Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2020, 08:43   #1
BHPian

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review

Hello Fellow Bhpians

Owning a vehicle (not a two wheeler, a car with four wheels) has been my childhood dream. So when the time came to buy one (financially that is), somewhere in 2014, the options were plenty and the list was long. Only constrains were budget and utility. The inherent confusion was the family man arguing with the enthusiast as to which car to choose from.

Options Considered

-Maruti Swift : I had driven a friends swift sometime back and loved its acceleration. But ruled out as the dealership could not provide us a test drive in time. Plus the SA could not even give us a detailed brief of the car and took their own sweet time in providing me a test drive. Very bad dealership experience.

-Hyundai i10 grand/i20 : The dealership experience was good. But the looks of these cars did not appeal, both exteriors and interiors. I was not looking at a long list of features. Ruled out again. Strictly or people with a long list of bells and whistles.

-Volkswagen Polo : This beauty was really not an option as I had a feeling they were expensive to maintain. The reviews were also not very encouraging. So had actually not considered this even. But once on my regular visits to showrooms for a test drive, I happened to see a Volkswagen showroom. Since you need not pay to test drive a car, I thought might as well lay my hands on one.

The first view of the car (first time so close up, it was blue in colour, highline trim) blew my mind away. The salesman played his bit in acquainting me to the car (All previous news of very poor Volkswagen dealership were proved wrong). The dealership actually had a well trained sales force. The neat layout of the interiors reeked quality and instantly caught my attention.

Then came the test drive. I had hardly driven 10km but the feedback I got from the steering wheel, gear lever, transmission system and the wheels were just amazing. All the other cars in the market that I test drove sorely missed these : "The fun to drive factor". The gear lever never made a noise when shifting (that too on a test drive car which would have taken its share of abuse). This just sealed the deal for me.

A quick visit to the service floor where I was shown original service bills to prove that maintenance costs were not very high and I decided, this would be my first car. I was promised free insurance, road tax, registration, teflon coat, under body coat, original floor mats, mud flaps (yes they were separate) and two year extended warranty on Comfortline variant which literally meant I would get the vehicle at ex showroom prices. Plus the only major advantage Highline variant had was automatic climate control and alloy wheels. Auto climate control was not a major feature and I thought of fitting after market alloy wheels. So the next day, advance was paid and a red colour Comfortline variant was booked.

Delivery was promised in ten days and the reverse countdown started. Four days into this, I was informed that red colour was available only in GT TSI version and they had one if I wished for a test drive. I decided not to for GT version due to budgetary constrains, a decision I deeply regret even to this day. I gave them a second option, my favorite colour, black (the reason for opting red initially was family pressures that ‘black’ was considered a bad omen).

The dealership kept updating me about the location of the vehicle :moved from factory, reached this location, reached dump yard etc. I had gone through various threads on team-bhp on advice for buying a new vehicle and PDI inspections. I still remember seeing my beauty for the first time in the showroom all washed and cleaned up. Asked for VIN number and ensured that the vehicle was manufactured just a month back. Did PDI as per instructions received from team-bhp and the vehicle was ready for delivery the next day. Usual delivery procedures except for a cake being cut (cake with Polo written on it). Handed over a box of sweets to the SA and me and my beauty finally rolled out of the showroom. All stories so far of bad Volkswagen dealerships were blown up in the air.

Specs

- Model : Volkswagen Polo
- Variant : Comfortline
- Year : 2014
- Cost : Rs 5,15,000/- on road
- Colour : Black
- Engine : 1.2 litre, 3 cylinder, 74bhp, 110Nm
- Odo : 38125km
-Running : 10-12kms daily with very less traffic. Long drives on highway once or twice in a year.

She was named Angel, after a cute five year old girl in our neighborhood who was very friendly with me. Through the next six years ‘Angel’ has taken me all over India up till Rohtang pass without a glitch.

I would not be covering the various features and nitty gritties of the car as the same would have already been covered in previous threads. “No pros and cons” points either as “pros” for me maybe “cons” for someone else. My focus would totally be on the ownership experience or rather I would try and cover the ownership experience through pictures/bullets as much as possible to keep the readers more engaged. This vehicle has made me realize the importance of safety and a strong body over bells and whistles features (half of which is hardly used). This is were Volkswagen has hit the bulls eye. A few glimpses of my Angel before we proceed.

Name:  image_20201225_174302.png
Views: 7670
Size:  267.3 KB
Timeless design. The car lost a little of its sheen and shine in the last 7 years

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-20201225_113931.jpg

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-20200725_174443.jpg

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-20201129_104743.jpg

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-20200820_084812.jpg

Name:  image_20201224_080252.png
Views: 7733
Size:  350.0 KB
Aftermarket decals and wheel caps from Amazon

Name:  image_20201224_080404.png
Views: 7568
Size:  239.8 KB
Look from the front is totally plain. Bumper lips hitting slabs are frequent. Got this aftermarket bumper lip from Amazon (made of rubber)

- Exteriors :

- Best in industry paint quality/body fit and finish even after six years.
- Except for a few visual upgrades, nothing much has happened to the exteriors. The only drawback was the ‘black’ colour. The slightest
and smallest of the scratches are prominently visible.
- Sufficient ground clearance.
- The doors still close with the same solid thud even after six years.
- No repair/replacements/faults in six years except due to own fault. This includes fan belts, wiper blades, lights and electrical parts,
other plastic parts.
- All doors open in three stages.
- Hardly any blind spots.
- Mods favorite.

-Dislikes
- Honeycomb bumper does not suit the overall design and is difficult to clean also. Rectified in future models.
- Only one wiper can be lifted from the windscreen for routine cleaning.
- The reverse gear lights does a very poor job. Typical of European cars, there is only one reverse light on the left hand side.
- Shut lines all around the tailgate and all four doors needs to be reduced to prevent dust from accumulating between them and inside
the vehicle.
- I found the ORVMs to be small. They do not give a complete view from bottom of the vehicle uptill the top. Requires adjustment while
reversing.

- Engine, gearbox and Handling:

- Lovely engine note especially while revving (some people call it engine noise)
- No faults or even a change in engine note after so many years.
- World class dynamics and handling : I need to keep an eye on the speedo to know what speeds I am driving at. The vehicle handling
and dynamics at triple speeds may betray you. Even the wind noise at these speeds (with windows rolled down) will deceive you.
- Handles corners/tight turns at speeds in excess of 40-50kmph with very less body roll.
- Super smooth ride: Absorbs almost all of the bumps/potholes etc especially at high speeds.. Can take most of the rough handling
meted out to it.
- One of the smoothest transmission system available in the segment. No noise when gears are being shifted and is a joy to use even
after six years.
- Second/third gears pack sufficient punch to climb even the steepest slopes.
- Fourth gear can manage city driving too, though I do not experience stop go traffics.
- Overtaking: Ideal is 3rd gear in case of constant up/down shifts. Otherwise with cruising speeds, 5th gear does the job beautifully.
- No decrease in engine performance with aircon running.

-Dislikes
- Average is better not spoken of. 10-12kpl in city, 16-17 on highways. Way below industry standards.
- Volkswagen seriously needs to do something about the engine noise inside the cabin. It is way beyond acceptable levels.
- I found the acceleration to be less than a Maruti swift.
- Handling at low speeds needs improvement. The effect of small potholes and humps can be felt.

- Interiors :

- Functional with no bells and whistles. Quality over quantity. Even bluetooth is missing in the audio system.
- Factory fitted music system does the job perfectly. I am a fan of it though audiophiles may not have much appreciation. But for
average people like me, its fantastic. With a speaker on each of the four doors, sound distribution is good. Even, people standing outside
can identify the music you are playing while the vehicle is running. Includes cd/radio/aux/usb.
- Floor mats have a provision for fixing them on the floor which is a huge plus. Prevents it from running around in the foot well. Quite
thoughtful.
- Powerful AC. Both heating and cooling are very effective during winters and summers respectively.
- AC vents shut means shut. Not even the least bit of air comes out.
- MID with useful info (see pics below).
- Knobs/buttons do not have plasticky feeling and quality is the best.
- Adequate pockets/space provided all around for storing nitty gritties.
- Front door pockets can hold 1ltr bottle each. Rear door pockets are adequate for oddities. No bottle holders in rear door pockets.
- No major blind spots, at least I could not find any except for rear headrests obstructing the view through rearview mirrors.
- Adequate boot space for a hatch.
- Height adjustable steering wheel is a huge plus.
- Drivers seat can be adjusted for height.

-Dislikes
- At best suited for max four people, rear seats may feel cramped during long distance runs. Gear tunnel running in between would
make it difficult for the fifth passenger.
- No electric folding ORVM were a big sore point which has been rectified in future models.
- Beige colour interiors likely to get soiled and dirty. Aftermarket seat covers and rexine flooring are recommended.
- Glovebox could have been chilled, nevertheless its hugely functional.
- Windscreen has a tendency to be hazy very fast with the air conditioner running or due to rains. Yet to find a solution for this.
- Rear defogger is very effective.
- Auto dimming rear view mirrors sorely missed.
- Tall drivers would need some getting used to especially on long drives.
- Doors do not have independent locks to lock them from inside. This means that even though the driver has locked all doors, the co
driver or rear passenger can still open the doors with the lever provided unless and until child safety lock is engaged. Hazardous.
- Rear seat split 60:40 to increases the boot space. But they do not fold down completely.
- Volkswagen thought that a boot lamp would be very expensive and hence did not provide them. Sorely missed.
- ORVMs tend to be foggy/hazy obstructing the view during winters and monsoons.
- A rotary knob has been provided on the drivers side to adjust the ORVMs. Though functional a button would have been easier to
operate (akin to Honda). Just a minor point.
- No steering mounted audio controls. I take it as a safety feature as you don't have to shift your attention from the road to change
tracks/increase volume etc.
- Some people may find the interiors a little claustrophobic, especially when compared to a jazz/swift (old version).

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-mdi.jpg

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-mdi-2.jpg

-Safety Aspects : Driver and co driver airbags, ABS. Used to be the safest in the segment while I was purchasing her. A very strong body (including plastic parts) is the biggest plus which absorbs the complete impact in the event of an accident.

Service Aspects

If a Volkswagen goes to an authorized service center for a repair (99% of the time it would be due to a fault on the drivers part and not necessarily a fault of the equipment), expect a bill of nothing less than 10k.

Service Schedule: Once a year
Approximate cost: Rs 9000/- to Rs 10000/- per visit
Approximate Time : 6-7 hours or a day depending on the rush
Service Feedback: Got my service done at three different service centers in the past six years. Contrary to popular belief and feedback, all of them have been good. All the service centers explained to me in detail the work carried out and the cost breakup and the staff were very polite and courteous. They even take a follow up report a week after the servicing has been done to ensure that everything is ok with your dream machine.

Suggestions: Do not get your wheel alignment done from an authorized service center. Wil save you a couple of bucks.

Service centers are limited.

Ownership Feedback

- The vehicle ages well with both the exterior and interior not showing much signs of ageing. I have to mention it again: the door still closes with that same old sweet ‘Thud’ like it used to when I first saw her in the showroom before delivery.
- Getting in and out would be an issue for tall people, but it’s a very small problem, something which you will get used to.
- The odo does not have many miles to it considering the age, but the abuse and the different harsh terrains that she had to face makes up for it.
- No major repairs/faults. (not sure if this is due to the limited mileage on odo)
- No creeks or other sounds from any part of the body except for occasional squeaky noise from the front suspension while crossing humps.
- Strictly for enthusiasts. Handling best in class.
- One touch up/down of all windows using lock/unlock button on the keyfob is an extremely useful feature.
- Best suited for a family of four with small kids. Using it as a pure city car would be a sheer waste of your hard earned money. She needs be taken on the highways for complete fun.
- 10k to maintain a German vehicle is not much, but the average could burn a hole. Strictly not for people with “Kitna deta hai” attitude.
- Extremely expensive spares for a hatch. A set 0f 04 original wheel caps will set you back by about 8k.
- Lack of dealership/service centers. Thankfully a lot many local service centers, even in small towns, are competent to repair this vehicle. Only sour point is the fit and finish in the work. Be ready to accept panel gaps once they bolt on the entire stuff back.
- Has limited off roading capabilities : Ground clearance and skill of the driver are the only limitations. With limited, I mean, you need not worry about taking the vehicle on unbeaten tracks or on a hill trail with no roads. The engine being torquey manages to make up for other deficiencies. I have made her climb some hills in Maharashtra. Plus she was a pleasure to drive while negotiating Rohtang Pass. Only sore point was I had to stick to 2nd/3rd gears even with blacktop roads up till the pass.
- Volkswagen seriously needs to work on the engine noise, in and outside the cabin, even at idle speeds. The note is actually musical for enthusiasts (especially with revving) but your not so enthusiast better half or family may not appreciate it.
- Tall drivers would find their knee hitting against the center console all the time during long drivers.
- The stalks for indicators/windshield wipers are reversed here and will take some time getting used to every time you switch vehicles. They still operate with the same smoothness that they had six years back.
- Resale value is nothing to write home about.
- Not recommended for the family man.

Name:  image_20201224_080325.png
Views: 6699
Size:  121.1 KB
Area behind door handles would require stickers to prevent scratch marks, which occur while you open the door (sorry for the reflection)

Name:  image_20201224_080347.png
Views: 6698
Size:  258.6 KB
Doors guards a must to prevent paint removal on doors. I had a very small garage because of which the doors used to constantly hit the walls removing spots of paint.

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-dirty.jpg

Name:  image_20201224_080547.png
Views: 6678
Size:  363.2 KB
Rear windows do not fold down fully

Name:  image_20201224_080615.png
Views: 6570
Size:  429.0 KB
One of the cleanest engine layout ever seen. Totally decluttered

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-jack.jpg

Name:  image_20201224_080725.png
Views: 6514
Size:  294.2 KB
Functional and ergonomic design sustains prolonged wear and tear. Scratch resistant as claimed by the company

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-floor-rexine-comparison.jpg
Floor rexines a must to prevent soiling of the beige colour floor

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-orvm.jpg

Name:  image_20201224_080902.png
Views: 6420
Size:  232.0 KB
Comparison of rear seat space with one seat fully pushed back and the other not retracted. A 6ft tall guy can still sit comfortably in the rear

Name:  image_20201224_080918.png
Views: 6385
Size:  101.8 KB, Name:  image_20201224_080931.png
Views: 6299
Size:  94.9 KB
Aftermarket door sill from dealership to prevent scratches (original Volkswagen)

Name:  image_20201224_080944.png
Views: 6310
Size:  476.1 KB
Adequate space for holding oddities

Name:  image_20201224_081026.png
Views: 6224
Size:  273.1 KB
Illumination effect at night (foot well lights are aftermarket fittings)

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-20201213_095337.jpg
Useful hooks on both the B pillars

Name:  image_20201224_081105.png
Views: 6247
Size:  197.8 KB
Useful cup provided with the car. Maybe used as a cup/waste basket/ash tray

Name:  image_20201224_081126.png
Views: 6186
Size:  282.7 KB
Adequately spacious glovebox. Note the separate pockets for coins

Name:  image_20201224_081146.png
Views: 6123
Size:  192.0 KB
Aftermarket under body lights

Road Trips Done

• Punjab – Delhi/Punjab - Chandigarh quite a few times.
• Punjab – Kerala and back.
• Punjab – Manali – Rohtang Pass.
• Punjab – Mussourie.
• Punjab – Shimla.

Road Trips Planned

• Punjab – Kerala, again.
• Drive through north – east. Getting the vehicle there is an issue due to the very poor conditions of the road and the time involved.
• Punjab – Maharashtra (location not fixed but somewhere in the ghats)
• Gujarat: It’s more about the drive till there more than exploring the destination.

Accidents

• I would encourage all my fellow enthusiasts to drive very very responsibly, which I am sure all are. Accidents are not intentional and planned, they just happen when you least expect it. I was lucky to escape from these unscathed, thanks to my Angel absorbing the complete impact.
• I happened to hit a concrete block with an iron protruding from it at speeds in excess of 70-80kmph at night while driving on a highway. The concrete block got stuck between the engine compartment and the road bringing the vehicle to a complete halt in about 1-2mtrs.
• I tried to crank the engine, but she refused to start.
• I went out to inspect the damage. To my surprise the body hardly had any damage. The engine compartment was totaled with the oil sump, engine head, valves completely damaged. Apparently the impact of the concrete block was completely taken by the engine compartment and hardly anything was transferred to the cabin saving all of us, not even a scratch on any of the occupants. Except for the engine head, the engine block did not suffer any damage.
• Thanks to the advice of fellow Bhpians, I got the repair done at a local workshop and it set me back by 1 lakh. Authorized service center had quoted in excess of 2 lakhs.
• They got the car running but the quality of work was shoddy with panel gaps all over the bumper area.
• In another instance, I hit a pothole at about 70kmph, which left the front right wheel punctured. There was no immediate sign of the impact. I realized it only once the vehicle started wobbling after running for about 5-6kms. Angel again took the impact well, with the tire wearing out and no major impact on the handling thus averting a major accident.
• On a third instance, I happened to scratch the original wheel caps on a divider at 70kmph due to my carelessness. They just suffered minor bruises and no breakages. Quality at its best.

Upgrades Planned

- Performance/engine upgrades. Contemplating on buying a new vehicle in next two years so this is on hold.
- A set of five alloy wheels. Could not home on to the perfect one so still shopping.

Only regret :Should have gone for GT TSI. I did not due to budgetary constrains and will regret this decision till the time I am alive on planet earth.
Attached Images

Last edited by theunstabledesi : 28th December 2020 at 15:47.
theunstabledesi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 04:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:18   #3
BHPian

Re: Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review

Congratulations on your 6 years with the Polo, it's a lovely car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunstabledesi View Post

-Dislikes
- Only one wiper can be lifted from the windscreen for routine cleaning.
You need to get the wipers in to service position to lift them up. Once you parked the car, turn off the ignition (do not remove the key) and hold down the wiper stalk for couple seconds. This would bring the wipers in to service position.
TurboGuy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 13:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
Congratulations on your 6 years with the Polo, it's a lovely car.

You need to get the wipers in to service position to lift them up. Once you parked the car, turn off the ignition (do not remove the key) and hold down the wiper stalk for couple seconds. This would bring the wipers in to service position.
Thanks a lot. I will try this.
Old 29th December 2020, 17:35   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on completing 6 years with your angel. Loved your review and the way you have maintained your steed. Agree there are a few quirks in VW cars, but despite of it you still learn to love and admire this German beauty. Here's wishing you many more years and miles of happy and safe ownership.

Mine completes 6 years next march and I still love her to bits. I have had some amazing times with my car and planning to hold on for at least 3-4 more years. Here's a picture of my Grey Raptor as I like to call her.
Attached Thumbnails
Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-img_5751.jpg  

Mahesh Prasad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:17   #6

Congrats on 6 years with your Angel. Looks very menacing in black
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunstabledesi View Post
Drive through north – east. Getting the vehicle there is an issue due to the very poor conditions of the road and the time involved.
I beg to differ. NH 127-B from Shillong to Tura is a road meant for your kind of vehicle. The enthusiast kind, I mean. Its a 300-odd km, smooth, curved and twisted goodness on which you can chuck you Angel into every corner and come out smiling on the other side. If you're ever serious about this, let me know. I'll gladly help

Quote:
I happened to hit a concrete block with an iron protruding from it at speeds in excess of 70-80kmph at night while driving on a highway.
hair raising stuff. Glad everyone is ok.
Maedhros is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros View Post
Congrats on 6 years with your Angel. Looks very menacing in black

I beg to differ. NH 127-B from Shillong to Tura is a road meant for your kind of vehicle. The enthusiast kind, I mean. Its a 300-odd km, smooth, curved and twisted goodness on which you can chuck you Angel into every corner and come out smiling on the other side. If you're ever serious about this, let me know. I'll gladly help

hair raising stuff. Glad everyone is ok.
Thanks a lot. Have been to Shillong and drove around in a hired Alto K10. But somehow missed this route. Will surely explore this route and will definitely ask for your assistance and guidance.

And yes thank god, not a scratch on anyone as Angel took the complete impact. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Congratulations on completing 6 years with your angel. Loved your review and the way you have maintained your steed. Agree there are a few quirks in VW cars, but despite of it you still learn to love and admire this German beauty. Here's wishing you many more years and miles of happy and safe ownership.

Mine completes 6 years next march and I still love her to bits. I have had some amazing times with my car and planning to hold on for at least 3-4 more years. Here's a picture of my Grey Raptor as I like to call her.
Thanks a lot. Your Raptor looks amazing. Wishing you miles and miles of happiness with your beauty.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th December 2020 at 19:45. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
theunstabledesi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:50   #8
BHPian

Mine completed 6 years recently and can relate to your experiences. Mileage is the only sore point for an otherwise brilliant product.
Attached Thumbnails
Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-screenshot_2020122923482159.jpg  

Six years with my black beauty Angel : Volkswagen Polo 1.2 Petrol Review-screenshot_2020122923475518.jpg  

RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 06:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Mine completed 6 years recently and can relate to your experiences. Mileage is the only sore point for an otherwise brilliant product.
she looks menacing. Red as the colour I was looking for.
theunstabledesi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks