Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Indica V2 Turbo DLG - 5000kms

Hi,

Its been almost 4 months and 1 week, and my 2007 Indica Turbo DLG is due for its first service at 5000 kms. All the days in the last 4 months and 1 week have been a pleasurable drive. The decision of buying a Indica Turbo over a Swift Vxi after considering all my requirements was a great one. The car has lived to my expectations and I am one happy owner and driver .

I've gone to only a few long trips in these 4 months, one being Chennai - Coorg and the other being two trips to good old Pondicherry. On both trips the car performed brilliantly in terms of speed, road handling, comfort and FE. FE being close to 18 kmpl on the highway. The AC is a super chiller, and the hit on the car power is minimal. Maximum speed I took it to on the GQ(Chennai-Bangalore) was 140 kmph. The 1400+ kms trip from Chennai to Coorg and back was simply amazing. And the great twisties on the way from Mysore to Madikeri via Virajpet was amazing too. The car handled well and was predictable enough to push it to the limit.

One incident that happened to me and my car was that on one rainy dark night I didn't see a deep and small pot-hole, and bumped my front left wheel real badly in it. I was going at something like 60 kmph. When I reached home and got to check it, first I found that the wheel hub had gone off and then I found a small dent in the wheel circumference. Took time out on the weekend to get it fixed at a MRF Tyredome in Alwarpet, Chennai. Also, got the wheels aligned and balanced. Total costed me around Rs. 420/-. Also, bought a new hub cap from the Concorde Motors Service centre on ECR for Rs. 376/-. So got the wheels fixed real nice. Also, the alignment and the balancing helped get rid of the vibrations i was getting in the steering wheel at speeds over 100 kmph. So total extra expense in last 4 months on the car apart from fuel was only Rs 796/- .

I wash my car every week, its Carbon black and gets dust on it very quickly. But I diligently clean her every Sunday. Use the Turtle Wax products. Also, clean the interiors with some Nano product from Turtle wax, so the interiors are in good shape and shine.

The city FE that I have got consistently is 14 kmpl with AC always ON (i live in Chennai). The car behaves well in the city having good amount of torque, so not too much of gear changing. Just to reiterate, the AC is simply amazing and cools like anything.

All in all, I am a satisfied and happy owner of an 2007 Indica Turbo DLG. The car has got loads of value in it and one would not regret buying it.

To add to all this, the quality of the Indica has improved vastly in the last years. I can't see any other car in the hatchback segment with so much value as in the Turbo DLG. The TATA sales people were good and I haven't had too much of experience with the Service yet but with the few of my visits for buying some extra bulbs/coolants for my long trips, can't see much going wrong there.

I would like to say that the Indica Turbo is a great car for people looking for value, FE, power, low running cost and reliability together.

Thanks
Saurabh
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:03   #2
BHPian

happy to know that the indica's made another being happy. i'm sure the same delight that you've felt during these 4 months will carry through the years.

i just feel hurt for the indica when people sling mud on it just because the older of its species were yet to evolve. today, it's nearly a different machine. and kudos to tata for giving so much for so little.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Saurabh, I have a very close experience on a similar black Indica Turbo DLG since the day it came out of the showroom (belongs to a very very close friend). It is really a car that people should experience before they give words to their perception (a wrong one). We have driven it over huge distances and serves as a daily city runabout as well.

The best part is the FE. It returns around 13-14kmpl in city with AC. Now it is actually supposed to return more than the NA Indica. Then what gives? Well, its such a hoot to drive that people become lead footed with this car. As my friend says, "I love to get on that chutney's incline (its a sharp incline here in hyderabad on which most cars labor to get up). It gives me a kick to engage the 3rd and zoom past all the other cars crawling up the incline.". No wonder he gets 12.5-13 in city.

Take good care of your car buddy and it will really keep you happy. I have had a long experience with this species and I know for sure...

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd July 2007 at 16:59.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Saurabh, Turbo is really a nice car, my friend also bought it and we also did one long trip in his car (Kundapur, Murudeshwar, Jog Falls) and I car behaved excellently well...

Abhi
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:19   #5
BHPian

Cool review. Do post your comments on service and how it performs after that. The 5k service is mostly only a check with no engine oil change or anything. So, you may not really feel a big difference.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Be careful of those potholes. The heavy front end means frequent rim bends because the tires are not exactly high profile.
And do post some pics too!
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good report.

However, would you not agree that the exhaust is a little too low (atleast is on the GLG, and it comes loose after months hitting the same speed breaker!)

And curiously, what are the missing features - stuff that you would've wanted, besidse a 1.3 mjtd ??
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:24   #8
BHPian

i will not be surprised if the day comes that the indica will command its own passionate fan following. maybe there already is, but the car's always let itself known only to people with close association with it. things are getting better and better by the quarter, and it endears itself to you in the way it gives you a lot, asking for little.
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:14   #9
BANNED

Going by the feedback on Tata Indica User group on Yahoogroups, Indica rims are more prone to get a bend. This can be attributed to the heavy weight of the vehicle.
Most taxi drivers (err.. they are the only indica diesel users I know) I have met report 20-21 KM FE on highways. yours ison the lower side.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Good report.

However, would you not agree that the exhaust is a little too low (atleast is on the GLG, and it comes loose after months hitting the same speed breaker!)

And curiously, what are the missing features - stuff that you would've wanted, besidse a 1.3 mjtd ??
@phamilyman: I don't think the exhaust is too low, I have driven my car on really really bad roads and also on speed bumps, you just have to know when to slow down. I would have loved to have a 1.3 MJTD on my Indica but other than that, I don't like the 1 min idle time after starting and before shutting off, but then again thats there with any other turbo car. The rear wiper doesn't come with the DLG model, so I am thinking of getting one fixed in this service. Also, adjustable steering wheel would be great. Thats all I can think off right now
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Going by the feedback on Tata Indica User group on Yahoogroups, Indica rims are more prone to get a bend. This can be attributed to the heavy weight of the vehicle.
Most taxi drivers (err.. they are the only indica diesel users I know) I have met report 20-21 KM FE on highways. yours ison the lower side.
@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR: The 18 kmpl FE on highway is due to me pushing the car to its limits . I am sure driving it leisurely will return 20+ kmpl on highway.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:55   #12
BHPian

Neat review saurabh. Indica DLG Turbo is indeed a vlue for money. I love the way the Turbo kicks in. Man I miss my car..
Old 25th July 2007, 23:21   #13
BHPian

@TSEA: Yea man, the turbo just zooms the speeds, in 3rd gear the power delivery with the turbo is awesome. And I love the way the engine doesn't rev too hard, at 3000 rpm I am already getting peak power
Old 25th July 2007, 23:31   #14
BHPian

very nice review Saurabh. I'm also considering to buy Indica turbo but waiting for Indica Dicor to be launched.
Old 14th August 2007, 00:02   #15
BHPian

Please compare engine sound of turbo with Xeta? What do you think regarding the maintenance cost of the diesel engine and resale value in comparison to petrol version i.e. Xeta?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks