Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2022, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!

Here is my 2018 Nano AMT in Ranikhet, UK.

I was on a solo trip from Noida to Ranikhet. The Nano is great fun to drive in the hills. Loved every moment of it.

90% of the time, the AMT did its job as expected. For the rest, I had to switch to manual.

My car is shod with 155/65 R12s MRF ZECs on all four wheels. Never did I face an unexpected moment of oversteer. I am used to driving RWD cars (Safari, Sumo), so maybe I didn't notice much.

Overall, it was super fun.

Fun fact. People cheered me several times. (Maybe because they didn't expect someone to drive down from UP16 in a Nano ) Kids even shouted "Nano! Nano!" in remote villages.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!-20220326_175823.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 02:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for reminding me that I've been searching for 2 years to pick up a Nano AMT in decent condition and at a decent price in Mumbai and have been unable to do so yet :(
Old 28th May 2022, 13:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Thanks a lot guys for reminding me that I've been searching for 2 years to pick up a Nano AMT in decent condition and at a decent price in Mumbai and have been unable to do so yet :(

I'm willing to buy a Nano Manual from 2015 or later too, to replace my 2012 model but there don't seem to be too many coming up for sale. I guess those who have Nano's plan to hold on to them, much like the many proud owners in this thread itself.
Old 31st May 2022, 21:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JormundElver View Post
I'm willing to buy a Nano Manual from 2015 or later too, to replace my 2012 model but there don't seem to be too many coming up for sale. I guess those who have Nano's plan to hold on to them, much like the many proud owners in this thread itself.
I know what you mean. Also the ones that do come up are priced extremely ridiculously. I would not want to offer someone half the listed price so I avoid them.

Tata Nano Owners : I went through this thread briefly and if I'm not mistaken one batch of nano amts had some issues, possibly from 2016 is that correct ?
Old 31st May 2022, 21:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I know what you mean. Also the ones that do come up are priced extremely ridiculously. I would not want to offer someone half the listed price so I avoid them.

Tata Nano Owners : I went through this thread briefly and if I'm not mistaken one batch of nano amts had some issues, possibly from 2016 is that correct ?
Rubbish, from where do you guys pickup these absurd news, I'm an extremely proud owner of a 2016 Nano AMT, with 27k km on the clock, it's a daily run for my wife to school with a driver.
My granddaughter's, first choice is Nano for ghumi ghumi, not my Nexon.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 01:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Rubbish, from where do you guys pickup these absurd news, I'm an extremely proud owner of a 2016 Nano AMT, with 27k km on the clock, it's a daily run for my wife to school with a driver.
My granddaughter's, first choice is Nano for ghumi ghumi, not my Nexon.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Actually had seen some reports of shared issues being discussed on the TBHP thread itself. Can't remember the exact context. But remember the issue was centered around one particular time period
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 21:15   #37
BHPian

A generic question related to Tata Nano. Sorry if it is too basic.
As Nano have drum brakes, I feel it is making more screeching sound in morning or when car is cold. After ~2 kms, I feel noise is drastically reduced or not there. Is it me only facing this kind of thing?
Any workarounds to reduce that noise???
Old 18th September 2022, 22:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepReading View Post
As Nano have drum brakes, I feel it is making more screeching sound in morning or when car is cold. After ~2 kms, I feel noise is drastically reduced or not there. Is it me only facing this kind of thing?

Hi,

I've noticed the same thing too, especially during monsoon. It's pretty loud for a few hundred metres and then it goes away as we brake harder. You shouldn't worry about it unless the noise persists for a long time. I think it's the moisture that causes the noise but I'm not sure.

Regards
gt3t0uring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepReading View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3t0uring View Post
Hi,

I've noticed the same thing too, especially during monsoon. It's pretty loud for a few hundred metres and then it goes away as we brake harder. You shouldn't worry about it unless the noise persists for a long time. I think it's the moisture that causes the noise but I'm not sure.

Regards
During monsoon or even after a pressure wash, you will hear that sound, it's just rust which the drums get during these wet situations, once these dry up the screeching sound goes.

So don't worry, enjoy your drive.
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 15:50   #40

Hello! I found a 2015, 5 door Tata nano XT with 28000kms on Odo. The paint is not in best condition and a few minor dents here and there. Everything is stock and service records are available. Asking price is 1.45 lakh.
It drove well enough for a nano. the most I am capable of doing when it comes to cars is refilling washer fluid and changing tyres so What should I check for before buying?
Old 22nd October 2022, 16:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamsi5349 View Post
Hello! I found a 2015, 5 door Tata nano XT with 28000kms on Odo.
Hi!

To verify the kms driven, take the vehicle to an authorised service centre and ask them to show you the service history, while you're at it, ask them to lift up the car and check the underbody (specifically the front half) for any repair work or any sort of rust. Check the front doors for any vertical movement as the hinges tend to get loosen, notice if the pedals are worn out.

Also take a good look at the engine bay. Now there's no engine in the front but you should still check for rust (specifically the section of chassis below the spare wheel) because it is a rust prone area, also try to disassemble the spare wheel as the bolt holding it can get stuck because of rust (recently had to cut open on my Nano).

Last but not the least, go for a test drive, go through diffent patches of terrain, check for unusual sounds and you're good to go.

All the best for your purchase and do share the photos with us post delivery!

Regards.

Last edited by gt3t0uring : 22nd October 2022 at 16:41.
gt3t0uring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 21:43   #42

Quote:
Hi!

To verify the kms driven, take the vehicle to an authorised service centre and ask them to show you the service history, while you're at it, ask them to lift up the car and check the underbody (specifically the front half) for any repair work or any sort of rust. Check the front doors for any vertical movement as the hinges tend to get loosen, notice if the pedals are worn out.

Also take a good look at the engine bay. Now there's no engine in the front but you should still check for rust (specifically the section of chassis below the spare wheel) because it is a rust prone area, also try to disassemble the spare wheel as the bolt holding it can get stuck because of rust (recently had to cut open on my Nano).

Last but not the least, go for a test drive, go through diffent patches of terrain, check for unusual sounds and you're good to go.

All the best for your purchase and do share the photos with us post delivery!

Regards.
Thank you for the advice. Will check it out. The car has pending challans from year 2019 and this makes me a little apprehensive about buying it. The owner assured me that he would pay those fines but if he didn't bother paying them for 3 years I dare not think about what else he is hiding.
It's truly difficult to find a Nano in decent condition.
Old 23rd October 2022, 10:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamsi5349 View Post
Hello! Asking price is 1.45 lakh.
It drove well enough for a nano. the most I am capable of doing when it comes to cars is refilling washer fluid and changing tyres so What should I check for before buying?
If I am not too late!
Despite being a proud owner, the price seems high. What you need to consider -
1.Car is out of production and certain spares are generally not available with service centres. Support is going to get worse only.
2. 28k mileage means engine mounts, gear box play, AC condensers and state of plastic fittings.
3. Front tyre wear pattern and spare tyre.
4. As mentioned before rust in the front bonnet area.
All the best- try get it down to 1L atleast
Old 28th January 2023, 04:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Haha! You should keep your car, Nano is a future classic, a car that will never be made again, best we can do is preserve our examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
I'm sure, it'll come back to life. Tata can't afford to let go of a well-recognized brand like Nano. Usually, these things come back after 20yrs. That's when the nostalgia for a product starts kicking in. E.g. Sierra EV concept, RX100, vintage Bullets and Jawas. Once that happens, we may see well-maintained Nanos like yours commanding a steep premium among enthusiasts who want to own a piece of the Indian automotive history. I intend to hold on to my Nano till at least 2030. I hope you do too. Cheers!
I have owned two Nanos. First was a Yellow color 2009 LX model. I drove it for 45000km in 6 years and traded it in for the GenX Nano in 2015 - the manual XT. Tata gave me 70,000/- value for the 2009 Nano and so the Genx 2015 XT model was for 2.15 lakhs after another 11,000/- discount.

So since July 2015 till now, in 90 months of ownership, I have drive it for 38000kms which is apprx 425km per month. I have gone out of my way to ensure it is in mint condition. Always serviced at TATA at E Moses Road.

Recently, I took it to a 3M store to see if I could get dampening done to reduce NVH and the guy there just could not believe that its an 8 year old car. The 3M dampening cannot be done for the Nano.

Like the two of you, I intend to hold on to it till it becomes a classic car and commands a hefty premium. I am particularly maintaining it with that in mind. An investment. Although it does not demand any monetary inputs and runs like a charm. I am going out of my way to keep it in stock condition. The only change I will do is it to get alloy wheels but that too from Tata motors only. They are not in stock and I doubt they will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
You feel every gravel, every ripple on the road and every "twingg-twangg", jingle-tingle-rumble the car makes! Driver Drowsiness Detection System is an inbuilt feature in the Nano. You'll never feel sleepy. It'll keep you awake!
I have often joked that Nitin Gadkari should get Nanos as a check of how smooth the roads are after they have been built. But seriously, they can genuinely use the Nano for that. If a Nano is rock solid and smooth on a road that means its a damn good road made. The suspension is not very good.
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 18:34   #45
BHPian

Nano Turns 11, 1,19,000kms up.

The year 2022 was the most hectic for the Nano, since March '22 the car has covered 19k kms, almost all of them being just usual. This is also the first time in the car's eleven years of age that it went through two basic maintanence services within the span of 12 months. (Sept '22, Jan '23)

Here's a recap of events that unfurled in the last year:

1. March 2022: 1,00,000 done.
2. April 2022: fuel hose cracked and leaking; replaced.
3. September 2022: 10k service done.
4. October 2022: misfiring; spark plugs cleaned, resolved.
5. January 2023: 10k service done.
6. March 2023: 1,19,000 kms done.

Fuel consumption: 769 litres; 24.7 kmpl

A few pictures:

Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!-20220910_1036504.jpg
September 2022

Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!-20220910_1207453.jpg
September 2022

Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!-20221126_1725422.jpg
November 2022

Ownership Review | Our Tata Nano completes 1,00,000 km!-20221231_1605053.jpg
December 2022