Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 09:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
Agreed. I have heard of people claiming to have crossed 165! but have come back saying rpm needle was struck to 2300rpm.

Fact is the stock engine management system for Dicor prohibits anything over 2300rpm due to various reasons.
2300rpm.... it DOES genuine 2600rpm@160 I guess Steers safari does that as well ( am i right Steer)
Old 11th August 2007, 13:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
2300rpm.... it DOES genuine 2600rpm @ 160 I guess Steers safari does that as well ( am i right Steer)
Rahul

Its probably 2600 at 140 (not 2,300 - sorry, my mistake). All I was trying to say is that your engine speed doesnt budge after 140. Check what your engine speed was at 140.

If you're running stock, there's no way you can go beyond 140 without the help of gravity. The rpm is both electonically AND mechanically limited.
Old 11th August 2007, 16:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
2300rpm.... it DOES genuine 2600rpm@160 I guess Steers safari does that as well ( am i right Steer)
2600rpm it is,sorry. I had quoted Steeroids post and got carried away.

It is a ecm(and mechanical) lock,which does not allow the car to go beyond the specified speed. Steeroids case is very different. he undertook a massive excercise with Tata motors and its people to get what he wanted. Not available to anyone else.
Old 11th August 2007, 17:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

never mind guys.. You are right in terms of ECU

If I remember correctly last month it was something between 2000-2500 @140 . However Ill try some pics to confirm my self. The only ECU reflash was somemonths back at the factory itself

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 11th August 2007 at 17:42.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

25000KMS Update:

The truck went in for the 25k kms service a few days back. Have to say, the Tata workshop at Worli, Bombay has done a commendable job. I had almost forgotten how the Safari was when new.

The Happenings:
From the time I bought it, the Safari may not have seen as many kilometres like the Accent CRDi, but even then has seen plenty of action.

A cab hit me at a signal and damaged the spare wheel cover which has been removed now. (I am looking for one,dealership says 3000 without painting, if anybody has 3.0 Dicor Spare wheel cover lying around, I'll be happy to get it off your hands)

The Safari almost became part of the statistic of the terrorist attack in Mumbai. I was waiting outside at VT station junction when the firing started. Then again at Marine Drive where they apprehended the lone surviving terrorist. Thankfully, all of us escaped narrowly.

Over the course of kilometres, the tail-gate started rattling again. - Fixed.

The left rear wheel arch cladding broke off, thanks to a sandal getting stuck in it. -Replaced

A foglight bulb fused and had to replace a 5A fuse for the rear fogs. - Replaced & Fixed.

Another problem was the front discs warped again and had to be skimmed. This seems to be a generic problem with the Safaris. You have to wait for the brakes to warm up, otherwise the discs will take a beating. Last time, it was done in warranty, but this time I had to pay.
-Job done. Back in good shape.

Another complaint was the hard clutch. It would be nice and soft in the mornings, but once warmed up, the clutch action would become hard.
-System bled. Clutch feels light and smooth now.

After the service, the engine feels smoother and quieter and I just love the cabin that is rattle free for now. Fuel economy figures have been hovering around 9.8kpl in the city with AC. Got 13.5kpl on a recent trip to Alibaug with a full load and both ACs switched on.

The Tata guys fixed everything I had asked for and I couldn't be happier to recieve the truck back in good shape. All in all, I am very happy and always reach for the Safari keys every morning despite the vtec. Looking forward to rack up kilometres at a faster pace this time around. Till the next update. Signing off.

PS: Mods kindly change the title to reflect the update.

Bill Details

1. Fog Lamp: Rs 77
2. Rear wheel Arch Cladding: Rs 265
3. 25000kms Service: Free
4. 5 Door pad clips: Rs 42
5. Brake system check: Free
6. Electrical check: Rs 75
7. Remote battery: Rs 100
8. Disc Skimming: Rs 260

Labour
1. Wheel Arch Cladding paint: Rs 350
2. Disc Skimming: Rs 350

Total with Taxes: Rs 1759

Drifter
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Drifter,

25k Kms only now... mmm... seems like you are taking your time!

The cost seems to be a bit of a shocker; would have expected a 2 tonner to cost more.

Just one quesssion sir - "...The left rear wheel arch cladding broke off, thanks to a sandal getting stuck in it..." : How did you achieve this?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Yeah the Safari is mostly on the home-office-home run, so there isn't much travelling. This service wasn't much because no oil change. Also the 30,000kms service will be a big one with fuel filter change and oil change as well. I expect to spend around Rs 7,000 in the next service.

And the cladding, well when people wear high heeled sandals and don't watch their step when getting out, that little piece of cladding becomes the victim. I didn't achieve this, but one of my passengers did.

Drifter
Old 24th February 2009, 12:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
1. Fog Lamp: Rs 77
You mean Fog Lamp Bulb, right? The Fog Lamp will set you back by quite a bit more.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Yes it was the fog lamp bulb. My bad.

Drifter
Old 25th February 2009, 12:47   #70
BHPian

Hmm...When i went to buy a fog lamp, TASS guys had problem with computer so cud not print the bill.. And i could not get the bulb...

Finally bought it outside for Rs 30....infact had only Rs20 change and the guy agreed...ha ha ha
Old 1st March 2009, 00:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

One thing I noticed about the bulbs was when one of the fog lamp bulbs fused on the Accent. I bought one from the market and that didn't last too long. In fact the ones I bought later from the dealership although better than the aftermarket buld didn't have the life of the original bulb. After that I decided to stick with the dealerships as far as possible. They may be a little expensive, but they are worth it sometimes.

As a side note, the headlights on my Safari are used all the time and they are holding up pretty well.

Drifter
Old 11th April 2009, 06:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post

Total with Taxes: Rs 1759

Drifter
Holy mother
I remember back in india when I used to get my bajaj pulsar180 serviced..the bill never used to come any less that 2000 bucks.

Muhahahahhaa.Now my safari plans are even more enforced.Coming bck to india forever this july.And safari it will be

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks