Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2020, 17:15   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 10 years with my beloved "wrong car" - My Maruti SX4 ZXi | Now SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Thanks for a lovely post. I too have a 2011 SX4Zxi, in silver. ..

In contrast the Sx4 is slow, and wallows a bit. But it has taken my large family of growing teens everywhere, including long runs to bangalore and Vellore, never had any problems. I have scratched her a bit, but almost everytime it's been my momentary lapse of judgment. She is now on 80,000 km and I plan to keep her until 1 lakh km. She wears Michelin shoes, and is delicately handwashed by yours truly, with the occasional wax, and she gleams!
Yes, reliable, and safe, I guess more in keeping with my age as well!
Thank you, and yes, I agree with your assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Congrats Dr AD, the SX4 is truly a special car, especially from Maruti. I still remember Maruti's "Men are back" was a rage with all the car boys when I was in high-school.

Wish you many more trouble free miles ahead!
Thank you. Yes, I remember those "Men are Back" advertises quite well too :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
That is a nice write up, straight from the heart!

SX4 (I think S cross is in the same family) was co developed by FIAT and Suzuki, as a compact hatch / crossover. I think the points mentioned above attests to this - High GC, soft off roading capability. FIAT traits - solid build quality, agreeable handling with controlled body roll. I suppose that is the reason S cross is also a class apart from other Maruti offerings in terms of build, since it has some FIAT DNA.
Thank you! And yes, this was jointly developed with Fiat and sold as Fiat Sedici in the Europe. It definitely has the Fiat DNA has you mentioned, and was the most "solid" product from Maruti portfolio back in 2010. And yes, now S-cross carries forward the same DNA. In fact, except for India, S-cross is still an SX4, and carries the full name of "Suzuki SX4 S-Cross".
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
A bit sad note is that none of the other three cars (other than Dusty) are in our group now. All sold, and owners moved on to fancier rides!
Says the man who himself upgraded to a 320D. But yeah, you did hold on to Dusty. Ill give you that. Lovely write up and enjoyed reliving some of those drives again through your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
And this is much more important than what people give credit for. When you're in the middle of nowhere, it's getting dark, it's raining, there's no phone network, and it's unsafe to stop, you rely much more than 100% on your car to see you through. The only thing that stands between you getting stranded vs reaching safe, is your car. At that time, handling, power, steering feedback, etc all become immaterial and superfluous. And nothing builds your trust more than seeing your car deliver the above, again and again. Constant niggles takes the whole fun out of the overall ownership experience, besides always leaving you with a nagging doubt about reliability.
And yet you bought a Polo TSI with the infamous DQ250. When are we getting that Verna/Polo comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I well remember that Hyderabad drive when we went to meet the Hyderabad BHPians. "Follow me", you said - "your car is a Jetta, I cannot drive fast in this car", you said. Yeah right!
Thats just Dr.AD trying to be modest. I always knew what he meant was "You have a bigger car, lets see if you can keep up". Many a times I have fallen for his play on trying to be modest and every time I had only two questions.
1)Why is that thing so ugly in the rear? (Jacked up rear with the suspension bits hanging out and the rear muffler dancing like crazy)
2) How in the world is this guy hustling this car around corners like this? I cant keep up

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 16th May 2020 at 19:40.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 20:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Lovely write up and enjoyed reliving some of those drives again through your pictures.
Thank a lot deepfreak15!

Quote:
And yet you bought a Polo TSI with the infamous DQ250. When are we getting that Verna/Polo comparison?
Oh, I did not know that Pearljam got Polo TSI. I somehow missed this update. By the way, you meant infamous DQ200 and not DQ250, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
And this is much more important than what people give credit for. When you're in the middle of nowhere, it's getting dark, it's raining, there's no phone network, and it's unsafe to stop, you rely much more than 100% on your car to see you through. The only thing that stands between you getting stranded vs reaching safe, is your car. At that time, handling, power, steering feedback, etc all become immaterial and superfluous.
Congratulation Pearljam on the Polo TSI! It is a very nice car! Looking forward to hearing your detailed experiences! So how would you rate this car with respect to your above comment :-)

Quote:
1)Why is that thing so ugly in the rear? (Jacked up rear with the suspension bits hanging out and the rear muffler dancing like crazy)
2) How in the world is this guy hustling this car around corners like this? I cant keep up
1. You are right. That thing in the rear is pretty ugly :-) The muffler hanging in the air, clearly visible from behind, and moving around randomly as the car moves, is very ugly. I really wish it was better designed. This car is all about function over form. I really wish the designers had got a better balance between function and the form.

2. Hahaha. As we always say, it is more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. :-)
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 21:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, you meant infamous DQ200 and not DQ250, right?
Duh, stupid mistake. I blame a certain member of our forum for getting all my DQ numbers messed up and you know who .
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @deepfreak15, see below for the reasons! Will definitely add a comparison soon

Quote:
Congratulation Pearljam on the Polo TSI! It is a very nice car! Looking forward to hearing your detailed experiences! So how would you rate this car with respect to your above comment :-)
Thanks AD! My initial review on getting the car is here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4730062 (Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review)

And then, I just wrote up something now, after 1 long trip:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4807287 (Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review)

As you see above, the GT TSI was the only choice I really had, as per requirements. Every other alternative didn't really appeal, so finally took the plunge. I also wanted to buy it before they downgraded to a 3-cylinder 1.0 TSI, whatever people might say about it being "better" and "more powerful". In hindsight, it was an even better decision because the DSG is now gone, and it's no fun driving a TC in this segment.

Yes, the DQ200 reliability is always a concern, and I got into this fully aware of it. I really hope that the DQ200 issues are sorted out better over time now (as per what I researched), and it breaks down at a convenient place when it does .

Regarding reliability, it's a choice - when going in a group, or for a team-bhp drive, or in well known familiar routes, the Polo is safe enough from a reliability point of view. However, if I'm going on a long solo/night drive to unknown parts, then I would be really hesitant with the GT TSI. The Verna wins hands down here, and it's proved itself time and again on this.

As you said about your SX4 vs the 320d, each car has it's strengths and weaknesses, and there's no one choice really. We pick one based on the situation and state of mind.

Last edited by PearlJam : 19th May 2020 at 10:45.
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:06   #51
BHPian

Beautiful review of your good old steed Dr. AD! I can relate with you, as I had similar feelings for my Swift which covered almost 1.4L over 11yrs, before I had to let go of it! And for me too, Konkan drive is the memorable one!

And if I'm not mistaken, the below photo is at Ganpatiule:
Quote:
This beach is my favourite spot in that place, have spent lot of time at the beach with no other soul in sight! And I too have the pic of my Swift at the very same spot:

10 years with my beloved "wrong car" - My Maruti SX4 ZXi | Now SOLD-dsc_0844.jpg
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:59   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Beautiful review of your good old steed Dr. AD! I can relate with you, as I had similar feelings for my Swift which covered almost 1.4L over 11yrs, before I had to let go of it! And for me too, Konkan drive is the memorable one!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
And if I'm not mistaken, the below photo is at Ganpatipule
Yes, you right. This is near Ganpatipule. This is actually a beach called Malgund Beach (Malgund is a small village a few km away from Ganpatipule). However, most people would call this area just Ganpatipule. So you are right.

Quote:
This beach is my favourite spot in that place, have spent lot of time at the beach with no other soul in sight! And I too have the pic of my Swift at the very same spot:
Yes, it is the same spot! And that is a beautiful picture of your Swift!

This is my favorite spot too. And as you mentioned, usually you can spend a lot of time there without any other soul in sight. That whole area of Malgund, Jaigad, and the beaches there are absolutely perfect spots to spend some time in solitude. Except for the very peak summer season, rest of the year you will find yourself totally alone there in a vast and beautiful coastline!
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for a very well maintained SX4. I love SX4 and find it beautiful, simple and elegant.

It was a good very package in 2007, with ABS, automatic climate control, high seating, powerful engine etc. I badly wanted to buy it when I was car shopping in 2007, mainly because the high seating position is perfect for my tall height. But went for Getz because of parking constraints and Getz being well within my budget. I see SX4 daily in a parking lot in my apartment and I regret not getting it.

I was planning to do Konkan bike solo ride during monsoon this year. Not possible now with Corona situation. Your konkan thread will be useful for me. Lovely pictures. Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 2nd July 2020 at 12:01.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats for a very well maintained SX4. I love SX4 and find it beautiful, simple and elegant.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
I was planning to do Konkan bike solo ride during monsoon this year. Not possible now with Corona situation. Your konkan thread will be useful for me. Lovely pictures. Thanks
That is a great plan. You should definitely do that when it is safe to do do. Konkan in monsoon is always an amazing experience. And doing that solo is even better. All you need is a reliable vehicle that can tackle some broken roads and a lot of heavy rain, and you are set for a great expedition.

Alas, this year such a "monsoon solo" seems impossible due to obvious reasons. I am feeling very bad about that. But I am hoping to be out there somewhere in Konakn next year for sure!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 3rd July 2020 at 16:54.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Greetings,

That’s very well-maintained SX4 you have got. Loved the review and the pictures.

SX4 was definitely a good product from the MSIL stable back then.

I too own a 2009 BS3 SX4 ZXi and plan to keep it till 2024 i.e. till it registration lasts. Also, hoping that this 15 year old car ban in Delhi-NCR gets done away with though chances of it happening are slim to narrow. But nevertheless the car has given me immense joy and I am in no mood to sell it off or send it in scrap.

Planning to write a long-term ownership review soon.

Happy and Safe Driving.

Thanks.
adv.yzr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
That’s very well-maintained SX4 you have got. Loved the review and the pictures.
Thank you very much.

By the way, not much to report here. I keep using this car as a beater car and she is doing a great job.

Just yesterday reached the below figure on the odometer. I was looking forward to capturing the "123456" figure since last few days. However, it happened yesterday and I realized it 1km too late :-)

10 years with my beloved "wrong car" - My Maruti SX4 ZXi | Now SOLD-img_20201012_2032272.jpg
Missed the magic number by 1km
Dr.AD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 13:51   #57
BHPian

Asking this question in this thread since it seems to be an active SX4 thread. Hope that is fine.

I am looking for a car for my dad and am considering both new and used ones.

I can see a 2010 SX4 ZXi (Opt) run for 58,000kms (not verified) 2nd Owner listed near my place for about Rs. 2,35,000/-. Is this a fair price for this car? My parents house is in a village and as such all we get here are Alto 800 and the like. No offense to the owners but i just wanted something a little more safe to drive around on Kerala crazy roads.

From what I understand going through the forum the SX4 came with VVT later on in it's life. Is there a way for me to confirm if this one is equipped with VVT (I don't see the badge on the pictures posted and I have not contacted the owner yet). Was this mentioned in the RC card?

More important though is my concern on whether this engine has proved reliable in the long term (if i remember right then its the M16A? I am not really good at grasping technical aspects of a car) and are spare parts still available for the SX4 (especially for this engine)?

Last edited by JithinR : 28th November 2020 at 13:53. Reason: Added more info
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 19:05   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I can see a 2010 SX4 ZXi (Opt) run for 58,000kms (not verified) 2nd Owner listed near my place for about Rs. 2,35,000/-. Is this a fair price for this car? My parents house is in a village and as such all we get here are Alto 800 and the like. No offense to the owners but i just wanted something a little more safe to drive around on Kerala crazy roads.

From what I understand going through the forum the SX4 came with VVT later on in it's life. Is there a way for me to confirm if this one is equipped with VVT (I don't see the badge on the pictures posted and I have not contacted the owner yet).
I can not comment on the price because I am not aware of the current prices in the used car market. Regarding your query on the VVT, yes VVT was introduced in SX4 in 2009. It was introduced around October 2009, and all cars made after that would be VVT. There is a badge under the turn indicators on the side fenders (if you see the pictures of my car in this thread, you can clearly see the badges on the side). Since you said the car your are looking for is 2010 ZXi model, it must be VVT. That is the same model year as my car.

Quote:
More important though is my concern on whether this engine has proved reliable in the long term (if i remember right then its the M16A? I am not really good at grasping technical aspects of a car) and are spare parts still available for the SX4 (especially for this engine)?
Yes, this is the M16A engine. The engine is extremely reliable, and I have not heard of any engine problems on SX4. My car is running absolutely fine even after 1,23,500km now. I have not heard of engine needing any replacement parts at all, so there is no reason to think about availability or replacement of engine parts.

What parts would need replacement are regular wear and tear items. My clutch was changed at 94,000km, and the suspension lower arm was changed very recently, at 1,23,000km. All such parts are easily available at the authorized service centers and are quite reasonably priced. There is no shortage of such routine parts at least.

Overall, it is a very reliable car and parts availability or engine issues would be the least of my worries on this car.

Hope this helps. All the best for your decision!
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 20:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dr.AD,

Appreciate your thorough review. Very good.

I own 2011 SX4 Zxi VVT and since day 0, I love my car and her looks. As you said, it is an extremely reliable car. Good stance, good ergonomics, good seats. Mine has clocked almost 1,30,000 km so far. She is still on the stock clutch, returns 15.5 to 16.5 kmpl on the highways and 12.5 to 13.5 kmpl in the city.

Never ever I had second thoughts before taking her on long solo business trips up to 3000 km (to and fro) or before taking my family in long distance trips like Pune - Hyderabad or Pune - Ahmedabad - Shankheshwar.

No squeeks or rattles, no paint peel-off, no water leaks. She drives as smooth as she was driving in the first year.

Her AC is as good as it was in the beginning.

And what did she demand so far? Regular oil changes, oil and air filters and ummm..... and...... nothing else except lower arms, stabilizer bushes and link rods at 85,000 km. Without her demand, I have provided her spark plugs every 50,000 km, ignition coils at 1,25,000 km, fuel filter at 80,000 km and gear oil at 80,000 and 1,28,000 km. I have promised her new gear oil every 20,000 - 25,000 km henceforth.

I have changed the tyres at 67,000 km and 1,25,000 km. The stock battery and it's replacement both were changed in 4.5 years each. Both batteries were good and trouble free at the time of replacement. I change the wiper blades every monsoon.

I wash her myself. I keep the engine bay clean. I buy the oil, the filters myself and get these changed at FNG in my presence. Always. I buy the spares myself and get these fitted in my presence at the same FNG. All purchases from MGP.

Every time I take her out, she brings a big smile on my face. On every long solo trip, I keep staring at her from my table at the highway restaurant. I take her photographs and send back to my family on WhatsApp. My daughter learnt driving on this car and she too loves the feel of SX4.

I am a sedate driver, doing 80-100 KMPH on the highways. I am happy with her handling, ride, suspension and steering. The steering does lack enough feedback, as you rightly said. Her headlights need better illumination. I always notice this during the night drives, in spite of adjusting the headlights personally.

I never found myself short of power for my (rare) quick overtakes. Downshift and take her past 2000 rpm. By the time she reaches 3000 rpm, you have completed overtaking. It took a little time for me to realise this.

I plan to keep this car as long as I can. I will probably upgrade the headlamp bulbs. I found the under thigh support inadequate. To compensate this, I have come out with a DIY lateral support for the right knee. Inadequate under thigh support is a result of inadequate topmost seat height, IMO. Apart from this, the ergonomics are spot on.

And yes, that thick blinding A pillar. I have learnt to lean either way, to look past the A pillar.

So, salute to MSIL, salute to SX4 and to the fellow SX4 owners. Long live my SX4 (and yours too).

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 28th November 2020 at 20:30.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 20:48   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Dr.AD,

Appreciate your thorough review. Very good.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
I own 2011 SX4 Zxi VVT and since day 0, I love my car and her looks. As you said, it is an extremely reliable car. Good stance, good ergonomics, good seats. Mine has clocked almost 1,30,000 km so far. She is still on the stock clutch, returns 15.5 to 16.5 kmpl on the highways and 12.5 to 13.5 kmpl in the city.
Great to hear about your ownership experience. It looks like our experiences are very similar. Except on the fuel economy part. I am surprised you get 12.5km/l in the city. For me, given the usual Bangalore traffic in which I used this car, I never crossed 10km/l in the city :-)

Quote:
I plan to keep this car as long as I can. I will probably upgrade the headlamp bulbs. I found the under thigh support inadequate. To compensate this, I have come out with a DIY lateral support for the right knee. Inadequate under thigh support is a result of inadequate topmost seat height, IMO. Apart from this, the ergonomics are spot on.
I also plan to keep her as long as I can. Regarding seats, I actually find the seats quite comfortable. I am sure it depends on each person and their sizes. Overall I am happy with the seats. One issue I have with the seats is the crude seat adjustment mechanism. The seat adjustment mechanism is so crude that it is impossible to make fine adjustments. The seat jumps from one position to another. I am very sensitive to specific seat position and this crude movements make it very hard to get my ideal position if someone changes the seat position (cleaning guys for example).

Quote:
So, salute to MSIL, salute to SX4 and to the fellow SX4 owners. Long live my SX4 (and yours too).
Absolutely echo your thoughts. This is one lovely car from the Maruti stable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks