Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 04:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The position of the power window switches has been retained since the first set of Ikons. No changes made in position. Just that before you get used to their placement, you end up hunting for them.
The Doorpadding and hence the power window switch positioning on the SXi (and the Post Sept 1.6ZXi's which were essentially re-badged SXi's) were different. They looked more upmarket with chrome embellishments and a nice door handle, but on the drivers door the powerwindow swith was too far forward. Thankfully the original door pad never had this problem.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
gaurav : which tyres are u using. the sound the tyres make differ a lot from company to company
I have been using MRF tyres and there is a great reduction in cabin noise since a few days as now the car has brand new Michelins!....
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:07   #18
BHPian

Ok, there is a reason to wake up this dead thread
Im now in Pune and my family back home is thinking of replacing our Ikon with a DZire..
Fair enough.. but, we are getting quite a low quote for the car : 2001 model 1.6 ZXI with original ford alloys. So, I was thinking of getting this car to Pune (instead of my dad selling it off), pimping it up with stuff and using it.
The Ikon has been giving us minor issues from time to time (electrical, a/c, suspension), but i did go thru tens of topic yesterday on team-bhp related to moddin the Ikon. I know it would be expensive... but is it worth it?

1. Market quote is around 80,000
2. Alloy wheels (15inch) : around 16-18k
3. New set of tyres : around 12-14k
4. Upgrading the system to a CD/MP3 with woofer etc: around 16-18k
5. Changing / upgrading the bumper, wing, skirts : around 12k
6. After market free flow exhaust : 2k
7. Semi / full leather seats : no idea. Taking around 12k for interiors.

All this adds upto around 1.6lakh. But i would have a car that looks smashing and performs equally well. Worth the money or shall i just let them sell the car off? What is your take guys? My heart says yes...

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 23rd December 2008 at 11:08.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:06   #19
BHPian

Since the car has been in your family, you would know the exact condition of the car. Does it require any expenses in the near future like suspension overhaul, engine, fuel pump etc.? If the car is mechanically perfect and runs fine, I would suggest that you keep this car as I can't think of a more enjoyable car to drive for 80,000 bucks.

Think about it, if you were into the second hand market, what would 80,000 bucks get you, a zen or maybe a fiat uno.

If you do decide to keep the car, here is how I suggest you spruce it up (in the following order)-

1. Alloy wheels (my suggestion would be to stick to 14 inchers): 16,000 for a set of 4
2. Yokohamas: 13,200 for a set of 4 tires
3. FFE with custom header: 10-12,000
4. ICE upgrade: 15-20,000
5. Interiors: 5-15,000 depending on whether you go in for just new seat covers (g-sport or similar brands) or full upholstery including doorpanels (ovion or similar brands)

I would suggest that you keep the exterior mods for the last. I have not included the K&N air filter as I don't think that there are any perceptible gains from that alone, however that's based on my personal experience, there are others who believe that it does make a difference, so it's eventually your call.
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Thanks! Your list keeps the price under 1.5lakh. Perfect.
The car has mostly run on open highways. The engine is still a gem - we are getting around 9 in city with A/c and over 15 on the highways at around 110-115km/h.

Did a lot of research lately. The only issue is that i was saving up the Ninja 250R (due for Feb). I have to now choose between riding a 27odd bhp 'sports bike' or a 94bhp pimped up Ford.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
I have not included the K&N air filter as I don't think that there are any perceptible gains from that alone, however that's based on my personal experience, there are others who believe that it does make a difference, so it's eventually your call.
Recently one of our t-bhp member has done it and seems to be happy on the performance http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gh-torque.html. Did you try changing air filter and had issues / no performance difference?
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Considering the price you are getting, and the fact that the issues cropping up are minor, it makes sense to retain the car, and mod it accordingly.

Since i am not really inclined to engine and performance mods, i would opt for exterior mods. A simple grill and bumper change in itself will make the car look much newer.

However, check if there is any preventive maintenance that you foresee on the car. That would take the greatest priority, IMO.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:50   #23
BHPian

Guys, selling our car. We are switching over to the Dzire diesel.
The ikon is parked at our house in Paschim Vihar. Contact no is 9891202422.
We are looking for around Rs 65000-70000. This includes the comprehensive insurance which now has no claim bonus of 50%. Tyres are Michelins. Standard stereo. Original Ford Alloys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks