Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 15:03   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You changed your ECU 7 times in 7 months!!! Who is this Shrimankar, and what do you mean by Tata-Approved? Is he an authorised service center or merely an installer? Its obviously a bad CNG install...the problem lies there. The quality of a CNG kit install is just so important that it can be the difference between making or breaking a car. Doesnt the Xeta CNG come with a factory fit kit?

Why send an email only to the GM of Vivek Autos? Write straight to Tata and see the results for yourself. Steeroid has insisted that they are incredibly pro-active.

Your experience just enforces my belief : If you buy a Tata, make sure its diesel.
Old 1st August 2007, 16:14   #17
BHPian

My advice, write a short letter to Mr. Ratan Tata briefly explaining your problem and also enclose the previous letter that you have sent.

Then sit back and these guys will be after you then to attend to your problem. This is because there would be follow-up from his office at the highest level to resolve the complaint.
Old 1st August 2007, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

U Should definately demand that they take the car back and give u a full refund.Say Tata To a Tata for the rest of your life then.
Old 1st August 2007, 23:25   #19
BHPian

so have you dispatched the letter to Tata as of yet! if so please do post the letter here for us to read!
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

The update is that I have received no response from Mr.Mukherji in these days. My attempts at contacting him through phone have also gone in vain. I have posted a link to this thread on TATA Motor's homepage where they have a section for product feedback. And am currently seeking a certain member's help in informing me as to where i should fire off this letter so that it reaches the right places at TATA itself.

Karandeep: Yes, all the work has been carried out under warranty. No way in hell I would have spent 12,300/- each time for an ECU change. BUt still I've had to waste my effort and time unnecessarily.

Benbsb: I agree its long. If TATA officials cant be bothered to read it entirely when its i their inbox I am sure they'll read a summary in overdrive, autocar etc.

Ishan: Am acting on your suggestion. Watch this space.

phamilyman: Extremely surprising to know that your car has not had any problems. Thank your lucky stars bro. Right now the car seems to be running fine but will show signs of trouble in the next few hundred kms based on previous records.

GTO: The Xeta does not come with a factory fitted CNG kit...as yet. TATA has approved a third party vendor which is Shrimankar for places such as Delhi and Mumbai. As for buy only TATA diesel, the non CNG Xetas have been incredibly reliable from what I know.
Old 3rd August 2007, 23:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
As for buy only TATA diesel, the non CNG Xetas have been incredibly reliable from what I know.
That is the problem. They have not tested it as much as the regular vehicles. In fact I suspect given a choice they won't even give you a CNG option. Its just to keep pace with the rest that they have allowed a third party vendor to do the retrofitment in these two cities. And obviously with no proper QC the retrofitment work is always a lottery.

Is it any wonder they do offer an extended warranty on CNG Xetas. At least they did not till the last I heard.
Old 4th August 2007, 16:01   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Are you kidding? I do remember Tata launching the Indica CNG "officially". What is so official about it, if the install is done by someone else?
Old 4th August 2007, 17:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Nothing much really, if you look at it that ways. Only thing official here is that if you get it done through this "official" third party vendor in these two cities only you do not loose out on the warranty. Otherwise any such modification will mean the warranty on the vehicle is immediately void.

It is a half hearted attempt by Tatas to keep pace with the competitor's vehicles (read Maruti and its LPG vehicles) in these cities and notch up some numbers. I do not think they have really put in much in terms of R&D to iron out all the possible glitch areas. In this case Deeps car has probably developed one such glitch. Its just because the conversion was "official" that he has got so many ECU changes FOC.
Old 8th August 2007, 19:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is the latest. I met Mr Mukherji today who told me that he had indeed forwarded the mail to senior officials at TATA and was trying to get in touch with me. Unfortunately we both had changed our numbers in the same days so we couldn't make contact with each other.

TATA have now asked me to drop off my car at Vivek Autos and they will then deal with the headache of making sure that Shrimankar rectifies the car. It may not be possible to receive the car on the same day due to Shrimankar's strange working philosophies. And he has promised to compensate me for the money I have to spend on a taxi in these two days.

So tomorrow I'll hand over the car to them and hopefully this will be the last of the CNG issues as the other Xetas which have undergone the retrofitment are showning no signs of problem...even those used as taxis.
Old 8th August 2007, 20:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

GTO and Zappo: TATA are working on launching a factory fitted CNG Xeta by the end of this year or early next year. The wiring harnesses and other modifications that were carried out on my car are part of TATA's RnD in that direction.
Old 9th August 2007, 15:42   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am happy to hear that Tata is stepping in now. But that still doesnt take my attention away of how they can launch a car "officially" and have someone else fit the kit. To me, thats a very important install and I wouldnt trust an "authorised babu" as much as the guys on the factory floor.

Tata isnt the only one taking the easy way out. Someone informed me that Hyundai has done the same with their recently launched CNG Santro.

Goes to show why Maruti is the indisputed no.1. Atleast they fit the gas kit on the WagonR duo themselves.
Old 9th August 2007, 15:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Maruti and get peace of Mind FREE
Old 9th August 2007, 19:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Buy a Maruti and get peace of Mind FREE
Totally Totally Totally second that statment
Old 10th August 2007, 19:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

The latest update is that my car was dropped off at Vivek yesterday morning and was taken to Shrimankar before lunch yesterday. Till today 6pm they have changed the entire wiring but still have not bothered to make the connections. Tomorrow Mr Mukerji and Mr Aggarwal will be visiting Shrimankar personally "to have a word"...whatever that means. So provisionally I'll get the car tomorrow afternoon as it will be tested after the work has been completed.

@GTO:TATA and Hyundai aren't the only ones. Ford have also apointed Shrimankar to "officially" install CNG kits on the Ikon and GM have done the same with the Optra CNG. So I guess most manufacturers are taking the easeir way out in dealing with the rising demand for CNG/LPG cars.
Old 12th August 2007, 19:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back yeswterday evening. It seems to be running properly fior now and much more smoothly. But only time will tell if the issues have been resolved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks