Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Great review deepakvrao! The Laura is an awesome car to own. The DSG is like Bliss.. The number of goodies in the Laura is a lot.

cya
A
Old 29th August 2007, 13:11   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
Wonderful car Deepak. I have been seeing the count of Lauras increase on Mumbai roads, but never ever knew of the features!!

The ones I have shortlisted above are amazing and truly well thought during the design stage.

Could you or someone else please let me know what does "Auto dimming int/ext mirrors" and "Foot pedals that move away in the event of a crash" mean?

All Laura owners,... have a great time with your car.
The mirrors have the autodimming feature when they detect a headlight from behind tending to glare the driver, and the pedals are supposed to move away from their positions in the event of a crash - not tested yet and hopefully never will.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
The mirrors have the autodimming feature when they detect a headlight from behind tending to glare the driver
Phew! These mirrors seem to have a lot of features built into them. Any idea how much they cost ?
Old 29th August 2007, 13:14   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Hey Deepak,
Cool review of the Laura.
Would you mind sharing the name of the used car dealer where you picked up the car?
Cheers
I have a guy here who locates cars from users/dealers. This car he got me from a user. His name is Munawaer and I can give you his number if interested.

Abhilash - yes its the top end version. The lower end is only MT and is without sunroof and front parking sensors. Also only part leather upholstry and few other goodies less.

Dippy, Ajmat - I'm happy with this - not willing to shell out another 25K right now

Regarding the "courtesy wipe" - I read in another forum

"I thought that was what you get in a posh upmarket loo"
Old 29th August 2007, 13:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gto,

Absolutely right - the Accord is faster but for the FE of this car and the goodies and the smaller size I felt it was worth the swap. AFAIK the 2.4 L Accord does 0-100 in 10.4 sec while the Laura takes 11.8 sec. While that is a significant difference you have to realize my earlier Innova lumbered along at about 18 sec so this is faaaast for me.

KPBhatt,

I pointed this out just because most people think its a relaunched Octy. It is in fact much more loaded.

Great review.

Just curious:
At 11.8 seconds, isn't Civic AT a match for Laura (if not faster...)
Old 29th August 2007, 13:28   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review :-) I also didn't know lot of things before buying. Most of these little features don't cost much, just require manufactures to be thoughtful. It is a good drivers car and very comfortable and effortless to drive in 0-130KMPH range - both City and Highways. But not a racing car - lot of cars can beat this car in straight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
"Auto dimming int/ext mirrors"
the intensity of the light you see in your IRV and ORV mirrors from the headlights of the vehicles behind you will be reduced so it won't hurt your eyes. imagine a bus with blinding high-beam behind you in city traffic!

Quote:
"Foot pedals that move away in the event of a crash"
I believe this happens in side crash. I guess the pedals lower to the floor and move to the appropriate side. It just so your feet wont get stuck between the pedals when your body moves to the side during a side impact. Doors are unlocked, fuel supply is stopped, etc. etc. during the impact. Hope I never have to find out :-)

There are some more i found useful in my experience:
it beeps if i forget to switch off the lights and take the key out of ignition. helps me as i have the habit of locking the car without turning the lights off.
got a shopping bag hook in the boot, so all my (er. my wife's) shopping goodies stay put and not thrown around.
i have the MT version, and it doesn't stall when u take the foot of accelerator - ECU keeps RPM from falling lower than minimum to stay in gear - even if uphill. Of course, it does stall if you are already in a low RPM - ECU doesn't increase the RPM but prevents it from falling below the minimum. Good for crawling.

some negatives:
no button to fold-in the OVRMs!
not very quiet for the price - the TDI-PD engine and tire noise creeping in. i need to check the tire pressure and see if it helps.
rear mud flaps are small, so rear bumper is always splashed with mud. must be some aerodynamic thing!

Last edited by androdev : 29th August 2007 at 13:31.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a guy here who locates cars from users/dealers. This car he got me from a user. His name is Munawaer and I can give you his number if interested.
Standard automobiles guy ? Not had a good expereince with him
Old 29th August 2007, 13:33   #23
BHPian

thanks for your answers deepak and androdev.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Deepak, Can you share Munawaer's number pls. Thanks.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepak, that was one comprehensive list of features that you outlined. Looks like its better than a entry level Merc ( I could be wrong). Frankly speaking, i never drove the Laura but see so many of them selling offlate, probably the buyers like you are mesmersized by the number of features it offers. Thanks for sharing!
Old 29th August 2007, 14:30   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Phew! These mirrors seem to have a lot of features built into them. Any idea how much they cost ?
Dont even want to know but they are not self folding

Androdev - Self folding ORVM are really a needed feature which they have left out. Never realized about the shopping bag hook. Also the boot opens from remote and self locks when you shut it - smart

Anand - its like Androdev said this is not a great racer but a lovely drive around city and highways both

Ajmat - I have used Munawar for about 10 years now and he has got me decent low mileage cars. As always you have to be wary about dealers and Munawar knows that I would rather buy from an owner so he does not show me dealer cars.

Alubjarus - here you go 98440 56874
Old 29th August 2007, 15:02   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ajmat - I have used Munawar for about 10 years now and he has got me decent low mileage cars. As always you have to be wary about dealers and Munawar knows that I would rather buy from an owner so he does not show me dealer cars.
It always works better if you know the guy for some time.
You can probably help Ajmat here doc.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:24   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Pedals in an accident...

I think they move up.

It saves one of the places your legs get broken as you move up and forward at the same time that the front of the car is moving down on you :(

People with vivid imaginations make safer drivers!
Old 30th August 2007, 00:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

A very ncie review.

Quote:
Self folding ORVM are really a needed feature which they have left out
I wonder why Skoda leaves this out, the Civic, Corolla, Optra have it.

One peace of advice, get a remap or tunnig box from Petes and believe you me its the best thing money can buy for your car, not only your car runs smoother & better and faster and has more torque, it gives better FE in the process too and the fantastic chassy of the Laura needs much more then 105bhp IMHO, common even a Civic comes with 130bhp, a Corolla with 125bhp, Optra Magnum with 120bhp, Lancer Invex with 118bhp so where are all the horses of Skoda cars, all packed in the RS, a real shame, that a 105bhp car being sold at 19Lacs

What tyres is the car running currently on.
Old 30th August 2007, 04:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

wow that was some detailed reveiw of the car. i had no clue so many things came with it. man i rejected the lauren and bought a second corolla AT . i wish i had listened to my father.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks