE. I get 16kmpl, but then I drive above 100 most of the time and with a/c always. One tbhp-ian (ecm ?) even mentioned 20kmpl on highways with careful driving.

Enjoy the drive.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Can some-one explain or tell me where can I find info. on " 13 noise reduction features " .

Old 29th January 2007, 15:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Can some-one explain or tell me where can I find info. on " 13 noise reduction features " .
Check the Maruti Baleno website- go into the link for engine and the sub link for comfort.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th January 2007 at 22:37. Reason: editing quote
Old 29th January 2007, 15:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can some-one explain or tell me where can I find info. on " 13 noise reduction features "

ref : ......... MARUTI BALENO ...........

01. Sandwich construction dashboard panels - Stops the engine noise from reaching the cabin.
02. Quarter panel Insulators - Absorbs exterior noise.
03. Wheel housing Insulators - Suppresses exterior noise.
04. Dashboard Silencer - Absorbs Engine Noise.
05. Steering Support Tube - Reduces steering vibration.
06. Cabin Floor Foot Silencer - Isolates exterior noise and suppresses panel vibration.
07. Roof Insulation Foam - Reduces incidence of wind noise in pillars.
08. Floor Carpet Silencer - Absorbs exterior noise at the floor.
09. Chassis Subframes - Reduce vibration and body twist from uneven road surfaces.
10. Floating Acceleration Cable - Reduces pedal vibration.
11. Resonators and Silencer - Reduce the noise intake to a minimum.
12. Front Hood Insulator - Suppresses exterior noise
13. Boot Floor Sheet Silencer - Isolates exterior noise from rear.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:

as quoted from ......... MARUTI BALENO ...........

Due to comprehensive noise reduction measures, the quiteness of the cabin and the smoothness of the ride are virtually unprecedented.
01. Sandwich construction dashboard panels - Stops the engine noise from reaching the cabin.
02. Quarter panel Insulators - Absorbs exterior noise.
03. Wheel housing Insulators - Suppresses exterior noise.
04. Dashboard Silencer - Absorbs Engine Noise.
05. Steering Support Tube - Reduces steering vibration.
06. Cabin Floor Foot Silencer - Isolates exterior noise and suppresses panel vibration.
07. Roof Insulation Foam - Reduces incidence of wind noise in pillars.
08. Floor Carpet Silencer - Absorbs exterior noise at the floor.
09. Chassis Subframes - Reduce vibration and body twist from uneven road surfaces.
10. Floating Acceleration Cable - Reduces pedal vibration.
11. Resonators and Silencer - Reduce the noise intake to a minimum.
12. Front Hood Insulator - Suppresses exterior noise
13. Boot Floor Sheet Silencer - Isolates exterior noise from rear.

Its more of a marketing gimmick.....but the car is silent......but in my car when i acclerate the car in 2nd gear, aftter 60kmph the car is very very very noisy with the engine being very harsh.....wat may be the problem???issit common???

Oh and btw why i dont know ,i feel tht there are more takers for the baleno only after when its withdrawn from the market

Last edited by hari_rama : 29th January 2007 at 15:48.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
but in my car when i acclerate the car in 2nd gear, aftter 60kmph the car is very very very noisy with the engine being very harsh.....wat may be the problem???issit common???
Yes there's a decent amount of engine noise beyond the 3.5 K mark - but I wouldn't call it harsh .. maybe I'm biased, 'coz I love it
Old 29th January 2007, 16:00   #14
BHPian

hehe maybe am being more picky in case of the car.....yeah me do love the car....am more of a gentle driver and have never gone over 11o kmph in my car....yesterday took teh car for a 160 km trip in somewat ghat section and man i just lov the torque....with four ppl on board she can easily go on 3rd gear in inclines.....also the car handles well on curves at 80kmph....too bad the maruti stoppped the production
Old 29th January 2007, 16:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

in any car, when the engine screams, there will be noise inside the cabin. baleno is silent, agreed, but most of the 13 steps pointed out by maruti just fancy names given for features already available in other good cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks