Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 07:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Experiences with a 2010 Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT - An Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros View Post
Can't get enough of these stories. Keep 'em coming
Thank You @Maedhros. Yes, I hope to keep the pipeline warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I really love the fact that you don’t panic and are able to diagnose complicated issues and figure out fixes for these too
Thank You @Crow. It wasn't easy to develop the never-say-die approach. However confident one is, there are tense moments when a problem suddenly crops up, and a lot of thinking goes into finding a workable solution. I believe that minor problems should come up to test our abilities to overcome them.

So far, I have always been rewarded with success after a painful wait eg. the AC issues in the blue Corolla. It is a battle of our diagnosis vs the technicians' and one needs to make them accept our point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
The real gangsta car! This butch SUV still commands respect on the road. One of few which repels pesky rickshaw guys.
Thank You @Gotham_City; Yes, the white Endeavour in particular looks quite intimidating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I sold my Endeavour in End 2016. The car served me well, but the launch of the New Fortuner changed my thoughts
Thank You @MAS; You and bhpian @siddheshb helped me with info in late 2016 when I needed help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
A well maintained car for a cheap price is a good deal - as long as you are mentally prepared for things to break and keep aside money to fix things.
Well said, @torquecurve. On non-Toyotas with a high odo reading, one has to be prepared to fix things that can break. In all these years, I've learnt to spot tell-tale signs of bad ownership and stay away from such cars. Even after due diligence, the car can throw up unforeseen issues, but these can be fixed. The joy of owning a "different" car cannot be explained.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:50   #17

That made for an interesting article @vigsom.

Wanted to buy a pre worshipped Yeti and also an old Vitara V6, but bailed as I expected the ownership experience to be an expensive learning curve.

I can just say that your friendship with the owner has had a fair impact on the costs incurred. Keep up the good work!
Petroleus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:19   #18
BHPian

Hi vigsom,

Iam planning to buy the below Ford endeavour.

https://www.olx.in/item/ford-endeavo...iid-1665993227

Will show to mechanic and take to Ford service center.
Please let me know if anything should be taken care.

Thank you,

Last edited by dsnaveen21 : 8th December 2021 at 19:42.
Old 13th August 2023, 01:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Screeching to a halt - Sep 2016

What I realized later was that my friend could have got the shaft disconnected at the incident Site (approx 110km from Chennai) through a local mechanic and driven the car back to Chennai in 4H mode with the front differential in action.

Anyways , all is well that ends well.
It didn't work.... The spider joint broke on my 2009 ford endeavour AT. That's the same part which failed as you have mentioned.

I remember reading this thread and the movement I heard the loud noise and loss of power, i realised that my shaft is free spinning. I was driving on 2H, so i engaged the 4H and moved the vehicle to safety. It was barely 20 meters.

I figured few tools and disengaged the propeller shaft roadside hoping that I could drive to a garage and fix the issue. The shaft was removed and I tied to move the vehicle, but no luck.

I tried to engage 4L too but no luck. 4L indicators turned on but vehicle didn't respond to acceleration, just the RPM is increasing.

Am I missing something? Currently am stuck near kollam, Kerala. Trying to figure parts for my beast. It needs new propeller shaft as the it was damaged beyond repair and few spider joints to accompany.
Old 13th August 2023, 03:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatOLDtdi View Post
It didn't work..

Am I missing something? Currently am stuck near kollam, Kerala. Trying to figure parts for my beast.
Most likely electronics (rear differential lock or something related to 4x4) will be restricting it.

When the shaft was connected, albeit broken, were you able to drive? Can you try to hang the damaged shaft in the same condition so it remains in the assembly but does not drop on the road or foul with anything else?

Even if you can move, not sure how other parts, like the front differential/ axles, are going to behave or take the load of the vehicle as the front setup is a supplement and not the primary drive.

The best will be to get it towed to the nearest Ford service centre.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2023 at 03:35.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 09:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatOLDtdi View Post
- i engaged the 4H and moved the vehicle to safety. It was barely 20 meters.

- disengaged the propeller shaft roadside hoping that I could drive to a garage and fix the issue. The shaft was removed and I tied to move the vehicle, but no luck.

I tried to engage 4L too but no luck. 4L indicators turned on but vehicle didn't respond to acceleration, just the RPM is increasing
The front prop shaft is independent, so ideally the vehicle should have moved in 4H viz. Engine - transmission - transfer case - front prop shaft - front diff. You said the vehicle did move 20m. Was any damage caused to the front prop shaft spider too ? Not sure. If you can post some pics of the underside (drivetrain, prop shafts) maybe they will will throw some light.
Old 13th August 2023, 14:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most likely electronics (rear differential lock or something related to 4x4) will be restricting it.

When the shaft was connected, albeit broken, were you able to drive? Can you try to hang the damaged shaft in the same condition so it remains in the assembly but does not drop on the road or foul with anything else?
I agree, it is electronics. when i tried to move the vehicle second time after removing the complete propeller shaft, RPM raises and the Speedometer was showing false data - it would raise until 50kmph (while accelerating) but vehicle was not even moving a inch.

i have removed the broken shaft from its sleeve first as it was easier. The middle U joint is good, so will not stay put. the shaft will hit the fuel tank if the shaft swifts its angle while spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Even if you can move, not sure how other parts, like the front differential/ axles, are going to behave or take the load of the vehicle as the front setup is a supplement and not the primary drive.

The best will be to get it towed to the nearest Ford service centre.
I will try to remove the U Joint from shaft and connect the center bearing and try again. but am inclined to tow the vehicle to a service center nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The front prop shaft is independent, so ideally the vehicle should have moved in 4H viz. Engine - transmission - transfer case - front prop shaft - front diff. You said the vehicle did move 20m. Was any damage caused to the front prop shaft spider too ? Not sure. If you can post some pics of the underside (drivetrain, prop shafts) maybe they will will throw some light.
Yes, the vehicle was moving initially,
Here are some pics... not sure if it would help but i can click few pics if you need more.

Experiences with a 2010 Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT - An Ownership Review-pxl_20230813_070154953.jpg

Experiences with a 2010 Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT - An Ownership Review-pxl_20230813_065855769.jpg

Experiences with a 2010 Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT - An Ownership Review-pxl_20230813_065851182.jpg
thatOLDtdi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks